PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Old style telly and radio

Comments

• beemuzed
    beemuzed Posts: 2,188
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    Don't know about OS TV - but have just watched the BBC2 "toughest place to be...a binman" It really made us think how very rich we are compared with what we were watching.
    Resolution:
    Think twice before spending anything!
  • bearcub wrote: »
    I love any programme with Neil Oliver presenting, and preferably history! ;)

My family are BIG fans of Neil Oliver
  • lilac_lady
    lilac_lady Posts: 4,469 Forumite
    bearcub wrote: »
    I love any programme with Neil Oliver presenting, and preferably history! ;)

Me too! :D
    " The greatest wealth is to live content with little."

Plato

• jackyann wrote: »
    I love Radio 4 extra - it has polished up a lot of old favourites - from Round the Horne (!) to One Foot in the Grave.
    I set to record the Crime & Thriller Hour every day, as I usually enjoy at least half of it, if not all.
    On Radio 4 I usually find that either Book of the Week or the Woman's Hour Serial worthwhile; and don't forget The Archers!

I am so glad that the wireless is alive and well in lots of people houses I listen to Radio Four all the time as I can't abide mindless drivel on the commercial stations.This morning as I have for as long as I can remember I will listen to The Archers omnibus and catch up on Ambridge (sad i know) I usually have the afternoon play on whilst knitting and Money Box Live is a great programme especially when we have had a budget as it explains very clearly and concisely what the changes will be.
    As I live alone its a great companion and wherever I am indoors I can have the wireless on and its a leasant voice that can be my companion during the days when I don't venture out ,especially in the winter when its very cold .I am a bit choosy what I watch on t.v. as I don't like 'reality' shows at all and I'm not keen on flashy game shows either The Antiques road trip on t.v. late afternoon is quite quirky and funny and I love to see what they seem to get for the old tut they have bought.
    General knowledge quizs I enjoy and sometimes watch Pointless (mainly because my eldest DGS Danny is a researcher on there) I rarely watch stuff on saturday night as I find the quality of light entertainment appalling.I abhor bad language on t.v. and I'm not a prude but I just don't find it entertaing for people to swear and cuss.If I wanted that I would find a pub not my sitting room.I don't think I have heard mush cussing on R4 unless its been by accident and the drama is very good on there at the moment far better than T.V. I like Upstairs downstairs and history programmes but find animal stuff a bit 'samey' If I have seen one elephant I am not going to get excited seeing another one I'm afraid,the same with fish I prefer my fish wrapped in batter with a few chips.Its lazy entertainmant as no one has to do very much the animals or fish do it all.Nature programmes just aren't my thing but I can see why folk would like them though.Still the T.V. license is still the best value for money at the moment although I do get cross with some of the daft things that get on there, but that is what the switch is for and if you don't like it turn it off and do something else :):)
  • I gave up TV about 18 years ago, and didn't miss it. All my chums however rallied round and one of them gave me a TV [I gave it back a few years later] and then I did Media at uni so had to have a TV and video [videos, remember them?], and moved to DVD after a bit. But I never really watched TV again 'properly' after giving it up*...I have worked from home for about the last 12 years on and off - and never ever have the TV on - and hence I might watch individual programmes but I'm completely a radio gal now.

*I did spend 3 months watching reruns of Seinfeld on Paramount when i was off work for 3 months with a bad injury. Up, downstairs with quilt, painkillers, snooze, seinfeld, snooze, seinfeld, painkillers, snooze, seinfeld, snooze, wake up, get dressed, make something for us for tea, painkillers, snooze, bath, pjs, painkillers, bed.

I will have 6 Music on all day every day if possible as it's packed with music that is good. Unlike R1 which is excruciating to listen to or R2 which is soporific. I have a Digital Radio Widget in the car now which I can also move to the Camper van when we are out and about. Yay. When it first started I was on the Breakfast show with Phil Jupitus and won a Weezer CD - so I've been listening to it now for 10 years. So glad I got a widget!

Sometimes 5 live for daily news but the sport coverage puts me off listening to that for too long. Yawn.

R4 is excellent, and was my station of choice before the Widget came along, I'd only switch to 5 Live when particular topics [like how to cook fish] came on.

TV - I like QI - and it drives me crazy when they don't tell you it's a repeat. I don't pay attention enough to know when the series are being first broadcast so I am often disappointed when I have sat down to watch it specially. I like HIGNFY. And anything with Lee Mack in it. I watch the odd Foodie or Growing Veg programme, particularly when colleagues are on it. I like the Hairy Bikers [in person] but the progs are a little meaty for me.

And I love programmes where I can learn how to do stuff. I was taught how to make my own pea and bean netting this week, and am now awaiting an ebay purchase of an old style shuttle [c'mon postie], and am in the middle of a 2.4 x 4.8 m net for my Climbers. We need an Old Style programme, where it teaches you how to do Old Style in a New Way. The Victorian progs were fine but it was a bit dank and dreary for me. Oh, and Alys Fowler's programmes are good, even if she herself is a little annoying. That reminds me I must tweet her about her Spring Forage she promised...
    If you haven't got it - please don't flaunt it. TIA.
  • Bring back listen with mother, housewives choice and women`s hour and percy thrower type gardening programmes
  • anguk
    anguk Posts: 3,412 Forumite
    I love shows like The 1940s House, Victorian Farm and Coal House, some of them are on youtube. I also enjoyed the Supersizers Eat shows.
    Dum Spiro Spero
  • Britain's Heritage Heroes, we are watching this on V+ at the moment, better with a fast forward button for the long title sequence, but has shown all sorts of interesting stuff, from traditional crafts, artisan food/cooking/baking to restoration projects.

Call the Midwife was filmed partly on location at Chatham Royal Historic Docks.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    edited 27 February 2012 at 7:14AM
    kittie wrote: »
    Bring back listen with mother, housewives choice and women`s hour and percy thrower type gardening programmes

Crikey you must be nearly as old as I am You'll be wanting Workers Playtime and Music While You Work in the mornings next:D:D
    I love the old Kenneth Horne and Hancock programmes, and when I was little was convinced that Archie Andrews was a real little boy How convincing was radio to have a ventriloquist on there :):)
    I love plays, and Saturday nights when I was small was Henry Hall or Vic Oliver followed by Saturday Night Theatre.My two brothers and I would try to guess the villain in the detective plays and who ever was right got the first bit of toast off Mums toasting fork for supper that night.I would be sitting on the floor near to the big black range in the kitchen and my brothers would be at the table making their model airplanes with balsa wood and tissue paper and glue, and Dad would be in 'His chair' reading the newspaper and Mum would be always moving around doing something I can never remember her just sitting still she was always on the go and her fingers were never still We would knit or she would be sewing something (usually my noisy brothers clothes than she was always repairing) and I would be sitting in the glow of the range listening to the radio and knitting my dolls clothes.The feeling of warmth and security this memory gives me and its well over 60 years ago but seems like yesterday:)We never had a t.v. for years as my Dad wasn't very approving of the 'idiot box' and said if you have a radio then you can do something else whilst listening to it at the same time (great believer in multi-tasking was my Dad) whilst with TV you are just sitting staring vacantly at it.I can see his point but although I don't watch a lot of t.v. (I know where the button to switch it off it ) I think I would probably miss it for some things. Radio being more portable nowadays means that you can even listen whilst in the garden or car But Radio Four is definitely my choice of station
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,946
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    JackieO wrote: »
    if you have a radio then you can do something else whilst listening to it at the same time (great believer in multi-tasking was my Dad) whilst with TV you are just sitting staring vacantly at it.I can see his point but although I don't watch a lot of t.v. (I know where the button to switch it off it ) I think I would probably miss it for some things. Radio being more portable nowadays means that you can even listen whilst in the garden or car But Radio Four is definitely my choice of station

This is what I love about radio. In fact I plan a specific chore around the Archers (whic isn't any sadder than watching soaps or reality stuff) - 15 minutes to get something done, be it the washing up, put laundry away, tidy a room etc. I like 6 music too, whoever mentioned that. I have said for years that there should be radio one and a half. The music on radio 1 is very boom, boom boom but I don't really want to listen to much of what they play on radio 2 where they do have a lot of "old fashioned" type. I quite like Absolute Radio.

I am trying to get into 4 extra as I think it would suit me, but never put it on when there is anything appealing. I use the computer to catch up with things like News quiz and the food programme, during which I also "get things done".

Tallking of getting things done, must get on...
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport