Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pavane
    • By pavane 15th May 17, 11:45 PM
    • 114Posts
    • 40Thanks
    pavane
    Best account for paper statements
    • 15th May 17, 11:45 PM
    Best account for paper statements 15th May 17 at 11:45 PM
    I need to build a collection of bank statements in addition to utilities for visa applications in the next few months (online/PDF prints are not accepted unfortunately). Are any banks particularly good at sending lots of paper, at a minimum monthly statements, without charging directly (or indirectly by losing benefits like interest if not paperless?)
Page 1
    • badger09
    • By badger09 16th May 17, 9:28 AM
    • 5,182 Posts
    • 4,383 Thanks
    badger09
    • 16th May 17, 9:28 AM
    • 16th May 17, 9:28 AM
    I need to build a collection of bank statements in addition to utilities for visa applications in the next few months (online/PDF prints are not accepted unfortunately). Are any banks particularly good at sending lots of paper, at a minimum monthly statements, without charging directly (or indirectly by losing benefits like interest if not paperless?)
    Originally posted by pavane
    I have a Current Account Direct from Yorkshire Bank (a legacy from a switching bonus) which send me monthly statements with no option to switch to paper.

That particular account is no longer available to new customers, but have a look at their B and Current Account Plus - both of which offer paper statements according to their FAQs.

Please check before applying though.
    • Stuart_W
    • By Stuart_W 16th May 17, 9:50 AM
    • 1,366 Posts
    • 648 Thanks
    Stuart_W
    • 16th May 17, 9:50 AM
    Paper statements
    • 16th May 17, 9:50 AM
    Co-op bank will send a paper statement every 25 transactions, which if you use your debit card regularly can be quite often. I generally get three every month (although I've got paperless switched on in order to get the monthly reward deal). Most accounts that offer monthly incentives/rewards tend to have paperless as one of the requirements so requiring paper statements may disqualify you for these deals.
    • alanq
    • By alanq 16th May 17, 10:37 AM
    • 3,790 Posts
    • 2,432 Thanks
    alanq
    • 16th May 17, 10:37 AM
    • 16th May 17, 10:37 AM
    Monthly paper statements are available from

Nationwide - except Flexdirect
    First Direct
    NatWest (although online banking nags one to opt for paperless)
    I'm a Board Guide on the Budgeting and Bank Accounts, Savings & Investments, Food Shopping and Over 50s MoneySaving boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 16th May 17, 10:43 AM
    • 30,131 Posts
    • 19,070 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 16th May 17, 10:43 AM
    • 16th May 17, 10:43 AM
    RBS is another.

Co Op might be best option for the reasons stated.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • mt99
    • By mt99 16th May 17, 11:44 AM
    • 400 Posts
    • 179 Thanks
    mt99
    • 16th May 17, 11:44 AM
    • 16th May 17, 11:44 AM
    If you have Internet banking and a printer (not sure if you have) you could of course print out your statements and transactions anytime you want to
    • alanq
    • By alanq 16th May 17, 11:49 AM
    • 3,790 Posts
    • 2,432 Thanks
    alanq
    • 16th May 17, 11:49 AM
    • 16th May 17, 11:49 AM
    If you have Internet banking and a printer (not sure if you have) you could of course print out your statements and transactions anytime you want to
    Originally posted by mt99
    Fine for ones own records but not acceptable as evidence of identity/income to other bodies.

As original posts states "(online/PDF prints are not accepted unfortunately)".
    I'm a Board Guide on the Budgeting and Bank Accounts, Savings & Investments, Food Shopping and Over 50s MoneySaving boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 16th May 17, 3:40 PM
    • 3,639 Posts
    • 36,625 Thanks
    Katiehound
    • 16th May 17, 3:40 PM
    • 16th May 17, 3:40 PM
    Monthly paper statements from the following:
    Halifax (my main a/c so lots of activity.)
    Club Lloyds
    HSBC Advance
    M&S
    BOS (every 2 months)
    Think Tesco is a likely one (a friend gets hers on paper , I do online.)

My question is, Could they be CC statements as well / instead?
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!

If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Thank You
    • hoc
    • By hoc 16th May 17, 11:21 PM
    • 167 Posts
    • 128 Thanks
    hoc
    • 16th May 17, 11:21 PM
    • 16th May 17, 11:21 PM
    I am fully paperless so haven't checked in a few years but I don't know of any directly charging for routine statements, only for past copies. Lloyds wanted to charge me something ridiculous a few years ago, I can't recall the fee rate but it was per sheet and a 2-3 years of statements would have come to several hundred pounds. So it is good to switch to paper in anticipation.

I don't remember which ones stipulated paperless as a requirement for rewards/interest.
    • Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 17th May 17, 11:11 AM
    • 3,639 Posts
    • 36,625 Thanks
    Katiehound
    I don't remember which ones stipulated paperless as a requirement for rewards/interest.
    Originally posted by hoc
    TSB Classic Plus- paperless statements and paperless communications to earn the monthly interest
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!

If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Thank You
    • Don80
    • By Don80 19th May 17, 1:53 PM
    • 186 Posts
    • 71 Thanks
    Don80
    Paper statements
    Originally posted by pavane
    Pretty much every bank sends paper statements, usually monthly or quarterly. I have accounts with Bank of Scotland, TSB and RBS, all send paper statements, but the TSB one needs to be paperless to get the higher rate of interest. To be "green" I'm paperless with RBS too. (I want to go through my spending at the end of the month so I am getting paper statements from Bank of Scotland, it'll save me doing the printing. I'll go paperless again in a few months.) I also have a savings account with Clydesdale Bank (with a debit card unusually) which sends paper statements.

You should check if online/PDF prints are accepted if they are stamped by the bank - this is acceptable for UK visa applications.
    • cheesetoast
    • By cheesetoast 19th May 17, 7:25 PM
    • 251 Posts
    • 162 Thanks
    cheesetoast
    Co-op bank will send a paper statement every 25 transactions, which if you use your debit card regularly can be quite often. I generally get three every month (although I've got paperless switched on in order to get the monthly reward deal). Most accounts that offer monthly incentives/rewards tend to have paperless as one of the requirements so requiring paper statements may disqualify you for these deals.
    Originally posted by Stuart_W
    Haha yes... Co-op bank are like the statement vomit monster.
    • EarthBoy
    • By EarthBoy 19th May 17, 8:43 PM
    • 1,748 Posts
    • 1,062 Thanks
    EarthBoy
    TSB and RBS, all send paper statements, but the TSB one needs to be paperless to get the higher rate of interest.
    Originally posted by Don80
    There's only rate of interest on the TSB Classic Plus account and you need to go paperless to get it. Otherwise, you don't get any interest at all.
    • glosoli
    • By glosoli 19th May 17, 10:56 PM
    • 667 Posts
    • 385 Thanks
    glosoli
    I have a Current Account Direct from Yorkshire Bank (a legacy from a switching bonus) which send me monthly statements with no option to switch to paper.

That particular account is no longer available to new customers, but have a look at their B and Current Account Plus - both of which offer paper statements according to their FAQs.

Please check before applying though.
    Originally posted by badger09
    For your awareness, if you upgrade your account to the B account (free of charge and almost instant), you can download a much better online banking app for CYBG, which features an option to disable paper statements if you want.
    • hoc
    • By hoc 19th May 17, 11:25 PM
    • 167 Posts
    • 128 Thanks
    hoc
    Is TSB really the only one requiring paperless for interest then? Was this always the case? I'm sure there were others a few years ago when I first started using multiple accounts for interest but admit haven't checked and switch to paperless without even thinking. Was it the regular savers that needed paperless instead?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

210Posts Today

1,660Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin