Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • chalkeyav
    • By chalkeyav 13th Apr 15, 9:30 AM
    • 13Posts
    • 6Thanks
    chalkeyav
    HMRC Repayment Pending
    • 13th Apr 15, 9:30 AM
    HMRC Repayment Pending 13th Apr 15 at 9:30 AM
    Hi All,

Done my tax return on the 6/4/15, checked the status on the 07th and it was showing bank repayment pending thought Ild phone up and see as this is the first time iv done my return myself.

Was told by advisor it would be issued the 10th but nothing as if today, am i being to hastey or should I give them a call again.

Iv seen a few things about security checks if anybody can possibly enlighten me on this or if anybody else has any previous experience.

Thanks
Page 77
    • MrMrsBrown
    • By MrMrsBrown 10th May 17, 7:11 AM
    • 27 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    MrMrsBrown
    Just to update. My husbands is still saying bank payment pending, he contacted them and they gave the date of 20th to deal with it. We are just going to see what happens now as we go on holiday on Sunday for 2 weeks, so will have no way to contact them until we return 28th but then we have another bank holiday.
    • Gstar1984
    • By Gstar1984 10th May 17, 9:29 AM
    • 21 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Gstar1984
    Our figures are well out 😬 I'm hoping I can do an amendment? Do you know if this is possible? Only reason I think tax hasn't been paid but been deducted , the person has been contacted as have asked for proof of 8months of tax paid but no reply so I think I'm going to have to speak to them and see if I can make an amendment to what I have proof for and explain I have asked for the proof but with no joy so to do it on what they have. It's right that if you pay 20% tax on this 1st 11,000 you are automatically due that back as it's tax free right? Can someone just confirm that for me before I re do it 😂 Thanks
    • embear
    • By embear 10th May 17, 10:11 AM
    • 21 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    embear
    From what our letter says, they said it's best not to do amendment online while it's under checks as it could flag up checks again and slow it even more down but instead when you send proof just put the adjusted figures in a letter as the can then do it for you. Yes the 1st 110000 is tax free. Maybe give them a call to double check if you can get through
    • embear
    • By embear 10th May 17, 10:46 AM
    • 21 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    embear
    From what our letter says, they said it's best not to do amendment online while it's under checks as it could flag up checks again and slow it even more down but instead when you send proof just put the adjusted figures in a letter as the can then do it for you. Yes the 1st 110000 is tax free. Maybe give them a call to double check if you can get through
    • Gstar1984
    • By Gstar1984 10th May 17, 12:00 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Gstar1984
    Thank you embear, still waiting on the letter 🙄 What does it ask you to send in? I will adjust it on a piece of paper and send it to them to be done then. I claimed back for phone bill, fuel and work related stuff but not sure I have receipts of all this but some i do have on bank statements so I think I may have to take a loss for 16/17 and keep all receipts this year. Hopefully will be dealt with ASAP . Good luck to us em as looks like it's only us too on here it's happened too
    • Gstar1984
    • By Gstar1984 10th May 17, 12:16 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Gstar1984
    Thank you embear, still waiting on the letter 🙄 What does it ask you to send in? I will adjust it on a piece of paper and send it to them to be done then. I claimed back for phone bill, fuel and work related stuff but not sure I have receipts of all this but some i do have on bank statements so I think I may have to take a loss for 16/17 and keep all receipts this year. Hopefully will be dealt with ASAP . Good luck to us em as looks like it's only us too on here it's happened too
    • embear
    • By embear 10th May 17, 12:29 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    embear
    They havnt asked for receipts but a break down of everything, and if you claim back for petrol you need to put mileage and names of sites if you are a sub contractor. It's just working out now the percentage of things. But we include phone bill, percentage of internet, work clothes including cost of cleaning them, insurance, public liability, tools etc
    • Gstar1984
    • By Gstar1984 10th May 17, 1:03 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Gstar1984
    Thank you em, ok so I know my figures are well out, so if I break it down and send it back and it's less than I originally put down which I know it will be as they've said how much it is and due to someone doesn't look like it's been paid into cis account so they will need looked at by tax office unfortunately if they've deducted 20% and haven't paid it into my tax account then they are liable for that missing money. Will they just amend payment from the figures I send them ? Thanks again youve been a big help
    • embear
    • By embear 10th May 17, 4:28 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    embear
    No problem, As far as I'm aware yes they will amend it all accordingly, you just have to explain why the original figures are different. We have all the tax statements to prove that it's come out for the year but the company he was subbing for either hasn't paid it all yet or hmrc system hasn't updated the payments properly. Such a pain, this has never happened before.
    • Gstar1984
    • By Gstar1984 10th May 17, 5:00 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Gstar1984
    Yeah I'll write them a letter explaining why figures are out, you get 2200 back straight away don't you as you automatically pay 20% on the 1st 11 grand at source so anything over that is your expenses I suppose? Asked for proof of all tax that's been paid from previously bloke worked for and hasn't got back to me so think it will be bank statements I send it if they will accept these as proof? Thanks again em 👍
    • Dazed and confused
    • By Dazed and confused 10th May 17, 5:55 PM
    • 1,287 Posts
    • 518 Thanks
    Dazed and confused
    What about class 2 and class 4 national insurance (and student loan?)
    • Gstar1984
    • By Gstar1984 10th May 17, 7:14 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Gstar1984
    Sorry dazed haven't a clue
    • Dazed and confused
    • By Dazed and confused 10th May 17, 7:29 PM
    • 1,287 Posts
    • 518 Thanks
    Dazed and confused
    What I meant was someone with a business who had profits of at least 11000 is going to have to pay class 2 and class 4 national insurance so even if they had paid 2200 tax they won't get all of that back.

One of the posters on this or the other similar thread realised they had claimed not to need to pay ni and when that was sorted their repayment was reduced quite a lot.
    • SteveS89
    • By SteveS89 10th May 17, 7:48 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    SteveS89
    Mine went down from 4.5k to 4k due to NI contributions, my issue is that for the last 2 years Self assessment has told me I don't owe any NI so I haven't had an option to pay anything, then this happens. My payment was issued yesterday though and I received it today.
    • Gstar1984
    • By Gstar1984 10th May 17, 8:27 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Gstar1984
    What % is NI calculated at? Thanks all
    • SteveS89
    • By SteveS89 10th May 17, 8:40 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    SteveS89
    Class 2 is 2.80 per week then class 4 is 9% on profits between 8060-43000 and 2% on profits over 43000. Hope that helps GStar
    • Dazed and confused
    • By Dazed and confused 10th May 17, 8:40 PM
    • 1,287 Posts
    • 518 Thanks
    Dazed and confused
    Class 4 is 9 (or 2)%
    Class 2 is a fixed amount

https://www.gov.uk/self-employed-national-insurance-rates
    • Gstar1984
    • By Gstar1984 10th May 17, 9:39 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Gstar1984
    Oh ok, think I'm going to need some help when I get the enquiry letter 😱 Haven't a clue now what to do. Thanks again for help Steve. Sorry for all the questions, do you know a lot on expenses etc? I had an account last year and I just re done what they done so I will have to go through figures etc with a fine tooth comb by the look of it. Is there a limit on what I can claim and what can I claim? Sorry to ask. Might save me some money if anyone can enlighten me rather than me having to go to an accountant as the one I had charged 33%. Thanks all
    • Gstar1984
    • By Gstar1984 10th May 17, 9:45 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Gstar1984
    I've just had a look on website on stuff I can claim, only thing I'm a bit worried about is that the stuff I claim is genuine but some of it I don't have proof of, seeing as it's under enquiry do I risk putting these down or do I take a loss and put nothing as if they ask for proof I think I only have what I've paid on a bank statement and not receipts or would bank statements be good enough? Thanks again
    • SteveS89
    • By SteveS89 11th May 17, 5:36 AM
    • 15 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    SteveS89
    You would have to check with HMRC if bank statements are enough proof. My friend had an enquiry a few years back and they wanted to see up to date books, bank statements and receipts. Sorry I can't be of more help, I claim all my business expenses (van finance, van tax, fuel, mobile phone, tools etc) and then some of my internet bill. Hope that helps
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

111Posts Today

1,613Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Who do you think came out best in the Corbyn v May battle tonight?

• Clever by Paxman; subtly testing out "strong & stable" by focusing on u-turns on Brexit view, social care, self employed tax & election date

• Ps sadly i got in too late to have seen Corbyn, hence why no comment on his performance

• Follow Martin