Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • theaugusto
    • By theaugusto 19th May 17, 8:54 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 0Thanks
    housing benefit , boarder/lodger
    • #1
    • 19th May 17, 8:54 PM
    housing benefit , boarder/lodger 19th May 17 at 8:54 PM
    Hello everyone,
    I have been living in a big city for a few years and have been receiving housing benefit, but due to the deterioration of mental health I've decided to move out my flat in the city and move to the country side , I've asked a family friend if he could rent me a room in his house and he agreed. what i wanted to know is would I still be able to claim housing benefit If I am a boarder in someone's house.
Page 1
    • GotToChange
    • By GotToChange 20th May 17, 10:39 AM
    • 1,251 Posts
    • 1,313 Thanks
    • #2
    • 20th May 17, 10:39 AM
    • #2
    • 20th May 17, 10:39 AM
    I think you can - it might be a lower rate, probably "shared house" rate vs. whatever you were getting as a sole occupant in your own apartment (which may not have been the full rent anyway?) And also it may be affected by moving from one Local Authority to another.
    Last edited by GotToChange; 20-05-2017 at 10:43 AM.

    • tboo
    • By tboo 20th May 17, 10:48 AM
    • 587 Posts
    • 2,128 Thanks
    • #3
    • 20th May 17, 10:48 AM
    • #3
    • 20th May 17, 10:48 AM
    How old are you?
    started on No Clutter thread
    “You’re only here for a short visit. Don’t hurry, don't worry and be sure to smell the flowers along the way.” —Walter Hagen
    • theaugusto
    • By theaugusto 20th May 17, 12:11 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    • #4
    • 20th May 17, 12:11 PM
    • #4
    • 20th May 17, 12:11 PM
    I am 28 years old
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 20th May 17, 12:18 PM
    • 11,117 Posts
    • 13,042 Thanks
    • #5
    • 20th May 17, 12:18 PM
    • #5
    • 20th May 17, 12:18 PM
    You can claim HB as a lodger as long as you have liability for rent. Your landlord must not be a close family member.

    Your landlord would have to write a letter stating that you were a lodger in the house and that your rent was *****.

    You would be assessed for HB based on the shared accommodation rate. You can check what this is on the council's website.

    How much you got would depend on your financial circumstances,

    Are you claiming any means tested benefits? Are you claiming PIP or DLA?

    Your landlord may also be affected if you live in their house re: tax implications, if they are on any benefits.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,487Posts Today

8,738Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Happy Birthday Jordon. 21 today. Wish you as good a day as you can, and hope you are out of hospital and on the m?

  • Got a Help to buy ISA? You have an urgent decision to make or risk missing out on £1,000s. I explain in detail here?

  • URGENT warning to all prospective first time buyers. You need to decide NOW if you are moving your help to buy ISA?

  • Follow Martin