PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

My home is a mess

Comments

• Ellie83
    Ellie83 Posts: 525 Forumite
    I am lazy (and I do know this) and I do know that I mentally feel better coming home to a clean house - it is depressing to open the door and have the house looking like a tip.

This is a vicious circle for many ill(either physically or psychologically) people.

This is what prompted me to de-clutter and scrub the house. My husband works really long hours and, for having worked in a stressful job, I know how relaxing it is to come home to a nice, tidy house. So I do it not only for me, but for him too, so that our house is a bit like a haven for him :)

The hard thing to do, is to scrub the place in the first place. It takes a long time and a lot of energy. Could you get some help buddingblonde?
  • jackieglasgow
    jackieglasgow Posts: 9,436 Forumite
    Buddingblonde, is it possible for you to book a few days off work, collect a pile of boxes and binbags, and declutter the house. When that's done, you can start to clean, or get a cleaner in to get it spick and span, the you could use the Flylady list to keep on top of things a bit better when you are at work. I know annual leave is a precious thing, but you would feel more rested after work too, if you are coming home to a nice tidy house. honestly, yesterday and today I have had a thorough clean of my downstairs, and feel so much better for it already. Yes, I am working around my children, and feeding, entertaining them, etc. but it is definitely making a world of difference.

I am dreading going upstairs to start though :o
    mardatha wrote: »
    It's what is inside your head that matters in life - not what's outside your window :D
    Every worthwhile accomplishment, big or little, has its stages of drudgery and triumph; a beginning, a struggle and a victory. - Ghandi
  • Only OH and he is often in bed early as he has a very busy stressful job - tbh he isnt as bothered about how the house looks but it really gets me down.

I would love to get to a place where I dont have to do stuff every day - that I can come in and that the house is so clean and tidy you keep it that way - we seem to blitz then mess then blitz and mess.

I am sitting here and the kitchen looks there has been a food bomb go off - there is little crockery left in the cupboard and little cutlery in the drawers and possibly 40/60 mins worth of washing drying putting away, cleaning the worktops, hob, fridge out and the floor - and the window is filthy!
  • I am facing redundancy at the moment so might have loads of time on my hands after the end of this month!!! The precious annual leave that I have for the new year (1.5 days) I am trying to save for possible interview days.

We have the two bank holidays so I might just have to bust a gut then - it just seems a waste! (no pleasing me is there!)
  • Well done Jackie with tackling a floor - I know what you mean about dreading starting a new floor!
  • jackieglasgow
    jackieglasgow Posts: 9,436 Forumite
    Thank you, its by no means perfect but it is a huge improvement. Regarding the cutlery and crockery, what I did recently was chuck all the extra mugs, glasses and bits and pieces of tupperware etc in a box and take them to the charity shop. We had around 20mugs, I reduced it to 6, the fancy cups and saucers were never used, and we now only have four large tumblers two wine glasses and two glasses for the kids in the cupboard, as well as those plastic multicoloured beakers. I have spare glasses (engagement presents we were given fourteen years ago :rotfl:) still in their original boxes upstairs if we have guests, but we only need one mug and one glass each, it has greatly reduced the washing up. My tableware is a set of 8 of everything. I boxed up half of it, and it is in the cupboard under the stairs, because we simply don't need to be dirtying every plate, every day. It has made a huge difference to my life, as chief bottle washer. I reduced my six oven trays to two great quality ones, which I wash as soon as they are used, and I chuck stuff out of the fridge every day when I am making dinner (well I don't chuck much actually but I check the stuff which is borderline then)

But definitely try reducing the amount of available cutlery and crockery in the kitchen until you have things under control, it will make a huge difference, you will need to rinse out that cup or glass when you want a drink, instead of taking another out of the cupboard when its dirty (we also have mugs with our names on ;) )
    mardatha wrote: »
    It's what is inside your head that matters in life - not what's outside your window :D
    Every worthwhile accomplishment, big or little, has its stages of drudgery and triumph; a beginning, a struggle and a victory. - Ghandi
  • LOL - I am borrowing that tip - I have millions of mugs (there are 2 of us) and only I drink hot drinks - will keep 3 spares.
    I have millions of tupperwear - will sort that out.

I think I can apply that principle to pants and socks too - I have one a$$ and 2 feet - I dont need 25 pairs of socks and 20 pairs of knickers and neither does OH. Oh and shoes!!
  • esmf73
    esmf73 Posts: 1,784 Forumite
    Budding Blonde - you'll always need shoes! Women do - don't throw them out!!!! Unless you're a size 41 in which case throw them my way. I am getting energy from this thread - OH is off to Nottingham tomorrow night, so I'm going to bribe the children into helping me clean and declutter. Tomorrow morning whilst they're at the dentist I will get the treats ready - sweeties!!! And then tomorrow night I'll start cleaning in the dining room - and will get the boys cleaning when they get up on Thursday.

I WILL HAVE A CLEAN AND FRIENDLY HOUSE. You could always read the Sidetracked Home Executives book - I've read it and its quite fun. Best of luck
    2014 will be all about ME!
    ( well that hasn't happened!!!)
    Mortgage free. Will be debt free in Nov 2014. Credit card £250
  • shelley_crow
    shelley_crow Posts: 1,644 Forumite
    My house is a hazard at the moment, I've had a chest infection for the last week, although I can't really blame it solely on that.

My problem is that I have an oh and a ds1 (who's 5) and as fast as I tidy up, you can't notice that i've done anything. OH works long hours so I don't expect him to do anything, ds1 is golden and tidies his room by himself. My 6 month old son has been clingy due to teething, so that's put the brakes on doing anything during the day. My vice is MSE, once the ds's are in bed, it's my kick back time.

It will get done once I feel better, I have enough junk lying around to stock a charity shop for a year.
  • I have arthritis in my hips and loads of impraticle shoes which I love but tbh I am unlikely to wear again. Into the charity shop bag for them.
    Between posts I have done the dishes - still to be dried and put away and have done the work top.
    I ahve now put eastenders one and I am about to sit on the living room floor with all the pants and socks from this weekends wash - get them paired up and put away when I go to bed - still have a couch full of clothes to be folded and put away but will do them while candy cabs is on.
    I am knackered but more motivated than I have been.
    Cleaning windows with the pink liquid - do you think I can put it on the windows tonight and polish off tomorrow or does it have to be polished off right away?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure