Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Ryan
    • By MSE Ryan 30th Nov 16, 3:20 PM
    • 35Posts
    • 33Thanks
    MSE Ryan
    TSB Current Account Switch Blagged Deal
    • 30th Nov 16, 3:20 PM
    TSB Current Account Switch Blagged Deal 30th Nov 16 at 3:20 PM
    Hi guys, we're featuring a new exclusive offer on the site that whilst perhaps not being suitable for everyone, we feel might be a good deal for some of you;
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/compare-best-bank-accounts#tsbswitch

Free £100 for switching, plus 5% interest (3% from Jan) & up to £5/mth cashback
    TSB CLASSIC PLUS*

Until 11 Dec 2016, via our special link, TSB* gives accepted switchers to its Classic Plus account a free £100 (go direct you get nowt). You'll also get 5% cashback on the first £100 of contactless debit card spending a month (so a free fiver each month for most) until Sep 2017, and interest of 5% on balances up to £2,000 - though this drops to 3% from January.

To get the switching bonus, you need to apply for the account by 11 Dec 2016, and fully switch to it using TSB's switching service by 30 December. You'll also need to switch at least two direct debits (which must still be active for at least 28 days after the switch completes), and pay in at least £500 in the first 28 days from switching.

You can find the rest of the need to know information via the above link.

If you have any issues with your switch, call TSB's Switcher Team on 0345 835 7838.

If you're still struggling, you can post on this thread, below, or reach us via direct email on: voucherhelp@moneysavingexpert.com
    MSE Ryan

User Relations Manager
Page 3
    • phillw
    • By phillw 9th May 17, 12:13 PM
    • 588 Posts
    • 252 Thanks
    phillw
    I've set up a new TSB account (via the £125 link) however, I cant find the debit card for the account I want switching (not sure it can with one or is currently valid either). Will this stop / hinder the switching process which I haven't completed due to this ?
    Originally posted by Tyler Durden UK
    The entire switching process is driven by debit card number, so yes it will hinder it.

If you don't have the card then you may be able to get the number from online banking or by phoning the bank. The only reason there wouldn't be a valid card is if you don't have an account, which would definitely hinder a switch.
    • badger09
    • By badger09 9th May 17, 1:46 PM
    • 4,979 Posts
    • 4,177 Thanks
    badger09
    Not sure why you have resurrected this thread but, as you have ...

The entire switching process is driven by debit card number, so yes it will hinder it.
    Originally posted by phillw
    No it isn't, so no it won't.

If you don't have the card then you may be able to get the number from online banking or by phoning the bank.
    Can you see any debit card numbers in your online banking? If so, please say which bank shows this. I have accounts with most, but not all, of the major banks and none of them shows my debit card details.

The only reason there wouldn't be a valid card is if you don't have an account, which would definitely hinder a switch.
    Wrong again. I have several accounts which have never had a valid debit card, because I didn't need one so declined the card.

One such account has been switched, and another is currently in the switch process.
    • Marvo5
    • By Marvo5 16th May 17, 10:00 AM
    • 72 Posts
    • 71 Thanks
    Marvo5
    It's now been increased to £130 to switch, so best offer on the table.
    • Pmarmalade
    • By Pmarmalade 17th May 17, 12:43 PM
    • 141 Posts
    • 124 Thanks
    Pmarmalade
    Am I the only one who thinks they might fall short of 20 debit card transactions per month on some months?

I work out of town on an industrial estate and because of that, and for budgeting reasons, I just do a single food shop and top up with petrol once a week (8 transactions per month). Other than that it's just evenings out.

I'm sure I probably do more one-off purchases than I initially realise, but right now it looks like it might be an added hassle to check to always make sure I'm hitting this target every month and something I might forget.
    • badger09
    • By badger09 17th May 17, 1:05 PM
    • 4,979 Posts
    • 4,177 Thanks
    badger09
    Am I the only one who thinks they might fall short of 20 debit card transactions per month on some months?

I work out of town on an industrial estate and because of that, and for budgeting reasons, I just do a single food shop and top up with petrol once a week (8 transactions per month). Other than that it's just evenings out.

I'm sure I probably do more one-off purchases than I initially realise, but right now it looks like it might be an added hassle to check to always make sure I'm hitting this target every month and something I might forget.
    Originally posted by Pmarmalade
    Still a good deal even if you don't hit the 20 debit card transactions every month.

£5 instead of £10 (assuming you have 2 different DD payments every month etc) and 3% on up to £1500, with no monthly fee.
    • pollyanna24
    • By pollyanna24 17th May 17, 1:07 PM
    • 3,634 Posts
    • 4,271 Thanks
    pollyanna24
    Transfer all active credits and debits which must include a minimum of 2 active Direct Debits from your old account and close it. The Direct Debits must still be registered at least 28 days after the switch completes.

This is the paragraph that concerns me. I don't want to close my Nationwide account.

Does switching automatically close the account? What if I forget about a direct debit that I have set up on my old account and it bounces cos TSB has closed the account?
    Last edited by pollyanna24; 17-05-2017 at 1:12 PM.
    Pink Sproglettes born 2008 and 2010
    House Worth (approx) - £383,000
    Mortgages (3rd May 2017) - £184,179.38
    Equity - £198,820.62
    • GROSS+5
    • By GROSS+5 17th May 17, 3:09 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    GROSS+5
    I believe I conformed to all the rules when I switched from another bank to TSB via this site on 1 March this year but so far no cash incentive received. I went paperless online, have their debit card and several DDs on that account. What's going on?
    • badger09
    • By badger09 17th May 17, 3:51 PM
    • 4,979 Posts
    • 4,177 Thanks
    badger09
    Transfer all active credits and debits which must include a minimum of 2 active Direct Debits from your old account and close it. The Direct Debits must still be registered at least 28 days after the switch completes.

This is the paragraph that concerns me. I don't want to close my Nationwide account.

Does switching automatically close the account? What if I forget about a direct debit that I have set up on my old account and it bounces cos TSB has closed the account?
    Originally posted by pollyanna24
    The 7 day CASS (Current Account Switching Service) on which all these incentives rely, does indeed close your old (switched) account. In your scenario, the DD won't 'bounce' because it would automatically have been switched to TSB with your Nationwide account. Occasionally, there are hiccups, but the CASS guarantees the new bank will sort it, and cover any charges arising.

As you don't want to switch your Nationwide account, you could open another one, either with Nationwide or elsewhere, make sure it has the required DDs etc for the switch incentive, then switch that one to TSB.
    • badger09
    • By badger09 17th May 17, 3:53 PM
    • 4,979 Posts
    • 4,177 Thanks
    badger09
    I believe I conformed to all the rules when I switched from another bank to TSB via this site on 1 March this year but so far no cash incentive received. I went paperless online, have their debit card and several DDs on that account. What's going on?
    Originally posted by Michele Gross
    I don't know the T&C of the switch incentive from March, but if you are sure you have fulfilled all of them, and the time specified for payment of the incentive has passed, you should contact TSB.
    • positiveR
    • By positiveR 18th May 17, 10:22 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    positiveR
    Just opened the TSB via the newsletter link; online accepted and set-up in minutes. Switch (from co-op, only been there a month!) is due next Friday. How long before the bonus is paid?
    • Bluepurple123
    • By Bluepurple123 19th May 17, 2:52 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Bluepurple123
    Request to complete questionnaire for dissertation
    Hello everyone, I am currently in the middle of my dissertation, for my masters course in marketing. I would like to ask if you could complete my questionnaire. I am trying to find out which age groups of consumers respond to which type of promotions the most in supermarkets. You can of course skip some questions if you want, and the questionnaire should take around 5 minutes. I will be very grateful if you take part. Thank you. Please message me for the survey monkey link to my questionnaire.
    • geordiepaul2001
    • By geordiepaul2001 20th May 17, 10:28 AM
    • 287 Posts
    • 206 Thanks
    geordiepaul2001
    Hi,

It looks like the link only allows you to open the account in one name, I'm assuming this will prohibit me from switching my joint current account to TSB and receiving the cashback.

Is there any way around this?

Paul
    June 2016 - Pair of Brooks Glycerin 14's
    July 2016 - Annual family pass to English Heritage
    August 2016 - overnight spa break with dinner and breakfast for two
    September - BBQ toolbox
    • stclair
    • By stclair 20th May 17, 12:49 PM
    • 6,292 Posts
    • 3,356 Thanks
    stclair
    The incentive T&Cs can be viewed here for the May 2017 offer:

http://www.tsb.co.uk/cashback-money-supermarket-termsandconditions.pdf
    Last edited by stclair; 20-05-2017 at 12:55 PM.
    I Work For the RBS Group
    However Any Opinion Given On MSE Is Strictly My Own
    • tharsos
    • By tharsos 25th May 17, 8:02 PM
    • 33 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    tharsos
    Regarding two DDs, is it fine to have one to a utility company and another to my own Tesco saver account to quality for the deal?
    • rosfk
    • By rosfk 28th May 17, 1:15 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    rosfk
    Won't let me choose a branch to complete!
    I was in the middle of applying for the switch but it says i have to choose a branch to assign my account to. I have tried and tried, but it keeps coming up error and not letting me complete. Has anyone else had this? I've tried selecting a different branch, sticking with the one they've suggested, searching for different towns and nothing will take me past this page. It's 1.15am and I've been trying this for over an hour
    • stclair
    • By stclair 28th May 17, 10:57 AM
    • 6,292 Posts
    • 3,356 Thanks
    stclair
    Does anyone know the cut off date to enable you to get the £5.00 incentive for debit card transactions each month.
    I Work For the RBS Group
    However Any Opinion Given On MSE Is Strictly My Own
    • krippo
    • By krippo 4th Jun 17, 7:56 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    krippo
    Bank Switching TSB/Query
    Hi guys!

Currently I am having a bank account with TSB, but I was thinking to move somewhere else to get a cashback, however TSB has the best offer on the market IMHO.

Do you think if I call them and told them I want to leave, they can offer me something like for example telecoms?

Best regards
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 5th Jun 17, 12:46 AM
    • 4,791 Posts
    • 4,521 Thanks
    eskbanker
    Do you think if I call them and told them I want to leave, they can offer me something like for example telecoms?
    Originally posted by krippo
    Nothing to stop you asking but very unlikely that they'd offer anything in my opinion. Many organisations are able and willing to offer retention incentives, even including banks sometimes when it comes to discretionary 0% or reduced APR offers on credit cards, but generally banks won't be in a position to bend rules when it comes to products like current accounts with universal fixed published Ts & Cs.

Looking at it from their perspective, why would they want to keep you, i.e. how much money are they making from you? Or are you a believer in old-fashioned loyalty (in which case don't get your hopes up that they feel the same!)?
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 5th Jun 17, 8:19 AM
    • 1,145 Posts
    • 987 Thanks
    EachPenny
    ...but generally banks won't be in a position to bend rules when it comes to products like current accounts with universal fixed published Ts & Cs.
    Originally posted by eskbanker
    It's often difficult just getting them to provide what they have already offered in the T&C's - so I think the chances of you getting anything over and above the T&C's on a current account are slim krippo. Still might be worth asking the question though.

Let us know how you get on.

You also don't have to limit yourself to one current account, you can have more than one and distribute transactions around them to maximise the benefits. For example you could stick with TSB but open a Santander account to get cashback on certain DD's.
    Last edited by EachPenny; 05-06-2017 at 8:23 AM.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
    • adindas
    • By adindas 5th Jun 17, 11:39 AM
    • 3,136 Posts
    • 1,496 Thanks
    adindas
    Hi guys!

Currently I am having a bank account with TSB, but I was thinking to move somewhere else to get a cashback, however TSB has the best offer on the market IMHO.

Best regards
    Originally posted by krippo
    As said by other people you could always try your luck although in this particular case your chance is quite slim.

If you search on this forum, in the past people were getting about £20-£50 incentive when threatening to leave Barclay due to bad publicity at that time on the press regarding Libor rigging (?) with Barclay. People were using the excuse about dealing with unethical bank, etc.

So try to find a good reason like people did with Barclay. IF you decide to try please inform the forum how you are getting on so people could learn from your case.
    Last edited by adindas; 05-06-2017 at 11:50 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

855Posts Today

7,056Users online

Martin's Twitter