Tesco Broadband - no smtp outgoing mail server - help!

2»

Comments

• hak987
    hak987 Posts: 8 Forumite
    tronator wrote: »
    Gmail supports POP3 and IMAP. You only need to enable it in your account. There was another thread about it here today...

Oh right, thanks. I'll take a look - I didn't realise!
  • Mr_Oink
    Mr_Oink Posts: 1,012 Forumite
    Tesco Broaband more or less equals virgin media who were supposed to now be using port 465 for outbound SMTP. That said, I don't know if that has floated down to Tesco.

What I can say is port 25 SMTP is open and taking connections, but seems to refuse my gentle nc connect attempt. I assume this is probably to limit access to their own customer ranges:
    nc mail.tesco.net 25
    421 aamtaout01-winn.ispmail.ntl.com connection refused from x.x.x.x
    So before you spend any money, just check your settings as there does not appear to be an audit trail of issues with outbound SMTP missing from the Tesco within an easy google.

If they really are providing *no* email now, then consider taking up a gmail account. You can pop/smtp that without cost.
  • debitcardmayhem
    debitcardmayhem Posts: 11,858 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    hak987 wrote: »
    The latest Tesco Broadband does not provide any SMTP outgoing mail server relay service! I can't believe a ISP provider wouldn't provide this service and have only just found out now that I've switched to it! Now I'm stuck as I want to keep using Outlook for my existing email address (with my former ISP) and need an SMTP server to relay my outgoing messages.
    Does anyone know of a free SMTP relay service?
    Has anyone else had this same Tesco problem (Note it is with the latest broadband package they are offering)? How have you got round it? (All Tesco's suggest is getting an internet email address e.g. gmail, yahoo etc. but I don't want that.
    Any ideas please?

All you need to is send it out with a Reply-To address as your old email address , using the Tesco supplied address. It is in the options of Outlook but my access to Outlook is not here at the mo, she's away till Friday. I know that in Thunderbird it is a drop down box on the To line, but outlook I think it is not that easy.

eg
    To: hisfriend@here
    Reply-To: [EMAIL="DCM@DCM.com.replyi"]DCM@DCM.com.replyi[/EMAIL]sp

🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • hak987
    All you need to is send it out with a Reply-To address as your old email address , using the Tesco supplied address.

But that's the problem - they've not supplied an email address and won't.
  • Mr_Oink
    Mr_Oink Posts: 1,012 Forumite
    They don't offer a control panel / portal to set one up? Or to set up an 'extra' one?
  • debitcardmayhem
    debitcardmayhem Posts: 11,858 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    hak987 wrote: »
    But that's the problem - they've not supplied an email address and won't.

Sorry .... What package have you from TESCO ? all their one's I found have up to 15 email address and more, mind you it is not exactly cheap according to tesco.net "Value Broadband is (13.67 / month for 512k + 5 Gb download :rotfl:)
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • hak987
    Thanks for your comments - to make this thread easier initially I said 'I' throughout but in actual fact this is my Dad who has this package and all the troubles. [It seemed easier just to say it was me].
    His package is Tesco broadband with inclusive anytime calls. I don't think it is personally that cheap for broadband but they make a lot of calls and it is £23 per month all inclusive. He doesn't want to change it really, hence my queries.
    He's decided to go with paying £14 for the AUTHSMTP and stick with his old address. I think eventually (when he can face changing his email address) he might go with gmail (but he is 78 after all! and would rather stick with what he knows).
    Many thanks to all of you for your help - it's certainly been a learning curve.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure