Cost of calling 0844 numbers?

Comments

• cathodetube
    cathodetube Posts: 273 Forumite
    They have given you duff info.The only thing right is the connection charge. They charge from 0.50 to 5p a minute to call 0844 non geographical numbers,depending on charge band.

Chargeable 0845 calls are 6.4p a minute :eek:.

http://www.plus.net/residential/tariffs/homephone.html

Eg. A G6 band 0844 number will cost 5p a minute to call. g22 band 0.50.

Ofcom have no plans to introduce one rate.;)
    What do you mean about the chargeable 0845 numbers? I was told that all 0845 numbers under my calling plan are free.
  • billsavings
    billsavings Posts: 2,015 Forumite
    Billsavings, thanks for your reply. I looked at the link you sent and it was about as clear as mud! How do you figure out what band an 0844 number is in? It sounded like the Plusnet employee I was talking to was reading from some type of script. I have specifically avoided calling these numbers but need to call one tomorrow. I looked at saynoto0870 and couldn't find any alternative unfortunately.

One way enter full number here http://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm get chargeband and look at Plusnet Charges.;)
  • billsavings
    billsavings Posts: 2,015 Forumite
    edited 21 April 2011 at 3:10AM
    What do you mean about the chargeable 0845 numbers? I was told that all 0845 numbers under my calling plan are free.

EG: If you were on the E&W plan and made a call at peak time it would be chargeable.Also calls to indirect access numbers and dial up internet access are chargeable at all times.
  • Terry_D
    Terry_D Posts: 63 Forumite
    Heinz wrote: »
    You're right, g6 rate 0844 numbers cost you 11½p call set up fee + 5.105p/minute. The call set up fee will increase to 12½p at the end of April.........

.......However, from the end of April, a weekday daytime call to an 01/02/03 number for BT residential customers who are not on their Unlimited Anytime calls plan, will increase to 7.6p/minute (apart from the 1p increase in the call set up fee already mentioned).....

So are you saying if I (not on Unlimited Anytime plan) call an 0844 g6 number it will actually cost less per minute than if I phoned their regional 01,02 etc number, meaning 0844 calls can be cheaper than "normal" calls?

Terry D
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Terry_D wrote: »
    So are you saying if I (not on Unlimited Anytime plan) call an 0844 g6 number it will actually cost less per minute than if I phoned their regional 01,02 etc number, meaning 0844 calls can be cheaper than "normal" calls?

Terry D
    Yes.

But PLEASE follow MSE advice and open a www.18185.co.uk A/C online and make your non-inclusive 01, 02 and 03 calls from your BT line for 5p each, regardless of duration.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • I've just phoned barclaycard (using one of their 0800 numbers) to find out the cost of one of their 0844 numbers, as their website makes no mention of call costs. After a wait of 7 minutes 23 seconds, most of which was spent on hold waiting while the guy found out the answer was, he came up with 7p per minute. Shouldn't this be stated on their web site?
  • Heinz
    edited 28 June 2011 at 6:37PM
    I've just phoned barclaycard (using one of their 0800 numbers) to find out the cost of one of their 0844 numbers, as their website makes no mention of call costs. After a wait of 7 minutes 23 seconds, most of which was spent on hold waiting while the guy found out the answer was, he came up with 7p per minute. Shouldn't this be stated on their web site?
    What they told you was nonsense - they have no idea what your telephony provider charges you for calls.

That is why their website makes no mention of the cost - there are numerous telephone providers and tariffs and they could not possibly hope to list all prices correctly or maintain such lists.

For example, how much does your mobile provider charge for 0844 calls? I bet it's different to what mine charges.

In any case, if you're talking about their 0844 811 9111* number, their website details 01604 230 230 as the 'overseas alternative' - which you could call for a maximum of 5p (regardless of call duration) via 18185.

* From a BT residential landline, the 0844 811 range costs 12½p call set-up fee plus 5.105p/minute at all times - see HERE. That is the lowest price possible for such a call. Some other providers (e.g. Virgin) charge double that per minute rate.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • robbies_gal
    robbies_gal Posts: 7,895 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    i jsut tried to ring my doctors to be told the number has been changed to 0844...

i think its disgusting that surgeries ar enow putting chargeable numbers in i dont think virgin unltd covers this in their plan does it?
    What goes around-comes around
  • Heinz
    gabbyevs wrote: »
    i jsut tried to ring my doctors to be told the number has been changed to 0844...

i think its disgusting that surgeries ar enow putting chargeable numbers in i dont think virgin unltd covers this in their plan does it?
    They are in breach of their contract. Complain to your PCT - which has a duty to regulate GPs.

http://www.saynoto0870.com/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.cgi?board=gov
  • Yes, I want to know why CAB are not a 0300 number rather than a premium rate. do they need the money?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure