Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • motivated
    • By motivated 28th Jan 17, 4:51 PM
    • 2,223Posts
    • 3,128Thanks
    motivated
    Debt Demolisher
    • 28th Jan 17, 4:51 PM
    Debt Demolisher 28th Jan 17 at 4:51 PM
    Hi MSE ers

Have plucked up the courage to admit that I cannot cope financially.

Long story short. We are £82,590 in Credit card and Loan debt basically spent on nothing but shopping, holidays, clothes and household things.

We are not in arrears or any CCJs at present but fear this will not last.

I completed the step change debt remedy tool thing today and it advised me to ring them on Monday Petrified at the thought of phone calls, bailiffs at my door and threatening letters etc. I don't even know what to expect about the process etc.

What do I have to show for it all NOTHING

So angry with myself but I do feel a little easier as it seems I have woken up and am willing to face it all, pay it all off and remove a lot of the stress I have every month.

Myself and My OH both work and are both willing to pull together to sort this sorry mess out. I am hoping that keeping a diary and soaking up some excellent tips and advice will see us through to the end.

I have seen some excellent advice and encouragement given on here and have thoroughly enjoyed reading all of the advice and diaries.

One day I will be advising others (I hope)

Please be gentle with me
    M
    Last edited by motivated; 30-05-2017 at 10:33 AM.
Page 14
    • motivated
    • By motivated 8th May 17, 6:10 AM
    • 2,223 Posts
    • 3,128 Thanks
    motivated
    Morning world

Had a nice weekend and was up nice and early for work today, very busy time at work now at least for the next 4-5 weeks it should keep me out of trouble though

On the debt front I had a slight wobble this morning and thought my creditors will be getting their letters today, tomorrow at the latest. I don't know what the wobble was all about to be honest. I've made the decision to go it alone and there's no going back, I was just thinking about it all this morning. Hopefully I will hear back pretty quick as I need to feel like I'm actually doing something about it all and I hope they don't chew me up and spit me out

Anyway I will just wait and see. I'll keep you updated.

Very random post this morning.
    M
    Last edited by motivated; 08-05-2017 at 6:32 AM.
    Emptying my lake with a teaspoon
    Short term goal £510/£1796
    EF/1k
    • arsenalbarnie
    • By arsenalbarnie 8th May 17, 8:36 AM
    • 239 Posts
    • 1,414 Thanks
    arsenalbarnie
    Just think of all the interest they have had off you over the years.
    • Treadingonplaymobil
    • By Treadingonplaymobil 8th May 17, 9:42 AM
    • 922 Posts
    • 7,802 Thanks
    Treadingonplaymobil
    Exciting that you are moving over to self managed! I hope it all goes smoothly for you.
    £67,031.92 is a frightening number indeed... The debt free diary of one family and their enormous debt
    LBM debt on 12th Feb 2017/DFD: £58,608.13/1st Dec 2026
    debt on 2nd Aug 17/DFD: £55,011.96/1st May 2025
    • motivated
    • By motivated 8th May 17, 2:53 PM
    • 2,223 Posts
    • 3,128 Thanks
    motivated
    Just think of all the interest they have had off you over the years.
    Originally posted by arsenalbarnie
    You are absolutely right arsenal. I dread to think. I feel better already

Exciting that you are moving over to self managed! I hope it all goes smoothly for you.
    Originally posted by Treadingonplaymobil
    I hope so too. My mobile rang today with an unknown number I was like They left a voicemail and I had to wait a while before I could check it as I am at work. Turned out it was a cold caller

Note to self, stop being paranoid about creditors
    M
    EF/1k
    • Weakmoments
    • By Weakmoments 9th May 17, 5:19 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    Weakmoments
    Hi Motivated you are doing really well, I've subscribed to your diary. Hoping your determination rubs off on me xx good luck you're doing fab x
    • motivated
    • By motivated 9th May 17, 6:04 PM
    • 2,223 Posts
    • 3,128 Thanks
    motivated
    Hi weakmoments I like your name ( I've had a few of these over the years finance wise )

Thanks for your support I need as much as I can get. Welcome to my loooong journey hopefully it will be as painless as possible for us but I'm giving it all I've got

Not much happening here today I suppose I'm waiting for the postman now to see if/when I hear back from creditors regarding my offers of £1.00 a month for so many months

Stick around this should be fun
    M
    Last edited by motivated; 10-05-2017 at 6:39 PM.
    EF/1k
    • motivated
    • By motivated 11th May 17, 6:55 PM
    • 2,223 Posts
    • 3,128 Thanks
    motivated

Hello all lovely sunny day here whether it will last who knows. All quiet here and if the saying "no news is good news" is true then I'll take that . I tend to forget that the credit companies are dealing with thousands of people every day. I think it's just me lol.

Been super busy at work and the days are just flying by can't believe it's Friday tomorrow already

On a positive note my £50 from yougov surveys has landed in my account . Moved it straight out in the savings and am starting again on my next £50. I'm tempted though to pay it off the small target I'm trying to hit. This will be paid on Monday anyway but I'm thinking of adding this to it too. decisions decisions

Payday Monday so will be moving funds around again. My bank must be getting dizzy with all the transfers I'm doing. In this account and out of that one. Out of that one and into another .
    I'll keep you updated on my £50
    M
    EF/1k
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 12th May 17, 12:38 AM
    • 674 Posts
    • 2,071 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    my £50 from yougov surveys has landed in my account .
    Originally posted by motivated
    Nice one!
    • Weakmoments
    • By Weakmoments 12th May 17, 8:01 AM
    • 32 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    Weakmoments
    That's great news about the surveys, I gave up with them lol
    • motivated
    • By motivated 14th May 17, 6:06 PM
    • 2,223 Posts
    • 3,128 Thanks
    motivated

Weekend over again where does the time go. I've been busy the last few days and just noticed I have neglected my diary ( smack on wrist).

Still plodding away but it's payday though have managed to up the payment this month to my short term goal. I want this gone ASAP. I will be making small overpayments as and when and this is a good motivation for me when I can update my signature. My plan is to have this paid off by Christmas if not before. I could probably do it sooner but don't want to leave anything else short so I will have to aim for Christmas and anytime sooner will be a bonus.

Once DDs have gone tomorrow I will see what's left and then move this around accounts. It's like playing a game with myself
    EF/1k
    • Tipsntreats
    • By Tipsntreats 14th May 17, 6:56 PM
    • 8,396 Posts
    • 10,688 Thanks
    Tipsntreats
    Again - best say that to all of you

Just reading through and I see you got fifty squid - every little counts, to coin a phrase.

You seem in much brighter spirits, so that is good. Remember, there are so many free things to do in life. Just a walk in the sunshine is bliss.
    I'm still here reading your news, and rooting for you as always.
    • motivated
    • By motivated 14th May 17, 7:12 PM
    • 2,223 Posts
    • 3,128 Thanks
    motivated
    Again - best say that to all of you

Just reading through and I see you got fifty squid - every little counts, to coin a phrase.

You seem in much brighter spirits, so that is good. Remember, there are so many free things to do in life. Just a walk in the sunshine is bliss.
    I'm still here reading your news, and rooting for you as always.
    Originally posted by Tipsntreats

Ahh thankyou for my flowers Tips.

Yes my £50 was from doing surveys. I had another lot a while back but wasted it as usual. Not this time I've stashed it away and am already working towards my next £50

As for being in brighter spirits I've not felt this relaxed in a long time. Even though at work we are like it's exam season at school and it so full on but where my mood is brighter I am ok with it all. Long may it continue.
    M
    EF/1k
    • Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 15th May 17, 9:28 PM
    • 10,467 Posts
    • 69,397 Thanks
    Bobarella
    That's great! Nice to feel like you can relax for once.
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe"

Debt neutral 27/03/17 from £40k in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
    • motivated
    • By motivated 18th May 17, 12:15 PM
    • 2,223 Posts
    • 3,128 Thanks
    motivated
    Hi all

Am supposed to be working but am very distracted today. My pooch has been to the vet and cost so far £302 I have a nasty feeling this won't be the end of it either. To top it all my insurance is not worth the paper it's written on It's states specific illnesses and blood tests etc are not covered. What a load of ****. It's my own fault I suppose for not reading all the small print. I will be cancelling this when I get home and saving the money towards any further vet bills.
    Although I did manage to buy some of the tablets online as advised by the vet. It worked out £100 cheaper so a small bonus there.

I will survive and will make sure that I build up a bigger buffer for the vets from now on. Just one of many bumps in the DMP road (I hope).

Rant over and back to work
    M

Edit: Just realised too, at least I have paid it on a debit card and not a dreaded CC as would have been the norm a while back.
    Last edited by motivated; 18-05-2017 at 12:18 PM.
    EF/1k
    • motivated
    • By motivated 19th May 17, 8:27 PM
    • 2,223 Posts
    • 3,128 Thanks
    motivated
    I'm back and a lot happier

Even though I had the most awful dream last night. I dreamt that a very close family member was dead but in the dream they were a child again and trying to contact me by moving things etc. When I saw them I couldn't get to them. I woke myself up calling their name It was so real and it played on my mind all day. I wonder if this means anything?

It's Friday, I so need a weekend off but I have lots of housework to do. I want to get up early and get started and grab a couple of hours chilling time in the afternoon. Whether my plan will work who knows.

We have thunder and torrential rain here what's that all about.

I have got over my little sulk about pet insurance, I cancelled it after I had a moan on the phone to them. My loyal four legged friend seems to be a little brighter today but what a mission trying to get him to take his tablets The money I've paid for them he WILL take them

DHs payday today so I have paid my weekly things that we pay and have done the grocery shop (within budget too). We're still doing ok money wise but my short term target will take a little longer than I'd hoped due to the vet bill but at least I managed it without CCs.

Received 2 letters from one of our creditors acknowledging my letters regarding token payments. Although one of them is saying a higher figure. The figure I budgeted after my token payment period ends. They never mentioned my £1 token payment. But I will just carry on with my £1 token payments for the time being. They were very nice about it actually.

No news from the other creditor as yet. I have also sent off now CCA letters to each of them and see what they come up with there. Apparently they have 12 days to send all the info to me. So overall I am still plodding along nicely.
    M
    EF/1k
    • Tipsntreats
    • By Tipsntreats 19th May 17, 11:04 PM
    • 8,396 Posts
    • 10,688 Thanks
    Tipsntreats
    Yes, the unexpected always happens.
    Best laid plans and all that.
    You seem to be facing everything with the utmost determination.
    I am still here.
    • Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 20th May 17, 12:53 AM
    • 10,467 Posts
    • 69,397 Thanks
    Bobarella
    I hate it when you have dreams like that which really stay with you. The mind is a funny thing.

Glad your dog is feeling better.
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe"

Debt neutral 27/03/17 from £40k in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
    • arsenalbarnie
    • By arsenalbarnie 20th May 17, 9:50 AM
    • 239 Posts
    • 1,414 Thanks
    arsenalbarnie
    Chin up motivated. Someone once told me life is a path with boulders to step round every now and then. Hope your pooch is feeling better soon. Mine take their tabs hidden in a lump of cheese or wrapped in bacon. Mind you they are labs so they will eat anything! I hate dreams that don't go away. I had one yesterday where my OH said he was leaving me, I was sobbing but in real life I would get the flags out some days

Are you putting money into an emergency fund now you are making token payments?
    • motivated
    • By motivated 20th May 17, 10:24 AM
    • 2,223 Posts
    • 3,128 Thanks
    motivated
    I hate dreams that don't go away. I had one yesterday where my OH said he was leaving me, I was sobbing but in real life I would get the flags out some days
    Hi arsenal

Now I definitely know where you're coming from re DHs

I am building my EF a bit more and then the money I would've been using for my DMP I will be stashing away hopefully until my creditors default me and sell the debts on. I then hope to be in a position to offer F&Fs.

Even if this takes too long and I start paying my DMP payments that I have budgeted on NEDCAB I will still be in a position to save a little each month and build it up that way. At the moment I am playing it by ear ( what does that saying even mean)
    M
    EF/1k
    • motivated
    • By motivated 22nd May 17, 6:48 PM
    • 2,223 Posts
    • 3,128 Thanks
    motivated
    Chin up motivated. Someone once told me life is a path with boulders to step round every now and then. Hope your pooch is feeling better soon. Mine take their tabs hidden in a lump of cheese or wrapped in bacon.
    Hi arsenal,

My dog is feeling a little better I think. I would too if someone spent £400 on me
    This was the money I had planned for our short term goal so all it does is put us back a little but nothing too drastic.

I am happy that none of it has been put onto a CC though

Another check up today and the vet says just to carry on with meds and another blood test in a months time. This give me a few weeks to put some extra away towards it.

As for the tablets he's onto us big time. He eats anything but if he gets a slight inkling that there is something hiding in it hes like so onto plan B whatever that is lol.
    M
    EF/1k
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,130Posts Today

8,397Users online

Martin's Twitter