Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kimplus8
    • By kimplus8 2nd Jun 16, 9:38 AM
    • 593Posts
    • 1,891Thanks
    kimplus8
    Large single Parent Family getting Debt free
    • 2nd Jun 16, 9:38 AM
    Large single Parent Family getting Debt free 2nd Jun 16 at 9:38 AM
    Hi all,
    I'm kim Mumma to 8 beautiful babies.
    I have around 20k of debt excluding my Student loan and I want it all gone, I don't want to owe a single penny.
    I'm posting a SOA today and I need to get a car as mine has died and I need it to get the kids to 3 different childcare settings/school, busses are hourly so I either need a car or I will have to pay for wraparound care for 3 of my kids at a different setting to the others (lack of school places in my area also but all on waiting lists).
    I have a new starter to high school this year so dreading the uniform costs.
    I am supposed to get child support from the EX's but going through the process of CMS at the moment.
    thanks for looking at my diary xx
    Last edited by kimplus8; 07-09-2016 at 10:25 PM. Reason: updating
Page 2
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 10th Jun 16, 8:20 PM
    • 19,293 Posts
    • 31,149 Thanks
    Spendless
    Are you not entitled to free school meals? On your income, I would have thought that you would not have to pay for school meals.
    https://www.myfreeschoolmeals.com/eligibility
    Originally posted by cte1111
    I think that she may get working tax credits so wouldn't qualify.
    From the link provided

Free School Meals are available to any full-time student who is still at school and eligible. This includes nursery children who attend full days and also sixth form students. From September 2014, parents and carers with pupils aged 16-18 in Further Education can apply for free school meals. You can get Free School Meals for your child if you or your partner gets either:
    Universal Credit.
    Income Support.
    Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
    Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
    Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
    The Guarantee element of State Pension Credit
    Child Tax Credit, provided they are not entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual income of 16,190 or less, as assessed by Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs
    Where a parent is entitled to Working Tax Credit during the four-week period immediately after their employment ceases, or after they start to work less than 16 hours per week, their children are entitled to free school lunches. Children who receive a qualifying benefit in their own right are also eligible to receive Free School Meals.
    • kimplus8
    • By kimplus8 10th Jun 16, 8:28 PM
    • 593 Posts
    • 1,891 Thanks
    kimplus8
    I think that she may get working tax credits so wouldn't qualify.
    From the link provided

Free School Meals are available to any full-time student who is still at school and eligible. This includes nursery children who attend full days and also sixth form students. From September 2014, parents and carers with pupils aged 16-18 in Further Education can apply for free school meals. You can get Free School Meals for your child if you or your partner gets either:
    Universal Credit.
    Income Support.
    Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
    Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
    Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
    The Guarantee element of State Pension Credit
    Child Tax Credit, provided they are not entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual income of 16,190 or less, as assessed by Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs
    Where a parent is entitled to Working Tax Credit during the four-week period immediately after their employment ceases, or after they start to work less than 16 hours per week, their children are entitled to free school lunches. Children who receive a qualifying benefit in their own right are also eligible to receive Free School Meals.
    Originally posted by Spendless
    I do indeed get Working Tax Credits so am exempt from free school meals.
    Single Momma, Member of 1000 Emergency fund Club Check out my Debt Free Diary
    • Kittencat
    • By Kittencat 10th Jun 16, 8:32 PM
    • 612 Posts
    • 3,800 Thanks
    Kittencat
    Just a quick Hello Kim.

You are heading in the right direction. Keep focused and keep giving those lovely kids of yours lots of hugs and kisses.

Xxx
    • cte1111
    • By cte1111 10th Jun 16, 9:03 PM
    • 7,032 Posts
    • 367,114 Thanks
    cte1111
    I do indeed get Working Tax Credits so am exempt from free school meals.
    Originally posted by kimplus8
    That's tough, would have thought big families with low incomes would be exactly the sort of children who should benefit from free school meals.
    • Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 10th Jun 16, 9:46 PM
    • 10,555 Posts
    • 67,859 Thanks
    Bobarella
    Good for you cutting the boys hair yourself. My husband does his and our sons and mine actually! Ok my hair looks a bit choppy but I wear it up all the time anyway. I think we save around 400 a year just doing that.
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe"

Debt neutral 27/03/17 from 40k in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 53.62 2016-62.28 2015- 84.20)
    RYSAW17 1805.58 2016 2,535.16 2015 1027.20
    • kimplus8
    • By kimplus8 11th Jun 16, 6:49 PM
    • 593 Posts
    • 1,891 Thanks
    kimplus8
    Just batch made 30 Sandwhiches for the next 2 weeks of lunches and slice and wrapped all the leftover birthday cake for pack lunches too, only 2 days worth but then I can make on Tuesday for the rest of the week. Now all stacked up nicely in the freezer.
    Had a lovely time today playing footy with the kids and we are looking forward to a nice family day out tomorrow for the queens birthday party
    Last edited by kimplus8; 11-06-2016 at 9:29 PM.
    • Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 11th Jun 16, 9:10 PM
    • 10,555 Posts
    • 67,859 Thanks
    Bobarella
    Wow that is a lot of sandwiches. Well done you! Hope the weather is ok tommorow. Its been really wet here.

• kimplus8
    • By kimplus8 12th Jun 16, 8:58 AM
    • 593 Posts
    • 1,891 Thanks
    kimplus8
    It's raining- bleugh!!! Not sure it's worth the 15 in bus fair to watch a brass band in the rain, I suppose it is a quintessentially English day to celebrate HRH turning 90.
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 12th Jun 16, 1:53 PM
    • 19,293 Posts
    • 31,149 Thanks
    Spendless
    Hope the weather cleared up. 15 in bus fares. They're expensive I know, I once travelled 40 miles on a train with 2 kids for less than it cost me to take a bus ride to the other side of town and back! How do the fares work where you are. You don't pay for under 5s (no idea if this is national policy) and then single child fares here are 70p per journey. For an adult you can get a day rider pass if it works out cheaper than the return fare.
    • kimplus8
    • By kimplus8 12th Jun 16, 7:02 PM
    • 593 Posts
    • 1,891 Thanks
    kimplus8
    Hope the weather cleared up. 15 in bus fares. They're expensive I know, I once travelled 40 miles on a train with 2 kids for less than it cost me to take a bus ride to the other side of town and back! How do the fares work where you are. You don't pay for under 5s (no idea if this is national policy) and then single child fares here are 70p per journey. For an adult you can get a day rider pass if it works out cheaper than the return fare.
    Originally posted by Spendless
    Bus fair has gone up It was 16.50 as it was 10 for a family ticket which covered 1 adult and 3 kids and you are only allowed 2 free travelling children per adult ticket so of the 3 that are under 5 I had to pay for 1 meaning I then had to but 2 child day passes too (a day pass was cheaper than a return journey). so 6.50 for the 2 day passes. Then we ate our packed lunch and watched the brass band and got an icecream once the sun came out, 1.80 each!!! WTF that's sooooooo expensive. so today cost us almost 30.
    next time I will learn from this and buy some cones from Tesco and pack some icecream in a coolbox and take it with us, even if half the box melts it will be considerably cheaper than buying icecreams there. I was going to take my little ones to a messy church session this week but we wont be able to go now as I have used up the budget for thisweek. At least that's a lesson learnt!
    It was lovely for the kids to see a real brass band though, even though it rained while they played 'mr blue skies' lol
    Happy Birthday HRH queen liz- it was a blast!!!
    I have had a really emotional day thinking lots about babys dad. I want to hate him, I want to get over what he did to me and how he has abandoned our son. Thankfully I have learnt some home truths about it and now I am feeling a little more prepared to do this alone.
    • KxMx
    • By KxMx 13th Jun 16, 12:46 PM
    • 6,970 Posts
    • 9,614 Thanks
    KxMx
    There are two things I've found are sold with a huge mark up... single bottles of water and single ice cream cones.

Even I as a sole customer of the supermarkets can get multipacks of both, top brands, full size, around the 25p mark (each single unit) when offers are on without trying hard.

4 packs of Cornetto are 1 in Tesco (special offer) at the moment, my last Evian was a 9 Pack for 2 from the Co-op, special pack size no visible price offer.

Imagine how little they are paying their suppliers!
    Last edited by KxMx; 13-06-2016 at 12:49 PM.
    • kimplus8
    • By kimplus8 14th Jun 16, 10:33 PM
    • 593 Posts
    • 1,891 Thanks
    kimplus8
    Had a fairly good day, attend my counselling session and saw the psychiatrist today and planned my care for once baby is born, medication and support network all in place so hopefully I won't get low at all but if I do it will be considerably less so than with my last 2 babies. I've been stuck in a space where I've been unable to get out of the darkness and worry surrounding my ex husband and ex boyfriend. I recently ( on MSE) discovered the konMarie decluttering method. I applied the 'does it bring me joy' rule to my clothes and clutter and today it dawned on me that I also need to apply it to all the people and emotional clutter in my life and o realised that neither of these men bring me joy- at all!!! Not even a teeny bit. I dislike who they are and what they do bring to my life is worry, stress and anxiety so I'm de- cluttering them and all their emotional baggage from my life.
    Another NSD for me today and tomorrow I will only be buying my bus ticket otherwise it's a NSD tomorrow too.
    I have semi meal planned for next week and contacted 2 old creditors to get correct amounts for my dro.
    Getting there slowly but surely :-)
    • mum2one
    • By mum2one 15th Jun 16, 1:23 AM
    • 16,106 Posts
    • 59,860 Thanks
    mum2one
    Sounds like you have achieved a lot in a short time, def like the sound of the decluttering, - I'm slowly trying to work through the house, as guilty for keeping it as well as letting it go...

At least getting the support network in place - your covering all bases x
    17 crafts in 2017 = 0/17
    Sisters legacy -50 charitable acts 30/50
    Tackling the debt free life one day at a time xx
    RIP Dad, - Always love you, - He was 1 in a million xx
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 15th Jun 16, 7:20 PM
    • 2,382 Posts
    • 3,956 Thanks
    Smodlet
    Yay, K+8! Had no computer for weeks but what amazing progress you have already made. I know it's not my place but I am so proud of you, I so hope that does not come across as patronising; it is not meant to.

I meant it when I said I don't know how you do what you do, let alone do it any better but that is what MSE is for. I do not have any children but have been fascinated by all the tips about jellies/drinks etc. As for freezing sarnies, if it's good enough for the supermarkets... and at least you know what is in the ones you make, and the conditions in which they were made.

It is great that your children help out around the house, how many do these days? Our new neighbours, both early/mid twenties have not one clue between them, it seems. One borrowed a stanley knife and must have used it to stir paint with, from the state in which it was returned. OH gave it back to him, told him either to clean and return it in its original condition or buy him a new one. I bet your 4 year old has more common sense already than he. Far too many parents seem to think it is good parenting to teach their kids to be helpless/useless/thoughtless/rude and inconsiderate. I am willing to bet not one of yours is any of those things.

You may be on your own but, as so many others have said, you are doing an exceptionally good job and teaching your children skills they will use their whole lives. Best of luck and good news about the school places. Go, Kim, go!
    Last edited by Smodlet; 15-06-2016 at 10:19 PM.
    • ramblehan
    • By ramblehan 15th Jun 16, 7:39 PM
    • 396 Posts
    • 894 Thanks
    ramblehan
    I'm following. Sounds like you have achieved such a lot already.
    Good luck.
    LBM June 2015: 24025.75!
    The big bad three:22,034 8.8% down 91.2% to go:
    Tax savings: 400/1800
    'Very little is needed to make a happy life' Marcus Aurelius
    • milasavesmoney
    • By milasavesmoney 15th Jun 16, 9:02 PM
    • 1,674 Posts
    • 13,703 Thanks
    milasavesmoney
    I am subscribing and have really enjoyed reading the beginning of this new diary. If you can get the free school lunches that would save you so much time! Not to mention money. I hope that is something that works out for you.

We have six children and when I was pg with my last I had someone ask if I was Mormon.... No.
    Catholic? No. They then looked at me as though I was crazy. which of course is the feeling of quite a few people.

I wish I had not stopped at six. (Two were step children that I became mother to when they were quite young) I absolutely adore my amazing children and am so thankful every day that I have them!!!
    It takes a bit of doing but they are so very definitely worth the time and effort!

Having everyone help is essential and you have that system down already. Everyone of my children started washing their own clothes when they were twelve. They each had a day assigned. They all had rotating assigned house work etc. I took them all shopping with me and they helped out so much. We did not have the availability of delivery and it's a lot of work to shop for so many. They made it a joy to do. The older ones were given a list and would take a smaller one or two and go on a 'hunt' for the list items. The little ones had so much fun! I cooked from scratch and scoured sales to stock up on pantry/freezer items.

You seem like you have really wonderful children! I'm really hoping the schools get sorted out. One year I had children in five different schools. That was a hard year!

Going to free events and outings will keep them busy, happy and not only save your wallet but you mind as well.
    Last edited by milasavesmoney; 15-06-2016 at 9:07 PM.
    "Until God opens the next door, praise Him in the hallway." Kelly Wahlquist
    • kimplus8
    • By kimplus8 16th Jun 16, 8:58 PM
    • 593 Posts
    • 1,891 Thanks
    kimplus8
    Gosh ive had a really sh***y day. The school appeal was unsuccessful so DD will have to get the bus to high school and then just walk as shes been offered one that's not in our catchment, the nearest school is right close to us but she was 4 points short in the 11+ to get a place and got offered the other grammar school instead and despite everything she had to deal with over this last year, a glowing head teachers report stating that she is way above age related expectancy and evidence from her counsellor, camhs and the ed psych.
    I'm gutted for her as she really wanted to go to the local grammar school, but instead we will press on with getting her settled at the alternative and go from there. (she has chosen the local single sex school as the other grammar school is attend by the ex bf's daughter and she doesn't want any confrontation.
    Its a good thing for her to not have that worry I guess.
    She really is an incredible child and will be successful wherever she goes.
    I spent money today on bus fare and nursery so I could attend the appeal and that's also been a bitter pill to swallow.
    I don't want to spend any money these days, I hate it, and get a real 'owchie' moment because I am using cash for everything. It really is so different spending physical money as apposed to on the bank card. Its emotive and its making me think twice--- do I need it? can it wait till it goes on sale? its it a want rather than a need? are the 3 things I ask myself before purchasing something now.
    On a good note I went into mothercare today to see what carrycots will fit my pram, My particular model had maxi cosi fittings so can take a variety of carrycots and sadly I sold mine when my last baby out grew it, I wasn't planning on having any more
    when I spoke with the assistant she called over her manager as I was trying to try them out with a wriggly toddler in tow, she went away and came back with a brand new carrycot that had a small mark on the cover, The brand new ones were 150 and I was about to explain that I just wanted to see what ones fit (so I could buy a pre loved one) and she said 'weve had this out the back for months, it had a small mark and weve been unable to sell it, you can have it for 15!!
    I nearly cried!! what an amazing answer to my prayers!! even pre loved they were 30-40.
    I'm collecting it tomorrow, it just needs crib sheets which thankfully I have in my cupboard!
    NSD tomorrow apart from bus fare as I have my scan at the hospital to find out how squidgy is doing!!
    k+8xx
    • ramblehan
    • By ramblehan 16th Jun 16, 9:43 PM
    • 396 Posts
    • 894 Thanks
    ramblehan
    Top job!!! that's amazing, the world is full of lovely people if you are lucky enough to come across them!
    Sorry for your DD - it sounds like it will be a bit tough- you'll just have to believe that "it's for a reason" and it sounds like she will thrive where ever she is.
    LBM June 2015: 24025.75!
    The big bad three:22,034 8.8% down 91.2% to go:
    Tax savings: 400/1800
    'Very little is needed to make a happy life' Marcus Aurelius
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 17th Jun 16, 2:56 PM
    • 2,382 Posts
    • 3,956 Thanks
    Smodlet
    Hey, k+8, you hang in there. DD will be fine, she sounds as if her head is firmly screwed on, not that that is surprising with the wonderful mom she has.

There was only one choice of grammar school when I was but a sprog (boys had two) so it was either get on the bus and travel the three miles or go to the local, rough-as-guts comprehensive. Mine was the last stop the free bus picked up at as anyone living nearer was expected to get there under their own steam, so most of the girls had much further to travel than I.

I look forward to hearing how she is getting on, come September but she has the whole of the hols to look forward to, first, as do you.

I know what you mean about spending actual money, it's so much more painful than flashing the plastic but the best way of remaining aware of where it is all going.
    • Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 17th Jun 16, 10:18 PM
    • 10,555 Posts
    • 67,859 Thanks
    Bobarella
    Im so pleased about the carry cot thats great!

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,486Posts Today

8,245Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Beware the hidden £1,000s parents aren't told they must pay for University fees. My new FT column https://t.co/gDOyZDMCr9 (free to read) RT

• Who do you think came out best in the Corbyn v May battle tonight?

• Clever by Paxman; subtly testing out "strong & stable" by focusing on u-turns on Brexit view, social care, self employed tax & election date

• Follow Martin