PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

February 2009 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• Reverbe
    Reverbe Posts: 4,210 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Trixie I don't tend to budget for food as there is just me and no bills to pay etc but get the bargains I can and will just use the GC as a way of trying to keep my spending down/ or as a personal challenge/something fun to do.Nothing needed with any money saved but it all goes towards my old age at the end of things..
    What Would Bill Buchanan Do?
  • Floxxie
    Floxxie Posts: 2,852 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Thankyou so much for the sausage suggestions - knew it would be worth coming onto this thread. Had a horrible vision of my 3 recipes repeated for several weeks :rotfl:

Off to cut and paste them now...

Floxxie
    Mortgage start September 2015 £90000 MFiT #06
  • lauradora
    lauradora Posts: 1,371 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I'm in again this month for £50 again please :p

Good luck everyone xxx
    On a mission
  • MummyEm
    MummyEm Posts: 574 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Hi All
    After months of lurking on this thread I'm taking the plunge this month and would like to join pls. Can you put me down for £400.00 pls? This is for pregnant me, DH and DD 19 months this includes food, toiletries, nappies, cleaning products etc. but not alcohol.
    I know that's a lot but we normally spend £450-500 so this will be a challenge for us. Unfortunately the month has not started well as my husband did the shop at the weekend as I was poorly, he spent £130.00 and I still had to go out and get bits he'd missed !! :confused: He is terrible with money !

Going to do a big stock up shop on line at the end of the week using lots of coupons which should help as I am terrible at Mr T and end up buying lots of bits not on my list.:rolleyes:
  • Morning all,
    After only going 21p over for Jan. I'm going to see if I can knock £10 off this month. So can you please put me down for £180 , This is for two adults and two cats. I have got lots in so should be a good month.
    Have already spent this month as went shopping in the snow last night, spent £32.30 plus I nipped to the local shop on sunday and spent £2.43. So i'm off to update date my signature now.
    Hope you all have a good day
    Becki
  • Hi
    Have just updated Jan with my final fig, was 50.00 under budget so I am very very happy with that. Doing lots of small shops is working for me at the minute, of course a big top up will be needed soon but still lots of store left. When I think back my Mum never did a big shop as she couldn't have carried it and no car to help, so will keep on with the little and often way. It's good for the enviroment and my health and my purse. Will be out some time this pm afterwork to pick up a few supplies, mainly bread and milk. The snow will add an extra dimension on the exercise front.
    WL 11 st 5lb as at 050109. 160209 11st 2lb
    11st 5lb as at 20.04.09 11st 7lbs 040509 11st6 010609 I wish 2016 175 lbs.
    Family of 3 at home - , DS 22, self and OH
  • WelshWoofer
    WelshWoofer Posts: 5,076 Forumite
    Hi,
    Just for those of you that don't know yet the Aldi fruit and veg bargains this month are...

Baking Pots 2.5kg 69p
    Pineapple 69p
    Onions 1.5kg 69p
    500g grapes 69p
    Vine tomatoes 450g 69p
    Green apples x6 69p

All seems quite usable!
  • Inspired by those of you who are encourqaging your OHs in the GC by using the money saved to buy things they enjoy, last night struck a great GC bargain with DS14.

He's agreed to eat meals made from things in the freezer all month ( including helping to think what they should be) as that will then make room in the freezer for a trip to costco to be possible. :D

Great question Trixie, I am really enjoying seeing what others use the saved cash for ( have replied for me earlier in the thread).
    Eat food, not edible food-like items. Mostly plants.
  • natzini
    natzini Posts: 561 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi everyone!
    Been so busy at work, long story, but am ready to start the challenge!
    Please have me down for £125, that will include cleaning materials and food, for 2 people.
    Off to plough through, thank goodness it's another snow day....

Un sou est un sou
  • Well, thanks to the weather, it's been yet another NSD for me today! So far this month not a penny has left the family wallet on food. My GC is only for food, officially, but I'll try and see if I can stretch it to cover ALL shopping, bar clothing - and I don't anticipate any of that this month, so I should be safe.

Thank goodness for pantries!
    If you see me on here - shout at me to get off and go and get something useful done!! :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure