scardy cat seeds, coleus canina

Looking for these seeds on behalf of my Mum. She has a problem with cats in the garden and has tried various repellants with minimal results. A neighbour told her to get these seeds and gave her a booklet from the sun newspaper, 20 seeds are priced at £17.99. I have found these,

http://plants.thompson-morgan.com/uk/en/product/2131/1?SA=1303

they are priced at £17.99 for 20 young plants. Wondered if anyone moneysavers know where to get them cheaper.

many thanks.

Comments

• Hi there,

I haven't seen these advertised anywhere but T&M, but what I would say is that I had no luck with these plants. I have a big cat problem in my garden (as in big problem, not as in lions,tigers etc!). I used these plants year before last and would say that
    1) They are expensive (although you can take cuttings to provide the next year's plants)
    2) They do get quite large, but take a long time to reach a decent size, in the meantime leaving lots of bare soil
    3) They are frost-tender, so depending on where you live, they can only be outside from about April-October
    4) Cats don't like the smell (proved by me holding one in front of my cat's nose!) but they certainly don't deter them. I have found little 'cat presents' right next to the plants.

I too have not found a deterant that is affordable and works 100%. I have tried expensive powders etc but the cats will always learn to live with them. I have even covered bare flower beds with plastic netting- and they just cr*p on top of it!
    If anyone does have any fool-proof cat deterrants, please let me know!!

rosser.

P.S. I can recommend curry plant- it is quite cheap to buy, looks nice and fills up a border. cats don't like the smell too much either. don't worry- won't make your garden smell of curry- only smells when brushed against.
  • Help can anyone recommend an effective cat deterrant?

There is so much to choose from!

Having read about Pepper, Citrus Plants including coleus cannina, a 'curry' plant, Catwatch, ultrasonic scarecrows that emit bursts of water, green gel. Any clear winners?
  • cajef
    cajef Posts: 6,266 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Where we live we have open plan front gardens, we found we had a problem with cats fouling every night on our front lawn.

I eventually reluctantly (not cheap) purchased a >>Catwatch<<, I have to say it has been very successful, we have never had the problem for over three years now.

However if you use it with battery operation we found it it heavy on battery use, so I bought the mains power supply and now leave it on all the time, of course you then need a suitable power point, I was lucky as I was able to mount the unit on my garage wall and run the cable through to a socket in there.
  • floyd
    floyd Posts: 2,722 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I used an ultrasonic system too and it seemed to work really well until it got rained on very heavily then it started squealing so we had to stop using it. Also, there is a deaf white cat that it doesn't effect
  • ynto
    ynto Posts: 2 Newbie
    Go to a farm store and buy an electric fence kit. Cost me £100 but well worth it
  • TomsMom
    TomsMom Posts: 4,251 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    No luck with the scaredy cat plants here either, next door's cat ended up lying in ours! Don't waste your money on them, put it towards a more effective cat deterrent instead.
  • ebsay2000
    ebsay2000 Posts: 6,571 Forumite
    ynto wrote: »
    Go to a farm store and buy an electric fence kit. Cost me £100 but well worth it

Sorry..........BUT thats just cruel !!!

Poor kitties :eek:
  • ynto
    ynto Posts: 2 Newbie
    only once, they dont come back. Only use 2 x 3 volt batteries
  • Phuddles
    Phuddles Posts: 26 Forumite
    I've just been out at lunchtime and paid £3.99 each for four reasonably sized plants so I hope they work. I am really tired of other people's cats pooping on my grass :mad: and lurking under the bird feeders. If they were my own pets I wouldn't mind cleaning up after them but this gets me seriously ticked off!! I am going to move the plants around in pots for now, to see where the best place is to keep them. There's one particularly cheeky cat which lurks under my lavender in the back garden. I bought my partner a water pistol to 'shoot' the cats :rolleyes: but they are too quick once they hear the back door opening. Any humane suggestions would be much appreciated.
  • nlwsaint
    nlwsaint Posts: 137 Forumite
    I have 2 of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Big-Cheese-Cat-Repeller/dp/B000NR8Q1U/ref=pd_rhf_p_t_4

They seem to work for us & that's a really good offer at the moment. They are about £20 in wilkinsons.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure