Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jehangir
    • By jehangir 8th May 17, 3:58 PM
    • 128Posts
    • 8Thanks
    jehangir
    Paypal Alternative
    • 8th May 17, 3:58 PM
    Paypal Alternative 8th May 17 at 3:58 PM
    Hi ,

I am a small independant online retailer selling mostly refurbished / used
    musical instruments 95% my sales
    are online through ebay / reverb .

I am looking for an alternative to paypal as the fees are taking a big
    chunk of any profit I make , I know most people prefer to use paypal due to the ease of use but
    fees are killing me .

Can anyone recommend an alternative or a Debit / credit card system which is both cheaper and safer .

I looked into getting a debit card machine but not too sure how safe they are in terms of sending items .

any help would be much appreciate d.
Page 1
    • paddyrg
    • By paddyrg 8th May 17, 5:00 PM
    • 13,037 Posts
    • 11,102 Thanks
    paddyrg
    • 8th May 17, 5:00 PM
    • 8th May 17, 5:00 PM
    PayPal fees are higher than some payment processors but they're pay as you go. Substantial rate cuts require substantial volume commitments - are you doing £5k/month for instance?
    • soolin
    • By soolin 8th May 17, 5:06 PM
    • 59,076 Posts
    • 41,869 Thanks
    soolin
    • 8th May 17, 5:06 PM
    • 8th May 17, 5:06 PM
    Hi ,

I am a small independant online retailer selling mostly refurbished / used
    musical instruments 95% my sales
    are online through ebay / reverb .

I am looking for an alternative to paypal as the fees are taking a big
    chunk of any profit I make , I know most people prefer to use paypal due to the ease of use but
    fees are killing me .

Can anyone recommend an alternative or a Debit / credit card system which is both cheaper and safer .

I looked into getting a debit card machine but not too sure how safe they are in terms of sending items .

any help would be much appreciate d.
    Originally posted by jehangir
    On ebay you have no choice and must offer paypal, even if you offer another service I suspect very few people will actually use it as paypal is so well ingrained.

I doubt a merchant account /debit card machine would be any cheaper anyway and as you would still have to use an online service for 95% of your sales probably not worth paying a monthly fee.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • bris
    • By bris 8th May 17, 8:40 PM
    • 6,817 Posts
    • 5,850 Thanks
    bris
    • 8th May 17, 8:40 PM
    • 8th May 17, 8:40 PM
    Unless you take out a contract with one of the big merchants, such as Streamline, Barclays etc then there is no better alternative to Paypal. The big ones charge a monthly fee and tie you into contracts.

The other PAYG merchants such as Izettle etc are just the same. Paypal attracts business, put your prices up accordingly, if the fees are killing you increase your prices.

If your not making enough profit to cover the fees then change your business.
    • bengalknights
    • By bengalknights 9th May 17, 9:05 PM
    • 4,109 Posts
    • 1,504 Thanks
    bengalknights
    • 9th May 17, 9:05 PM
    • 9th May 17, 9:05 PM
    Have you checked Stripe and Nochex?
    • patman99
    • By patman99 9th May 17, 9:41 PM
    • 8,018 Posts
    • 9,445 Thanks
    patman99
    • 9th May 17, 9:41 PM
    • 9th May 17, 9:41 PM
    PPPay are another alternative although, like stripe and nochex, you would have to offer a substantial discount to encourage your customers to use them.

If you have a Bank Account that supports it, then PayM is another method of billing.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £244/ £1000 (that's 24.4%)

3-6 month EF £240.61/£3600 (that's 4 days worth)

Do you/your spouse earn less than £197 p/w ?. Fill-in Form R85 and get your Bank interest Tax free.
    • jehangir
    • By jehangir 9th May 17, 10:33 PM
    • 128 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    jehangir
    • 9th May 17, 10:33 PM
    • 9th May 17, 10:33 PM
    Thanks for everyone for taking the time out to reply . my sales can vary quite a bit month to month . I average around £4000 a month but my sales a seasonal as they do fall in the summer quarter .
    • angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 22nd May 17, 8:09 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 518 Thanks
    angryparcel
    • 22nd May 17, 8:09 PM
    • 22nd May 17, 8:09 PM
    Thanks for everyone for taking the time out to reply . my sales can vary quite a bit month to month . I average around £4000 a month but my sales a seasonal as they do fall in the summer quarter .
    Originally posted by jehangir
    You can always pass on the fees to your customers.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,130Posts Today

8,397Users online

Martin's Twitter