Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Chars97
    • By Chars97 16th May 17, 10:40 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Chars97
    Mums ran up debt in my name and won't pay
    • 16th May 17, 10:40 PM
    Mums ran up debt in my name and won't pay 16th May 17 at 10:40 PM
    Hey,
    2 years ago my mother went behind my back and gout out a number of catolgues in my name, and maxed out all of them. I only found out last year, when she wes very apologetic (she's blacklisted herself btw so turned on me) and promised to pay them. It's now 2 years later and I've been warned that bailifs are after
    My possessions, as I'm only on a minimum wage job and I can't afford to pay all of my mums debt in my name; even though I know I shouldn't have it anyway!! As I'm a hard worker, I'm actually a apprentice who works 45 hours a week, and have intentions of eventually qualifying and a few years down the line getting a mortgage. However when I found this out my whole life dreams were crushed, as when even I tried to apply for a credit card just to help boost my credit rating I wasn't even accepted. My mother has no remorse and doesn't care for what she's done, but also I DO NOT want her to go prison for this, as in my heart I just couldn't let that happen. So I need to try and find a way to get my name out of this equation, is there anyway possible. I'm just a 19 year old in desperate need of help!!!!!

Thanks in advance xxx
Page 1
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 16th May 17, 10:42 PM
    • 8,115 Posts
    • 12,245 Thanks
    worried jim
    • 16th May 17, 10:42 PM
    • 16th May 17, 10:42 PM
    Easy. Call the police and report the crime. Simples.
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • damoC
    • By damoC 16th May 17, 10:56 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    damoC
    • 16th May 17, 10:56 PM
    • 16th May 17, 10:56 PM
    As above. Call the police she's comitted fraud. I highly doubt she will to to prison. She will probably just get a caution and to pay a fine and costs. IF you reprt it I imagine you'd be able to get the creditors to stop chasing you due to it being a crime that's not your fault.
    • Justice13075
    • By Justice13075 16th May 17, 11:34 PM
    • 786 Posts
    • 380 Thanks
    Justice13075
    • 16th May 17, 11:34 PM
    • 16th May 17, 11:34 PM
    She can only receive a caution if she admits the offence at the Police Station and there will not be any fine or costs. Only a court can impose that penalty.
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 17th May 17, 12:38 AM
    • 1,819 Posts
    • 765 Thanks
    Ben8282
    • 17th May 17, 12:38 AM
    • 17th May 17, 12:38 AM
    1. Who told you baliffs are after your possessions?
    2. How did your mother open credit accounts in your name 2 years ago when you were only 17?
    • Lith
    • By Lith 17th May 17, 1:47 AM
    • 825 Posts
    • 233 Thanks
    Lith
    • 17th May 17, 1:47 AM
    • 17th May 17, 1:47 AM
    It's not your problem if *someone used your name*

Call the police and tell your mother to simply do one.

bridges have been burned.
    HSBC (Main A/C)
    Halifax Back up A/C
    Lloyds (Spending) A/C
    RBS Back up A/C
    Barclays Old A/C
    Nationwide Old A/C
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 17th May 17, 3:34 AM
    • 6,226 Posts
    • 7,579 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    • 17th May 17, 3:34 AM
    • 17th May 17, 3:34 AM
    As above. Call the police she's comitted fraud. I highly doubt she will to to prison.
    Originally posted by damoC
    It depends on the specific charge that she is convicted of and the amount involved.

She will probably just get a caution and to pay a fine and costs
    One or the other. The police have the power to caution. But they have no power to fine.
    • gycraig
    • By gycraig 17th May 17, 8:03 AM
    • 296 Posts
    • 178 Thanks
    gycraig
    • 17th May 17, 8:03 AM
    • 17th May 17, 8:03 AM
    I would be turning my mum straight in.
    • Enterprise 1701C
    • By Enterprise 1701C 17th May 17, 8:12 AM
    • 17,896 Posts
    • 191,027 Thanks
    Enterprise 1701C
    • 17th May 17, 8:12 AM
    • 17th May 17, 8:12 AM
    Go to the citizens advice bureau. Under the age of 18 you cannot usually be held to have made a contract apart from for things needed like your food, shelter or housing.
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 17th May 17, 10:19 AM
    • 1,819 Posts
    • 765 Thanks
    Ben8282
    Just a thought here before you go to the police, What did your Mum actually order from these catalogues? Did you benefit in any way from these orders? Presumably she will deny it and say you ordered the things for yourself and are trying to blame her, Were the items ordered more suitable for use by her or you?
    • Candyapple
    • By Candyapple 17th May 17, 10:25 AM
    • 1,844 Posts
    • 1,458 Thanks
    Candyapple
    Step 1: Obtain copies of all 3 of your credit reports.

The free versions to check your credit files are below:
    Experian: www.moneysavingexpert.com/creditclub
    Call Credit: www.noddle.co.uk
    Equifax: www.clearscore.com

Step 2: Report ID theft to police in order to obtain a crime reference number:
    http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/fraud_protection/identity_fraud

Step 3: Write to all lenders on your files who your mum has taken out accounts in your name and inform them that

a) the account was taken out fraudulently by ID theft

b) supply them with the crime reference number so that they know you have reported it to the police and if they need to pursue costs they know who to contact

c) Ask them to remove the accounts from your files

Step 4: Sign up for CIFAS protective registration to prevent your mum from doing this again in the future.
    https://www.cifas.org.uk/pr_for_individuals
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
    • stuart30
    • By stuart30 17th May 17, 10:30 AM
    • 495 Posts
    • 209 Thanks
    stuart30
    I had something similar where my late mother used my wife's name to obtain credit...that and maybe 6-8 different names.

Problem is actually proving you never applied for the credit..after all they could counter argue (creditors) that you opened the accounts and now simply don't want to pay.

Not suggesting that's what happened...simply what they could state in response to your issue with your Mum.
    • Candyapple
    • By Candyapple 17th May 17, 10:35 AM
    • 1,844 Posts
    • 1,458 Thanks
    Candyapple
    I had something similar where my late mother used my wife's name to obtain credit...that and maybe 6-8 different names.

Problem is actually proving you never applied for the credit..after all they could counter argue (creditors) that you opened the accounts and now simply don't want to pay.

Not suggesting that's what happened...simply what they could state in response to your issue with your Mum.
    Originally posted by stuart30
    Hence why the only way to get the adverse data and lenders removed from the credit reports is to report the crime to the police to get a crime reference number. No company is going to argue with that.

If OP doesn't want to report the crime to the police, then she will have to live with the consequences of a trashed credit history for the next 6 years. There is no in between.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
    • Jaith
    • By Jaith 17th May 17, 10:37 AM
    • 14 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Jaith
    Awful situation to be in. While everybody here is correct to say 'call the police', it's not a reassuring statement on its own, and I'm sure they'd feel the same dilemma in your situation. My two cents if it helps:

1) I also highly doubt your mother would go to prison. As somebody else has suggested it would most likely be a fine, and possibly community service. Your mother probably has some psychological issues to do this something like this to her own child, without remorse. Judges tend to have a huge range of discretion in these cases. But my view here is anecdotal; if you want further advice, try speaking to Citizens Advice or google for free Legal Support Lines.

2) You need to address this quickly now that you're aware of it - for your own sake. If you let this go on it, your wages could be stopped at source (i.e. repayments taken out of your pay), and it could even hinder you from getting certain types of jobs in the future. That's not to mention a mortgage. If you report it now you should be totally clear after a little paperwork; if you let it go on then you could possibly become seen as complicit, and it would be far more difficult to exonerate yourself.

Good luck
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 17th May 17, 10:49 AM
    • 6,226 Posts
    • 7,579 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    Why do people post on a forum and then not look at the answers?
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 17th May 17, 10:57 AM
    • 58,682 Posts
    • 337,966 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Why do people post on a forum and then not look at the answers?
    Originally posted by PeacefulWaters
    Maybe because he works 45 hours/week, which might mean Mon-Fri 9 hours/day, then there's a lunch break, so 10 hours/day - with an hour's commute each way, that's a 12 hour day ...

Posted before he went to bed last night, got up this morning and went straight out to work ... and probably expects 1-2 answers, max, when he checks in his lunchbreak.
    • stuart30
    • By stuart30 17th May 17, 11:52 AM
    • 495 Posts
    • 209 Thanks
    stuart30
    Hence why the only way to get the adverse data and lenders removed from the credit reports is to report the crime to the police to get a crime reference number. No company is going to argue with that.

If OP doesn't want to report the crime to the police, then she will have to live with the consequences of a trashed credit history for the next 6 years. There is no in between.
    Originally posted by Candyapple

I agree the police need to be called and have it reported to start the ball rolling.

However i doubt it will be that easy..what if Mum says "I know nothing"..then id imagine it getting very messy.

Only going on past experience and that is if Mum is nasty enough to obtain false credit in son/daughters name then simply lying to cover tracks would come easy.
    • Rosemary7391
    • By Rosemary7391 17th May 17, 12:05 PM
    • 1,510 Posts
    • 2,626 Thanks
    Rosemary7391
    Do you still live with your mother? If so that makes calling the police much more complicated, you have to consider how your mother would react. However calling the police is the only way to get this resolved properly - even if you did manage to pay off the debt, what would stop your mother doing this again?
    Me escondo detras de mi lengua... tengo miedo de que me entiendas... pero me gustara que me entendases ¡Ayudame!
    • Chrysalis
    • By Chrysalis 17th May 17, 12:38 PM
    • 1,621 Posts
    • 570 Thanks
    Chrysalis
    there is no best of both worlds.

A couple of years back I had a situation where my elder sister defaulted on Virgin Media payments which was put in my name at her address.

Virgin Media told me I had 2 choices, proceed with reporting it as a crime, or deal with the debt as my own, I did the latter and luckily my sister apologised and paid me back.

If my sister had turned on me tho, and showed no remorse, then I may have gone the other route. Also a factor was the debt wasnt very large, under £200. So was not difficult for me to settle to get it of my credit file. If was say £2000 I am not sure if I would have dealt with it the same.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 17th May 17, 1:32 PM
    • 17,443 Posts
    • 13,081 Thanks
    agrinnall
    Maybe because he works 45 hours/week, which might mean Mon-Fri 9 hours/day, then there's a lunch break, so 10 hours/day - with an hour's commute each way, that's a 12 hour day ...

Posted before he went to bed last night, got up this morning and went straight out to work ... and probably expects 1-2 answers, max, when he checks in his lunchbreak.
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    Plus of course the OP may have seen the answers anyway, all we know for sure is that they haven't logged in again, but that doesn't mean they haven't looked at the thread without logging in.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,741Posts Today

6,360Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Ugh another one trying it! Beware https://t.co/Ab9fCRA76F

• Follow Martin