When did you last go into a bank branch?

124»

Comments

• This morning, actually. I needed to withdraw 2 x £5 notes for using a bus to go to a training course over the next 2 days because the bus is run by a company other than the one that I buy my monthly ticket from, and to pay in a cheque.

I'm in the 25-44 age group (upper end).
  • A little disappointed that there have been no replies, but in the spirit of sharing, I discovered this very useful site: http://www.communitybanking.org.uk (Campaign for Community Banking Services)

It may be crucial if the bankers decide to leave you high and dry too.
  • csreader wrote: »
    I've been banking online with Nationwide for the best part of 20 years. But whenever I get paid by cheque (OK, that's not very often) I have to travel 10 miles to the nearest branch to pay it in. Usually into a machine, even then.

I know all the banks are using various strategies to kill off the use of cheques. But please, don't encourage them close more branches in rural areas like Norfolk. I don't want to have to take my cheque 40 miles to Norwich or Peterborough! (Or pay 50p for a stamp.)

The only alternative would be for me to open an extra current account with any one of the Big Four which has a branch in the local town (2 miles). What a horrid thought ...
    I use a Nationwide InvestDirect account to get rid of cheques but it's no longer available. The great thing is they pay the postage and I just use online banking to move the money when it clears. A new envelope and paying in slip arrives within a few days. Even has a cash card so I keep £11 in it as an emergency measure!
    If I'm passing a Natwest which is open I either use the paying in machine or go to the counter (2nd best option because I get the sales pich "Is there anything else I can do for you Mr...?"
    --Savings: £284k and counting...26/09/14 the day I reached six figures, doubled on 24/07/20
  • Edwardia
    Edwardia Posts: 9,170 Forumite
    OH pays cash/cheques into bank for me as it gives him an excuse to get out of the office for ten minutes. My actual bank branch is in W1, his (different bank) is in Canary Wharf. Neither of us has visited them in years.
  • w211
    w211 Posts: 700 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I go once a week, to bank a weekly cheque I get from one of my clients (I'm self-employed). I could be paid by BACS but that would cost my client money, otherwise I wouldn't have to visit a branch at all.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure