Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • avogadro
    • By avogadro 19th May 17, 3:15 PM
    • 2,581Posts
    • 4,123Thanks
    avogadro
    vege shepherds pie / cottage pie?
    • 19th May 17, 3:15 PM
    vege shepherds pie / cottage pie? 19th May 17 at 3:15 PM
    Has anyone had any success making a vegetarian version of shepherds pie? I would like to try making one for a vegetarian friend. What sort of things do you use for the base mixture?
Page 1
    • Shrimply
    • By Shrimply 19th May 17, 3:21 PM
    • 762 Posts
    • 398 Thanks
    Shrimply
    • 19th May 17, 3:21 PM
    • 19th May 17, 3:21 PM
    Delia does one which I've roughly (very roughly) follwed and it seemed to work pretty well.

I think this one here pretty much the one I used out of a book but the goats cheese mash is new.

One of the things I added, and tend to add to any sort of vegetarian gravy option is Marmite, which add substance and a "meaty" sort of flavour.
    • edwink
    • By edwink 19th May 17, 3:45 PM
    • 1,567 Posts
    • 11,511 Thanks
    edwink
    • 19th May 17, 3:45 PM
    • 19th May 17, 3:45 PM
    Has anyone had any success making a vegetarian version of shepherds pie? I would like to try making one for a vegetarian friend. What sort of things do you use for the base mixture?
    Originally posted by avogadro
    We often make Veggie shepherds pie with Quorn mince and it tastes really nice. We make ours in batches and it freezes well when frozen. To add interest to the dish we add chestnut mushrooms, onions and carrots when cooking the Quorn. Add roasted onion gravy granules (from Aldi and other supermarkets) when mince and veg are cooked and top with mash potato. YUM!!! We add baked beans to top of the mince before putting the potato on the top for added interest and flavour to the dish.

HTH

Edwink
    3.36 kWp system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solar Edge Inverter
    7 ducks ~ 17 hens ~ 1 handsome Cockerel
    2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing Hybrid Toyota Auris car

Hens & ducks chat thread
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
    • Tiddlywinks
    • By Tiddlywinks 19th May 17, 4:16 PM
    • 5,301 Posts
    • 18,042 Thanks
    Tiddlywinks
    • 19th May 17, 4:16 PM
    • 19th May 17, 4:16 PM
    I use Neal' Yard soya mince or chunks as a substitute in any recipes calling for red meat.

I find it has a firmer 'bite' than quorn and goes further too.

Just make up a batch of mince with veggie stock and then use whatever recipe takes your fancy.
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 19th May 17, 4:30 PM
    • 9,409 Posts
    • 101,537 Thanks
    LameWolf
    • 19th May 17, 4:30 PM
    • 19th May 17, 4:30 PM
    I use Qu0rn mince along with onion, peas and thinly-sliced carrot. I also add a vegetarian Qu!xo stock cube (@ldi's version of 0xo which I actually prefer to the branded one) and a squirt of tomato puree. Good thick layer of mash on top, with a little grated cheese - our local farmers market does cheese made with veggie rennet.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 19th May 17, 4:32 PM
    • 1,291 Posts
    • 10,377 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    • 19th May 17, 4:32 PM
    • 19th May 17, 4:32 PM
    Another here using TVP . I don't like Quorn although family and friends do . I like the chilled or frozen veggie mince and most supermarkets sell it . I find Morrisons , Sainsburys and WR versions best . Marks used to sell the best version of all but a few years ago fresh tvp mince was taken off general sale for a while and following the return was no longer in my local store '
    They still use it in their veggie meals range but seems to be only in larger stores in the bagged version .
    Check stocks , sauces etc are vegetarian .
    Top tip is Hendersons Relish which is a dead ringer for Worcester sauce but minus the anchovies , It has a spicy kick and is brilliant in lots of savoury foods .
    H&B and others sell the dried TVP mentioned by Tiddlywinks and it's a very useful standby .
    polly
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 19th May 17, 4:50 PM
    • 9,409 Posts
    • 101,537 Thanks
    LameWolf
    • 19th May 17, 4:50 PM
    • 19th May 17, 4:50 PM
    . Marks used to sell the best version of all but a few years ago fresh tvp mince was taken off general sale for a while and following the return was no longer in my local store
    Originally posted by pollyanna 26
    That's interesting; our local Morries doesn't carry it at all; and following the return, the T£sco one no longer tasted at all nice (it used to be fine) hence I've had to switch to Qu0rn - which I get from @ldi.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • honeythewitch
    • By honeythewitch 19th May 17, 5:16 PM
    • 749 Posts
    • 2,360 Thanks
    honeythewitch
    • 19th May 17, 5:16 PM
    • 19th May 17, 5:16 PM
    I find aduki beans to be the best mince beef substitute to use with gravy.

http://www.veganwomble.co.uk/wordpress/vegan-gravy-and-stocks/#gravy-dry
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 19th May 17, 5:23 PM
    • 1,291 Posts
    • 10,377 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    • 19th May 17, 5:23 PM
    • 19th May 17, 5:23 PM
    Hi LW
    Our morries is quite large with a good range of veggie products , The mince is in the freezers . I never got on with the tesco one after the supermarkets pulled the mince . It's only last year Morries and SBs had it back on sale .
    I've never looked in Lidl or Aldi or other stores but will ask around .
    Take care
    polly
    • caronc
    • By caronc 19th May 17, 7:41 PM
    • 1,532 Posts
    • 8,552 Thanks
    caronc
    I use brown or green lentils as a sub for mince in the base, 100g of uncooked lentils replaces approx 250g mince. I add a splash of mushroom ketchup to the base mix for flavour.
    Feb GC £122/£100, Mar GC £131/£150, April GC £150/£160, May £116/£150
    • sillyvixen
    • By sillyvixen 19th May 17, 9:16 PM
    • 2,896 Posts
    • 4,362 Thanks
    sillyvixen
    I use a mix of red lentils, grated carrot, finely chopped mushrooms and onion with tinned tomatoes and mark its made up as stock. Although it is just me that eats it I cook a huge pot and use it in 'shepardless' pie, lasagne, with pasta (bolanaise style) jacket potato topping and have even used it in a pie (closed or open topped with cheese).
    Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
    • JIL
    • By JIL 19th May 17, 10:26 PM
    • 3,003 Posts
    • 17,249 Thanks
    JIL
    I like it with puy or brown lentils in the base. I have also used bulgar wheat as a mince substitute and that works well.
    I am sure your friend will appreciate the fact you have made the effort, whatever you decide to use.
    • flea72
    • By flea72 19th May 17, 10:59 PM
    • 5,202 Posts
    • 5,216 Thanks
    flea72
    Lentils cooked in red wine, give a meaty texture/flavour.
    • Debran
    • By Debran 20th May 17, 4:11 PM
    • 124 Posts
    • 126 Thanks
    Debran
    http://cheap-family-recipes.org/recipe-shepherdlesspie.html?opt=rdinner
    • avogadro
    • By avogadro 21st May 17, 7:37 PM
    • 2,581 Posts
    • 4,123 Thanks
    avogadro
    Thankyou for all your ideas, I might try brown lentils. I haven't cooked with them before, but I think you can get them in tins, which might make for an easy meal.
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 22nd May 17, 12:39 PM
    • 9,192 Posts
    • 17,297 Thanks
    zippychick
    our complete veggie collection will help, it's a massive resource

good luck!

zip
    I'm a Board Guide of Old Style MoneySaving, The Northern Ireland board,How Much Have you Saved? and Martin's Blogs.
    This means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide?
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

• jackyann
    • By jackyann 22nd May 17, 9:24 PM
    • 2,983 Posts
    • 5,541 Thanks
    jackyann
    I use Rose Elliott's shepherds'pie:

http://www.roseelliot.com/catalogue_main.php?catID=2031

using black beluga lentils & smoked cheddar mash. It is not the cheapest vege shepherds' pie, but fora special friend (rather than the family on a Wednesday night) it is fantastic.

I really recommend Rose Elliott, I have cooked from her recipes all of my adult life and she is reliable, sensible and has a great range of recipes.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

629Posts Today

4,821Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Ugh another one trying it! Beware https://t.co/Ab9fCRA76F

• Follow Martin