Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 7th Apr 17, 1:13 PM
    • 423Posts
    • 3,485Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Second time lucky... debt free diary.
    • 7th Apr 17, 1:13 PM
    Second time lucky... debt free diary. 7th Apr 17 at 1:13 PM
    Good afternoon all. As title says, this is my second time here. I started a few years ago, debt started to go down. Then DH was made redundant! He refused to sign on and we lived from the credit cards (think he was suffering depression). I have major mental health issues but went back to work almost 2 years ago but we were scraping by while dh tried self employed (something I desperately didn't want him to do).

In February he started a part time, temp job but has been working full time hours and looks like he could be staying at least for now.

I've been off work for a month as I have something growing on my ear drum, vertigo is now under control, still waiting for hospital appointment but...

From Friday we should have 2 full time wages coming in!!

Cards have been removedso we cant rely on them and ive got my lists ready. I'm dreading posting this but here goes...

Loan: £414 last payment this month!
    CC1: £830 min payment £25 on 5% for life rate
    CC2: £6987 0% till Jan 18
    CC3: £3185 0% till june 17
    CC4: £9035 0% till july 17 on 830 the rest 0%till sep 17
    CC5: £8816 think it's 0% for 18 months

Total: £29267

We have also had a sofa. payments don't start until its delivered. Ours had collapsed and we are currently on beanbags. We have had a nice one to hopefully last. The payments on that are £90 a month 0% for 4 years. so im going to add the £4287 (I think the insurance cost more than 1 chair) to the starting total.

Total: £33554

I don't know how long it'll take to be debt free but my aim for now is just seeing it go down not up. Thank you for reading if you've made it all the way to the end.
Page 2
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 22nd Apr 17, 10:43 PM
    • 423 Posts
    • 3,485 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Just a quick post to say today was a NSD. Need to do the shopping for back to school to tomorrow.

Not much else today. I keep checking bank but nothings due out yet to update totals. Did have CC statement and DD will come out this month so thats an extra £120 paid that i wasn't planning, will take payments this month to about £1000 by the endofthe month.

Shopping finally arrived at 9.30 last night. Was due between 5and 7, arrived at 7,30, was puttig it away to find half was missing. Rang them and driver was there, said he had it still on the van but couldn't deliver it untlafter he had finished. Good job i wasn't going aywhere.
    Last edited by charlies tribe; 22-04-2017 at 10:47 PM.
    LBM-March 17 £2861/£33554 (8.5%) paid
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 23rd Apr 17, 10:22 PM
    • 423 Posts
    • 3,485 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Shopping came to £118 today, had to buy virtually everything. Also bought extra wash powder and softner while it was on offer as don't like using different ones on the little ones.

Also spent £8 on a test for dd, i'm convinced shes dyslexic and school wont even think about it. The test said she probably is so going into school with that tomorrow, I don't think they'll even look at it but can only try. Probably £8 I could have saved but watching the stress every spelling test causes I just wanted to see.

Still need to get uniform bits tomorrow and will need Dinner money for 2 of the children. So no NSD for me tomorrow
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 24th Apr 17, 1:40 PM
    • 423 Posts
    • 3,485 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Already been a spend day today. £3.96 on 4 poster pictures on offer from @ldi. Hoping to frame them for grandparents for Christmas if they're ok.
    £15 for d's on some special needs chew things. Hoping in the long run we might save money if it stops him chewing absolutely everything, costing us a fortune in clothes and coats.
    £10 for dd3 dinner money.
    £2 for dd1 dinner money.

Spent the morning doing maths and English with ds (11 and homeschooled), he's now reading so better do some cleaning. Off to swimming later, will call and see if I can get the school bits needed on the way, rest of week should then be no spend, I hope.
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 30th Apr 17, 1:33 PM
    • 423 Posts
    • 3,485 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Its been a few days since I posted and I've done a bit of spending. a top up food shop, £30 on dog food, £155 on some more DIY things and new bedding as our new bed is bigger.

I've checked the accounts today, ready for the 1st of month. I've topped up the children's account and transferred any extra into the house account ready for a new fridge and all the garden work that needs doing.
    There's still £200 in the food account! That's a first. I've done a shop for tomorrow, its about £100

I've been back at work 2 days and walked the 2 miles on Friday to save bus fare, after being off sick 2 months, and not leaving the house in that time, it wasn't the best idea so had to pay for bus yesterday. Cant believe how tired being back is making me, even on the shorter shifts.

Cant wait to check all account totals in the morning to do an updated signature, think I've almost paid off 3% this month. Need to try and log in every evening with spends, if its written down for everyone to see I'm hoping I wont spend as much. Also changed what goes into which account now the loan has finished.

Need to sort car insurance renewal this week!!
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 30th Apr 17, 1:54 PM
    • 423 Posts
    • 3,485 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    I've just done a quick calculation, don't think it'll change by the morning as it's a bank holiday, and debt should have reduced by £871 pound in month 1, at least it's going in the right direction.

I'm going to use money from the home account to pay the car insurance outright and them start a new account for a monthly amount for next year.
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 30th Apr 17, 10:07 PM
    • 423 Posts
    • 3,485 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Just logged in to say how proud of myself I am tonight! I'm absolutely exhausted and really struggling since going back to work. I've laid on sofa all day and done pretty much nothing (the tablets I'm on make the tiredness worse)... I picked up the laptop and signed In to order takeaway!.... Put down the laptop and went and peeled some of the dying potatoes(some were really squidgy and wrinkly) and made chips and chicken pops for the kids, we had frozen tikka. That wouldn't hae happened a few weeks ago!

Done a few insurance comparisons and looks like we can drop the renewal from £950 to £550 for the year and £48 cashback too. Need to talk to dh and get it sorted.
    • rjwr
    • By rjwr 30th Apr 17, 10:12 PM
    • 279 Posts
    • 184 Thanks
    rjwr
    thats a super reduction in premium
    But never spend money you don't have to buy things you don't want to impress people you don't like.
    Originally posted by kidmugsy
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 30th Apr 17, 10:19 PM
    • 423 Posts
    • 3,485 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Thanks for dropping by rjwr, I think some of the drop is due to me realising he was still insured as self employed and the car being used for business use, it isn't needed anymore and I'd never even thought about it until doing renewal. It's still quiet high due to a big car and only having a couple of years no claims (we had a mini van before so needed van insurance not car).
    • armchairexpert
    • By armchairexpert 1st May 17, 4:33 AM
    • 594 Posts
    • 3,816 Thanks
    armchairexpert
    You're doing so well, Charlie, and it's an uphill battle when you have a large family, additional needs and a DH with insecure income. Don't forget to stop and tell yourself that you're doing a great job, in case nobody else does.
    MFW diary here. 1 Feb 2017 $229,371 - MFD Feb 2043 aiming for May 2028
    14 August 2017 - Refinanced: $220,000
    September 2017 - $218,597.77
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 1st May 17, 11:05 PM
    • 423 Posts
    • 3,485 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Thank you for posting armchair expert and for the lovely words. I know it sometimes seems like im talking to myself so it's good to know people are reading, and hopefully it'll keep me on track.

It's been a long long day. I was awake before 7 but didn't want to get up until dh got in, then shopping came about half 8,put that away, quick coffee, showered and dressed.Had to get the girls up ready for swimming and i went to work while they went to lessons with nanna (£6 bus fare). Finished at half 4 and walked the 2 miles home...without any of the yummy cakes i had been watching going through the tills!

Ive been desperate to log into accounts but had to sort tea and showers.

So i can sort it now and my updates after the first month are...
    Loan: £414.......0!
    CC1: £830 ....... 805
    CC2: £6987 ...... 6887
    CC3: £3185 .......3185
    CC4: £9035 ....... 8831
    CC5: £8816 ....... 8688
    SCS:£4287........4287
    Total:£33554.....32683=871 (2.5% paid only £1.50 off 2.6 grr. 25 squares off my first 100 square for first 10%)
    Last edited by charlies tribe; 01-05-2017 at 11:09 PM.
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 2nd May 17, 1:34 PM
    • 423 Posts
    • 3,485 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Heard lots about tax credits today so just logged in to my account to check. Ours hasn't been deducted.. we've had a huge payment go in! Enough for a good fridge/freezer or a chunk to the new boiler (realised last year we would have been entitled to the free boiler) or to pay off CC1 and just keep saving for the other things, but until I know why, I'm not touching it!

Mortgage gone out and also CC3 DD.

CC3 0% runs out I think, 6th June, I've had a letter today with a 0% transfer rate to CC4, there's just enough left on there to cover CC3 and will leave CC3 empty for hopefully a 0% for when the next one runs out in July.

DH has been asked to work tonight so should be no more spending (dinner monies this morning) as I'm hoping to walk to work but just fell over the dog on the garden and my knee is hurting, hopefully it'll be fine by then.
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 2nd May 17, 1:41 PM
    • 423 Posts
    • 3,485 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    I've just been looking at amounts from my first post, and if I do the transfer from CC3 by the end of this month (need to find the card) and then all overpayments to CC4, the £800 that 0% ends in July should have gone, until the next one in September.
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 3rd May 17, 10:53 PM
    • 423 Posts
    • 3,485 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Today has been the first NSD of May.
    I part walked home from work, had to take a detour to collect DS and my brothers girlfriend was there so gave me a lift home, saving bus fare for the 2 of us as my leg was killing after my fall yesterday.
    We are both off tomorrow so hoping to start sorting through all the junk, there might be something to sell in there (although the last lot is still ha no interest).
    spends so far this month are £105 grocery shop (includes £10 cat food and £10 nappies)and £25 dinner money for the kiddos.
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 4th May 17, 9:24 PM
    • 423 Posts
    • 3,485 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Not much to write today. We have both been off but DH had finished nights at 7 this morning so been to tired to do much, think we would have managed more if he had gone to bed for a few hours and my ankle is still hurting so resting as much as possible. So still a house of junk to sort.

DH did fetch some beer, but after doing 7 nights I didn't mind too much. He bought chocolate(for me) too, spent £6.50. Will be a higher spend tomorrow. I'm at work most of the day, but need a top up shop and I think I'll need a prescription after the doctors.

Dh did ask about takeaway for tea, but we had pasta bake instead, we hadn't had takeaways for years, cant believe how dependant we had become on them in the last couple of months of us both working. Need to get a stock of frozen ready meals I think.
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 5th May 17, 7:18 PM
    • 423 Posts
    • 3,485 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Good evening.
    Been at work today.Got a top up shop of £11, bread milk and nappies (we seem to be going through a massive amount of nappies latey) and £53 on summer clothes for the little 3, 2 dresses, 3 t-shirts, 2 shorts, a cap and school socks, so not too bad.

I've then switch internet, £34 a month with virus protection for 15 devices and an unlimited SIM for dh. £210 in vouchers as long as I remember to claim them and £85 cashback. We were paying £48.

Also done car insurance at £570 (added full breakdown cover) and should be £48 cashback but it hasn't yet tracked, hoping it does. Will start putting £50 away to cover next years.

So not a bad day overall and dh is making lasagne too.
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 7th May 17, 12:07 AM
    • 423 Posts
    • 3,485 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Another NSD today. Have just done an order for tomorrow bt will put that as tomorrows spending when it arrives and I have an exact amount.

Was pay day yesterday and it's not great, but I knew it wouldn't be as was a full month sick pay. This month wont be much better as only worked 6 hour shifts since going back but it's still causing major headaches so cutting down to just 4 hour shifts for the next week, so glad that I can though and not have to stay off sick.

Little ones asked today if they could go on holiday on an aeroplane, they've never been on a plane. We spoke to them about money and saving and we've decided that anything that is sold will go into a holiday fund to go on an aeroplane. I don't want the kids to suffer because of our silly mistakes. Said we'll have a look around and find out what prices will be and the best/cheapest way too book (we've only ever been with family, over 12 years ago). The youngest is almost 8 and they are so excited they might actually get to go on a plane (i'm petrified at the idea, although by next summer, at the earliest, they would be between 9 and 17 so I'm not sure why i'm scared to take them).

Right, better go to bed its been a long day.
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 7th May 17, 12:48 PM
    • 423 Posts
    • 3,485 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Good morning.
    The shopping came to £64, opened the fridge to put it away and it was warm inside. Plugged in the camping fridge for juice, milk, yoghurts and as much else as I could, everything else has been crammed into the big freezer, all the fresh meat has gone in too, now it's remembering to take them out each evening. It is driving me insane having to empty it every 2 weeks so I'm going to order a new one. There's £888 in the home/emergency account, DH still insistent on an American style one so I've compromised with the cheapest at £650, it's got £50 cashback at the minute and will go through cashback (about £17). The savings on electric will probably be huge.

Weather is nice so got the washers going to make use of drying outside so don't need to use the dryer.

Not much else money wise with it being the weekend.
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 8th May 17, 2:21 PM
    • 423 Posts
    • 3,485 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Been a whole month since my first post and still managing to update, suppose that's a good thing.

Not much to say today but want to keep up the habit of posting. CC payment has gone out, ordered the little 2 a mermaid swimming costume so they owe me £15 each (they didn't need it so said they had to buy it themselves). Will have to grab something quick for tea, i'm just off to work, eldest is collecting the little ones and will make them sandwiches, hopefully DH has set his alarm for 5 (he was on nights) for the little ones swimming lessons and once they come out he'll have to wait to collect me at 8.15 to be back at work himself for 10. So not much time for food, thinking pizza or hotdogs.

Right better go get ready, going to save the bus fare and walk again.
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 9th May 17, 11:00 AM
    • 423 Posts
    • 3,485 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Good morning. Just checked the bank, nothing new to add. Spent last night in bed, as I was freezing, reading through more diaries on here, you lot are all doing amazing, I cant wait to see my debt total coming down too.
    Yesterdays shopping came to about £21, £17.20 on prescription and £3.70 on hot dogs, rolls and sweets for DD trip today. Also paid £18 for a home ed trip on Thursday.

Hoping for a NSD today. Tomorrow wont be though as need dog food, sack of potatoes, fill up the car and maybe lunch things for a trip to the butterfly farm on Thursday as it's supposed to be nice we might have a picnic.

Walk to work and back yesterday, first time my fitbit has reached 13000 steps... ever! It's falling apart though and i'm not sure I can justify another at the moment but once I've been to the hospital I really want to get on with the running (i'm so unfit at the moment).

Not at work until 8 so suppose I should start on some cleaning (it looks like there has been an explosion, there's just 'stuff' everywhere).
    Last edited by charlies tribe; 09-05-2017 at 11:06 AM.
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 12th May 17, 10:15 PM
    • 423 Posts
    • 3,485 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Arrggghhh! So annoyed with myself. DH has been off and we have had a couple of spend days, it's not the spending so much that i'm upset about but that I haven't kept track of what it's been spent on and how much. A lot of it could have been avoided but we have had a lovely few days and ds loved the trip.
    I know Wednesday was on shopping for our trip and electric toothbrushes reduced to £17.50ithink it was £50 something, with 2 of the toothbrushes, wasn't bad really (seems to have made a huge difference already) and sack of dog food, £29.
    Thursday was our trip out, we only bought 2 ice creams, a plastic car and a magnet, we then spoilt it with chippy tea as we were late home and dh had some cans from the shop.
    today has been a sack of potatoes and £44 at mr T, 3 DVD'S (we don't go out or have date nights or anything so the dvd's will be for our rare evening together, some more nappies (I probably should explain the amount of nappies, ds is 11 and only fits in the largest size pj pants, £8.50 for 18 nappies, that he can go through in 3 days) milk and a pair of joggers for ds.
    I'm sure there are other things in the last few days but I just cant remember.

I need to do an order for sunday, but tomorrow should be a NSD as we are both working all weekend.

Ive been checking the bank daily and nothing has changed for the last few days, cant believe it's still 20 days until I can update my signature again.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,130Posts Today

8,397Users online

Martin's Twitter