PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

red lentils

Options
1151617181921»

Comments

• Minimalist
    Options
    Some great lentil ideas here! I'm a big lentil fan - they're so versatile and tasty, as well as healthy, filling and cheap! I have a very simple recipe to suggest - a tomato, red lentil and rosemary dish you can use in several different ways.

First finely chop an onion. Heat a little olive oil or butter in a medium saucepan, then add the onion and fry until it turns a golden colour. You can add some crushed garlic at this point if you like. Then add a tin of tomatoes, with their juice, a couple of handfuls of red lentils and a sprig of fresh rosemary (or half a teaspoon of dried). Bring to the boil and simmer until the lentils are soft but not completely mushy (about 15 mins). Keep checking to make sure they aren't sticking to the pan - you may need to add a little water or stock. At this point, remove the rosemary sprig, if used.

The tomato and lentil mixture reduces down to a lovely thick consistency, which makes a great filling for baked potatoes, or works well as a pasta sauce. I don't add any salt to the dish, but sometimes a splash or two of soy sauce for extra savoury flavour. Sprinkle some nice grated cheddar over the top.

The lentil mixture can form the basis of a lentil "shepherd's pie" - just spoon it into an ovenproof dish and top with some mashed potato (and grated cheese if you like it... sorry I'm a bit of a cheese-a-holic!). Before adding the topping, I like to stir through fry a few sliced mushrooms, fried in a little olive oil or butter - but you could add any veggies you have lying around. A storecupboard alternative is to mix in a handful of salted peanuts - I usually rinse off the salt first.
    Not buying it! 2015

:) purely aspirational username - still wading through clutter and striving to cut back on unnecessary stuff...
  • rainbowfairydust
    Options
    thank you for the suggestions everyone. :j Love the sound of the cheesy lentil bake ! It sounds really yummy ! :)
    Sleazy wrote: »
    I like RainbowFairyDust .....

RFD for president .... Ra! Ra! Ra! :j

Undergrad degree - completed 2018
    Masters degree - completed 2019
  • shandyclover
    Options
    My all time favourite and incredibly easy recipe for lentils...

Lemon dhal
    4 oz masoor dhal (red lentils)
    1tsp fresh ginger
    1 tsp fresh garlic
    1/2 tsp turmeric
    3/4 pint water
    3 Tbl lemon juice
    chilli powder and salt to taste

Very basically throw all the ingredients except the lemon juice in a pot, boil until lentils are soft, add lemon juice and serve. More like a soup than thick dhal. Can also add chopped fresh green chillis and coriander if you like. Perfect for dark rainy days, or when you feel fluey!
    No buying unnecessary toiletries 2014. Epiphany on 4/4/14 - went into shop to buy 2 items, walked out with 17!

• samanthaneww2d
    Options
    i'm definitely going to try the cheesy lentil bake sounds gorgeous
  • trailingspouse
    Options
    Pease pudding.

Yes, just like the nursery rhyme. You can still buy it easily in the North East of England, but I've never seen it anywhere else. It's basically just lentils boiled to a pulp, seasoned, and allowed to go cold. You serve it with cooked ham.

A ham and pease pudding sandwich is delicious. Don't knock it till you've tried it...
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Ive merged this with an older thread which has loads of ideas

Zip
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• ScarletRibbons
    Options
    I live in the North East of England, and pease pudding is made with yellow split peas, not lentils
  • Change4Life
    Change4Life Posts: 33 Organisation Representative
    Options
    Red lentils are a great ingredient to use to help thicken up soups and casseroles. Using more vegetables, dried lentils, pulses and less meat as part of your meals is a great way to eat healthily while keeping the cost down.

You can find lots of healthy, calorie counted meal ideas on our Meal Mixer tool - you can also search for recipes based on what ingredients you have available. For example, if you want meal ideas that use red lentils, our Meal Mixer tool has recipes for a yummy Hearty Homemade Soup and a Slow cooked Lamb, Leek and Lentil Bake. The Meal Mixer tool also allows you to download a shopping list to help you plan ahead of you trip to the shops. Sticking to your shopping list will make your budget stretch further and make you less likely to drop things into the trolley that you don't need or that might go to waste.

HR, Change4Life
    Official Company Representative
    We are the official representatives of Change4Life. MSE has given permission for us to post in response to health, fitness and lifestyle questions. You can see our name on the companies/organisations with permission to post list.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure