Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Megan F
    • By MSE Megan F 26th Jul 16, 10:03 PM
    • 149Posts
    • 52Thanks
    MSE Megan F
    NHS worker since 1999? Are you due £1,000s of tax back
    • 26th Jul 16, 10:03 PM
    NHS worker since 1999? Are you due £1,000s of tax back 26th Jul 16 at 10:03 PM

Hi all,

We've written a new NHS tax reclaim guide and would love your feedback.

How did you find the info? Was it useful? Do you have any other tips you'd add?

Thanks for your help!

MSE Faye

Follow the Forum on Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    New forum user? Watch our New to the Forum? Youtube guide
    Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Page 3
    • butterfly72
    • By butterfly72 10th Dec 16, 10:25 PM
    • 1,194 Posts
    • 1,129 Thanks
    butterfly72
    Oh my word, there are some big rebates here - even for just one year courses!! I have 3 years secondment and 1 year DN training to claim. I'm going to try HR again Monday morning and if they're still dragging their heels, just apply for this myself. Which guidelines did everyone use to claim independently? Ta.
    Saving towards my house deposit
    Spending on my passions - dressage & eventing
    Selling my unused stuff - £70.60 so far
    • fd233
    • By fd233 12th Dec 16, 7:55 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    fd233
    No rebate
    Hi,

I was employed by a third party provider i.e. an organisation that was contracted to do NHS work. My training was funded by health education england and I paid tax and NI. The people on my course who were employed directly by the NHS to do exactly the same course and job as me get a refund but I have told I cannot because I was not an NHS employee. Is this correct? It seems like an odd rule?
    • yllop1101
    • By yllop1101 16th Dec 16, 8:34 AM
    • 59 Posts
    • 64 Thanks
    yllop1101
    I completed a 1 year course at university as part of my employment contract in the NHS. I no longer work for the NHS, however I applied to HMRC for a refund, and was told:

'the responsibility to correct any overpaid tax and NICs for tax years 2013 onwards is with the NHS trust that you completed your training with...... If your employer confirms that you meet the necessary conditions they will need to make an adjustment to correct your tax and NICs contributions through their payroll'.

In my letter this link was referred to: https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manual ... l/eim06237 stating:

'if you believe you satisfy the conditions of the Statement of Practice 4/86 (https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manual ... l/eim06237) and are entitled to a refund, then please contact your employer.

Reading through the above, I'm not sure that it's the same as the WATS policies, as if the ceiling is £15,480 then how have others managed to claim their tax and NI back? They see that any more than the above amount suggests it's not a scholarship and 'in consequence the payments are likely to be earnings from the employment and should be taxed in full.'

It all seems inconsistent to me.....

Is the above link applicable/in line with the WATs?
    • mollybob
    • By mollybob 14th Jan 17, 8:00 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    mollybob
    Does anyone know if the Midwifery conversion course is eligable? I was paid an E grade staff nurse and did the 18 month degree course paid by a consortium of trusts- so techically employed but in training.
    • niknak2308
    • By niknak2308 18th Jan 17, 3:35 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    niknak2308
    GOOD NEWS for those claiming Tax Credits whilst on the scheme!

Just got off the phone from Tax Office asking if it's worth me applying for the refund as I didn't want to have to repay the Tax Credits (my course is approved by my employer and colleagues have already received payments). I was told that I needed to clarify with Tax Credits instead so spoke to a very helpful person there who said:

If you are employed, (eg paying a pension) by your employer, and they confirm you're eligible, then you can submit a claim for a refund for both Tax and NI as you still count as "working" even if you're "training how to do the job whilst on the scheme". He also said that your eligibility for Tax Credits is based on your gross earnings for the year (before tax and NI deductions), so even if you got some Tax or NI back, it doesn't mean you've "earned" more or have more money than the max figure they have already, therefore, it won't affect what you've been paid. He was adamant it wouldn't be affected so I thought I'd pass it onto you all as I know how worrying it all is.

PS RE current wait times: NI claims take approx 4 weeks from receipt, and Tax about 7 weeks at the moment.
    • tasmanlady
    • By tasmanlady 19th Jan 17, 10:59 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    tasmanlady
    Waitng times
    I was advised by HMRC on 16.1.17 that they have to advise you of any rebates due within 15 days of receiving the claim. The NI rebates then have to be paid 4 weeks from the date they work out the payments and the tax within 6 weeks. However, I don't know anyone that has had confirmation/payments that quickly. I was advised that it is dealt with by a dedicated Widening Access Team who have my details but haven't done any calculations as they are inundated.
    • Loulou70
    • By Loulou70 20th Jan 17, 7:12 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Loulou70
    My experience was swift from sending in my own evidence as trust no longer exists. Evidence received 15th December 16 - informed about rebate for NI 11th Jan - cheque received yesterday. Info in letter received 11th Jan stated tax being calculated ��
    • JohnWratten
    • By JohnWratten 20th Jan 17, 11:36 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    JohnWratten
    Hi

I trained 2000-2003. I applied for a Tax and NI Contribution refund, but have been told by HMRC that there is a 4 year cut off date for all refunds. Any advice please?

Thanks
    • Loulou70
    • By Loulou70 20th Jan 17, 6:31 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Loulou70
    My training claim was 2010 which is more then 6 years and I have been refunded. my understanding is that you can claim back to 1999 As this is when the WAT scheme started.
    • Tom Hes
    • By Tom Hes 23rd Jan 17, 6:50 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Tom Hes
    Does anyone know if this would apply to the 'NHS BURSARIES FOR STUDENTS ON 5 YEAR MEDICAL OR DENTAL COURSES'
    as I still have a massive student loan and this would really help?!
    • JohnWratten
    • By JohnWratten 24th Jan 17, 11:58 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    JohnWratten
    Quick update: it looks like my claim is pending, so I'll update here when I have a definitive answer- one way or the other.

🙏
    • Loulou70
    • By Loulou70 24th Jan 17, 9:25 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Loulou70
    did you receive a bursery/student loan as a undergraduate or were you paid a training wage taking you over the threshold for tax and insurance ?
    May need to ring hmrc to ask if you qualify Tom Hes
    • Carlyth
    • By Carlyth 24th Jan 17, 10:24 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Carlyth
    Still waiting to hear about my refund. Filled out the appropriate forms given by my trust in November and sent them back. Haven't heard anything yet. I was told there is a 10 week wait
    • Dennie39
    • By Dennie39 30th Jan 17, 1:50 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Dennie39
    Hi, I have been employed by an NHS trust for the last 7 and a half years, I did a Foundation Degree Course whilst working as a Band 3 but was classed as a full time student. I am now a band 4 doing a Work Based Learning Degree in Adult Nursing (BsC), also classed as a full time student. Would I be able to claim these refunds ?
    • Rachelg88
    • By Rachelg88 9th Feb 17, 5:19 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Rachelg88
    Scphn course full time. Am i due tax
    Hi

Anyone claimed tax back for scphn course full time over a year.

I have to apply through my trust due to being after 2013(2015-2016). But i was on 25k not 15k which the guidnace stares. So just wondering if i can still claim.

Thanks
    • Pen11
    • By Pen11 17th Feb 17, 12:27 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Pen11
    Did you get anywhere with this? We TUPE transferred to our local authority and despite still being funded by HEE and paying NHS pensions, we have been told that it's a no for us because we are not NHS employee's!
    • Pen11
    • By Pen11 17th Feb 17, 12:29 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Pen11
    Gah it's not letting me edit. Not technological minded at all!

Has anyone who is no longer employeed by an NHS trust managed to claim? We were tupe transfered and I have to admit, it sticks in my throat that a year ago we would have received it, but now we can't!
    • butterfly72
    • By butterfly72 22nd Feb 17, 8:23 PM
    • 1,194 Posts
    • 1,129 Thanks
    butterfly72
    So...I've had a letter from HMRC regarding a refund of NI. I didn't actually request this as I'd decided to not claim NI as not to lose years. Anyway, the total refund is £645 for a 3 year course. I've just added up the NI contributions from my payslips and they add upto £3200! A massive difference.
    I think a call to HMRC and my trust is due tomorrow.
    Saving towards my house deposit
    Spending on my passions - dressage & eventing
    Selling my unused stuff - £70.60 so far
    • elaine_88
    • By elaine_88 25th Feb 17, 10:12 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    elaine_88
    Its money ive paid in
    LOL, it will be you, me, and everyone else whose tax is paid into the "system" who will be funding this

it will doubtless be a vain hope that those promoting this loophole are not on a % based "commission" from the the amounts recovered from us, the taxpayers

and yes I accept that is a circular argument if you are an NHS employee, but then "you" have "never had it so good"
    Originally posted by booksurr
    HANG ON!! It's money I have already paid to HMRC and I want it back. Ok we all pay into the NHS thriugh our NI but surely the whole point of doing these teaining courses is to improve our knowledge thereby improving the service and treatment you receive through the NHS. That is all paid for with your NI. We have to have some incentive to doing these courses.
    • elaine_88
    • By elaine_88 25th Feb 17, 10:15 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    elaine_88
    Hi, I have been employed by an NHS trust for the last 7 and a half years, I did a Foundation Degree Course whilst working as a Band 3 but was classed as a full time student. I am now a band 4 doing a Work Based Learning Degree in Adult Nursing (BsC), also classed as a full time student. Would I be able to claim these refunds ?
    Originally posted by Dennie39
    There are lots of people in your circumstances in our trust who have had pay outs so Id apply if I were you
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,436Posts Today

8,468Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I'm at the start of make up for the new character I'm doing today for my ITV show. Any guesses (no it's not Philip? https://t.co/uiuEPkGzId

• Thank you for covering the story - but also can i say - what a great name for the editor of Money Marketing! https://t.co/UcvQduTeJL

• Hurrah! The ASA's ruled against 2 fake Facebook ads using my image https://t.co/GvNrqDPOC5 tho Facebook still shows others

• Follow Martin