Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Kittencat
    • By Kittencat 5th Feb 17, 2:51 PM
    • 631Posts
    • 3,964Thanks
    Kittencat
    Village life
    • 5th Feb 17, 2:51 PM
    Village life 5th Feb 17 at 2:51 PM
    I feel I need a diary!

We have had a difficult 6 months but that will change as you will read below.

Short story - We sold our house 6 months ago and bought an older house in a small village on the outskirts of the town. The house needed work, but not as much as we thought. We were told by our builders that it would take 3 months and 6 months later we are still living with my parents in a very small house.

We = Husband, myself and little girl.

Builder has told us it will be another 6 weeks, we are OK with this as it's realistic and he has been fobbing us of far too long now.

As much as I really appriciate my mum and dad putting us up, rent free, it is really hard. We are in one bedroom, us on a sofa bed and little one on her mattress on the floor beside us. I do feel I have to bite my tongue a lot of the time. I really need my space and own home back now. Everything has been on hold for far too long.

I was going to start a diary when we move but I feel the need to do it now.
    All our belongings are in storage, if we had known we would still be with my parents 6 months on then we would have found somewhere to rent. We really miss our family time together, just the 3 of us!

I need to stop moaning and get on with it. Our life is a good one, we are a happy family and very close.

Money was really good before we bought the old house (have you seen the film 'Money Pit'?). We have the money for the refirbishment £31,000. All our savings and £12,000 Loan from family member. We also have a £25,000 Tesco loan on 3% apr over 7 years which was instead of increasing our mortgage. We have never had big debt before and it scares me if I'm honest. We have good money coming in but I feel we can't do anything until we are in our own home.

More later........ need a cup of tea.
    Last edited by Kittencat; 05-02-2017 at 2:53 PM.
Page 1
    • Kittencat
    • By Kittencat 5th Feb 17, 3:28 PM
    • 631 Posts
    • 3,964 Thanks
    Kittencat
    • 5th Feb 17, 3:28 PM
    • 5th Feb 17, 3:28 PM
    Today has been very quiet.

DH is working today so myself and little one popped up to the allotment ( new venture ) only had a plot 2 weeks ago. We just had a look around and did a lot of planning in my head. The allotment is at the end of the street we are going to live in.......eventually. I want to try every aspect of village life and this is one of them (not grown anything before....oh dear). Then walked to the park for little one to run around and play. I planned on popping into a supermarket for little bit's but little one had a leak in her welly and had wet tights so went home. My dad is watching the rugby downstairs and mum is cooking dinner, so me and little one are upstairs watching a film.

So a NSD today. I'm going to wonder over to the challenges as I need to keep occupied.
    • Kittencat
    • By Kittencat 6th Feb 17, 8:29 PM
    • 631 Posts
    • 3,964 Thanks
    Kittencat
    • 6th Feb 17, 8:29 PM
    • 6th Feb 17, 8:29 PM
    Well I've joined the NSD challenge. I've given myself 10 for the month of Feb. I think I can do it. I always take a packed lunch to work and pay £1.50 a month for our teas and coffees. Going to keep track in my signature.

Worked today then needed a little top up shop in Ald* and spent £12. Our shopping budget is also all over the place as my parents are insisting they get the groceries, so we have only been buying things that are extra. As my parents will not take anything off us for staying with them (in fact my dad gets quite angry if I mention it) they like going on holidays so when they book their next one, which will be soon, we will pop into the travel agents and pay off £500 and not tell them. Went straight to pick up little one from school after my little shop and we got soaked going from school to the car. We were going to pop into the library but decided to go home instead.

Husband is working nights tonight so I'm already in bed and going to put a film on. My head has been banging for the last hour but I hate taking painkillers. I think it's tension.

I didn't realise how much I miss housework. Husband went up the house today and looks like the builders haven't been there. This is one of the reasons the house has taken so long. So annoying!!

Anyway should be a NSD tomorrow.

Kxx
    Last edited by Kittencat; 06-02-2017 at 8:31 PM. Reason: spelling
    • Drawingaline
    • By Drawingaline 6th Feb 17, 9:55 PM
    • 187 Posts
    • 739 Thanks
    Drawingaline
    • 6th Feb 17, 9:55 PM
    • 6th Feb 17, 9:55 PM
    Hi

Good luck with the nsd, I tried in Jan but didn't get to grips with them and have a target of 10 in Feb too.
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 6th Feb 17, 10:09 PM
    • 7,439 Posts
    • 39,050 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    • 6th Feb 17, 10:09 PM
    • 6th Feb 17, 10:09 PM
    Welcome aboard with the diary Kittencat! Well done on taking the loan rather than adding the 25k to the mortgage too - definitely a financially savvy decision.

I can well imagine it must be tough being back with your parents - they can be the loveliest ever but once you've moved out, I think something in your mindset changes and it's incredibly difficult to go back. Fingers crossed things will be sorted out with the house really soon so you can get back there!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    Sainsbugs 0% card: 22/12/16 £1229.00/£412.21
    • Kittencat
    • By Kittencat 7th Feb 17, 8:23 PM
    • 631 Posts
    • 3,964 Thanks
    Kittencat
    • 7th Feb 17, 8:23 PM
    • 7th Feb 17, 8:23 PM
    Thanks guys for popping in..........cup of tea?

NSD today, mind you that's only because I asked DH to pick up milk instead of me.....does that count?

Popped to the house today and no builders again....... getting fed up now!

Just put 'The good karma hospital' on catch up. It looks really good so I'm going to sign off and pop in later.

Kxx
    May 2017 ..... debt was £37,000..
    June 17' - we now owe £34,500.
    • Apoorwoman
    • By Apoorwoman 7th Feb 17, 10:40 PM
    • 174 Posts
    • 351 Thanks
    Apoorwoman
    • 7th Feb 17, 10:40 PM
    • 7th Feb 17, 10:40 PM
    Popped to the house today and no builders again....... getting fed up now!
    Kxx
    Originally posted by Kittencat
    Forgive me butting in Kittencat, but I have first hand experience of builders since converting a barn with the use of sub-contractors. Please be very, very firm as they will take advantage. Give them a deadline, withhold payments if necessary. All the time you let this drift they will just pull their workforce for other jobs. I would suggest you give them a firm moving in date and insist the work is completed by then.

Rant over, will go back to my glass of wine.
    • Worrierwalker
    • By Worrierwalker 8th Feb 17, 12:04 AM
    • 43 Posts
    • 185 Thanks
    Worrierwalker
    • 8th Feb 17, 12:04 AM
    • 8th Feb 17, 12:04 AM
    I sympathise kittencat, having a money pit myself. We are living in our uninhabitable house, but I appreciate you can't do that with a child. I will say though that it's hard, awkward and dirty, and I can't wait for it to be finished.
    • Kittencat
    • By Kittencat 8th Feb 17, 7:03 PM
    • 631 Posts
    • 3,964 Thanks
    Kittencat
    • 8th Feb 17, 7:03 PM
    • 8th Feb 17, 7:03 PM
    Thanks guys

Husband had chat with builder who keeps saying that the house will be ready in 6 weeks/8 weeks at the latest. We have told him things are getting difficult living with parents and we are looking at renting, he has assured us it will be ready......watch this space!

NSD today......I'm rocking this week. Even DH has been good with money. Even though we are not paying council tax at the moment as the house is being refurbished, that's £185 a month less but we are paying storage for our possessions which is £125 a month so not really saving there. DH's pay day is in 2 weeks time and we have £600 in he bank.........if we don't still have money in the account by then, then I will eat my hat!!

DH is the spender in the family, he is a lot better than he used to be mind. He has 4 days off work now, so let's see how he gets on!

DH is doing storytime tonight then we are going to watch a film. I have never watched this many films in my life.....I'm more a girl who potters around rather than sit still for hours......it's killing me!

Cuppa tea coming up....anyone else?
    • boxofpaws
    • By boxofpaws 8th Feb 17, 7:23 PM
    • 364 Posts
    • 1,502 Thanks
    boxofpaws
    You have my fullest sympathy kittencat, having lived with my parents for 3 months between house sale and purchase. It was the longest 3 months of my life...

It will be worth it in the end though and you won't even remember the pain in a couple of years.

I would kill for a cup of tea right now
    Debt 03/01/17 = £42000
    Debt today = £33494
    • Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 8th Feb 17, 10:08 PM
    • 10,568 Posts
    • 69,004 Thanks
    Bobarella
    Good luck Kittencat we lived in a building site when I was pregnant with DS. We had a bad experience with the builder who did substandard work which we then had to pay to put right. He also stole from us and then did a runner after we gave him an ultimatum.

I really hope your builders pull their fingers out and deliver on your move date.
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe"

Debt neutral 27/03/17 from £40k in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
    • Kittencat
    • By Kittencat 11th Feb 17, 4:32 PM
    • 631 Posts
    • 3,964 Thanks
    Kittencat
    Thanks for all your replies everyone. Much appreciated.

We are staying at the in-laws this weekend, which is about an hours drive from home. No NSD yesterday as DD had a magazine and chocolate buttons after school to read and eat in the car on the way to Grans. Bless her as she has had a challenging week in school due to a new girl in her class who is a little bossy and loud who is not letting my child play with her friends. My DD didn't want to go to school and was litrally pulling me away and screaming. I had to pick her up screaming and take into class. I spoke to teacher who hopefully will sort it out. My DD is only 4 and she is quiet and a a little sensitive at times. It's the hardest thing I've had to do as a mum. I know she has to get used to different personalities, she just can't handle loud children.....never has.

Battery is about to die on this tablet, so just quickly......the rugby is on (not into rugby) but my home country Wales is playing England and it's always a big match so will be watching........COME ON WALES.

Check in later with update on how the bank is looking.
    Last edited by Kittencat; 11-02-2017 at 4:38 PM.
    • Kittencat
    • By Kittencat 11th Feb 17, 4:46 PM
    • 631 Posts
    • 3,964 Thanks
    Kittencat
    Ok in now on my phone which is charged. My DH is forever telling me off for not charging my tablet and phone.

Ok have £270 left until pay day which is the 23rd. We can do this! My car will need petrol the next few days and can't think of anything big due to go out
    • Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 11th Feb 17, 5:14 PM
    • 10,568 Posts
    • 69,004 Thanks
    Bobarella
    Aww hope DD has a better week next week. It is hard for children getting used to different personalities to their own. Hopefully the teacher will keep an eye though as not fair if yours is being scared by the louder kids.

• Kittencat
    • By Kittencat 11th Feb 17, 5:46 PM
    • 631 Posts
    • 3,964 Thanks
    Kittencat
    Aww hope DD has a better week next week. It is hard for children getting used to different personalities to their own. Hopefully the teacher will keep an eye though as not fair if yours is being scared by the louder kids.
    Originally posted by Bobarella
    Thanks Bob. I'm hoping my DD is just being extra sensitive though. It's hard when she's telling me that this little girl keeps telling her to 'go away' and play with someone else. She does need to toughen up a little but to be honest I don't think it's in her nature. By the way Bob I read your diary the other day (took me 2 days actually) you are an inspiration and I love how busy you are. It's funny how when your busy you really wish for time out but when you can't be busy (ie my situation, living with parents, I want to lead a busy life again.) Does that make sense?

Bit intense here with the laws, father in law is English and Wales are winning at half time. Myself and husband don't normally do rugby but the in laws do. Too intense for me (this will be the only match we will watch) but fingers crossed we may see a Welsh win.
    Last edited by Kittencat; 11-02-2017 at 5:48 PM.
    • Drawingaline
    • By Drawingaline 11th Feb 17, 7:44 PM
    • 187 Posts
    • 739 Thanks
    Drawingaline
    Hope your DD has a better week next week. My four yr old has really struggled with the transition to school. It's such a tough time for them.
    • Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 11th Feb 17, 8:32 PM
    • 10,568 Posts
    • 69,004 Thanks
    Bobarella
    Thanks for reading my rambles I feel for you. It must be very hard to go back to being in your parents house again when you are used to being your own person. I can imagine how much you are longing to be home now. So true, I'm always the same. When things are mad I always long for quiet times and then get bored

Hope the rugby household survives

• Kittencat
    • By Kittencat 11th Feb 17, 8:32 PM
    • 631 Posts
    • 3,964 Thanks
    Kittencat
    Hi Drawing

Here in Wales they start full time school at 3, so this is her second year full time. Nursery is full-time now she's in reception. She has always loved school, has always skipped in. She's a happy little girl so it was a shock to see her screaming and saying she's scared.
    • Kittencat
    • By Kittencat 11th Feb 17, 8:34 PM
    • 631 Posts
    • 3,964 Thanks
    Kittencat
    Thanks Bob.

Mmm this is why I don't DO rugby! Wales had it in the bag and lost it at the last hurdle!
    • Kittencat
    • By Kittencat 12th Feb 17, 7:46 PM
    • 631 Posts
    • 3,964 Thanks
    Kittencat
    Home from the in laws. They spoilt us with Sunday lunch out today, we payed for drinks. Been a spendy weekend really, went swimming yesterday ( £21!!! for 2 adults and 1 child) then had mcd after then filled DH'S car up (mine will need filling soon also).

It's good to write down what we have spent as it's shocking tbh.

Will be good this week......hoping for a NSD tomorrow.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,607Posts Today

7,559Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin