Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • elliottmatt1972
    • By elliottmatt1972 19th May 17, 5:41 AM
    • 23Posts
    • 1Thanks
    elliottmatt1972
    HTB ISA used current tax year, can I withdraw and open Cash ISA?
    • 19th May 17, 5:41 AM
    HTB ISA used current tax year, can I withdraw and open Cash ISA? 19th May 17 at 5:41 AM
    Hi,

I have already made a 200 GBP payment this tax year into my Halifax HTB ISA.

If I withdraw 200 GBP and discontinue payments can I then pay this year's subscription into a Cash ISA and maintain my prior years in the HTB ISA?

ie payments out are deducted from current year first and a full withdrawal of current year subscriptions would no longer constitute use of the cash ISA allowance in this account?

Thanks.
    Last edited by elliottmatt1972; 19-05-2017 at 5:45 AM.
Page 1
    • isasmurf
    • By isasmurf 19th May 17, 7:14 AM
    • 1,718 Posts
    • 738 Thanks
    isasmurf
    • 19th May 17, 7:14 AM
    • 19th May 17, 7:14 AM
    One would question why you'd want to do this given the poor interest rates in non HTB cash ISAs but to answer your question, you could do this under self-transfer rules.

From HMRC ISA managers guidance
    However, where
     the investor subscribes to two cash ISAs, in the same tax year, and
     subscriptions to the first ISA subscribed to were valid, and
     all of the current year subscriptions to the first ISA subscribed to were withdrawn (whether or not that ISA was closed) (see paragraph 12.33) before subscriptions to the second ISA were made the subscriptions to the second ISA may be valid (see paragraph 12.32a)

12.32a The first cash ISA to be self-transferred in a tax year is valid, and need not be repaired.

The second (and any subsequent) self-transferred cash ISA is not valid and is not eligible for repair.
    Edit to add: you could always just do a normal transfer of current year subscriptions to the ISA you want, assuming it accepts transfers in
    Last edited by isasmurf; 19-05-2017 at 7:18 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,897Posts Today

6,564Users online

Martin's Twitter