Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Harryp_24
    • By Harryp_24 6th Feb 17, 7:56 PM
    • 163Posts
    • 201Thanks
    Harryp_24
    Instruct solicitor or wait?
    • #1
    • 6th Feb 17, 7:56 PM
    Instruct solicitor or wait? 6th Feb 17 at 7:56 PM
    How long was everyone's timeline from Their mortgage app to mortgage offer?

    Deciding whether to wait until i have a mortgage offer before instructing solicitors to start searches or pay £350 upfront to start them?
Page 1
    • kinger101
    • By kinger101 6th Feb 17, 8:00 PM
    • 3,887 Posts
    • 5,307 Thanks
    kinger101
    • #2
    • 6th Feb 17, 8:00 PM
    • #2
    • 6th Feb 17, 8:00 PM
    Is the chain complete? If not, you've started too soon. Otherwise, if I thought my mortgage would be straightforward, I'd probably instruct searches early on (but delay survey....I got mine separate from bank's valuation).
    • ashp
    • By ashp 6th Feb 17, 8:56 PM
    • 403 Posts
    • 133 Thanks
    ashp
    • #3
    • 6th Feb 17, 8:56 PM
    • #3
    • 6th Feb 17, 8:56 PM
    We instructed our solicitors a few days before we put the full mortgage application in. Obviously slightly risky but it worked out for us and we had our mortgage offer in 7 days. The solicitor upfront fee was £400.
    The people we are buying off are desperate to move and I wanted to be a step ahead of any other potential buyers.
    • Harryp_24
    • By Harryp_24 6th Feb 17, 9:03 PM
    • 163 Posts
    • 201 Thanks
    Harryp_24
    • #4
    • 6th Feb 17, 9:03 PM
    • #4
    • 6th Feb 17, 9:03 PM
    Can't quote on phone for some reason, yes chain is complete it is me Ftb - woman moving 3 doors down to bungalow - vacant bungalow. I'm having a home buyers report done with nationwide when they do the valuation, my mortgage app went in on Thursday last week and was accepted in principle.
    • Mrs36
    • By Mrs36 6th Feb 17, 9:14 PM
    • 110 Posts
    • 203 Thanks
    Mrs36
    • #5
    • 6th Feb 17, 9:14 PM
    • #5
    • 6th Feb 17, 9:14 PM
    Our mortgage was 10 working days from app to offer. We instructed solicitors but asked them to wait to start searches until we had our mortgage offer, is this an option for you?
    • Hoploz
    • By Hoploz 6th Feb 17, 10:00 PM
    • 3,529 Posts
    • 3,119 Thanks
    Hoploz
    • #6
    • 6th Feb 17, 10:00 PM
    • #6
    • 6th Feb 17, 10:00 PM
    What you do is you find and instruct a solicitor. They will ask for the upfront fees for the searches. They will apply for the searches when you instruct them to do so. If you ask them to wait then they will, and you won't incur any legal charges.
    • Archergirl
    • By Archergirl 8th Feb 17, 4:27 PM
    • 1,050 Posts
    • 565 Thanks
    Archergirl
    • #7
    • 8th Feb 17, 4:27 PM
    • #7
    • 8th Feb 17, 4:27 PM
    Why solicitors? I thought conveyancers could do it all cheaper, or am I mistaken?
    • Yazmina
    • By Yazmina 20th May 17, 12:05 AM
    • 106 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    Yazmina
    • #8
    • 20th May 17, 12:05 AM
    • #8
    • 20th May 17, 12:05 AM
    We instructed our solicitors a few days before we put the full mortgage application in. Obviously slightly risky but it worked out for us and we had our mortgage offer in 7 days. The solicitor upfront fee was £400.
    The people we are buying off are desperate to move and I wanted to be a step ahead of any other potential buyers.
    Originally posted by ashp
    Thought I'd use this thread rather than start a new one. Our position is
    1. Accepted offer on flat three weeks ago.
    2. Buyer has apparently paid for valuation but no date for it yet. EA says bank is causing the delay.
    3. Saw house we like last week. Had offer accepted. Apparently vendor's purchase doesn't depend on sale.
    4. Got AIP via broker last week. Hubby has to provide bank statements, then we need to decide on home buyer's or full structural survey then mortgage app good to go.
    5. Was just about to return form to solicitor when I saw the message above.

    Should I wait for our mortgage app to go through before returning the solicitor's forms?
    Should I wait for the buyer's valuation first?

    Thanks.
    • jlaw4
    • By jlaw4 20th May 17, 12:04 PM
    • 95 Posts
    • 56 Thanks
    jlaw4
    • #9
    • 20th May 17, 12:04 PM
    • #9
    • 20th May 17, 12:04 PM
    I paid the fee upfront then asked them to wait... put in full mortgage app but soon realised it was delayed so started searches to claw back some time that the mortgage has cost us and also had an independent survey done weeks ago.
    The local search still isn't back and its into its 4th week on Monday, and as we have been chosen to be audited by head office the mortgage is taking longer but all in all because i did the searches at the start of it, its saved us weeks. all dependant on how sure you are that there is nothing too complicated with the mortgage really!
    • hounsehunterftb
    • By hounsehunterftb 20th May 17, 12:59 PM
    • 94 Posts
    • 98 Thanks
    hounsehunterftb
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4711931&page=332

    Refer this thread. Should be useful for what you looking for.

    During my mortgage application, I used to be glued to that thread.. And it helps as people are going through the same anxiety as you do. All the best!
    Completed!! PROUD homeowner from now on!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

117Posts Today

2,598Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

  • Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

  • RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

  • Follow Martin