Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Kittencat
    • By Kittencat 5th Feb 17, 2:51 PM
    • 631Posts
    • 3,966Thanks
    Kittencat
    Village life
    • 5th Feb 17, 2:51 PM
    Village life 5th Feb 17 at 2:51 PM
    I feel I need a diary!

We have had a difficult 6 months but that will change as you will read below.

Short story - We sold our house 6 months ago and bought an older house in a small village on the outskirts of the town. The house needed work, but not as much as we thought. We were told by our builders that it would take 3 months and 6 months later we are still living with my parents in a very small house.

We = Husband, myself and little girl.

Builder has told us it will be another 6 weeks, we are OK with this as it's realistic and he has been fobbing us of far too long now.

As much as I really appriciate my mum and dad putting us up, rent free, it is really hard. We are in one bedroom, us on a sofa bed and little one on her mattress on the floor beside us. I do feel I have to bite my tongue a lot of the time. I really need my space and own home back now. Everything has been on hold for far too long.

I was going to start a diary when we move but I feel the need to do it now.
    All our belongings are in storage, if we had known we would still be with my parents 6 months on then we would have found somewhere to rent. We really miss our family time together, just the 3 of us!

I need to stop moaning and get on with it. Our life is a good one, we are a happy family and very close.

Money was really good before we bought the old house (have you seen the film 'Money Pit'?). We have the money for the refirbishment £31,000. All our savings and £12,000 Loan from family member. We also have a £25,000 Tesco loan on 3% apr over 7 years which was instead of increasing our mortgage. We have never had big debt before and it scares me if I'm honest. We have good money coming in but I feel we can't do anything until we are in our own home.

More later........ need a cup of tea.
    Last edited by Kittencat; 05-02-2017 at 2:53 PM.
Page 2
    • Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 12th Feb 17, 10:26 PM
    • 10,467 Posts
    • 69,397 Thanks
    Bobarella
    Was the roast good? I find it one of those meals that you can come away feeling that your own roast is better (& cheaper) in the pub I worked at for a few weeks at the end of last year, the trade on Sunday was phenomenal. The money they must have made! And yet so much cheaper and easier to eat a family roast at home. Anyway forgive my ponderings
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe"

Debt neutral 27/03/17 from £40k in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
    • Kittencat
    • By Kittencat 13th Feb 17, 7:05 AM
    • 631 Posts
    • 3,966 Thanks
    Kittencat
    Hi Bob

It was OK. In all honesty, my MIL can't cook! It's a family joke but she really can't! I love MY home roast dinner mind and your right it's so much cheaper.

Monday today, last week in school before half term. I hope little one doesn't have an episode at the school doors today.

Catch up later guys
    May 2017 ..... debt was £37,000..
    June 17' - we now owe £34,500.
    • Kittencat
    • By Kittencat 20th Feb 17, 8:07 AM
    • 631 Posts
    • 3,966 Thanks
    Kittencat
    My last NSD was last Thursday and I have been awful with little spending ever since!

It's now half term and pay day is Thursday. I'm off work this week with little one so lots of walks and parks I think.

I've been lucky that I belong to a local group and we have participated in #randomactsofkindness week. I won £20 pizza hut voucher, homemade fudge, children's craft book and a little hamper of goodies (I re-gifted this one as some people didn't win anything). Also I've been picked by a super savvy website to try some washing powder. I was surprised when it arrived, there is loads in there. Little samples will go to family to try but there is still loads for us.

News on the house front is DH had a heated conversation with builder! Work is still slow!! I want my own house back.
    • Kittencat
    • By Kittencat 20th Feb 17, 8:04 PM
    • 631 Posts
    • 3,966 Thanks
    Kittencat
    So went up the house today, builder was there working hard. Looks like we WILL be in end of March!! Then VILLAGE LIFE can begin.

Went for a lovely walk in the local country park it was lovely, just DH, me and DD. Had cake and tea in cafe after. DH then realised he had £50 in his wallet so gave me £30 so money is OK now until payday on Thursday. Tomorrow's weather looks awful so myself and little one is going to our nearest City (40 min's away) to Ikea for a look around and meatballs for lunch, don't plan on buying anything except meatballs.

See ya soon xx
    • Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 21st Feb 17, 12:01 AM
    • 10,467 Posts
    • 69,397 Thanks
    Bobarella
    Wow, how lovely on your wins

• Kittencat
    • By Kittencat 22nd Feb 17, 2:44 PM
    • 631 Posts
    • 3,966 Thanks
    Kittencat
    Oh poo gone into overdraft today, pay day tomorrow. Not going to move any savings its it's only over by £25, on a good note though we managed to save £1000 this month. That's with DH overtime included. All this savings is for the house and so we don't have to borrow so much from relative.
    Today I have been looking after my nephew (11) my little girl idolises him and he has always been really good with her. We have been to the local nature reserve and walked in the fog for ages. Saw loads of wildlife. Then drink and cake in the cafe and watched them both playing with the chalk board etc it took me back to the time I was off when little one was small, it was lovely. Got home (my parents) made a homemade happy meal, then out again for a walk from the house. Got all muddy but so much fun. My nephew is at the age where he doesn't want to go out but he had no choose and he loved it. My little girl, as much as she's a girlie girl, she loves walks and adventures. So spent £5 in cafe today and that's all. Normally it would involve a trip to big Mc but today was a can't afford it day and the kids never asked.
    So payday tomorrow and I will pop up the house later as builders has promised the plastering of the kitchen will be done today so the kitchen can be fitted next week. Fingers crossed xx
    Last edited by Kittencat; 22-02-2017 at 2:47 PM.
    • Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 22nd Feb 17, 9:55 PM
    • 10,467 Posts
    • 69,397 Thanks
    Bobarella
    Saving £1000 in a month is incredible! Seriously impressed.

• Ammeretto
    • By Ammeretto 22nd Feb 17, 10:12 PM
    • 160 Posts
    • 358 Thanks
    Ammeretto
    Hi Kittencat

just wanted to say welcome to you. I'm in wales too. Neither myself or my OH follow sports but whenever there is a match between England and wales (he's english) there is always one of us going ha ha to the other.

Well done on managing to save £1k in a month that's great.

not sure where you are in wales but if you're close to Margam park they have some activities this half term. I think tomorrow is animal mask making and St Davids day crafts on friday. OH is considering taking the boys when i'm in work tomorrow.
    Debt at LBM (Mar 14) - £29,981.66 + £11,320.91 Car & Bike HP + £799.78 HMRC tax credits = £42,102.35
    Credit card Debt Sep 17 - £16,865
    PAYDbyXMAS2017 #142 - £6,985 / £10,000
    • Kittencat
    • By Kittencat 24th Feb 17, 7:58 PM
    • 631 Posts
    • 3,966 Thanks
    Kittencat
    Saving £1000 in a month is incredible! Seriously impressed.
    Originally posted by Bobarella
    Thank you Bob, we are hoping for the same this month, fingers crossed. It is slightly easier, money wise, living with my parents though. They are just amazing.
    • Kittencat
    • By Kittencat 24th Feb 17, 8:01 PM
    • 631 Posts
    • 3,966 Thanks
    Kittencat
    Hi Kittencat

just wanted to say welcome to you. I'm in wales too. Neither myself or my OH follow sports but whenever there is a match between England and wales (he's english) there is always one of us going ha ha to the other.

Well done on managing to save £1k in a month that's great.

not sure where you are in wales but if you're close to Margam park they have some activities this half term. I think tomorrow is animal mask making and St Davids day crafts on friday. OH is considering taking the boys when i'm in work tomorrow.
    Originally posted by Ammeretto

Hi Ammeretto
    We went to Margam park today actually, love the place. Small world.
    • Kittencat
    • By Kittencat 24th Feb 17, 8:16 PM
    • 631 Posts
    • 3,966 Thanks
    Kittencat
    I have had an amazing couple of day's with my little girl. Lots of walks and cake stops. Real quality time together.....the best feeling in the world.

Yesterday was a spendy day. Hairdressers £20 for me and £5 for the little one. Then we met DH in Mcd (his suggestion and I just went along with it!) Then popped into HB for some cleaning stuff and toiletries (love this shop).

Today myself and little met a friend and her son (same class as my little girl) at a country park, the weather was really sunny. We walked for ages, took a packed lunch and only spent on £4 on a cup of tea and a biscuit. Also got into the park for free as friend had annual pass.....result. We all had the best time.

I'm certainly enjoying the not spending lark. I started a spreadsheet yesterday as it was DH's pay day. I know it's not going to be a true account of our finances as we are still with my parents whilst house is being renovated so we are not paying council tax which I feel is huge (£180 that's for 10 months), we are still paying direct debits for gas/electric so we will be in credit by loads. Our stuff is in storage so we are paying £120ish a month for this so I surpose that's the council tax really.

It's my payday on the 28th so we won't put any saving into the saving's account until my pay has gone in. We are hoping for £1000 again but we have a car service to pay for his month.

Anyway I'm off to watch Minimalist (if I can find it) that I've read on another diary.

Take care guys
    • Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 24th Feb 17, 9:03 PM
    • 10,467 Posts
    • 69,397 Thanks
    Bobarella
    Sounds like a lovely day. So true we don't need much to be happy with kids.

• Kittencat
    • By Kittencat 1st Mar 17, 4:38 PM
    • 631 Posts
    • 3,966 Thanks
    Kittencat
    Happy St Davids Day to all the Welshies!!

Little girl was SO excited to wear her traditional Welsh costume to school. They had a day of singing, folk dancing and tasting Welsh cakes, Welsh cheese, leeks etc. Her homework over the half term was to make something Welsh eg. Leek, daffodil etc. We couldn't decide what to do so we made a big daffodil and then made little drawing and stuck them on the petals, one had a Welsh lady, other a leek etc. It looked VERY homemade and guess what...... she won 1st prize out of all at reception. Some of the others I saw were amazing but I think hers looked as if she had helped and not the parents work. So proud of her!!

Our kitchen is being fitted this week, went up yesterday and I'm glad we extended the kitchen as it's now a lovely size. We are still on for the end of March and I can't wait. Kitchen money went out on Monday so put savings into account to cover that. Big money month this month and next. My car insurance, mot, tax, DH's motorbike is also due insurance etc also. So savings will take a battering. Lucky it's there really.

NSD today......1st of many in March hopefully.
    • boxofpaws
    • By boxofpaws 1st Mar 17, 5:24 PM
    • 404 Posts
    • 1,673 Thanks
    boxofpaws
    I'm glad things are moving on the building front now. Well done on the amazing saving last month.

And most of all well done to the Little One on her prize
    Debt 03/01/17 = £42000
    Debt today = £31900
    • Kittencat
    • By Kittencat 1st Mar 17, 8:29 PM
    • 631 Posts
    • 3,966 Thanks
    Kittencat
    My little girls class has chicken pox, it's been going around everyone. At one point there were 10 children off with it! Anyway I thought we had got away with it, but her best friends mum has just text me to say she has chicken pox!! AAAHHH! I know it's best for her to have it young but I would rather wait until we are in our own house! Fingers crossed she won't get it for at least another month!
    • Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 1st Mar 17, 11:14 PM
    • 10,467 Posts
    • 69,397 Thanks
    Bobarella
    Congratulations to your DD on her win. That's so good!

I remember my son getting chicken pox as I had to get cover at work which wasn't easy. Thankfully he didn't get hit too badly as some kids can be really unwell.

• Kittencat
    • By Kittencat 3rd Mar 17, 8:13 PM
    • 631 Posts
    • 3,966 Thanks
    Kittencat
    Congratulations to your DD on her win. That's so good!

I remember my son getting chicken pox as I had to get cover at work which wasn't easy. Thankfully he didn't get hit too badly as some kids can be really unwell.
    Originally posted by Bobarella
    Thanks Bob.
    • Kittencat
    • By Kittencat 3rd Mar 17, 8:25 PM
    • 631 Posts
    • 3,966 Thanks
    Kittencat
    I'm getting really paranoid about my little one getting chicken pox. I'm not worried about her having chicken pox more around the timing. We have no other childcare options in the day time, other than myself and DH. My parents still work and the in-laws live too far away, so I have to take leave from work when she is ill (thankfully hasn't happened much), my boss is very hard and makes you feel really guilty. My DH is fab and if he is on a rest day he will look after her and he will even take emergency child care leave (his is paid and mine is not) but he is an emergency service worker and I can't expect him to do this every time. I worry about what work will say even though my little girl comes first always. I need to calm down and if she gets the pox then I will deal with it. Every other parent has to. I'm just weak and worry about things that don't really matter in the larger scheme of things!

OK.......Friday is always treat day for DD if she has been good all week, so after school we always go to the local supermarket and she picks a magazine and Kinder egg so no NSD today but that's OK.

Kitchen is in! Bathroom next week.....yeah
    • Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 3rd Mar 17, 10:48 PM
    • 10,467 Posts
    • 69,397 Thanks
    Bobarella
    Totally sympathise. Until recently every time my son was ill my husband had to stay home and I couldn't. If I didn't go to work the place wouldn't open and we'd lose a days takings. It was very difficult. OH was very good and thankfully we didn't have that many bad ones.

You are right to take that view, as in try not to stress until it happens, easier said than done isn't it.

• Kittencat
    • By Kittencat 8th Mar 17, 7:51 PM
    • 631 Posts
    • 3,966 Thanks
    Kittencat
    Hi Diary

The house is coming on nicely. Had a blip with the kitchen as the designer calculated the gap where the American fridge freezer is to go wrong. All sorted though as he admitted fault and ordered a smaller cupboard to widen gap. So kitchen looks lovely, nice big size I'm glad we extended it. They were doing the coving today and plumbing the kitchen. We are still on for moving in end of March. Can't wait!! I'm getting very stressed with everything these days. Every little issue, even small, is making me snappy, and this is not me! 7 months of living with the parents in a small house is hard for anyone. I'm lucky they are so easy going. When we move in I'm going to lock the 3 of us in for all week and enjoy the family time I've missed so much.

Money wise .....awful this month. Lots of eating out. Still managed £1000 savings so far, that's if we can be extra good the next 2 weeks.
    Last edited by Kittencat; 08-03-2017 at 7:59 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,130Posts Today

8,397Users online

Martin's Twitter