New combi boiler can you still have a power shower?

We have an old boiler which we want to replace with a new combi one.

We currently have a power shower, are you able to still have a power shower with a combi?
Thanks

Comments

• t_r
    t_r Posts: 134 Forumite
    My experience is that you won't need a power shower with a combi boiler because your hot water is at mains pressure.
    (don't think you can run a power shower off a standard combi though)
    My opinions are purely my own act on them at your own risk :think:
  • Short answer is no.

As I understand it, a power shower runs off a hot water cylinder; the pump runs between the cylinder and shower and pumps water at high pressure.

A combi boiler doesn't (usually) have a separate hot water cylinder and the shower will run at mains pressure (more or less) straight through the boiler via it's own internal pump. You might find no or very little difference in water pressure at the shower depending on which combi you install.

I don't think you can install a pump between the boiler and the shower...I don't think the pressures would be right. I could be wrong...maybe someone here can correct me. :D
  • Canucklehead
    Canucklehead Posts: 6,254 Forumite
    As I understand it, a power shower runs off a hot water cylinder; the pump runs between the cylinder and shower and pumps water at high pressure.
    Essentially yes.
    A combi boiler doesn't (usually) have a separate hot water cylinder and the shower will run at mains pressure (more or less) straight through the boiler via it's own internal pump. You might find no or very little difference in water pressure at the shower depending on which combi you install.
    Almost. The boiler does not pump water to the taps. Myself and OH keep harping on about getting a combi with a good flow rate/kw output.Plus having a good mains water pressure and flow rate. That is what will give you a powerFULL shower.

I don't think you can install a pump between the boiler and the shower...I don't think the pressures would be right. I could be wrong...maybe someone here can correct me. :D
    Mains water cannot be pumped.(well I suppose it can, but it MUST NOT be pumped)

Corgi Guy.
    Ask to see CIPHE (Chartered Institute of Plumbing & Heating Engineering)
  • roddydogs
    roddydogs Posts: 7,478 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    A combi will give you a nice powerful shower-with one BIG but-if anyone or anything uses any mains water elsewhere-ie washing machine, etc be prepared to get freezing water suddenly coming out of the shower!
  • Canucklehead
    roddydogs wrote: »
    A combi will give you a nice powerful shower-with one BIG but-if anyone or anything uses any mains water elsewhere-ie washing machine, etc be prepared to get freezing water suddenly coming out of the shower!

Solution: Thermostatic shower mixer... here and here

Corgi Guy
  • My thermo mixers (2 showers) do the job really well. If the washer is on it doesn't affect the flow, nor does flushing the loo or turning the ktchen tap on, BUT I never have had the courage to let both showers be run at the same time...just in case!! :eek: :D We do have high water pressure here which helps I guess :D
  • bexsmum
    bexsmum Posts: 116 Forumite
    Please can I hijack this thread! I need help desperately.

A month ago I had a combi boiler fitted (thankfully with the help of a grant). I previously had a Mira Excel power shower which was connected to the hot and cold water supply. The pressure of the new boiler did something to the inside fitments of the existing shower, it sprung a leak and my (bright spark) father said the best idea would be to cap off the hot water (as there's no longer a hot water tank to take the water from) and fit a bog standard electric shower.

Off I trots to B&Q spent £100 on a normal electric shower which said on the box it'd work with a combi boiler, half-a-job dad fits the shower no problem but as soon as its turned on we found that the cabling wasn't sufficient. On further investigation we've found the cable is normal grey (I'm a woman and not an electrician) cabling which we've traced back to a connection to a light fitment in the loft!

Subsequently - I got an electrician out who has said that I need a new electricity supply to the shower, which is connected to the fuse box with a 40amp fuse. No problem - except the electrician is now saying that I need a new cold water supply to be taken to the shower and the existing cold water supply can't be used.

One - is this right?
    Two - can someone just point me in the direction of a shower I can go and buy I've read loads on the internet and I just want someone to say "buy that and it'll be fine!"

Thanks in advance and sorry for the waffling on!
    Now Mrs! Still mum though.... :D
    Holiday 2013
    January - Dubai
    August - Disney World & New York
  • benjus
    benjus Posts: 5,433 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    bexsmum wrote: »
    I previously had a Mira Excel power shower which was connected to the hot and cold water supply.

The Mira Excel is an excellent shower - but it is a thermostatic mixer, not a power shower. It could be used in conjunction with a separate pump to make a power shower but it can work equally well with a combi boiler and produce a very good flow. It's certainly better than a £100 B&Q electric shower in my experience.
    The pressure of the new boiler did something to the inside fitments of the existing shower, it sprung a leak

I would guess that this was because after the combi was fitted the cold water supply was connected directly to the mains rather than the cold water tank.
    the best idea would be to cap off the hot water (as there's no longer a hot water tank to take the water from)

Did they not connect the hot water inflow on the Mira Excel to the hot water from the combi boiler? I assume you have hot water in your bathroom now...?
    a normal electric shower which said on the box it'd work with a combi boiler

:confused: I don't understand this... did you buy an instantaneous electric shower (i.e. one with a power rating of 7.5Kw to 10.5kW)? If so, it has nothing to do with the boiler, and runs directly from the mains cold water supply. So it's not quite accurate to say it works with a combi boiler, just that it has absolutely no connection with the boiler at all.
    On further investigation we've found the cable is normal grey (I'm a woman and not an electrician) cabling which we've traced back to a connection to a light fitment in the loft!

:shocked: Yikes! You're lucky you didn't start a fire... sounds like you are trying to run a shower on wiring from the lighting circuit.
    Subsequently - I got an electrician out who has said that I need a new electricity supply to the shower, which is connected to the fuse box with a 40amp fuse. No problem - except the electrician is now saying that I need a new cold water supply to be taken to the shower and the existing cold water supply can't be used.

You do indeed need a high power electricity supply for an electric shower which will need to be run from the fuse box/consumer unit.

I don't know why there would be a problem with your water supply. I assume that all the cold water taps and the shower were connected directly to the mains water supply when the combi was fitted (combis are usually fitted without a cold water tank). You would need to find out why he says you need a new water supply.
    Two - can someone just point me in the direction of a shower I can go and buy I've read loads on the internet and I just want someone to say "buy that and it'll be fine!"

Personally I'd have stuck with the Mira Excel - it's a great shower and works well with a combi boiler. Could you get it fixed or replaced or is it too late?
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
  • Canucklehead
    Please can I hijack this thread! I need help desperately.

A month ago I had a combi boiler fitted (thankfully with the help of a grant). I previously had a Mira Excel power shower which was connected to the hot and cold water supply. The pressure of the new boiler did something to the inside fitments of the existing shower, it sprung a leak and my (bright spark) father said the best idea would be to cap off the hot water (as there's no longer a hot water tank to take the water from) and fit a bog standard electric shower.

Off I trots to B&Q spent £100 on a normal electric shower which said on the box it'd work with a combi boiler, half-a-job dad fits the shower no problem but as soon as its turned on we found that the cabling wasn't sufficient. On further investigation we've found the cable is normal grey (I'm a woman and not an electrician) cabling which we've traced back to a connection to a light fitment in the loft!

One - is this right?

Thanks in advance and sorry for the waffling on!

Good afternoon: If you haven't already, look at the links I provided in Post 6 on this thread then visit Mira and use the 'select a shower' facility for something appropriate to your needs. Were you not advised about the implications of switching to a combi before your old boiler (?) was replaced?

HTH

Canucklehead
  • benjus
    benjus Posts: 5,433 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    By the way bexsmum, did you know it's been illegal for a few years now to do major electrical work in the home (anything involving kitchens, bathrooms or non-trivial alterations to circuits) unless it is undertaken or inspected by a qualified electrian? Your situation is a good example of the rationale behind this, as you could easily cause a fire by running a high-power appliance on low-power cabling.
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills