PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Does anyone want to join me waiting for new build to be built and complete

Hi all,

We are first time buyers it's fair to say with limited knowledge on the whole process (thank goodness for this forum). So we reserved a new build flat with Miller homes in December 2015, we are nearly there with exchange (just sent all documents signed back to solicitors). Our flat is supposed to be ready on the 24th of June 2016. Went to check the progress the other day, the have just finished the outer shell of 2nd floor (it's a 3 storey build) so looking good for time scales atm. We have our options meeting on Sunday to choose all the upgrades. We have to pay 25% of the price upfront and the rest payable prior to completion. I thought I'd make this thread because a- I'm impatient and wish it was all just ready now, can't stop thinking about it. B- because throughout this forum I've read lots of ?'s re new build and some not so nice stories of things that can go wrong, so thought a bit of support may be nice. c- and lastly just to share others experiences and the long wait with. So who's up for joining me in the wait :)

Comments

• Tygermoth
    Tygermoth Posts: 1,413 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 17 February 2016 at 2:53PM
    OOh I will. Also FTB reserved on the 25 Jan. Build is due to complete July. Not exchanged yet. HTB funding and mortgage have been agreed.

Yesterday the draft contract arrived and my SOLs are adding a quality clause, long stop date and 'completion can only happen on a clean bill of health from the buyers surveyor'

This being said my Sol is expecting them to majorly baulk at the additions to the contract, but as we both said they promise in their paperwork to deliver a quality build - so they need to put their money where their mouth is.

Got my environmental survey back today and I am worried as it states, even though the area has no historic flooding, that they have noted the property is at risk from standing water flooding... but then goes on to state - 'to be sure and to clarify for future insurance purposes' I need to buy a further report! Ggggrrr

Also went down to take some photos of the site at the weekend for posterity. Was surprised to see foundations down as we are a later phase so wasn't expecting that at all.

However this has also got me worried as the house is set in on a slight incline and the drive is butted against the back of the house... however it looks like they have miss calculated the pitch as the drive sits much higher up the back of the house than plans or the planning illustrations (on the gov. planning site) show. As the utility room door is due to open in from that drive I can’t see how that is going to happen (unless they put stairs into the utility meaning a loss of usable space in the room)

Have a ‘post res’ meeting next week with the site manager to go through the house plans in detail so will be looking to discuss this then too. We are not getting any upgrades at all - just an outside tap/plug and maybe light and power to the loft. After speaking to people on the first phase of the site they said upgrades were done to a poor standard and not worth the cost.

Just to see if you have had the same experience:

Spent the first few weeks reading and learning everything I can re the builder as after confirming we were getting a new build everyone and his dog chose to send me new build horror stories. It was not like I hadn't looked into this but everyone keeps telling me I will be sorry they all had a friend of a friend who mothers brothers cousin had a terrible experience.

I don’t know if you have found the same but people I don't know or have not asked for advice from, and don't have direct experience still feel the need to take it upon themselves to give me their 2 pennies worth on new builds.

I have had to bite my tongue more times than I care to mention. Helpful advice, tips or even direct experiences I will happily take on board and learn from but so far all I have got is strong unquantified personal opinion dressed up as ‘advice’

But hey ho – I cant argue back as the naysayers may just be right in the end. We will see when she’s built!

Please note I have a cognitive disability - as such my wording can be a bit off, muddled, misspelt or in some cases i can miss out some words totally...
  • baxt3r
    baxt3r Posts: 42 Forumite
    Hi,

I'll join this thread!

We reserved with Redrow around 5 weeks ago and due to exchange next week.

So far... and I hope I don't regret saying this but it's gone fairly smooth.

House not due until June but so far we've found the builders really helpful. We noticed when doing the contracts that the plot on the plan was bigger then expected, went to the site and there was a fence in that didn't represent the plan. A 2 minute conversation and check of the plan and all agreed the fence needs to be moved and we are getting the bigger plot.

Our house is up and windows in so watertight now. We're also taking pictures regularly and can't wait.

(The only thing I'd ask from this thread is that all the new build haters leave this alone and find somewhere else to vent. This isn't my first house and I've made an informed decision based on cost, offer and current and future market value. For us, we feel this is the right house and are happy with the choice we've made.)
  • baxt3r
    baxt3r Posts: 42 Forumite
    Tygermoth wrote: »
    dont know if you have found the same but people I don't know or have not asked for advice from, and don't have direct experience still feel the need to take it upon themselves to give me their 2 pennies worth on new builds.

I have had to bite my tongue more times than I care to mention. Helpful advice, tips or even direct experiences I will happily take on board and learn from but so far all I have got is strong unquantified personal opinion dressed up as ‘advice’

But hey ho – I cant argue back as the naysayers may just be right in the end. We will see when she’s built!

Lol I hadn't read this before I posted but it's clear we've both heard the same types of arguments. Everyone's entitled to opinions and the preference for a new house is mine 😊
  • chlo88
    chlo88 Posts: 42 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Hi to both of you, looks like were all summer movers so will be good to have people to wait out the next few months with. I'm so impatient I just want it to be ready, but good things come to those who wait and all that.....

Yes I totally agree this thread needs to be positive, we all know what we've signed up for and have chosen a new build because we like them. For us we've particularly done it because we wanted a blank canvas and something ready to go that we can just furnish. Also we haven't got the extra money to do repairs on an older house or project so a new build is perfect for us to get our feet on the housing ladder. We have some friends who bought a new build recently and they love their house. However when they bought it, the house had already been built and everything fitted so a very different experience to buying off plan.

Tygermoth- that's frustrating about the survey. Are you going to pay the extra now? Very clever of them it hooks you in to pay and probably find out there's nothing wrong like you thought! Great news the foundations are down. It's lovely watching your house been built knowing it's yours. Definitely bring it up at the meeting, with it been early stages of build hopefully they can amend it to reflect how you were expecting. Let us know how you get on.

Baxt3er- wow your house is really coming along and sounds like should be fine for June completion. I'm glad it's gone smoothly (touch wood) so has ours! I keep waiting for a hiccup but it's all be smooth sailing so far.

Tonight we've been trying to set a budget to stick to for our options meeting and working out what's essential for us and what's desirable. We've also been trying to see what we can get cheaper else where. A built in microwave is £650 seems a bit crazy ! But then other stuff seems reasonable. They've thrown in carpets, tiling , Lino, fridgefreezer, dishwasher, washer/dryer and extra kitchen cabinets as the incentives. However my gut is telling me that when I get to the meeting things will be pricier than I was expecting.
  • Another new build buyer here, also heard all the horror stories but we're not going into this expecting a perfect house!
    We reserved in December and house is due to be finished in March. We part exd our current property which has taken out lots of the stress. We're now waiting for contracts whcih our solicitor assures us will be done soon (she told the MA she was aiming to have them done Monday but no sign of it yet).
    We already done our options obviously and I must say I was really pleased with how honest the sales guy was with putting us off of things we could easily do ourselves at a much better price like wardrobes!
  • Still no contracts...and now the solicitor can't find our passports. I'm so fed up I could cry and she really doesn't seem the slightest bit concerned!
  • ahhh I have been there we bought a new build last year we paid a reservation fee of £500 in June and was supposed to exchange in July however we ended up exchanging and completing same day in October 2015 and moved in November...Its really really hard waiting but you have to be patient, (it was our solicitor that delayed the process but then again she was only looking after us!) it is exciting watching your house being built.

Don't worry about the scare stories of new build, yes there will be snagging to do. I actually did cry when I got the keys and looked round and saw some snags to do as I was emotionally exhausted by the whole house buying process but the builder has been great about it and has sorted everything out (I think they were in a rush to get it finished for completion as bad weather had delayed the build slightly)

New builds are smaller but they are more efficient than older houses and we are much happier in this house than the old Victorian terrace we used to live. There are hidden costs but stick to your budget with the extras. We too have put up with people slagging off new builds and know they aren't for everyone but we are really happy with ours.
    Anyway just wanted to offer some support. Good luck with your new home :)
  • Tygermoth
    Tygermoth Posts: 1,413 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    If it makes you feel better -

Our FA lost our bank statements
    Our Sols gave us passport copies but forgot to give us the originals back
    The bank has lost all our certified docs

The bank also called us to ask what an regular outgoing on the statements was for.... when the payee on the statement was clearly noted as the '***** car finance payment'

I calmly stated it was the car finance payment, which we noted on our outgoing sheet. Oh, right she said and thanked my for clearing that up for her.
    Please note I have a cognitive disability - as such my wording can be a bit off, muddled, misspelt or in some cases i can miss out some words totally...
  • If they're lost then they're lost and we'll get them replaced. The thing is they hadn't been certified before they got lost (she actually says they were never given to her, although they confirmed receipt of them on 24th December). So that is another pieceof the puzzle that hasn't been completed.
    Would they accept a photo driver's licence instead?
  • bt1
    bt1 Posts: 443 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Think I will join the club!

We reserved a Taylor Wimpey plot for a 3 bed house back in November 2015 - for a completion date of "June/July"

Contracts haven't been sent out yet, but apparently they have started to be sent so hopefully hear something soon!

I work very close to the development and have seen they have started on the ground floor already! It's still all boarded up so I can only peak in when the main doors are open to let works people in!
    (Tempted to send a drone in so I can get a good look LOL)

I should be exchanging on the sale of my flat this week and completing next week - lucky to be able to stay there and rent until the new house is finished!

Apparently we don't get to choose options til after the roof is on, all I want is lawn and bathroom flooring, the rest I think we will do when we are in as I've heard they are very expensive.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure