Please note: The Auto-enrolment sub-board is now closed. If you have a question around pensions, please post in the Pensions, Annuities and Retirement Planning board.

Pension return

dumpyboy
dumpyboy Posts: 379 Forumite
edited 8 February 2017 at 10:28PM in Auto-enrolment
Today had a letter to say I am auto enrolled , at 1 per cent and them 1 percent , in the letter it says I pay £ 189 per year ,with 16 years left to work what sort of pension would I get,I think next to nothing, it says I have 3 months from this letter dated 2/2/2017 to opt out for the year

Comments

• xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,341 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Why would you opt out and lose tax relief and the employer's contribution?

https://www.gov.uk/workplace-pensions/what-you-your-employer-and-the-government-pay

The contributions will gradually increase.

And have you obtained a new state pension forecast?

https://www.gov.uk/check-state-pension
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,937 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If the £189 figure is the amount you will pay after tax relief, I estimate that you will get a pension of about £500 per year, perhaps a bit more if your salary increases regularly.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • dumpyboy
    xylophone wrote: »
    Why would you opt out and lose tax relief and the employer's contribution?

https://www.gov.uk/workplace-pensions/what-you-your-employer-and-the-government-pay

The contributions will gradually increase.

And have you obtained a new state pension forecast?

https://www.gov.uk/check-state-pension

Yes have got about 3 more years and get full single teir pension , I do not think I will opt out just wondered what I get and if it was going to be worth it
  • dumpyboy
    tacpot12 wrote: »
    If the £189 figure is the amount you will pay after tax relief, I estimate that you will get a pension of about £500 per year, perhaps a bit more if your salary increases regularly.

It just say in letter based on last years earnings in the region of 189 deducted from wages and then a further 189 added my employer . I asked as as I pay 150 per month in private pension and the forecast is £3250 a year after 20000 a year thanks
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    dumpyboy wrote: »
    It just say in letter based on last years earnings in the region of 189 deducted from wages and then a further 189 added my employer . I asked as as I pay 150 per month in private pension and the forecast is £3250 a year after 20000 a year thanks

It doesn't take a brain surgeon to understand that £189 from you plus £189 from employer beats £150 from you and zero from employer. No reason you can't continue the £150 into your separate scheme in addition but if you can only do one, the employers scheme doubles your contribution so you'd be barking to turn it down,
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,309 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    If you pay in peanuts, you get back peanuts. However, it is still worth getting the free peanuts from the employer.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • dumpyboy
    dunstonh wrote: »
    If you pay in peanuts, you get back peanuts. However, it is still worth getting the free peanuts from the employer.

I did not consider paying 150 pound a month to be peanuts just thought 3250 a year was not much so what on earth would I get for 189 x 2 a year would be
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I did not consider paying 150 pound a month to be peanuts just thought 3250 a year was not much so what on earth would I get for 189 x 2 a year would be

I save 18% into mine. I'm 43.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,309 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker

£150 is good for a 20 year old. Its not good for someone who is 35+. You say you have 16 years to work. So, that would likely put you in your 50s. So, its very poor for someone in their 50s.

It was you that was suggesting that you would get next to nothing on that amount. £189 a year is not a lot but it is free money.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • dumpyboy
    dunstonh wrote: »
    £150 is good for a 20 year old. Its not good for someone who is 35+. You say you have 16 years to work. So, that would likely put you in your 50s. So, its very poor for someone in their 50s.

It was you that was suggesting that you would get next to nothing on that amount. £189 a year is not a lot but it is free money.

I have paid the private pension since I was 18 so 31 years, over a 100 to 150 for 18 years, had a forecast for for 20000 plus 3250 year was stunned by the small amount then he told me the workplace pension would be better, just could not see that I am going to get a lot out of it
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure