Coal prices

Options

Comments

• SEE
    SEE Posts: 722 Forumite
    Options
    A._Badger wrote: »
    Interesting comment, Dawni. I'm burning coal and also using oil-fired central heating. Mostly, I use use coal in the evening and let the CH tick over for the rest of the day, keeping the chill off.

Just today, I realised how quickly I'm getting through coal and began to wonder if, since the latest rises, it might to be better to make more use of oil - especially since oil has come down in price.

I've said here before that I'm quite convinced the price rise for coal was entirely opportunistic - the handful of large companies that control UK coal supplies saw an opportunity to raise the price, to match oil and gas price rises, and did so. Like you, I wonder if it will come down again, but I'm not holding my breath.
    Is there an independent body who can investigate the fairness of coal prices?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Halifax, taking the Xtra since 1853:rolleyes:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • SEE
    Options
    nellsbells wrote: »
    I tried these eco logs (compressed sawdust) this week a friend
    gave my a bag to try £3 a bag from local coal merchant

I think they are great easy to set alight handy if you have gone out and
    the fire is low when you return bung a couple on and it revives the fire
    and coal and logs get that extra boost
    great also if your logs or coal is slighty wet
    but one word of warning don't poke them because they then resemble
    a firework with hot embers bursting everywhere
    They are selling half ton pallets for £150 on Ebay. 198 logs I think.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • SEE
    Options
    I just found this news article, but the annoying thing is they blame oil prices, and oil is at its lowest price ever now:confused:
    Eva Eisenschimmel, chief operating officer of EDF Energy customers branch, said: "Record world oil prices have continued to drive up wholesale gas prices. Alongside unprecedented rises in wholesale coal and electricity costs, this has impacted hugely on the cost of supplying energy to our customers."
    The company said wholesale energy prices had increased by 70% for coal, 63% for gas and 47% for electricity since it last increased its prices in January.
    http://www.metro.co.uk/news/article.html?in_article_id=235684&in_page_id=34&in_a_source=
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • paul_h
    paul_h Posts: 1,072 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just ordered a tonne of best house coal, £190... :eek:

...up from £130 same time last year, best price supplier in area.
  • spinningsheep
    Options
    Just had 3 bags of premium trebles and a bag of supertherm delivered and it came to £33.75, so based on that lasting us 6 weeks with the free wood we have and the 4 wheelie bins full of ancit (again was free) we will be burning approx 90p of coal a day, if that! bargain.

CC limits £26000

Long term CC debt £0

Total low rate loan debt £3000

Almost debt free feeling, priceless.

Ex money nightmare, learnt from my mistakes and never going back there again, in control of my finances for the first time in my adult life and it feels amazing. 
  • SEE
    Options
    paul_h wrote: »

You're lucky. I had a half ton today and it was £170. Is it smokless that you use?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • SEE
    Options
    Just had 3 bags of premium trebles and a bag of supertherm delivered and it came to £33.75, so based on that lasting us 6 weeks with the free wood we have and the 4 wheelie bins full of ancit (again was free) we will be burning approx 90p of coal a day, if that! bargain.
    I love freebies:D I've heard rumours that people are digging on the slag heaps of the old mines in Tamworth trying to find free coal.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Dawni
    Dawni Posts: 21 Forumite
    Options
    paul_h wrote: »

That seems an excellent price for 20 50k bags! We're still paying £16 a bag and no mention of any reduction. AFAIK we use the best price supplier in our area and I can't see any hope of any substantial reduction in the near future. I think there's some profiteering going on somewhere for most of us.:confused:
  • Stuckupahill
    Options
    SEE wrote: »
    Is there an independent body who can investigate the fairness of coal prices?

Hi, I don't think there is. I've just emailed this to the Office of Fair Trading. Don't know if they'll do anything....hard to prove collusion...

[EMAIL="enquiries@oft.gov.uk"]enquiries@oft.gsi.gov.uk[/EMAIL]
    Could you tell me if anyone is investigating the appalling rise in the price of coal to householders in the UK.
    It's increased from around £100 a tonne in 2006 to £300 a tonne today (depending on what type you order).
    There aren't that many coal producers and they all seem to be putting up prices.
    A number of coal producers have published their annual reports - which show the AVERAGE price for a tonne of coal is just £38.
    http://www.energybuild.co.uk/downloads/EnergyBuild_AR2008.pdf
    http://www.ath.co.uk/html/investor_information/latest_results.html
    That figure includes coal supplied to power stations - and obviously they will pay less.
    But why should domestic users be paying almost 10 times as much for their coal, and why isn't there a regulatory body overseeing the price of domestic coal.
    I've already spoken to Ofgem and they only cover gas and electricity.
    Could you also tell me if the OfT is going to refer the coal producers to the Monopolies Commission for price fixing.
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Well done with that complaint! Please let us know how they respond.

I've just found a supplier of wood who sells at a better price than I was getting last year and it is starting to look as if the balance might have swung back to wood for me.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure