Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Yorks64
    • By Yorks64 10th May 17, 1:25 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Yorks64
    PPI Where To Start
    • 10th May 17, 1:25 PM
    PPI Where To Start 10th May 17 at 1:25 PM
    Hello Folks

Finally taking the plunge and looking to recover PPI, but how to go about it?

I've had various cards and loans from different companies and don't have much of the detail for older ones. I read the step by step guide and it seems the first thing is to call the company. But what am I asking for? Is it simply whether I've had PPI with them, or something more?

Thanks
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 10th May 17, 1:40 PM
    • 14,043 Posts
    • 14,729 Thanks
    zx81
    • 10th May 17, 1:40 PM
    • 10th May 17, 1:40 PM
    You're asking if you had PPI.
    • Yorks64
    • By Yorks64 10th May 17, 1:44 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Yorks64
    • 10th May 17, 1:44 PM
    • 10th May 17, 1:44 PM
    Thanks zx81, then presumably if the answer is positive I follow up in writing.
    • zx81
    • By zx81 10th May 17, 1:45 PM
    • 14,043 Posts
    • 14,729 Thanks
    zx81
    • 10th May 17, 1:45 PM
    • 10th May 17, 1:45 PM
    Yes, with your complaint reasons for mis sale.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 10th May 17, 2:43 PM
    • 89,513 Posts
    • 55,949 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 10th May 17, 2:43 PM
    • 10th May 17, 2:43 PM
    Thanks zx81, then presumably if the answer is positive I follow up in writing.
    Originally posted by Yorks64
    In most cases, if they tell you on the phone that you had PPI, they will also ask you if you wish to make a complaint and they will take your complaint over the phone there and then.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • Yorks64
    • By Yorks64 11th May 17, 1:23 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Yorks64
    • 11th May 17, 1:23 PM
    • 11th May 17, 1:23 PM
    Took the plunge yesterday and started phoning. First up was Tesco. They said I have no PPI. Is it likely they would "pull a fast one" and say that as a fob off, or should I just move onto the next?

Egg is proving difficult. There's a number for them via Barclaycard but it just rings for a while and then flicks to engaged.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 11th May 17, 1:27 PM
    • 18,708 Posts
    • 9,964 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 11th May 17, 1:27 PM
    • 11th May 17, 1:27 PM
    Took the plunge yesterday and started phoning. First up was Tesco. They said I have no PPI. Is it likely they would "pull a fast one" and say that as a fob off
    Not likely at all..

If you don't want to hang on the telephone to Egg, write to them.
    • Yorks64
    • By Yorks64 11th May 17, 1:32 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Yorks64
    • 11th May 17, 1:32 PM
    • 11th May 17, 1:32 PM
    Not likely at all..

If you don't want to hang on the telephone to Egg, write to them.
    Originally posted by Moneyineptitude
    Thanks. Same story today with Barclaycard. I must be the only person the planet with no PPI!
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 11th May 17, 1:37 PM
    • 89,513 Posts
    • 55,949 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 11th May 17, 1:37 PM
    • 11th May 17, 1:37 PM
    They said I have no PPI. Is it likely they would "pull a fast one" and say that as a fob off, or should I just move onto the next?
    You mean, are they knowingly likely to commit fraud? No. Imprisonment, sanctions and removal of permissions along with massive fines act as a deterrent. One lender got caught making very little effort and was fined massively and has had to go back over every case.

I must be the only person the planet with no PPI!
    No. Most people never bought PPI. You are with the majority.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 11th May 17, 1:44 PM
    • 18,708 Posts
    • 9,964 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    .Same story today with Barclaycard. I must be the only person the planet with no PPI!
    That's not the case.
    In fact, Banks report that many many "complaints" (alleging all kinds of wrong-doing) are received from people who never had any PPI.

At least you don't fall into that particular category...
    • Yorks64
    • By Yorks64 11th May 17, 1:45 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Yorks64
    You mean, are they knowingly likely to commit fraud? No. Imprisonment, sanctions and removal of permissions along with massive fines act as a deterrent. One lender got caught making very little effort and was fined massively and has had to go back over every case.

No. Most people never bought PPI. You are with the majority.
    Originally posted by dunstonh
    Good to know on both counts I guess. Although a little windfall would be nice!
    • Yorks64
    • By Yorks64 11th May 17, 1:47 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Yorks64
    That's not the case.
    In fact, Banks report that many many "complaints" (alleging all kinds of wrong-doing) are received from people who never had any PPI.

At least you don't fall into that particular category...
    Quite right - I'd prefer to ask first then stick the boot in if necessary.
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 11th May 17, 1:49 PM
    • 1,616 Posts
    • 3,322 Thanks
    IAmWales
    Quite right - I'd prefer to ask first then stick the boot in if necessary.
    What is your reason for "sticking the boot in" on companies that appear to have done nothing wrong, except for fancying a little windfall?
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 11th May 17, 1:52 PM
    • 18,708 Posts
    • 9,964 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    What is your reason for "sticking the boot in" on companies that appear to have done nothing wrong, except for fancying a little windfall?
    Originally posted by IAmWales
    I think the OP has fallen for the Claim Company myth that PPI might have been added without his knowledge and permission. The fact is that PPI cannot be hidden; on credit cards it appeared itemised on each monthly statement and with loans it was on the Agreement.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 11th May 17, 2:28 PM
    • 89,513 Posts
    • 55,949 Thanks
    dunstonh
    Good to know on both counts I guess. Although a little windfall would be nice!
    Perhaps not being mis-sold in the first place and have trust and faith in the financial companies you use is better.
    • Yorks64
    • By Yorks64 11th May 17, 2:46 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Yorks64
    I think the OP has fallen for the Claim Company myth that PPI might have been added without his knowledge and permission. The fact is that PPI cannot be hidden; on credit cards it appeared itemised on each monthly statement and with loans it was on the Agreement.
    Quite possibly. That and reading Martin's Money Tips emails, and then looking at this forum. You get told something often enough then maybe it's worth checking. As we say in these parts you get nowt if you don't ask!

As for the previous poster. Baah!
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 11th May 17, 4:28 PM
    • 89,513 Posts
    • 55,949 Thanks
    dunstonh
    As for the previous poster. Baah!
    I only said it as I know a mortgage broker who had a policeman put in a fraudulent complaint against him saying he missold PPI. The broker had never sold any PPI and when the complaint was rejected the policeman spoke with the broker and got angry that he wasn't mis-sold as he wouldn't be getting a payout.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 11th May 17, 4:41 PM
    • 18,708 Posts
    • 9,964 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    I only said it as I know ...
    Originally posted by dunstonh
    I think the OP was referring to "I am Wales" post..
    • lovinituk
    • By lovinituk 11th May 17, 4:42 PM
    • 5,371 Posts
    • 6,038 Thanks
    lovinituk
    Hello Folks

Finally taking the plunge and looking to recover PPI, but how to go about it?

I've had various cards and loans from different companies and don't have much of the detail for older ones. I read the step by step guide and it seems the first thing is to call the company. But what am I asking for? Is it simply whether I've had PPI with them, or something more?

Thanks
    Can you remember how they were missold?
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 11th May 17, 4:58 PM
    • 18,708 Posts
    • 9,964 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Can you remember how they were missold?
    Originally posted by lovinituk
    OP first needs to establish if there was any PPI...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

722Posts Today

6,395Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I believe I can boldly go where no twitter poll has gone before https://t.co/HA0jC92gAK

• OK I'm wilting to public pressure and there will be a star trek captain's poll at some point next week

• I can get that. My order is 1. Picard 2. Janeway 3. Kirk. Too early to say where Lorca will end up (or would you? https://t.co/kawtCOe9RA

• Follow Martin