Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Cash_Cow
    • By Cash_Cow 15th May 17, 8:47 PM
    • 24Posts
    • 2Thanks
    Cash_Cow
    MSE 'soft' search shows up on credit file
    • 15th May 17, 8:47 PM
    MSE 'soft' search shows up on credit file 15th May 17 at 8:47 PM
    Looking at getting a loan to pay off a car PCP in recent weeks and save thousands and did the MSE expert soft search that 'will not show on your credit record'. Well it has x 2!

I clicked through to the Hitachi one they said I'd be eligible for both times as it seemed like a good deal and >BOSH< two 'administration review' searches noted by Callcredit on my file with Noddle.

I wouldnt mind but I DID NOT APPLY - this was just front page landing click through as I continue to research.

Why would MSE port my key personal info to Hitachi without my permission? This all smacks of putting their potemtial kickback before my privacy and I'm sorry i trusted them with my private info in this lead up to getting a loan. I'm normally very cagey with DOB and giving real name etc... :-(
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 15th May 17, 9:12 PM
    • 13,683 Posts
    • 14,143 Thanks
    zx81
    • 15th May 17, 9:12 PM
    • 15th May 17, 9:12 PM
    You see soft searches.

Lenders don't.
    • bengalknights
    • By bengalknights 15th May 17, 9:56 PM
    • 4,146 Posts
    • 1,512 Thanks
    bengalknights
    • 15th May 17, 9:56 PM
    • 15th May 17, 9:56 PM
    As ze81 stastes on your noddle you will see it comes under soft search which only you can see
    • Cash_Cow
    • By Cash_Cow 17th May 17, 5:26 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Cash_Cow
    • 17th May 17, 5:26 PM
    • 17th May 17, 5:26 PM
    OK - thanks. Of all the ones offered via MSE only Hitachi did a search - little odd. Still, happy days as I got the loan and then Nationwide then price promise beat it by 0.5%. Goodbye overpriced PCP and I get to own my new car 100% with easy overpayments online possible
    • Malcnascar
    • By Malcnascar 18th May 17, 2:36 PM
    • 1,151 Posts
    • 1,283 Thanks
    Malcnascar
    • 18th May 17, 2:36 PM
    • 18th May 17, 2:36 PM
    If I had my way all lenders would have to do a soft search as part of seeking a quote. There would be a need for a full search when actually applying for a loan, this ought to help people shop around and eventually allow greater transparency and competition. I live in hope but not expectation.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

607Posts Today

5,843Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin