Fitting a log burner help

I am going to fit a log burner, I have seen good priced ones on ebay, are they as good as the big makes found here in the UK? a branded wood burner would cost £800 where as one off ebay for a similar stove is £375,

I will be doing all the work myself, will be going through an outside wall and up the side of the house,

What are the legal applications for the installation, ie how far does it have to go above the ridge tiles or guttering?

Any help would be gratefull.....regards Mick.

Comments

• Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Something here Snow........http://www.woodburners.com/
    more in Google under 'building regulations woodburners'
    Had thought of getting one of those from Ebay, bid on several, but lost out. Lotta work. The logs I mean, not the bidding.
  • ronnyb_2
    ronnyb_2 Posts: 99 Forumite
    Ive wondered the same thing myself, about the cheaper stoves. There's a company on ebay who sell them for as cheap as £199. I paid over £600 for my first one over 5 years ago, a Villager. Since then I've moved house and intend to install another. I rang the company up from ebay, naturalheatingco. The bloke said they were imported from China. I asked about warranties etc and he said they didn't need to offer a warranty as they were so well made.? I posted a thread on mse some time ago asking if anyone else had had one. Got one reply who said he'd had one since last May and was very pleased with it, the quality was very good etc. Having had one since May is no guarantee they'll last a long time though.
  • ronnyb_2
    ronnyb_2 Posts: 99 Forumite
    I forgot to put that the flue has to go to the highest point of the roof.
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Read on here that a dedicated woodburner, rather than a multi fuel stove is the best value. I ran a Rayburn for years and that was a bit of overkill, hardly ever used anything except free wood, and never cooked in the darned thing. So I figure that a cheaper stove would be around £200/£300. Fortunately got a chimney, looks like your flue will cost a bit, Snow. Heavy brackets I guess to combat the wind and a cowel.
  • John_3:16
    John_3:16 Posts: 849 Forumite
    Had one fitted this summer a stockton 5 have not got the multi fuel but for £50 can get the kit. Have had it on a few times and heats the house lovely. Started collecting wood last march so have plenty now. Work as a chippy can get loads of kindling etc but have to work on the hardwood a bit more. The only problem about going outside the house is the chimney will be cold and might take a little getting warm to get the draw. My stove was £400 clean burn and air wash.
    The measure of love is love without measure
  • montrose5
    montrose5 Posts: 160 Forumite
    Cheaper stoves tend to be steel rather than cast iron and, I am told, don't last as long(which seeing as the cast iron ones last longer than many people is not too bad). Flue is really expensive, worth hunting secondhand for it.
  • Hi all, Was after a bit of advice for my mum. She currently has an open fire in a property that's approx 100 years old. She wants to start using a multi fuel / log burner and and has found one she likes for around the £700 mark. The guy that sells them has told her that he does all the work including fitting the burner and chimney liners / flue's etc. He may be completely genuine but his prices seemed to me to be going up the longer we stood and talked to him. It ended up at £2000 all in with a possible small dicount for cash. Does this seem reasonable ? I wouldn't question it but he seemed to be quite pushy, talking my mum into buying a burner £250 more than the one she originally liked and there was also a notice on the side saying complete flue kit done for £450. Not sure what the other charges are for but he's going to give my mum a final price today after he pop's round. Also, does he have to be registered with any official body to be able to do the work. I saw some mention of HETAS ? can't remember if it was here or somewhere else i looked. ( may of been this thread actually thinking about it, memory like a goldfish :) ) Thanks for any advice anyone can give me. Jim
    1111111 Posts: 66 Forumite
    hi there,

I new the guy who sells the log burners at Wimborne Market.In conversation,I recall him saying that there is more profit from sellong/fitting a flue,than actually selling the log burner.If it is from the chap at Wimborne you are buying it from,I can fully recommend him.

Hope this helps.
    ~ win £2008 in 2008 club member # 2008 b ~
    "You never fail until you stop trying"
  • Snow_Dog
    Snow_Dog Posts: 690 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    You get what you pay for in this case, i've seen the chinese imports and if the ebay ones are anything like them then they are flimsy, badly made, the doors fit awful and I should think the chances of getting spares next year are zilch.

A good multifuel burner is fantastic, we have a pretty large house and it will warm up the entire place on its own. The underfloor heating downstairs rarely kicks in and the rads upstairs might turn on occasionally.

Jim38curl,
    Does she use the open fire? if so then I presume she gets the chimney swept, so the best bet is to ask the sweep, they are usually very knowledgeable on the subject (I ought to know, my FIL is a chimney sweep, ironically in your area, well bourmenouth anyway).
  • thanks for the reply's guys. As it turned out he forgot to come and visit anyway. Have spent a bit more time researching prices and in all honesty as long as he does a good job his prices seem pretty good. Just got to find out the make of the burner now to make sure mum doesn't get stitched with something that's not going to last long. Have seen lot's of people recommend clearview but there's some pretty scary prices that they come with ! Thanks again. Jim
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure