Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • denk15
    • By denk15 18th May 17, 12:53 PM
    • 28Posts
    • 10Thanks
    denk15
    Switching life assurance regularly
    • 18th May 17, 12:53 PM
    Switching life assurance regularly 18th May 17 at 12:53 PM
    Hello money savers

I have a question on switching life assurance regularly and the pitfalls

I took out life assurance over a year ago now (Had a child and bought a house)

I have noticed on popular cash back websites, that there are large amounts of cashback for life assurance policies (£130 roughly for the premiums I would pay)

My question is, what are the pitfalls in switching life assurance regularly? (Every year or 2). I understand that as I get older my life assurance premiums would increase if I were to switch, but at the moment from the quotes I have gotten, the premiums are the same as my current cover

So if the premiums are roughly the same, what would be the harm in switching to get the cashback offers up until the point where an increase in premiums would not make it worthwhile?

I have level cover over 35 years if that is relevant

Disclaimer: I know cashback is not guaranteed

Thanks for your help
Page 1
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 18th May 17, 1:13 PM
    • 88,168 Posts
    • 53,390 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 18th May 17, 1:13 PM
    • 18th May 17, 1:13 PM
    My question is, what are the pitfalls in switching life assurance regularly? (Every year or 2). I understand that as I get older my life assurance premiums would increase if I were to switch, but at the moment from the quotes I have gotten, the premiums are the same as my current cover
    None as long as you remain in clean health and dont set the term at 2 years each time and its only life assurance (and doesnt include any other bolt ons such as critical illness cover).
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from a Financial Adviser local to you.
    • HappyHarry
    • By HappyHarry 18th May 17, 8:42 PM
    • 337 Posts
    • 402 Thanks
    HappyHarry
    • 18th May 17, 8:42 PM
    • 18th May 17, 8:42 PM
    If you find it cheaper for the same cover, then there's nothing wrong with switching.

It's usually best to make sure that the new policy is in place before you cancel the old policy, in case any issue comes up in underwriting.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser. Any comments I make here are intended for information / discussion only. Nothing I post here should be construed as advice. If you are looking for individual financial advice, please contact a local Independent Financial Adviser.
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 19th May 17, 8:08 AM
    • 3,493 Posts
    • 2,179 Thanks
    csgohan4
    • 19th May 17, 8:08 AM
    • 19th May 17, 8:08 AM
    once you hit 40 the costs go up significantly. You won't be able to keep switching indefinitely.
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

305Posts Today

1,941Users online

Martin's Twitter