Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • luaive
    • By luaive 18th May 17, 8:54 PM
    • 146Posts
    • 185Thanks
    luaive
    Petplan insurance
    • 18th May 17, 8:54 PM
    Petplan insurance 18th May 17 at 8:54 PM
    My dog recently decided she was going to munch something which seriously did not agree with her (Bin raiding) I took her to the vets within 20 minutes of seeing symptoms (hasn't realised she's taken anything), I said that she was insured so they were happy to do what ever was needed. So I put fill in the claim form and so does the vet, who states that yes she has been seen before with the same symptoms. Although it was not as severe (she was just given some charcoal and we were told to take her for a walk for her to throw up-she really is a !!!!!! for finding things she shouldn't!) where as this one she was given an iv drip, bloodtests and overnight observation among other things. So now PetPlan are classing it as a pre-existing condition and are refusing to pay out! I have cover for life with them! Fat lot of good its done! This is my first claim with them!! Is it worth me contacting the ombudsman? Help please! I'm left with a £350 vet bill
    Last edited by luaive; 18-05-2017 at 9:21 PM.
Page 1
    • LusciousLuce
    • By LusciousLuce 18th May 17, 10:05 PM
    • 76 Posts
    • 121 Thanks
    LusciousLuce
    • 18th May 17, 10:05 PM
    • 18th May 17, 10:05 PM
    Gosh, that's tough. I wouldn't assess a foreign body/dietary indiscretion as either a continuation of a previous claim or as pre-existing, if it's a separate incident. However without seeing the history it's difficult; if your pet has a history of GI symptoms they may be assessing it as the same condition as those incidents.
    But before you rush to the ombudsman there will be a reassessment process with PP. How far along with this are you? If you've just been told your claim is declined after first assessment, ring them and tell them you want it re-assessed. This will require evidence from your vet that this incident is in no way connected with the previous loss. If it's still declined, ask about their complaints process. You'll need to follow this through before the ombudsman will become involved.
    Last edited by LusciousLuce; 18-05-2017 at 10:09 PM.
    • mum2one
    • By mum2one 19th May 17, 12:53 AM
    • 16,120 Posts
    • 59,917 Thanks
    mum2one
    • 19th May 17, 12:53 AM
    • 19th May 17, 12:53 AM
    It might be worth speaking to the vets practice, maybe they can re word the bill.

I'm with petplan myself, under the impression as long as it's nit within 14 days of the start of policy then it should be covered.

Also give pp a ring and see shot they say. Hope u get sorted x
    17 crafts in 2017 = 0/17
    Sisters legacy -50 charitable acts 43/50
    Tackling the debt free life one day at a time xx
    RIP Dad, - Always love you, - He was 1 in a million xx
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 19th May 17, 3:54 PM
    • 3,443 Posts
    • 2,589 Thanks
    sheramber
    • 19th May 17, 3:54 PM
    • 19th May 17, 3:54 PM
    did the first occasion happen before you took out insurance?

What exactly did your vet report? It may be how he has reported as the problem that has caused the refusal

Petplan are very strict about what they consider pre existing conditions or anything related to them. They may consider there is a pre exisistng digestion problem e which leads to your dog being prone to stomach upsets.

A friend;s dog had a stomach upset and when she took out insurance Petplan excluded all further stomach related conditions.

When my dog had an allergic reaction causing skin eruptions Petplan excluded any other skin complaint so if he had developed skin cancer he would not have been covered although it would have had no connection to his allergy to lamb

Was the vet able to determine and report what she had eaten? If not, what proof is there that the upset was caused by a foreign body rather than just a gastric upset?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

100Posts Today

2,228Users online

Martin's Twitter