Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • St.Exmin
    • By St.Exmin 5th Feb 16, 2:46 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 0Thanks
    St.Exmin
    Has anyone actually been taken to court for not paying NHS Penalty fines?
    • 5th Feb 16, 2:46 PM
    Has anyone actually been taken to court for not paying NHS Penalty fines? 5th Feb 16 at 2:46 PM
    I face a massive fine I can't pay because I ticked the box on my prescription saying I was eligible for free prescriptions. This is because I am on working tax credit and a very low income, and I asked the chemist if this meant I got free prescriptions (I was on benefits years ago, i forgot how it works with prescriptions). He said yes, and I ticked the box and got my free prescriptions (I have nerve damage).

Then I got a letter saying I was being fined (including what my prescriptions should have cost) £139. I realise, having tried to appeal unsuccessfully, that the onus is on me to read the form and know if I am eligible or not. Fair enough (not really as I've read a lot of accounts of this happening and by now chemists, dental nurses etc, should have been told that they shouldn't falsely tell someone they will be free, they should either have the right information or be told 'read the form, I cannot tell you, and if you get it wrong they'll fine you £100+) but the fine is so excessive I can't pay and feel it is unfairly massive, and don't want to pay.

You can tell me I am in the wrong if you like, and should pay. But my question is: has anyone actually been taken to court to recover the money? I've looked around the internet and can't find anyone who has. So what if I just don't pay, what will happen?

Thanks. Sorry if this isn't the right forum, I wasn't sure which one to post in.
Page 1
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 5th Feb 16, 10:09 PM
    • 19,285 Posts
    • 9,393 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 5th Feb 16, 10:09 PM
    • 5th Feb 16, 10:09 PM
    So what if I just don't pay, what will happen?
    Originally posted by St.Exmin
    You'll be taken to court and face an even larger bill to cover the additional court cost. What you did was fraudulent and should not be treated lightly.

If you genuinely cannot pay the fine in one go, then you should approach the agency which has issued the fine and arrange to pay in manageable instalments.

This won't just go away.
    • Mupette
    • By Mupette 14th May 17, 10:14 PM
    • 4,204 Posts
    • 6,913 Thanks
    Mupette
    • 14th May 17, 10:14 PM
    • 14th May 17, 10:14 PM
    As you have said the Onus is on you to read the forms.

Never rely on someone else...

GNU
    Terry Pratchett
    ((((Ripples))))

• Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 15th May 17, 1:07 PM
    • 19,285 Posts
    • 9,393 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 15th May 17, 1:07 PM
    • 15th May 17, 1:07 PM
    This thread was posted over a year ago...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

543Posts Today

5,006Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin