Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Aesop
    • By Aesop 25th Apr 17, 10:38 PM
    • 22,772Posts
    • 149,239Thanks
    Aesop
    Make 10 a day May 2017 - everybody most welcome
    • 25th Apr 17, 10:38 PM
    Make 10 a day May 2017 - everybody most welcome 25th Apr 17 at 10:38 PM
    Hello and welcome everybody

This is the 117th month of this challenge, which was first started by Batgirl, in September 2007.

Thanks to Batgirl for starting it, lynnejk, Rawdinosaur, Emmaglet, Nat21luv, Monkeynut, Sweetpeas, Purpleroses, JesaRose, MizMir for keeping the thread going.

I know this first post is long, but please read as it give tips on how this challenge works. Some of the content has changed

If you're new to the challenge don't be scared - here's how it works:

The aim of this challenge is to make 10 extra a day everyday for the month. A lot of people think this is impossible but it can and has been done, over and over. If you feel 10 is too much why not start at 5 or if you're brave join those who aim for 20 a day! Anything extra you make is great so set whatever target you think you can manage.

It also doesn't have to be 10 each and every day - some days you make more and some days you make less, but aim for 310 extra at the end of the month.

The idea is that everyone posts how they are making extra money and these shared ideas help all of us to learn new ways to help cut debt or earn/save money.

What cannot be added:
    Wages from your main job

What can be added:
    Overtime
    Income from a second job
    Daily clicks
    Interest
    Vouchers
    Mystery shopping
    And much, much more.

This board moves pretty quickly, so be sure to subscribe and read it regularly. Below are some ideas to get you started and a great place to read when you're in need of inspiration.

Sell your old books/DVDs/CDs/games here:
    Amazon.co.uk, play.com, webuybooks, zapper, CEX

Ebay - a place to sell anything and everything.

Gumtree, Preloved, cquot, ebid, craigslist, vivastreet, netmums.com, trade-it , Friday ad, priceminster - these are all places you can sell items too.

Survey sites - mysurvey and pinecone, prolific academic tend to be the best but there are many more it really depends on you finding the ones that work best for you - toluna, harris poll, valued opinions etc

also join Topcashback and Quidco - type in surveys in the search engine and some will pay you to join up with them.

Sealed Pot Challenge 2016 - basically you put your change into a jar over the year so in December you should have a nice pot of money to help

Mobile phone to recycle? try Martin's mobile recycling comparison site first to see where you may get the best deal!

Music Magpie - have cds/dvds you haven't been able to sell at carboots or online. Try your luck here. Is you do sell your albums/dvds be sure to go via quidco to get a few more pennies

etsy and folksy - If you enjoy making crafts why not have a go at selling them on etsy or folksy. They've been getting increasingly busier each year.

Collect Boots points while shopping online.

Don't forget to search for your online shop at nectar.com before you buy, and earn nectar points for buying online, including ebay.

Trying to find other ways to make money? Check out the Boost Your Income board. It is full of ideas, including survey companies and product testing.

Want to help someone else out? Sign up through their referral on the referral board, and leave yours, so someone else can do the same for you.

Keep reading for lots more ideas on how to make more money each month.

This month's challenge is to try and make 310 (or any amount of course!) lynnejk is assisting me and will create the challengers list and update it. She will also be answering any questions she can help with and here for general advice. Having been a challenger for a while, she knows her stuff Thank you lynnejk for your help.

Good luck everybody. Remember to post any questions or comments that you have, and let's go on encouraging each other throughout this month.
    Make 10 a day May 2017 125.48
    Pinecone vouchers earnt 2017 9; Swagbucks 2017 66 QMEE 2017 2.16 Prolific Academic 2017 5.72 Slidejoy 2017 5.48 OnePulse 2017 25.10
    Shop and Scan 2017 10 ConsumerPulse 2017 10
Page 3
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 2nd May 17, 10:24 AM
    • 3,628 Posts
    • 20,236 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    WELL DONE!!

and great news on carboot. you do so well. I hope your house is becoming a little less full, you are doing really well selling bits and bobs.

yes definitely include this, I would say 25 as that's how much mine costs but maybe see how much they charge?

I been winning a few prizes, 2 tickets to cricket, a game for DS' DS! a board game, waiting for it to arrive.

Love winning stuff.
    Originally posted by Aesop
    Thank you

Well done on your wins. I hope DS enjoys his game, it's lovely winning things that we can give to others isn't it? I love winning stuff too but have been very lax in entering competitions this year. Really must make more of an effort. The only ones I seem to have had any success with are raffles but I don't see many of them and can't afford to buy many tickets when I do see them. The one I won the hairdo on was just one ticket bought for 50p
    Make 10 A Day Challenge 2017. Jan-Apr: 1240.02. May: 380.96
    3-6 Months Emergency Fund Challenge #12: 1200.00/3000. This is such hard going but I will do it.

Original Debt: 56804 (@ LBM 02/13). Paid : 32316. Balance: 24488
    • Aesop
    • By Aesop 2nd May 17, 10:49 AM
    • 22,772 Posts
    • 149,239 Thanks
    Aesop
    Postal surveys
    #1 Postal Surveys

For free stamps or free gift cards,apply to one of these two postal survey companies and see if you can get onto the panel.

Unex

https://www.ipsos-unex.de/whati.asp

TNS Postal Survey

https://rmselfrecruit.research-int.com/Questionnaire/qstIntroductionPrivate.aspx

It involves receiving and sending letters. With TNS sometimes you have to send parcels and pay but they reimburse you with love2shop vouchers for this.

Worth signing up if you can for the free stamps.
    Pinecone vouchers earnt 2017 9; Swagbucks 2017 66 QMEE 2017 2.16 Prolific Academic 2017 5.72 Slidejoy 2017 5.48 OnePulse 2017 25.10
    • Aesop
    • By Aesop 2nd May 17, 10:49 AM
    • 22,772 Posts
    • 149,239 Thanks
    Aesop
    Thank you

Well done on your wins. I hope DS enjoys his game, it's lovely winning things that we can give to others isn't it? I love winning stuff too but have been very lax in entering competitions this year. Really must make more of an effort. The only ones I seem to have had any success with are raffles but I don't see many of them and can't afford to buy many tickets when I do see them. The one I won the hairdo on was just one ticket bought for 50p
    Originally posted by carbootcrazy
    Bargain haircut for 50p!!!
    • Aesop
    • By Aesop 2nd May 17, 10:51 AM
    • 22,772 Posts
    • 149,239 Thanks
    Aesop

Luckily we've a huge garden, 6 sheds (plenty of spaces to hide stuff) and a massive garage that we can now, at long last, actually squeeze a car into. We don't live like the people on those hoarding programmes on TV, at least the house is reasonably clutter-free (or at least out of sight out of mind)
    6 sheds! wow! how long does it take you to garden?

we need 1 decent shed as this current one is full of spiders, has no felt on the rooft and is way too small!

I need to win one.
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 2nd May 17, 11:07 AM
    • 3,628 Posts
    • 20,236 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    6 sheds! wow! how long does it take you to garden?

we need 1 decent shed as this current one is full of spiders, has no felt on the rooft and is way too small!

I need to win one.
    It's a huge garden (about half an acre) but not a tidy/organised garden at all. Remember, we live out in the countryside down a lane/very narrow road. In the days this house was built, long before our day, even the smallest of homes had lots of space around them.

It's a bugbear really, we need to keep the front tidy but most of our garden is at the back so not on view. We've lots of mature trees, including a clump of poplars which are about twice the height of the house now. We planted then as 2-foot high saplings when we first moved here. We also like to encourage wildlife so leave a lot of it to nature (that's our excuse and we're sticking to it). The actual 'lawn' at the back can be easily cut by OH in under an hour (and that's including traipsing back and forth emptying the lawnmower grassbox). He only has an old (like most of our equipment) normal petrol mower, not one of those sit-on ones.

As for the sheds, they've been added over the years and are pretty much out of sight behind trees/tall shrubs. All of them have had a lot of TLC over the years, such as new felt/roofs. They aren't all in a row or together like some sort of shanty town. OH couldn't believe the cost of new ones these days when he saw some at the garden centre, even small ones. He wasn't looking to buy another one by the way, he only went there for some compost. Good luck with winning one.

About 25 years ago OH and a friend built three of ours from a sports pavilion that a local cricket club (now long gone) was getting rid of. It was free to anyone who could dismantle and take it away, even then they were the only ones interested. Took months for the pair of them to recycle all that wood into 3 sheds but they've been worth their weight in gold over the years. We even had some wood left over to pass on to someone else. Waste not want not eh?
    Last edited by carbootcrazy; 02-05-2017 at 11:20 AM.
    3-6 Months Emergency Fund Challenge #12: 1200.00/3000. This is such hard going but I will do it.

• Aesop
    • By Aesop 2nd May 17, 11:57 AM
    • 22,772 Posts
    • 149,239 Thanks
    Aesop

About 25 years ago OH and a friend built three of ours from a sports pavilion that a local cricket club (now long gone) was getting rid of. It was free to anyone who could dismantle and take it away, even then they were the only ones interested. Took months for the pair of them to recycle all that wood into 3 sheds but they've been worth their weight in gold over the years. We even had some wood left over to pass on to someone else. Waste not want not eh?
    brilliant! you should apply for your recycling badge from Badger! That is recycling at its best!

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=68579046#post68579046
    • Aesop
    • By Aesop 2nd May 17, 12:26 PM
    • 22,772 Posts
    • 149,239 Thanks
    Aesop
    So I won 1.25 yesterday on a free daily lottery, waiting for it to goto my paypal.

Today I have completed some prolific academic surveys totalling 5.67 and already have 2 cleared. So when that clears will be withdrawing it.

I just completed a pinecone survey for 3. Waiting for that to be paid.

Nearly there to my 10 a day

Unfortunately this won't happen everyday but its a good start.

I also checked my tesco clubcard account as wanted to change my email and am looking to make 50 in clubcard vouchers to buy a Merlin pass.

Found a tesco voucher expiring at the end of this month luckily I was talking to customer service and they have renewed it for me so won't expire at the end of this month.

I am also going to download the https://www.payqwiq.com/ app and go and earn my 500 free clubcard points, equivalent of 20 if used in boost. It all adds up!

Anyone looking to buy a now tv box? buy it from Tesco for 500 clubcard points which can be converted in boost.

I am also running swagbucks apps in the background. I missed out on my daily bonus yesterday as fell asleep and tablet charger fell out and tablet switched off.

But it all helps. There is a current swagbucks challenge on too. A star wars themed one. If you are in the winning team you will get bonus swagbucks.
    • Aesop
    • By Aesop 2nd May 17, 12:30 PM
    • 22,772 Posts
    • 149,239 Thanks
    Aesop
    #2 Referral Board
    #2 Referral Board

I cannot stop talking about this board. I was on it earlier looking for the shopprize (android only app) thread and spotted a referral thread for something that I ALREADY do. It hadn't occurred to me to post my referral on there!

I know you may only get one, but one is one more than 0. Also if you are on social media like Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, don't forget to post your referrals there too. You will be surprised who signs up.

I know a few ladies who post their referrals in Facebook selling groups and they get quite a few people signing up and making them money!

so get your referrals out there!

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42
    • Aesop
    • By Aesop 2nd May 17, 1:51 PM
    • 22,772 Posts
    • 149,239 Thanks
    Aesop
    5 from onepulse
    2 from quidco
    46p from qmee
    5 swagbucks
    3 pinecone
    Last edited by Aesop; 02-05-2017 at 11:07 PM.
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 2nd May 17, 2:42 PM
    • 3,628 Posts
    • 20,236 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    #1 Postal Surveys

For free stamps or free gift cards,apply to one of these two postal survey companies and see if you can get onto the panel.

Unex

https://www.ipsos-unex.de/whati.asp

TNS Postal Survey

https://rmselfrecruit.research-int.com/Questionnaire/qstIntroductionPrivate.aspx

It involves receiving and sending letters. With TNS sometimes you have to send parcels and pay but they reimburse you with love2shop vouchers for this.

Worth signing up if you can for the free stamps.
    Thanks for this info, Aesop

I was kicked off the TNS panels (all their postal surveys) last year after one of my test letters split open in transit and TNS suspected my cover as a panellist may have been blown. All very cloak and dagger but I really miss the surveys and the stamps/vouchers that I used to get.

Edit: wonder whether it's worth trying to sign OH up for the TNS panels. Not sure if it's me personally or our address/postcode that has been barred. I'd be doing the surveys myself anyway and keeping the vouchers and stamps.

I still do the Quotas ones (German) but hadn't heard of Unex unless it's the same company by another name as they too are based in Hamburg. The page that your link took me to mentioned one of the rewards was Amazon but Amazon aren't shown on the list of reward options shown on the 'what do I get' page, just things I've no use for. Do you do work for Unex and do they offer Amazon as a reward option please?
    Last edited by carbootcrazy; 02-05-2017 at 2:51 PM.

• Aesop
    • By Aesop 2nd May 17, 2:57 PM
    • 22,772 Posts
    • 149,239 Thanks
    Aesop

I was kicked off the TNS panels (all their postal surveys) last year after one of my test letters split open in transit and TNS suspected my cover as a panellist may have been blown. All very cloak and dagger but I really miss the surveys and the stamps/vouchers that I used to get.

Edit: wonder whether it's worth trying to sign OH up for the TNS panels. Not sure if it's me personally or our address/postcode that has been barred. I'd be doing the surveys myself anyway and keeping the vouchers and stamps.

I still do the Quotas ones (German) but hadn't heard of Unex unless it's the same company by another name as they too are based in Hamburg. The page that your link took me to mentioned one of the rewards was Amazon but Amazon aren't shown on the list of reward options shown on the 'what do I get' page, just things I've no use for. Do you do work for Unex and do they offer Amazon as a reward option please?

I don't just reapplied. I did something different a few years ago with them. I got paid in love2 shop vouchers as that was the currency.

on the page with the picture it says some of the retailers so am sure amazon is on the list. you can use love2 shop vouchers to buy amazon gift cards I believe in supermarkets that accept them.
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 2nd May 17, 3:16 PM
    • 3,628 Posts
    • 20,236 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    I don't just reapplied. I did something different a few years ago with them. I got paid in love2 shop vouchers as that was the currency.

on the page with the picture it says some of the retailers so am sure amazon is on the list. you can use love2 shop vouchers to buy amazon gift cards I believe in supermarkets that accept them.
    Thanks

I'd rather have Love2shop vouchers really but it didn't look as if they were an option on the page I got. Amazon would have been the next best thing as I try to pay for my reading habit by only using vouchers and not 'real money' when I buy books on Amazon

• Lau0707
    • By Lau0707 2nd May 17, 4:05 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 236 Thanks
    Lau0707
    I have 4 items ending on eBay tonight, so far they're all up for 145, pray for me!! I really need the extra cash for our poor looking savings for our family holiday in 10 days lol xxx
    Focusing on Student Overdraft: April- 1297 ended on 1239. / May- 1239 ended on.....
    • Aesop
    • By Aesop 2nd May 17, 7:37 PM
    • 22,772 Posts
    • 149,239 Thanks
    Aesop
    I have 4 items ending on eBay tonight, so far they're all up for 145, pray for me!! I really need the extra cash for our poor looking savings for our family holiday in 10 days lol xxx
    Originally posted by Lau0707
    ooh fingers crossed. come on bidders. go mad, overbid and pay up tonight so they can have a lovely holiday xx
    • Aesop
    • By Aesop 2nd May 17, 9:51 PM
    • 22,772 Posts
    • 149,239 Thanks
    Aesop
    Come on peeps. 2nd May, we need to see more posts of how you have earnt money, share your ideas with others, bounce ideas of each other

I know I have been very naughty and missing in action for months but am trying to be here a bit more.

Welcome to all the new challengers to this thread. You will get used to us and love making that extra money.

Does anyone want any help with any particular thing? With survey sites, I would say it's down to personal choice. I like short surveys and won't sit for hours for little pay on a survey. But I prefer some sites over others and I know others prefer sites I don't like. It's a case of trying one or two, see how you get on, and if they don't fit, try some more.

Just don't sign up for thousands and then struggle to earn anything on all of them.
    • Lau0707
    • By Lau0707 2nd May 17, 9:58 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 236 Thanks
    Lau0707
    Round one of eBay has gone for 220 today xx
    Focusing on Student Overdraft: April- 1297 ended on 1239. / May- 1239 ended on.....
    • Aesop
    • By Aesop 2nd May 17, 10:27 PM
    • 22,772 Posts
    • 149,239 Thanks
    Aesop
    Round one of eBay has gone for 220 today xx
    Originally posted by Lau0707
    brilliant
    • Kantankrus Mare
    • By Kantankrus Mare 2nd May 17, 11:19 PM
    • 4,549 Posts
    • 9,562 Thanks
    Kantankrus Mare
    Cashed out 5 to paypal for my second payout on Onepulse.

Also had a pretty good day at work for tips....11.20
    Make 10 a day challenge Jan/215.84/ Feb 146.45/ Mar 192.55/Apr 171.20/ May 156.40
    Walk 2000 miles in 2017....781.35 miles
    • Hermia
    • By Hermia 2nd May 17, 11:40 PM
    • 3,994 Posts
    • 10,360 Thanks
    Hermia
    Can I join? I will say 5 a day as I am not sure what is possible. I am waiting for some Ziffit/We Buy Books parcels to be accepted.

I got kicked off also. They sent me this strange email claiming they had spoken to my postman or something. It was odd.
    • FatVonD
    • By FatVonD 3rd May 17, 1:27 AM
    • 4,364 Posts
    • 15,936 Thanks
    FatVonD
    We're both retired )
    If I had to guess your age from your posts I'd have said you were about 30 (maybe you are and retired early on the proceeds of all those boot sales )
    Spend on clothes in 2017 58.50
    Make 5 a day in May 92.28/155 (April 236.24, March 106.74, Feb 40.99, Jan 98.54)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,466Posts Today

8,977Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Ugh another one trying it! Beware https://t.co/Ab9fCRA76F

• Follow Martin