Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kimplus8
    • By kimplus8 2nd Jun 16, 9:38 AM
    • 593Posts
    • 1,891Thanks
    kimplus8
    Large single Parent Family getting Debt free
    • 2nd Jun 16, 9:38 AM
    Large single Parent Family getting Debt free 2nd Jun 16 at 9:38 AM
    Hi all,
    I'm kim Mumma to 8 beautiful babies.
    I have around 20k of debt excluding my Student loan and I want it all gone, I don't want to owe a single penny.
    I'm posting a SOA today and I need to get a car as mine has died and I need it to get the kids to 3 different childcare settings/school, busses are hourly so I either need a car or I will have to pay for wraparound care for 3 of my kids at a different setting to the others (lack of school places in my area also but all on waiting lists).
    I have a new starter to high school this year so dreading the uniform costs.
    I am supposed to get child support from the EX's but going through the process of CMS at the moment.
    thanks for looking at my diary xx
    Last edited by kimplus8; 07-09-2016 at 10:25 PM. Reason: updating
Page 3
    • kimplus8
    • By kimplus8 17th Jun 16, 10:48 PM
    • 593 Posts
    • 1,891 Thanks
    kimplus8
    Much better day today, I lost my purse which was pants but it meant apart from the change in my bag I couldn't spend anything, I went to my scan and my beautiful, clever baby boy has put on weight and is 3.5 lbs which means he's doing so much better and I won't need to be induced. I was so scared of having a prem but he's Chubbing out nicely. He was putting his whole fist in his mouth today and blowing fluid out of his mouth- clever boy!!
    As I had no wallet I bussed it to mother are and collected the carrycot and bypassed the sales to come home again- not forgetting a free payg sim for the kids. Their dad wants to call them so I've got them a sim for an old phone and I will top up with a 5er every few months so they have it for emergencies and to call me on way home etc. I've now sacked my daughters contract and shaved 10 off my mobile bill each month! She drove me crazy on it anyways and tbh can connect free to the wifi at home to chat to friends etc.
    Got a free lunch today too as I found a m and s voucher with 5 on it so used it to get a sarnie meal deal on way home- score!!!
    Who says life on the tightened purse strings has to be boring!?
    Hope everyone is ready for a nice weekend- we've got the school fete and granny visiting this weekend so hopefully should be fun! Xx
    Single Momma, Member of 1000 Emergency fund Club Check out my Debt Free Diary
    • kimplus8
    • By kimplus8 17th Jun 16, 10:51 PM
    • 593 Posts
    • 1,891 Thanks
    kimplus8
    And I found my purse xx the kids had hidden it- little monkeys!!
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 18th Jun 16, 11:01 AM
    • 2,382 Posts
    • 3,956 Thanks
    Smodlet
    Good morning Kim.

One day, when all the dust has settled and number 8 is in school, if not before, how about writing a book? I reckon you could have quite a few inside you (number 8 is probably reading one right now )

Just a thought... you sound so upbeat, you're doing great and are an inspiration to many, I think.
    Last edited by Smodlet; 18-06-2016 at 11:23 AM.
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 18th Jun 16, 1:11 PM
    • 3,431 Posts
    • 5,753 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    Just saw your other thread so subscribed to diary. Glad you finding budgeting is working OK for you. Games nights with that many kids must be fun.
    Debt and mortgage free and saving for early retirement
    • kimplus8
    • By kimplus8 18th Jun 16, 9:26 PM
    • 593 Posts
    • 1,891 Thanks
    kimplus8
    Had a lovely day with the kids today and managed to get 3 loads of washing done as it was so sunny and windy! Plus Ive gone all terries on the kids nappies now, the 2 littl'es are in nappies so smallest dd is in them full time and second to smallest dd is in night nappies only as she is in pants in the day.
    this should save me a small fortune plus they look super cute, pre-loved rthey worked out about 40 for everything I need so taking into account the cost of water, eleccy and powder should save me around 50 per month.
    The kids are not sleeping well at the moment as its so light so I'm getting very little sleep and I'm totally shattered.
    All I wanted to do tonight was order in a takeaway, I felt so tired and sick- I was totally spent, so they ended up with chicken nuggets and chips and peas from my freezer, not the finest of nutritious meals but its okay for a sat night treat and I didn't spend!
    Tomorrow I'm meeting my mum with the kids to get my daughters birthday presents and have a nice cuppa (mummys treat- she s so good to me), then we will be preparing for school and this weeks is sports week!!
    I love cheering mine on with a nice picnic and other mums! Its so magical seeing them grow up in to fine little people, they all love sports so should be a great day.
    I need to get my meal plan tweaked as the kids are getting sick of pasta, maybe if I change up the sauce they will feel differently.
    I'm also getting huge, wee man is doing great and has doubled his weight almost so wont be having him early thankfully. Just 8 weeks to go until he is here. I cant wait to see his chubby wee face for real.
    I'm almost set on his name now too.
    I need to get into bed as I'm so tired but hope to catch up with everyone soon x
    k+8 xx
    Last edited by kimplus8; 18-06-2016 at 9:29 PM.
    • milasavesmoney
    • By milasavesmoney 18th Jun 16, 10:40 PM
    • 1,674 Posts
    • 13,703 Thanks
    milasavesmoney
    Freezer meal, the lifeblood of a large family!! Well done! (Peas are green and count as nutritious food )

Your mom sounds wonderful. Support is just so essential to our emotional wellbeing. I'm glad you have her!
    "Until God opens the next door, praise Him in the hallway." Kelly Wahlquist
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 19th Jun 16, 4:09 AM
    • 2,382 Posts
    • 3,956 Thanks
    Smodlet
    Hope you feel better today and that you slept well, k+8. Have fun with your mum. So glad you have her support. And well done on the terries! I know what a boon disposable nappies must be but look what have they done to the planet! Plus, of course terries have to be much cheaper. Sorry, forgot where I was for a moment.
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 19th Jun 16, 4:32 AM
    • 2,382 Posts
    • 3,956 Thanks
    Smodlet
    K+8, hope you won't mind this aside to Mila?

Hi Mila! At least someone on here at this ungodly hour is not an insomniac. What time is it there, around 8:30 p.m?
    • milasavesmoney
    • By milasavesmoney 19th Jun 16, 3:49 PM
    • 1,674 Posts
    • 13,703 Thanks
    milasavesmoney
    K+8, hope you won't mind this aside to Mila?

Hi Mila! At least someone on here at this ungodly hour is not an insomniac. What time is it there, around 8:30 p.m?
    Originally posted by Smodlet
    Hi back! (And to K8 )

That's close, it would be 7:30 pm. Six hour difference and many nights I'm up too!
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 19th Jun 16, 3:52 PM
    • 2,382 Posts
    • 3,956 Thanks
    Smodlet
    I guess it's good morning where you are, then, Mila! Likewise howdy!
    • kimplus8
    • By kimplus8 19th Jun 16, 6:25 PM
    • 593 Posts
    • 1,891 Thanks
    kimplus8
    Another good day, we met up with the kids dad today and they gave him his cards they had so tenderly made and his box of posh tea bags ( which I bought last week half price ) and we got a few groceries and came home. I've being kon Marie-ing today too, shredding all my old paperwork and filing debt stuff and what I've paid off, I've gotten 3 huge boxes of paperwork down to 1 small ish box of files! Damn that brought me some joy!!
    Ironing time in a bit- got uniforms to do for the week and planning to do for the week too.
    I've got 3 binbags and 2 boxes full of charity shop stuff, mostly stuff that I can't shift on eBay or Facebook like old bedding and table cloths that someone gave me and old baby clothes that I kept from my girls but having a boy so they need to go. I don't mind him being in pink blankets and having pink sheets but I draw the line at flowery dresses etc. Lol
    I'm feeling really accomplished and happy just now and ready to take on anything!
    When life gives you lemons it's time to make some lemon iced tea!
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 19th Jun 16, 6:35 PM
    • 2,382 Posts
    • 3,956 Thanks
    Smodlet
    Hi Kim,

Pleased you are sounding so much better, hope that is how you feel and that you managed to get a good sleep. I've been awake since 01:30 a.m. hence the trans-Atlantic wave

Well done on the de-cluttering. Hope it was not too stressful seeing the kids' father today.
    • mum2one
    • By mum2one 20th Jun 16, 12:57 AM
    • 16,106 Posts
    • 59,860 Thanks
    mum2one
    Sounds like youve had a good day, sounds like your going great guns. xx
    17 crafts in 2017 = 0/17
    Sisters legacy -50 charitable acts 30/50
    Tackling the debt free life one day at a time xx
    RIP Dad, - Always love you, - He was 1 in a million xx
    • kimplus8
    • By kimplus8 23rd Jun 16, 3:24 AM
    • 593 Posts
    • 1,891 Thanks
    kimplus8
    Shattered today but got loads done anyway-
    My son is really struggling at the moment so having to spend lots of time reassuring him and helping him with confidence.
    NSD except for headlice comb as ours broke and we've had letters home again to say it's doing the rounds.
    Had freezer meal for dinner and made pasta for kids lunches tomorrow. Just got to chop some carrot sticks in the morning and they are good to go.
    Need to look seriously at cars this week as I'm struggling to ferry around on the bus now. Hopefully something will come up.
    Baby is soooooo active tonight I can't sleep and I went to bed at 7 pm, lol I was so tired I literally crawled up the stairs to bed lol
    • kimplus8
    • By kimplus8 23rd Jun 16, 7:44 PM
    • 593 Posts
    • 1,891 Thanks
    kimplus8
    Bad day today,
    got nursery bill and it's eye watering but it's the last one as I'm on may leave now so they won't be going again until sept when they get free 15 hours.
    Paid for daughters school leavers thingy- was 9 entrance to theme park 19 for the limo and then extra for Pizza Hut
    Sorted out school uniforms so have to pay for that tomorrow and then have to arrange home visit for my sons induction into foundation, I can't believe he's almost 5
    I need new bedding, mine is thread bare as I've had it so long so ordered a new quilt cover and pillow cases from Argos, cheap and cheerful but will do the job better than my worn out set from primark.
    I just got letter from csa to say they are 'looking into' my claim as it appears my ex owes money and as I've auctioned a CMS claim it's raised the debt from the csa. I called them as it's the first claim I've made and it's apparently owed to someone else- so must be his ex before me for his eldest kids who are now in their 20's!!!!
    Went to a free energy saving session at my children's centre today and they were giving away free energy monitors to monitor electricity usage. I'm so excited about setting this up tonight but a bit worried I'll become really OCD about it! Lol
    Kids also had eye tests today and my dd has better eyesight than last year which is fantastic news! The bad news is both her and my ds have new prescriptions and I have to pay extra for their lenses so that's 70 gone.
    Eldest daughters and youngest daughters booked for next week so hopefully they won't need any and then dentist too next week!
    I'm bleddy shattered from ferrying them about getting to appointments.
    I fancy a glass of wine but I'm 8 months pregnant and skint so that's not going to happen, plus I'm usually tee total so not sure why I'm craving wine
    • milasavesmoney
    • By milasavesmoney 23rd Jun 16, 8:18 PM
    • 1,674 Posts
    • 13,703 Thanks
    milasavesmoney
    Just a thought but do schools in the UK have a sliding scale for such school outings?
    • kimplus8
    • By kimplus8 23rd Jun 16, 8:21 PM
    • 593 Posts
    • 1,891 Thanks
    kimplus8
    I have heard on here that if it's in school time that the contribution is voluntary bit as this is their 'treat' for leaving year 6 it's not part of the curriculum and has to be paid for. :-(
    • mum2one
    • By mum2one 23rd Jun 16, 9:41 PM
    • 16,106 Posts
    • 59,860 Thanks
    mum2one
    Sorry to ask r the children that went for the eye tests school age, know my dd goes every 6 mths all I pay is 10 for the thinner lenses .

The school trip as its not curriculum ur liable for the costs, if it's school based they can ask for voluntary contributions xx
    17 crafts in 2017 = 0/17
    Sisters legacy -50 charitable acts 30/50
    Tackling the debt free life one day at a time xx
    RIP Dad, - Always love you, - He was 1 in a million xx
    • kimplus8
    • By kimplus8 24th Jun 16, 12:18 AM
    • 593 Posts
    • 1,891 Thanks
    kimplus8
    Sorry to ask r the children that went for the eye tests school age, know my dd goes every 6 mths all I pay is 10 for the thinner lenses .

The school trip as its not curriculum ur liable for the costs, if it's school based they can ask for voluntary contributions xx
    Originally posted by mum2one
    Yeah they are both school age, 8 and 9 year old. I thought this was cheap last time it was 80 a pair because I got the flexible frames.
    I think if I had got the free nhs frame it would have cost nothing but nice past experience they break really easily so I asked for the more 'plastic' rather than thin metal tin foil frames. I had to upgrade the lense for this to 35 a pair.
    If they last then it's money well spent, 2 years ago we went for the free frames and both pairs broke wishing 12 weeks so I had to either pay to repair or replace at my cost. tbh school are not great at making sure they are not messed with or left about, my daughter is great but my son has additional needs and he can go through 2/3 pairs a year if school don't remind him to put them in his tray at break time
    • tori.k
    • By tori.k 24th Jun 16, 9:14 AM
    • 2,646 Posts
    • 5,863 Thanks
    tori.k
    Yeah they are both school age, 8 and 9 year old. I thought this was cheap last time it was 80 a pair because I got the flexible frames.
    I think if I had got the free nhs frame it would have cost nothing but nice past experience they break really easily so I asked for the more 'plastic' rather than thin metal tin foil frames. I had to upgrade the lense for this to 35 a pair.
    If they last then it's money well spent, 2 years ago we went for the free frames and both pairs broke wishing 12 weeks so I had to either pay to repair or replace at my cost. tbh school are not great at making sure they are not messed with or left about, my daughter is great but my son has additional needs and he can go through 2/3 pairs a year if school don't remind him to put them in his tray at break time
    Originally posted by kimplus8
    Probably be worth asking the optician, if your Son has documented additional needs (get this from the school) As our youngest lad was very heavy handed with his glasses new glasses every 6 weeks if we were lucky but specsavers would repair/replace like for like without charge so only had to pay to have the first pair lenses thinned he did have the higher NHS prescription but never had DLA or any benefits connected.
    Debit to Credit (stage 1) 3652.34 completed 15/10/16
    Debit to Credit (stage 2) 6304.28
    RF /4160
    FD / 6200
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,486Posts Today

8,245Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Beware the hidden £1,000s parents aren't told they must pay for University fees. My new FT column https://t.co/gDOyZDMCr9 (free to read) RT

• Who do you think came out best in the Corbyn v May battle tonight?

• Clever by Paxman; subtly testing out "strong & stable" by focusing on u-turns on Brexit view, social care, self employed tax & election date

• Follow Martin