Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • historytom
    • By historytom 30th Apr 17, 3:09 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    historytom
    can i reclaim ppi on time barred loans
    • 30th Apr 17, 3:09 PM
    can i reclaim ppi on time barred loans 30th Apr 17 at 3:09 PM
    Hi, can anyone offer any help?
    In the 90s I had several loans from TSB. My personal circumstances suddenly changed and I defaulted on these loans (around 1996).
    I understand that as I have had no contact with the TSB since then, these loans are now statute or time barred.
    I have the original paperwork which shows I was paying PPI on these loans.
    My question is: Should I try to reclaim this PPI and, if I do so, will it "re-open" the loans time-bar, or should I just forget about claiming and leave the loans in their "dead" state?
Page 1
    • molerat
    • By molerat 30th Apr 17, 4:53 PM
    • 16,473 Posts
    • 10,645 Thanks
    molerat
    • 30th Apr 17, 4:53 PM
    • 30th Apr 17, 4:53 PM
    You can try to claim the ppi but they will use it to pay the debt. Just because the debt is statute barred does not mean it does not exist (except in Scotland), they just cannot enforce it through the courts.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • PSW
    • By PSW 30th Apr 17, 7:20 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    PSW
    • 30th Apr 17, 7:20 PM
    • 30th Apr 17, 7:20 PM
    You can try to claim the ppi but they will use it to pay the debt. Just because the debt is statute barred does not mean it does not exist (except in Scotland), they just cannot enforce it through the courts.
    Originally posted by molerat
    Unless the debt has been sold, which seeing as its statute barred there's a good chance it is. Whether it's morally right to make a complaint for ppi on an unpaid debt is another question altogether.
    • historytom
    • By historytom 19th May 17, 6:30 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    historytom
    • 19th May 17, 6:30 PM
    • 19th May 17, 6:30 PM
    I took these loans out in Scotland. Does that make a difference?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

324Posts Today

2,540Users online

Martin's Twitter