Frump to Fab 2017 - A Whole New World

Comments

• DD265
    DD265 Posts: 2,202 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Sugarbaby - I assume you sing at the karaoke, rather than just watch others? I admire your confidence! I have promised myself that when I have the time and funds I will have singing lessons so that I can actually be comfortable with it.

Pinkpetal - welcome to the thread. It's never too late to join, and from what I've seen the little changes we make on here end up leading to big boosts in confidence. What do you like to do in your free time?

Floss - I have to say, we had a Christmas in early December with my family, and saw OH's family on Christmas eve, so the entire week felt really relaxed. I'd definitely be happy to do it again.

I had a choice this morning thanks to a rubbish commute; be 30 minutes early for work and skip the gym/shower, or be 15 minutes late for work and go to the gym/shower. I was exhausted so I decided to go to the gym and I felt so much better after a workout and a hot shower.

This evening I've been to WeightWatchers and lost 1 1/2 lbs. I'd like to lose 2lbs next week to take me under 11st so I'm going to have to come up with a plan. It will definitely involve 5x gym sessions between now and then, plus 2-3 more runs. I think it should also involve more sleep and more water.

I've decided I'm not too keen on my shorter hair cut. When it looks nice it is really nice, but I'm struggling to style it. Today I left it to air dry (rather than be 30 minutes late for work) and I'm not a huge fan. I might encourage it to curl, or I'm thinking I'll just wear a headband and be done with it. Luckily I'm going back to the hairdresser before my holiday so I can ask him for help.
  • DD265 wrote: »

Pinkpetal - welcome to the thread. It's never too late to join, and from what I've seen the little changes we make on here end up leading to big boosts in confidence. What do you like to do in your free time?

Thanks DD265, a big confidence boost is definitely what I need. I joined a gym last year and managed to go once lol I'm still paying for it to. I won't cancel I just say "I'll go tomorrow ". I love reading and I also enjoy history, my home also gives me pleasure I'm sad I know but I love cleaning.
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,136 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Pinkpetal wrote: »
    Thanks DD265, a big confidence boost is definitely what I need. I joined a gym last year and managed to go once lol I'm still paying for it to. I won't cancel I just say "I'll go tomorrow ". I love reading and I also enjoy history, my home also gives me pleasure I'm sad I know but I love cleaning.

Feel free to visit anytime...

give yourself a deadline on the gym. If you're not going to use it there may be a better way of spending your money. How about joining a book group? Or a local history group? Or finding some lectures or talks to go to? Maybe finding some walks around historic sights would be more motivating than going to the gym.
  • I haven't managed to catch up on everyone's posts but a big hello to all and hugs to anyone who needs them :)

I've been reading a really interesting book - 'The Power of Habit' by Charles Duhigg - which is all about why we routinely do things we perhaps don't even consciously realise we do. It recommends changing some 'keystone' habits in order to change others, so the first thing I've changed is to put in place a cleaning and washing rota. I know, very dull, but it used to stress me out that I couldn't clean everything at once and the task would seem so overwhelming that I wouldn't start at all. Now I have specific days for specific rooms; it's taken a couple of weeks to get everything into place, but it's working a lot better than before.

I've also made lists of all the books I want to read and can tick them off as I go through. I do love a to do list!

Sadly none of this has rubbed off on my eating and exercising habits yet, but one thing at a time I guess….. the idea is that once you do helpful/ useful/ necessary things with the minimum of effort, it frees up time to do other things. Let's hope so…..

Hello pinkpetal and welcome! In addition to greenbee's suggestions, have you thought about a college course (evening or weekend as I'm assuming you work during the day) or checking out meetup.com for any local groups you're interested in? I agree that you'll probably find something more fun/ motivating to do than gym going!
    Finally debt free!! March 2018 :j
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,580 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Good to see you ruby. I'm pleased to hear your rota is working for you but even more delighted to hear you're finding time to red a book.:D

I'm another who needs to crack the exercise. I've made an improvement by joining a more energetic dance class but I can't seem to push myself to do the daily walking. Maybe I need to borrow a dog or some babies and a pram!:rotfl:

On the healthy food I can't emphasise meal planning enough. It's also very mse:money: If you plan your meals (and snacks) then it saves time shopping and dithering about what to have. If you only buy in healthy stuff then you can't eat rubbish. If you want a treat then buy a single portion when you're out. It may be less economical to buy a slice of cake or a cookie or a single chocolate bar but it's not good for you to eat the rest of the packet at home.

I called into the CS yesterday to look for pretty tops for dancing. They didn't have any but I did succumb to other items. In my defence, I did take two bagsful of stuff in to donate. I came out with a rose pink Jigsaw jumper, a grey chunky Zara cardigan, a bright green chunky Hobbs cardigan, a honey coloured pashmina and a jade White Stuff woolly scarf with poms poms.:eek: I MUST have a wardrobe sort PDQ:o.

The jumper I bought in TKMaxx on Wednesday is fab. It's far too nice for house clothes so I wore it out to the pub on Thursday evening. It's an aubergine coloured, fine 2ply cashmere longline tunic. I love it.:)

Not much on today. I plan to cook some soup for lunches during the week but I may go out for a bit of shopping. I must stay away from the CS though!
  • chanie
    chanie Posts: 3,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Hi everyone, I have been keeping up with the thread, but haven't posted as I've been busy with work and tired!!! I hope you all are okay.
  • shanks77
    shanks77 Posts: 1,182 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Hi another one checking in. :o not been good on the fabbing front I'm afraid can't seem to find the motivation or inclination but am going to try and start again on Monday.
    Have been getting in my 10k steps each day which I'm proud of even if it has meant walking the streets at 11pm but at least I did it just need to keep it going.
    Catch up with you all later xx
  • clippy_girl
    clippy_girl Posts: 2,283 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Hey Indie can I ask how you are getting on with your chok Fitbit strap please? I was just about to order one but in the reviews 3 people said it has got stuck on their Fitbit and they can't get off! No one in the positive reviews have mentioned ease of removing the strap so I'm just worried it's going to get stuck! Thanks x
    :j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j
  • maman wrote: »
    I'm another who needs to crack the exercise. I've made an improvement by joining a more energetic dance class but I can't seem to push myself to do the daily walking. Maybe I need to borrow a dog or some babies and a pram!:rotfl:

On the healthy food I can't emphasise meal planning enough. It's also very mse:money: If you plan your meals (and snacks) then it saves time shopping and dithering about what to have. If you only buy in healthy stuff then you can't eat rubbish. If you want a treat then buy a single portion when you're out. It may be less economical to buy a slice of cake or a cookie or a single chocolate bar but it's not good for you to eat the rest of the packet at home.
    !

I've been struggling with doing enough walking too - been doing some long days at work and by the time I leave not only am I too hungry to lengthen my journey to get a walk in, but it's so cold it's really not appealing. Having a dog to walk would make it easier to persuade myself, but I would end up having to spend a fortune on doggy day care to have it kept company whilst I was out at work and not upset the neighbours. Am still thinking I will get one as a retirement present to myself, but that's a long way off.

I am going to be doing some meal planning today for my Fitter Food plan that I will be starting properly tomorrow.
    shanks77 wrote: »
    Have been getting in my 10k steps each day which I'm proud of even if it has meant walking the streets at 11pm but at least I did it just need to keep it going.

Well done! Once I get home on these cold nights I haven't been able to persuade myself to go out again so I've been doing more like 6-7 thousand.
    Hey Indie can I ask how you are getting on with your chok Fitbit strap please? I was just about to order one but in the reviews 3 people said it has got stuck on their Fitbit and they can't get off! No one in the positive reviews have mentioned ease of removing the strap so I'm just worried it's going to get stuck! Thanks x

I've just checked this morning and I can get it off easily enough.. And it looks really good too - so much better than my old charge HR with it's black rubber strap that I didn't want to wear on nights out. Perhaps some are slightly faulty and get stuck but I am very pleased with mine and having bought the rose gold I've just ordered the yellow gold one.

I've signed up for a free online 5 day program starting tomorrow run by an Australia psychologist who helps women with food issues - am hopefully this might help me deal with my mental issues with food. Mostly I eat for reasons other than hunger - or at least mostly I eat unhealthy foods for reasons other than hunger. Anyone who is interested can read more here:-

http://www.georgiebeames.com/

Right, must sign off here, got plenty to do today and I want to allow time to get out and enjoy the sunshine as well as do some useful stuff.
  • Pinkpetal wrote: »

Welcome pink petal. I wish I loved cleaning - would save me money and it's good exercise too. But I would live in a bit of a hovel if I left it to myself. The last time I didn't have a cleaner I managed to go two months without vacuuming, and I've been known to leave ironing for a month too. (I have someone do that for me too).

I am a reader and history lover too. I don't know where you live but I am based in London and do a lot of guided walks with London walks. I don't pretend they are great exercise, but it does get me out of the house and it's more exercise than sitting home watching TV shows about it.

One thought - have you considered volunteering with something like the National Trust? A friend of mine is retiring and moving to a different part of the country and hoping to do that partly for interest but also to start meeting new people. It's something I will consider doing when I am older - at the moment I wouldn't have the time, away too much at weekends. I do need to use my National Trust and English Heritage memberships more - didn't get value for money last year, although I do partly see my contribution as helping to ensure their properties will still be there when I am older and have more time to visit.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure