Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 27th Dec 16, 7:03 PM
    • 9,929Posts
    • 25,393Thanks
    benbenandme
    Ready to do it all over again ...
    • 27th Dec 16, 7:03 PM
    Ready to do it all over again ... 27th Dec 16 at 7:03 PM
    Hello, thank you for popping by

I have been a regular on the debt free diaries board for years as well as dipping in here at times. I did join in Tallgirls Mortgage Free in 3 Challenge several years ago and have had several diaries over the years. This is the first time I've had one here though despite never actually being in debt I always felt it could happen oh so easily so treated myself as if I was a dfw.

So, 2017 and my new diary here ...

I have lived in my lovely flat with my ds (13) for the last 9 years and finally it looks as though we will be moving in the new year. I have sold my flat to a cash buyer and have had an offer accepted on a 2 bed little house. I will probably put stuff into storage and stay with my Mum for a few weeks while the house goes through as my buyers are very keen to complete asap and I don't want to risk losing them as I have already had one sale fall through due to brexit.

Normally at this point between Christmas and New Year I begin planning my aims for the coming year, setting goals - usually financial related, and generally getting everything organised ready to tackle whatever I have planned. This normally is a goal to knock off the mortgage etc.

This year however everything is a bit unknown as I can't predict how much I can save etc at this point. But what I can do is take stock of exactly where I'm at now and make lists, I do like lists , of things I need to do to make as many pennies as possible / minimise spends where possible.
    New Home Overpayments 255
    Mortgage Total: 75,000 74,445 Mortgage End Date: May 2040
    Brother's loan: 700 / 30,000
Page 3
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 31st Dec 16, 10:18 AM
    • 9,929 Posts
    • 25,393 Thanks
    benbenandme
    Just realised I missed a few bits from my SOA; my Spotify subscription is 9.99 a month, I treated myself to a Bose speaker with birthday money last year so I'm still loving being able to listen to all sorts of music I haven't heard for years. Ds also has joined scouts so there will be monthly costs for that too, although I need to check what they are. I'd put my wages figure in wrongly too, so I don't have quite so much spare income as first thought, but hopefully I'll manage
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 1st Jan 17, 9:38 AM
    • 9,929 Posts
    • 25,393 Thanks
    benbenandme
    Happy New Year

Last night we went to a friends house for the evening, was lovely and very mse Ds is still asleep at the moment, very unusual for him but he needs it .

So today will be day one of wearing my fitbit again. It's fully charged and ready to go but I don't want to get up yet as I'll wake ds up. I have checked his savings account (annual interest paid today ) and moved most of it into a higher paying interest account.

It's supposed to be raining here all day today but looks alright at the moment. I will try and get some steps in this morning before the rain comes. Other than that it's another quite lazy day, nothing much planed will just see what comes.
    • Florence J
    • By Florence J 1st Jan 17, 10:52 AM
    • 1,277 Posts
    • 6,993 Thanks
    Florence J
    Happy New Year BenBen.

I'm wishing you a super 2017 where all your goals come true.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 10 #553 (90) Wombling free 2017 = 781.68 Pay off all your debts by Xmas 2017 #53 (1797.90/3000) Debt to OH paid back 601.75/1001.75
    April 2017 Credit Card Debt: 4919.44
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 1st Jan 17, 11:01 AM
    • 9,929 Posts
    • 25,393 Thanks
    benbenandme
    Ds has finally rolled out of bed, I've managed to get the tesco order done while I was in bed, being delivered tomorrow teatime.

I also filled the car up with petrol last night, which will come out of this months money, hopefully that will last a couple of weeks.

Today I need to sort out the paperwork to send to the solicitor for the house move. Hopefully once everyone's back at work on Tuesday things will start moving along.
    • pixiechick99
    • By pixiechick99 1st Jan 17, 11:28 AM
    • 3,636 Posts
    • 15,338 Thanks
    pixiechick99
    Happy new year to you both
    January NSDs 0/12
    January Grocery Challenge 0/200

DFW Nerd #1135
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 1st Jan 17, 2:21 PM
    • 9,929 Posts
    • 25,393 Thanks
    benbenandme
    Thanks Pixie, and to you and yours

So we've collected the dog, done ds bedroom to an acceptable standard, have gone through his chest of drawers and binned stuff that no longer fits, I will start packing in there next week so will sort through other things then as we go.

The outside Christmas tree has gone back to Mums along with three boxes of her stuff that I've had in my garage since she moved last year, I think I will try to take a couple of boxes each time I go round there, that way the garage will gradually get cleared in small chunks.

Half of the shoe cupboard has been done - the bottom half has the freezer, a lifetime supply of carrier bags / Ikea blue bags etc, and the ironing pile. The Christmas lights have been unplugged (although struggling to get the wire back through the hole in the wall ), the ironing is in the lounge ready to be done, the freezzer inventory is done, I just need to gut the shoes at the top and pull the freezer out so I can read the electricity meter and submit the reading online.
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 1st Jan 17, 5:23 PM
    • 9,929 Posts
    • 25,393 Thanks
    benbenandme
    Quick update:

[STRIKE]Ds haircut DONE
    Recycle xmas tree DONE
    Xmas decs boxed up DONE
    Email documents to solicitor DONE
    Ds thankyou letters
    Fix bike
    Cancel old mobile contract DONE
    Make an inventory of the freezer DONE
    Make an inventory of the food cupboards DONE
    Ebay any suitable items NO ITEMS FOUND
    Change all bedding DONE
    Clear all junk to the tip DONE
    Clean drawer in washing machine DONE
    Dejunk wooden drawers in lounge
    Research storage costs
    Update calendar DONE
    Sort MOT DONE
    Find fitbit, chargee it and use it DONE
    Take outdoor potted xmas tree to Mums garden DONE
    Arrange to take Mum to see new house
    Dejunk all paperwork DONE
    Gut shoe cupboardALMOST DONE
    I've also cleared the ironing again this afternoon and that has all been put away.
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 1st Jan 17, 9:36 PM
    • 9,929 Posts
    • 25,393 Thanks
    benbenandme
    My computer antivirus etc was sue for renewal today and I had an email saying it had been automatically renewed for 79.99 I have emailed them and have had it refunded and bought it elsewhere for 18 which covers all out computers / phones. I know I can get it free online but after lots of hassle in the past I'm happy to pay 20 for peace of mind. But no way to paying 80
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 2nd Jan 17, 9:11 AM
    • 9,929 Posts
    • 25,393 Thanks
    benbenandme
    Morning all, final day of the holidays here, I don't want to go back to work tomorrow

So today - we are going to take the dog for a good walk this morning to get some steps in, I only did 3,000 yesterday Other than that we will be mooching, doing some last minute bits and pieces around the flat today, keeping an eye on the footie this afternoon (Bournemouth are playing tomorrow night). Food shopping is coming tonight.

Hopefully I won't spend any money today but let's see
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 2nd Jan 17, 2:59 PM
    • 9,929 Posts
    • 25,393 Thanks
    benbenandme
    So I went on the internet and printed out a walk in the forest we haven't done before. It's 7 miles it says ... suitable for prams and buggies it says (I thought it wouldn't be muddy if it was on tracks) ... off we set, luckily we bumped into another couple doing the same walk and for the first couple of miles everything was fine, then it rapidly turned into a farce - the instructions were ridiculous; "Follow the path for 200m then fork right and go up the hill". All good except the path had no deviations from it whatsoever for 500m and then just ran out, there were no signs of any forks or hills at all. This happened several times and at one point we all decided we'd had enough and found our way back to a road and got back from there. We had covered about half of the planned route and had actually walked 8 miles already. There was no chance a buggy could've done any of it, we were up to our ankles in mud regularly throughout, crossing streams, allsorts! Anyhow, having found the road again we stumble across a chippie and had a well deserved bag of chips and can of coke each (6).

The dog is shattered and will need a bath as he is caked in mud. In good news though I have made up for yesterdays lack of walking - my fitbit is showing 20,002 so far for today
    • CathT
    • By CathT 2nd Jan 17, 3:19 PM
    • 5,135 Posts
    • 35,341 Thanks
    CathT
    Hi there,just wanted to wish you good luck with house purchase and yor goals.
    June 2010 121,287
    May 2017 - part 1 - 81,782
    -part 2 - 46,814
    Total - 128,596
    • Florence J
    • By Florence J 2nd Jan 17, 5:05 PM
    • 1,277 Posts
    • 6,993 Thanks
    Florence J
    I hope tomorrow is a good day for Bournemouth, today has been quite bad for Bristol Well done on your steps!
    Sealed Pot Challenge 10 #553 (90) Wombling free 2017 = 781.68 Pay off all your debts by Xmas 2017 #53 (1797.90/3000) Debt to OH paid back 601.75/1001.75
    • amycool
    • By amycool 2nd Jan 17, 5:10 PM
    • 756 Posts
    • 3,210 Thanks
    amycool
    So I went on the internet and printed out a walk in the forest we haven't done before. It's 7 miles it says ... suitable for prams and buggies it says (I thought it wouldn't be muddy if it was on tracks) ... off we set, luckily we bumped into another couple doing the same walk and for the first couple of miles everything was fine, then it rapidly turned into a farce - the instructions were ridiculous; "Follow the path for 200m then fork right and go up the hill". All good except the path had no deviations from it whatsoever for 500m and then just ran out, there were no signs of any forks or hills at all. This happened several times and at one point we all decided we'd had enough and found our way back to a road and got back from there. We had covered about half of the planned route and had actually walked 8 miles already. There was no chance a buggy could've done any of it, we were up to our ankles in mud regularly throughout, crossing streams, allsorts! Anyhow, having found the road again we stumble across a chippie and had a well deserved bag of chips and can of coke each (6).

The dog is shattered and will need a bath as he is caked in mud. In good news though I have made up for yesterdays lack of walking - my fitbit is showing 20,002 so far for today
    Originally posted by benbenandme
    This sounds like 90% of the planned walks we have been on. We once got lost in some woods in Lincolnshire and then heard gunshots!
    Mortgage (Start Sep 2014)- 70,295/39781.13- 43.4%
    Overpayments - 18935.03
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 2nd Jan 17, 5:33 PM
    • 9,929 Posts
    • 25,393 Thanks
    benbenandme
    Flo - Not sure whether you're a Rovers or City fan, although was a bad day for both. Yann Kermoghant got 2 for Reading near the end - he was one of very few players we let go when we got promoted to the PL, he's very good

Amy - We tend to stick to the same old routes but decided it would be nice to try somewhere new. Back to the same old next time

I've just had a hot bath as I couldn't warm up, ds is asleep on his bed and I had to wake the dog up to go and get his dinner which is unheard of for him He's wolfed it down and is curled up on his blanket again now fast asleep.

My tesco order is due between 6-7, other than that I need to paint my nails, pack my bag for school and have some dinner
    • Florence J
    • By Florence J 2nd Jan 17, 5:36 PM
    • 1,277 Posts
    • 6,993 Thanks
    Florence J
    I'm a city fan, Tammy Abraham did us some good today, oh well, I'm at the football next weekend so maybe they can win that match for me
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 2nd Jan 17, 6:19 PM
    • 9,929 Posts
    • 25,393 Thanks
    benbenandme
    Shopping is here, no substitutions and all put away. Pizza in the oven as I can't be bothered to cook a proper dinner tonight , 54 spent on food shopping, let's see if that's all for the week
    • Southern-Girl
    • By Southern-Girl 3rd Jan 17, 11:49 AM
    • 55 Posts
    • 461 Thanks
    Southern-Girl
    I love reading your diaries BenBen. Happy New Year to you and Ben and I hope everything goes smoothly for the new house.
    I curious? What made you decide that the house that was too small is now OK?

x

• benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 3rd Jan 17, 6:34 PM
    • 9,929 Posts
    • 25,393 Thanks
    benbenandme
    Hi Southern Girl - it is still a tad on the small side, but the most important bit for me was feeling safe. The house is on an expensive (for the size of the house) estate, but it is somewhere I know well and I know I wouldn't ever worry about being in the house on my own there. I know it sounds daft, I could have a much bigger house somewhere else but I want the peace of mind of feeling safe.
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 3rd Jan 17, 7:00 PM
    • 9,929 Posts
    • 25,393 Thanks
    benbenandme
    Just realised today has been a nsd
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 3rd Jan 17, 10:20 PM
    • 9,929 Posts
    • 25,393 Thanks
    benbenandme
    Just watched the most stressful game of footie for ages ... so so proud of my team xx
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,486Posts Today

8,245Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Beware the hidden £1,000s parents aren't told they must pay for University fees. My new FT column https://t.co/gDOyZDMCr9 (free to read) RT

• Who do you think came out best in the Corbyn v May battle tonight?

• Clever by Paxman; subtly testing out "strong & stable" by focusing on u-turns on Brexit view, social care, self employed tax & election date

• Follow Martin