PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Weekly Flylady Thread 2nd March 2015

Natty68
Natty68 Posts: 3,336 Forumite
Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
edited 5 March 2015 at 11:33PM in Old style MoneySaving
Welcome to Spring

In keeping with Dusty's thread from last week the lists will be the same as last week to enable more of us to feel we had achieved something and with spring approaching; each day will give you some basic flying, some deep cleaning choices and some decluttering choices. As ever feel free to pick and mix what needs doing for you according to your ability and time.

Welcome to the weekly Flylady thread. If you need help organising your week or getting motivated when it comes to housework then come and join us.

Thank you Dusty for last week's thread

Every room comes back around next week so please don’t stress about catching up

These lists are only suggestions and not a must do list; you are more than welcome to post and follow your own lists.

Also adding a declutter mission each day will help to gradually clear the clutter and make flying easier.

A few of the basics before we start the week

Hotspots are areas where if one thing gets put there, loads of other things follow!

Daily routines are anything you need to do on a daily basis like washing, swish and swipe kitchen and bathroom, ironing, making beds, vacuuming high traffic areas, making meals etc.

Night-time routines are all things which make getting ready in the morning easier, preparing clothes for the next day, making lunches, swish & swipes of the kitchen and tidying the living room before you go to bed plus personals like shower/brush teeth etc.

Fling Boogie - stick on some loud music, grab a bin bag and whiz around the house finding items that can go out with the rubbish, recycling, for charity shop, basically anything that will stop it cluttering your home.

Swish and swipe/S&S means have a quick wipe over an area such as a sink or toilet to prevent the build up of dirt. This is usually done on a daily basis

HHE/HHC/HHI Half Hour exercise/challenge/ironing ... run around for 30 minutes to the Benny Hill music frantically cleaning exercising or ironing.. other music may be used if you prefer!

Click here to read Toots wonderful welcome guide

Mystical Monday ~ Kitchen and Dining Room
Basic Flying...
Sweep and mop the floor
Wipe the worktops, removing everything that shouldn't be there
Sweep and mop the floor
Wipe the inside of the fridge and see what needs using up
Deep Cleaning...
Scrub manky marks off walls and tiles
Run appliances through a clean cycle.. clean filters, drawers and doorseals first!
Empty and wash out bins
Clean out the freezer.. defrost if necessary otherwise just emptied and sorted.. scrub those door seals!

Decluttering...
Empty and clean out food cupboards.. make inventory so you know what you don't need to buy!!
Clean out the cupboard with the pet food/miscellaneous items!

Twinkling Tuesday ~ Living Rooms, Reception Rooms, Hallway and Stairs
Basic Flying…

Declutter and vacuum floors
Hoover stairs
Tidy magazine rack
Check smoke alarms
Deep Cleaning…
Wash any soft furnishings and plump cushions and fluff up throws
Vacuum sofa and chair cushions, including underneath them.
Clean smelly pets and their bedding
Dust and deweb
Polish electricals, glass and any unit tops.

Decluttering...
Tidy coats, bags and shoes
Update finances spreadsheets
Catch up on any important phonecalls and make any upcoming appointments.

Wishful Wednesday ~ Master bedroom and Landing
Basic Flying

Strip, wash and replace the bedding
Hoover floor in bedroom and on landing
Do your pillows need replacing?
Deep Cleaning
Empty and wash out all bins upstairs
Binbag dance
Dust surfaces and make sure no cobwebs
Wash windows and turn mattress before replacing with bedlinen

Decluttering
Sort one area of clothes or linen storage, make sure only what should be in there is. Anything that has had it’s day or doesn’t belong there remove it.
Sort through a bag or box of stuff you’ve not looked at in months. I am certain there will be stuff in there that you don’t need – I know I have some.
15 minutes floordrobe clearing..
Binbag dance!!

Thrilling Thursday ~ Bathroom, WC and Study
Basic Flying...

Polish taps so that they shine..
Sling shower curtain/bathmats in the wash and scrub down the slimy tiles!
Vacuum/mop floors in these rooms!
Deep Cleaning...
Scrub the bath/shower/basins/toilets/bidets etc.. don't forget the outside of the loo and under the scanky rim.. it gets naaaaaasty under there!!.. oh, and don't forget the top of the cistern!
Sling shower curtain/bathmats in the wash and scrub down the slimy tiles!
Replace bathmats/shower curtains/sponges and toothbrushes that are manky

Decluttering...
Clear and wipe window sills and frames and make the blinds/curtains nice and clean
Clean out the toiletries cupboard and put back the stuff you use.. and fling the stuff you don't! Do any necessary decanting so you have fewer almost empties!
Declutter and wipe the desk.. do any filing you find on there!
Set pc to declutter cache and defrag..
Sort all empties to recycling and make a note of anything you need to restock

Flying Friday ~ Everything Else
Flying Basics...

Hoover floors in childrens rooms
Empty any bins that have been missed
Strip some neglected sticky bedding
Dust anything you've missed during the week
Deep Cleaning...
Wipe paintwork in a room you haven't done in a while
Hoover any carpet you haven't done
Clean front and backs of 2 radiators
Wipe light switches

Decluttering...
Sort through a box of toys/junk
Sort through a drawer or cupboard
Straighten a bookcase..the books not the actual bookcase!!
End of week fling!! grab a binbag and fill it with stuff to leave the house.. rubbish or charity shop or to donate to a friend!
Mortgage Free as of 20.9.17
Declutter challenge 2023, 2024 🏅 🏅⭐️⭐️
DH declutter challenge award 🏅⭐️

Comments

• froddington
    froddington Posts: 6,697 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 1 March 2015 at 10:57PM
    I'm in - thanks Natty :A

Need to make a big effort this week as I'm away most of next week :j :D

Decluttering is happening but not at the speed I'd like so will focus on that.

Flylady Meet

Just to confirm that some of us will be meeting at the WDYTYA Live exhibition in Birmingham on Friday 17th April.

Also, for those not interested in that, we can meet for lunch and / or dinner on Thursday 16th April and / or dinner on Friday 17th.

Please let me know if you are interested - I know Jazee and Ionafan are :D
    "There's only one way of life and that's your own" - Levellers

"I'm feeling like a Monday but someday I'll be Saturday night" - Bon Jovi
  • froddington
    froddington Posts: 6,697 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    My list!

Night all, sleep well xx

Mystical Monday ~ Kitchen

Basic Flying...
    Vacuum the floor

Deep Cleaning...
    Run appliances through a clean cycle.. clean filters, drawers and doorseals first!
    Empty and wash out bins
    Clean out the freezer.. defrost if necessary otherwise just emptied and sorted.. scrub those door seals!

Decluttering...
    Empty and clean out food cupboards.. make inventory so you know what you don't need to buy!!
    "There's only one way of life and that's your own" - Levellers

"I'm feeling like a Monday but someday I'll be Saturday night" - Bon Jovi
  • ionafan
    ionafan Posts: 4,424 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Thank you Natty, I'm in. Having flown all through the house this weekend, I have decided to ignore "normal"cleaning again until next Saturday, and I shall be concentrating on whatever deep cleaning and decluttering is appropriate from both the new thread and Dusty's from last week.

Today I have done some sorting and decluttering in the study-bedroom, trying to make room in the cupboard for 36 ring binders which I've ordered to hold the bulk (I hope) of my family history records. I am determined to get the boxes and drawers in the loft sorted this summer.

Tomorrow, in addition to the dailies, I aim to
    - clean out the herbs and spices cupboard
    - clean out the under-sink cupboards in the kitchen and utility
    - sort out the vases and pots of dead plants in the utility :o

This week I also need to update our charity's website and write a newsletter.

There is hardly anything in my diary, but it looks as if it will still be a busy week!

(((Hugs))), spoons and sticks all round x
  • rubiesr4eva
    rubiesr4eva Posts: 355 Forumite
    Thanks for the list Natty.

Yesterday I think I was in the house for about half a hour, so nothing got done, as predicted.

Today, got 3 loads of washing done, all ironing, cleaned stairs and landing, tidied our bedroom and made a good start on the kitchen, so glad that's on tomorrow's list :)

Tomorrow my extra's are:-

Paid work in the morning.
    Tidy and dust playroom, spotted piano earlier, in need of a good dusting.
    Do utmost to complete vat returns.
    Start decorating of DS2's room (would like to finish it this week)

Only here for 4 days this week, as we are away fri-sun for DS2's dance comp, so really want to leave house tidy, with all washing done (well that's the plan). However, leaving DD and her bf at home, so also hoping to come home to a tidy house too haha.
    Loving life to the full, just need purse full too :)

2015 GC £561.86 / £3710 Mar GC 0.00 / 280.00
    Feb NSD - 8 Mar NSD - 1
    50p Challenge 2015 - £62.50
  • Narc0lepsy
    Narc0lepsy Posts: 2,663 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Thanks for list.
    After a weekend of visitors, the house isn't too bad to start the week with. No scheduled work for tomorrow or Friday, and only a couple of hours booked each day for the rest of the week so I'd better not waste all that time.............still making progress with doom office, so hopefully if the weather isn't nice enough for gardening, I can continue.
    To-do list on 'puter (actions from emails) not too bad.
    need to do v1sa bill
    quite a bit of filing to do
    a few outings to investigate - a couple of conferences; friends today suggested we go to Gardener's World Live with them in June; just got notification for Open Garden Squares in London for the same weekend; semi-planning biking trip with my brother for French summer solstice music festivals (June again)......June is looking mad! Also planning cruise with my mum; 1st one I liked the look of was.......in June......so a lot of research, organisation and rationalising I think.
    Must pick up exercise properly again and get back into proper eating/ sleep/ exercise/ life patterns which have been haywire since Xmas.

happy flying and life to you all
    Remember...a layer of dust protects the wood beneath it.
  • Frizzle_2
    Frizzle_2 Posts: 1,104 Forumite
    We are in again. Thanks for the list natty.

Today has been full on. Church this morning. went to see mum and dad, did some more of the giraffe costume. Did the weekly shopping. Got home and we had a late lunch. Tidied up and the. We all watched the wizard of oz. 70 years old and my 3 and 6 year olds were glued to it! Then we did homework, dinner and school work and finally finished the giraffe costume! Finally stopped at 10.30 and still didn't get as much work done for school as I would like!

The giraffe costume looks really cute! For someone who doesn't sew or is remotely crafty, I was quite chuffed with myself! I did have to reign ds1 in as at one point he wanted a 3d head that made him two foot taller! Lol!
    Night all. Catch up in the week x
    Grocery challenge-
    J- 52.40/£200 M- 187.56 A- 212.93 M-193.44 F-201.31 J- 240.62 D- £149.27 N- £210.69 O- 196.80
    S- 213.68 A- £213.03 J- 249.66 J-206.29, M- 252.91, A-£250, M- £250

debt free as of feb 2015. Now saving for deposit for new house! Moving in June 2015!!!
  • Dustykitten
    Dustykitten Posts: 16,503 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Thanks Natty I'm in and hoping to do a bit better (just not sure when)

I've just finished my last report for tomorrow night, it is a fun one to do but takes about 4 hours of all figures. I'll just email it out and then head off to bed.

Need to go and see Mum tomorrow (she is still not doing well at all mentally but will hopefully attend appointment with MH doctor and councelor this week).

Fingers crossed please anybody who can for DS1's GF being able to get an emergency passport tomorrow.
    The birds of sadness may fly overhead but don't let them nest in your hair
  • lynnejk
    lynnejk Posts: 5,732 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler Debt-free and Proud!
    Hiya everyone

I'm in for the week. Sorry I've not been very involved this last week but was feeling a bit down.

RANT ALERT
    Someone made some unpleasant comments and I took it to heart. Have decided to ignore rude people and their comments from now on and just get on with my life. I try my best to be friendly and helpful and if people want to take it the wrong way then I'm sorry but that's me. I'm not perfect but then neither are they !!
    SORRY for rant

Thank you Natty for this week and thank you Dusty for last week :D

If it's gone I've done it or don't have one

Mystical Monday ~ Kitchen and Dining Room
    Basic Flying...
    Sweep and mop the floor
    Sweep and mop the floor
    Deep Cleaning...
    Decluttering...

I'm at work Monday and Wednesday this week so will maybe have to move jobs about a bit - we'll see as kitchen not too bad atm.

Am avidly watching my balcony boxes as I have the first daffodil nearly out - such a brave little bulb as it was snowing again today !!

De-cluttering is still on-going. About 1/4 way through all the paperwork and files. Today DH and I cleaned out the car so that's all done - tick :)

Hope you all have a marvellous Monday
    Lx

£10day.2014=3213/2015=3421/2016=3238/2017=2702/2018=498..APR=12.03/300
    GrocC.2014=2162/2015=2083/2016=218/2017=1996/2018=450..APR=17.13/200
    Bulk buy.......APR=233.76
    GC.NSD..2015=216/2016=213/2017=229/2018=39..APR=03/15
    SPC130:staradminx61..2014=1178/2015=1287/2016=4616/2017=3843
    OS WL= -2/8 ......CC =00......Savings = £13,140
  • bossymoo
    bossymoo Posts: 6,924 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I sooo need to be in!

Thanks for the lists ladies x

Hugs lynnejk - people like that are horrid and it's much more a reflection on themselves when They lash out at others. They need to bring others down you see xxx
    Bossymoo

Away with the fairies :beer:
  • Dustykitten
    Dustykitten Posts: 16,503 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Morning all

DS3 is not well, most unusal, so no school.

Lynne big hugs sweetie, glad you have decided to ignore them.

Just finishing morning tasks and then I'll do the kitchen.
    The birds of sadness may fly overhead but don't let them nest in your hair
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport