Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • misstara
    • By misstara 28th Apr 17, 11:16 PM
    • 2,403Posts
    • 16,668Thanks
    misstara
    May the (NST) force be with you
    • 28th Apr 17, 11:16 PM
    May the (NST) force be with you 28th Apr 17 at 11:16 PM
    MoneySavingExpert Insert:

For anyone new joining in, this is a No Spend Day challenge

See misstara's challenge info below...

------

Welcome to May's NST challenge . Star Wars day is May 4th but other than the title, this is not going to be Star Wars themed challenge I'm afraid

I love May, it's my birthday month so obviously a fab month but it always feels as though spring is properly underway and turning into summer (I'll say nothing about the snow we had earlier this week!), days are continuing to get longer and everyone just seems a little happier. This month, I would like everyone to post daily gratitudes. I find it definitely helps my mood thinking about what I'm grateful for.

EE asked us all to get out in the garden last month and I'd like to continue this for May. Anyone without a garden, try to spend a short while outdoors each day and get some vitamin D.

We are now a third of the way through the year. For those of you who have been following this challenge for a while, in January I asked everyone to set goals for the year. I would like everyone to review those goals and see how much progress has been made. My goals for this year were to become debt free and run a 10k. I did a 10k run last weekend but debt busting has not gone so well. The debt continues to go down but I certainly haven't paid off a third of what I owe since January. In order to motivate myself, I am going to set myself a stretch target for this month and ask that you all do the same.

Usual rules also apply
    - challenge runs from 1st May to 31st May
    - aim for at least 16 NSDs
    - pay to your debt/savings first
    - post daily if you can
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 04-05-2017 at 1:19 PM.
    Debt at LBM Jan 2014 £10458.09 Now £0
    New flat debt Jan 2017 £2302.75 Now £1419.40 (38.4% paid)
    Mini Targets
    Exercise target - Run 3/8, Gym 1/4. Groceries target £127.46/£150. NSD target 11/20.
Page 3
    • pippy1971
    • By pippy1971 1st May 17, 6:33 PM
    • 144 Posts
    • 862 Thanks
    pippy1971
    Thank you for adding me I shall update my signature with my number..

I've decided to try 16 NSDs this month - today I have spent the day indoors catching up with housework, so have managed to keep my debit card in my purse

I have set up a DD for savings, linking into one of the other challenges I've signed up for - the 365 day penny challenge

I have set myself a budget and will be debt free in 36 months if I stick to it this time I need to wean myself of off the tumble drier, that will be my main challenge with this wet weather...

I aim to run three times a week and walk the dog each day.

Today I'm grateful to be up and about after spending the last couple of days waiting for antibiotics to start working - I have a tooth abcess
    Last edited by pippy1971; 01-05-2017 at 7:27 PM.
    • Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 1st May 17, 6:49 PM
    • 844 Posts
    • 7,605 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    Good start to May.
    A walk, no alcohol or rubbish and only spent £12.13 on household shopping (all of it needed). Planned this week's meals using main ingredients from freezer so shouldn't need much more this week. Bought a voucher for lunch out on Friday - part of our plan to get out and about
    Today I'm grateful for:
    Catch up on Now TV (normal TV was rubbish)
    Little ones coming in to play and making me laugh
    Getting the washing dried outside.
    • misstara
    • By misstara 1st May 17, 7:06 PM
    • 2,403 Posts
    • 16,668 Thanks
    misstara
    Chasing Sunshine I've given you a number

pippy1971 to the tooth abscess

greent nice work on getting the car insurance down

Skint Teacher hope you get the money back

abundant 1972 I know, it's been a quick 4 months! Good luck with your 20 NSDs target

ilovetea good luck with your 20 NSDs as well

Eager_Elephant a weekend away with the girls sounds fab, where are you off to?

Apologises if I've missed anyone

So better set my targets
    - 16 NSDs
    - budget is sorted for the month and debt payments have been made
    - I planted some seeds at the weekend so just need to keep watering them and see what happens

I did a lot of overtime last month and should be able to pay off the original debt when I get paid at the end of the month. My stretch target is to also pay off an additional £100 of the new flat debt.

Today I'm grateful for NSD#1, a good work out at the gym, yummy cauliflower cheese for tea and a postcard from my brother who's travelling at the moment.
    Debt at LBM Jan 2014 £10458.09 Now £0
    New flat debt Jan 2017 £2302.75 Now £1419.40 (38.4% paid)
    Mini Targets
    Exercise target - Run 3/8, Gym 1/4. Groceries target £127.46/£150. NSD target 11/20.
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 1st May 17, 7:12 PM
    • 6,408 Posts
    • 46,760 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Today I am grateful for getting out and about despite the soggy weather, for the snooker, for getting some knitting done, for finding a hoodie for dd in a ch shop, for a day off work, for yummy hm chicken satay, for a fresh month, for a phone call yesterday from mil, for my workout - which left me with jelly legs, for the birds that like to visit our back garden.
    NST Organise October #10; NSD 12/20; Ex 6/20; craft 6/31 (212); remove 514
    2017 MFW#63 Pay off: £3229/£4050; 2
    017 sell 116

Mortgage £23,996 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295) MFWDate Dec 2018
    • x_raphael_xx
    • By x_raphael_xx 1st May 17, 7:12 PM
    • 3,397 Posts
    • 17,069 Thanks
    x_raphael_xx
    Today I'm already grateful for an extra day off work
    Originally posted by crazy_cat_lady
    Think of those of us who don't get the bank hols off!

NSDs - 01/20 - No spends for me today.
    Pay to your savings first - Little bit annoyed as I logged into my bank to update my budget, and of course no DD's have gone out. I tend to forget about bank hols as I have to work them so it's just a normal day.
    Go outside - Failed this today. BF was on a half day so he took pups out by the time I got home (he does the morning w.a.l.k, I do the afternoon). Early starts on mondays so I was a little tired & didn't venture out for a run.
    Daily gratitudes - I am grateful today that the tills balanced end of day (as I am everytime it happens) which means I don't have to stay at work for hours fixing the books.
    Debt Free as of 17/01/2009 Turtle Power!!
    - NSD's - /20
    EF Challenger #36 £1000/£5050
    / Lose weight 22.2 / 30lbs
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 1st May 17, 7:26 PM
    • 3,352 Posts
    • 28,788 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Sorry Raph - I always feel for people that have to work the hols, no matter when they are. I realise I'm very lucky to get the time off work that I do...
    I have enjoyed a pyjama day and first nsd of the month. Both kids met up with friends for the most part of the day so I've been pretty much left to my own devices. I was desperate to get one of my crochet blankets finished today but it seems to be taking for ever. One and a bit rounds to go so I'm hopeful it will be done tonight.
    I do get a bit stir crazy for not getting out and about though - even though I've loved my crochet. Can't have it all though.
    So today I am very grateful for some down time and my crochet.
    NSTSeptember #32 NSD 8/18 RYSAW17 #1 £1313.42 20p Savers #88 £1 a day for Xmas # DFD 6 Nov 15 - paid £28,447
    • SkintTeacher
    • By SkintTeacher 1st May 17, 7:56 PM
    • 325 Posts
    • 1,880 Thanks
    SkintTeacher
    Very negative post earlier - sorry!
    Gratitudes:
    1) amazing bank holiday weekend with my boys
    2) a meal out at half price thanks to a wedding voucher
    3) rediscovered my love of dark chocolate
    • Lauralozzle
    • By Lauralozzle 1st May 17, 8:30 PM
    • 435 Posts
    • 4,065 Thanks
    Lauralozzle
    Today wasn't a NSD - ran out of milk. I cannot function without a cup of coffee in the morning so milk was needed!

I've been out in the garden and mowed the lawn, it needs another cut really as it was very long and it now looks like I've been at it with a hack-saw! If the weather is nice this weekend I'll go over it again. Tom has been sorting out the fruit patch today and put in some flower seeds from my grandmothers funeral into the flower bed.

I've made lunches for tomorrow, they are now in the fridge. I have a lovely ham, feta and couscous salad for lunch. I'm always better at eating well if I'm prepared.

I'm grateful for the bank holiday weekend and the day off today and the motivation to keep going.
    October grocery challenge £150.54/£200 | October cleaning budget £75.16/£75 | October NSD 7/15
    Credit Card: £220 (0%) | Car Finance: £8,240 (7.9% APR) | Mortgage: £111,684 (3.99% APR)
    Wedding Fund: £3,564.74
    • Eager_Elephant
    • By Eager_Elephant 1st May 17, 8:42 PM
    • 4,106 Posts
    • 22,118 Thanks
    Eager_Elephant
    Eager_Elephant a weekend away with the girls sounds fab, where are you off to?
    We are off to Butlins at Bognor for a 90's weekend - was fab last year, cant wait for this year!!

Today has been a spend day as needed to get my mum a birthday card and put money in it and also transferred money to my friend who has purchased one of my outfits for the girls holiday. Just about to go and buy the other outfit.....

Today I am grateful for:
    A bank holiday (DH had to work so I have just potted about and cooked a roast)
    A lovely neighbour/plot holder brought over his spare lettuce seedlings for me
    Starting to get the house ship-shape (I must deal with post as it comes in)
    Ninja Saving Turtle No. 33 for October
    NSD - 0/18
    (up to 01/10/17)
    My Diary is here - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2175629 (Eager Elephants Effective Everyday Excursion)
    • swimminginaseaofdebt
    • By swimminginaseaofdebt 1st May 17, 8:49 PM
    • 597 Posts
    • 3,195 Thanks
    swimminginaseaofdebt
    Evening everyone

Budget for the month has been set at £310 (not excluding fixed bills). Did a grocery shop for this week yesterday bringing my spending to £30.79 so far. May need to do a top up shop for snacks as my 10 month old has developed quite an appetite these last few weeks!

Nothing bought today so NSD 1. Will try for 16 though I failed miserably trying to reach my target of 12 last month.

Had a letter from my home insurance company stating they were increasing my payment to £35 a month at my renewal the end of this month. I live in a 1 bedroom flat so this seemed very excessive. Cancelled the contract and took out a new policy with Sainsbury. Paid £185 up front and I’ll get a £25 gift card plus double points for a year. Works out a good deal for me as it’s where I mainly shop and I get a lot of the little one’s clothes from here.

Cashed out on two survey sites today, £5.95 promptly paid off the credit card.

Walked around 5 miles today, the weather was good for it.

Today I am grateful for: my small local library which stocks the latest books, technology that allows me to take surveys in my free time and subsequently pay off my debt faster and good weather
    Last edited by swimminginaseaofdebt; 01-05-2017 at 8:54 PM.
    Pay all debt off by Christmas 2017 #150 - £1868.05/£3729.05
    SPC10 #564
    • mrshubbard
    • By mrshubbard 1st May 17, 8:58 PM
    • 175 Posts
    • 1,136 Thanks
    mrshubbard
    Today was a preplanned spendy date day. £33 spent on cinema & lunch out as in laws had little man for the day. Mooched round the shops but didn't buy anything. Resisted all the cinema snacks as we'd eaten and just got a drink to take in. We watched Guardians of the Galaxy and can totally recommend it - so funny

Forgot to do a May goal - I want to get the first half of the garden ready to use this month. We're getting stones for part of it next weekend. It's a previously neglected for years, very sloped garden with a stream through the middle so taking a bit of work to do. June's goal will be to do the back half and then hopefully can spend this Summer enjoying using it

Today I'm grateful for:-

1) Inlaws looking after bubs so we can have a date day and for tiring him out so he was fast asleep at 7
    2) Good drying weather today meaning I'm on top of the laundry pile for a change
    3) Hubby being handy at lots of stuff so he made £40 doing a bit of auto electrical work for a friend
    1 debt vs 100 days -£100/£1600
    Debtfree by Xmas17 #161 £100/£3286
    365 day penny challenge - £94.14/£667.95
    NST - 3/16 NSDs £140.16/£250 food 0/£60spends
    Debts - CC1-£4438.89 £4393.72 CC2-4560.38 £4160.38 CC3-£10,326£10,155.85 CC4 - £3286
    • Fmess
    • By Fmess 1st May 17, 9:46 PM
    • 2,536 Posts
    • 23,937 Thanks
    Fmess
    Sorry to hear that skintteacher

Spendy day today on lunch out but resisted the shopping centre

Today I am gratefully for:-

- sunshine to allow me to walk the dogs in the dry
    - my sister driving for our outing
    - only being stuck on the motorway for an hour on the way home (bad accident closed the road hope everyone involved was ok)
    LBM = 07/09/13 Debt = £13339 (100% cleared)
    New Roof Debt £1425/£8542
    SeptNST #? SFD 1/18 Food 101.16/120 Personal 160/200 Petrol 50/100
    • Jo Blogs
    • By Jo Blogs 2nd May 17, 1:24 AM
    • 751 Posts
    • 2,594 Thanks
    Jo Blogs
    Good morning everyone

Today will be NSD No.2 here today.

Wishing you all a great NSDay!
    Saved Nitty Gritty £7440.75 [149%] / £5000-[Sep] £58.44 for the 'Save 12k in 2017' #157
    2017 Womble #35 £3463.27 Sept NSDs 4/15CCCChl 9/12 months
    Sept PPChl#002 Pts 71
    • Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 2nd May 17, 5:07 PM
    • 844 Posts
    • 7,605 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    Today was a good day apart from a handful of crisps. Did spend on stocking up on things that were on a good deal but which we don't actually need now but will do - teabags, toothpaste etc. Nothing that has to be added to freezer - determined to keep to this week's meal plan. Made soup for tomorrow's dinner using leftovers. There will probably be enough left for Thursday's lunch. C is out tomorrow so hoping to get lots done in the house and a bit of batch cooking.
    • pippy1971
    • By pippy1971 2nd May 17, 5:35 PM
    • 144 Posts
    • 862 Thanks
    pippy1971
    Well, today was a spend day. My son has to have a special toothpaste as he has demineralisation, and whilst I was there I decided we needed new toothbrushes too. Also got deodorant x 2 (for son and husband), cat food and some 'slime' for my daughter!! Was conned out of that because she's been to the hospital today, and was cross because she was hoping to get new glasses (but didn't)...

On the exercise front, the running lead that I ordered to use when I go running with the dog arrived. If the rain stays away will give it a try this evening.

Have opened a new savings account to squirrel away my 'penny a day' savings from the other challenge I've signed up to.

Today I'm grateful that my daughters eyesight is stable, work was interesting and that I did so much housework yesterday that there is very little to do now I'm home from work

1 NSD this month
    Last edited by pippy1971; 02-05-2017 at 6:05 PM.
    NST June 2017: Jiggle Free June ..number 18
    The 365 day penny challenge £49.89
    1 debt vs 100 days challenge 26... #2
    • ChasingSunshine
    • By ChasingSunshine 2nd May 17, 6:42 PM
    • 100 Posts
    • 857 Thanks
    ChasingSunshine
    NSD here today, Otherwise not a lot happening, savings out and budgets set for the month. Have put quite a bit in a contingency pot as between a weekend away and meeting up with lots of friends from where I used to live will be very social this month. Add in the almost certainty of needing new glasses and am already looking forward to the end of the month. Trying to minimise the financial hit but won't be able to avoid it completely. Anything under the budgeted spends will go to building back up the emergency fund.

Today am grateful for 1) some lovely weather and a chance to get lots of washing done 2) a good hair day this morning (vain I know but as I have really odd curls so when am happy with how it looks it's notable!!) 3) confirming plans to meet friends on a work trip later in the month, its been much too long since we caught up.
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 2nd May 17, 7:13 PM
    • 3,352 Posts
    • 28,788 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Evening everyone
    Today I'm grateful for being snuggled up in my jammies already, the day flying over at work and ds footy training being rescheduled so I didn't have to go out again once I was home from work.
    I've bagged another nsd as well so that's happy news
    Nothing planned for the evening. Early night and tv and hopefully a good night's sleep.
    NSTSeptember #32 NSD 8/18 RYSAW17 #1 £1313.42 20p Savers #88 £1 a day for Xmas # DFD 6 Nov 15 - paid £28,447
    • abundant1972
    • By abundant1972 2nd May 17, 7:16 PM
    • 1,177 Posts
    • 8,598 Thanks
    abundant1972
    Evening all

Today I am grateful for:
    • Friends helping me to work whilst car is off the road
    • The chance to make a difference in people's lives
    • Laughs (again) at work!
    Today = NSD number 1

Day 2 in and feeling good. I am eating much more healthily and so glad I meal prepped. I might not be saying that by the end of the week, and my 5th night of chicken for dinner haha!

Day off exercise tonight, but will do some tomorrow. Have a quiet evening in planned. Hugs all x
    Repay Car : Phase 2 : £0/£500 by 13/09
    Follow your heart & be true to yourself always
    Help To Buy ISA = £4883.65. EF = £1500/£4500
    NST Nov : NSD=1/16 : Food £0/£100 : Spends £0/£100
    Spiritual Practice =0/31. Exercise Sessions 0/14.
    • x_raphael_xx
    • By x_raphael_xx 2nd May 17, 7:59 PM
    • 3,397 Posts
    • 17,069 Thanks
    x_raphael_xx
    NSDs - 02/20 - Another no spendy day.
    Pay to your savings first - Budget spreadsheet updated. Will wait til Friday (payday) and put £100 into savungs
    Go outside - Got home and took the pup out for a stroll in the sunny park. Pup got to make some new friends.Daily gratitudes - Quick tea and few dishes. Means I can get on an relax for the evening.
    Debt Free as of 17/01/2009 Turtle Power!!
    - NSD's - /20
    EF Challenger #36 £1000/£5050
    / Lose weight 22.2 / 30lbs
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 2nd May 17, 8:19 PM
    • 6,408 Posts
    • 46,760 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Today I am grateful for a good run, for a chat with a mum at brownies, for dd getting a 'golden ticket' to eat lunch with the head, for dh working the vouchers to get as many extra sainz points as poss, for the forecast rain not arriving, for a good day at work, for a chat with big sis, for a catch up with dh, for the sheer amount of greenery around the place, for a good book to read.

My s t r e t c h targets this month are not financial (sorry!) But instead to complete 100% of my moderation and marking this month, and to up May's bunny tally from 15 to 20.
    NST Organise October #10; NSD 12/20; Ex 6/20; craft 6/31 (212); remove 514
    2017 MFW#63 Pay off: £3229/£4050; 2
    017 sell 116

Mortgage £23,996 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295) MFWDate Dec 2018
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,474Posts Today

8,387Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I'm at the start of make up for the new character I'm doing today for my ITV show. Any guesses (no it's not Philip? https://t.co/uiuEPkGzId

• Thank you for covering the story - but also can i say - what a great name for the editor of Money Marketing! https://t.co/UcvQduTeJL

• Hurrah! The ASA's ruled against 2 fake Facebook ads using my image https://t.co/GvNrqDPOC5 tho Facebook still shows others

• Follow Martin