difficulty getting mortgage because of house construction

Hello,
husband & I have seen a house that we are interested in but have been told by the agent that it is constructed in a way which many mortgage companies dislike?!?!? Concrete with a 'skin' of bricks..
Can anyone shed any light on this constrction method? should we avoid this property at all costs??? Any information would be greatly appreciated.
thank you
millietwoshoes

Comments

• Hi Millie
    my house is concrete built (not sure about skin of brick though not sure if it makes a difference) my mortage is with Abbey, didn't have any trouble with them and no trouble at all getting buildings insurance

what ever advice you are given here you are the only ones who can decide whether to buy or look for something else, good luck with what ever you decide SC XX
    slowly working towards being MF one small over payment at a time :T
  • This sounds like our old house and I think is called Lang easy construction.
    Years ago nobosy would lend on them but with so many mortgage companies nowadays more will. The west brom and 1st national and gmac all will.
    If you let your brokers know upfront what the constuction so they should be able to check in advance to see if a company will lent on such a property.
    2007 is my getting slim year
    Total weight loss so far is 16llbs:T
    Total to go 15 pounds:eek:
    Not no more as im having a baby:D
  • WTG on the weight loss A!

Good advice as usual :)

L x
    I am a Mortgage Adviser

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • Thanks MM
    Dont suppose you fancie popping down with a skip do you? Bring the kids more the better!
    Please remind me why we moved!
    Ah I forgot carpets are ment to be superglued and nailed to the floor. You are suppose to be able to hear your neighbours having 'fun' till the early hours arent you?
    Bless I love my new house even the superglue!
    2007 is my getting slim year
    Total weight loss so far is 16llbs:T
    Total to go 15 pounds:eek:
    Not no more as im having a baby:D
  • Well if you can't beat them A, join them!!! (not literally of course) will help burn off those last few pounds and probably give you cause to utilise that third bedroom in nine months!

We moved yesterday, was a nightmare. will drop you a line and tell you about it, along with some photos of the new house

Good to see you are still experiencing the humorous c-ck ups of the last derranged seller!

MM x
    I am a Mortgage Adviser

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • Hi Millie,
    I looked at this type of house myself recently and did a bit of research, as I had fears over mortgages etc.
    Concrete with a brick skin - this could be concrete sectional of some type - Maybe Cornish, or Reema, type,that has been re-bricked.
    Other types are cast in situ concrete with cavity, Laing Easyform for example
    Some of these types are very difficult ot mortgage and others relatively easy.
    Probably best to find out what construction the house is ( ask the owners or look at the links I posted) and then ring round the b-socs- I found the Skipton to be very helpful.
    I decided against in the end as I was worrid about how easy it wouold be to sell on eventually !.
    Do you have a picture of the house ?

http://www.counciltenantsmortgages.co.uk/nontradhousing.pdf

http://vc.westsuffolk.ac.uk/construction/start/

Hope this helps
  • I had a different problem with a non-brick commercial property. I was going to buy a paper shop, but it blew away!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure