Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 5th Mar 15, 1:22 PM
    • 3,195 Posts
    • 50,966 Thanks
    silvasava
    • 5th Mar 15, 1:22 PM
    • 5th Mar 15, 1:22 PM
    Thanks Nuatha - I do hope this thread will see many 'old' friends as well as welcoming new ones
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • Bigjenny
    • By Bigjenny 5th Mar 15, 1:25 PM
    • 507 Posts
    • 5,470 Thanks
    Bigjenny
    • 5th Mar 15, 1:25 PM
    • 5th Mar 15, 1:25 PM
    Thank you for the new thread Nuatha.
    "When one door closes another door opens; but we so often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door, that we do not see the ones which open for us" Alexander Graham Bell
    • ArthriticOldThing
    • By ArthriticOldThing 5th Mar 15, 1:51 PM
    • 506 Posts
    • 7,196 Thanks
    ArthriticOldThing
    • 5th Mar 15, 1:51 PM
    • 5th Mar 15, 1:51 PM
    Yes, thanks for the new thread Nuatha. Am looking forward to, as silvasava says, welcoming old friends and making new.
    Last edited by ArthriticOldThing; 05-03-2015 at 2:08 PM. Reason: amendment
    Use it up, Wear it out, Make it do, Do without.
    • pondskater
    • By pondskater 5th Mar 15, 1:55 PM
    • 261 Posts
    • 1,119 Thanks
    pondskater
    • 5th Mar 15, 1:55 PM
    • 5th Mar 15, 1:55 PM
    I am one of those lurkers that pops their head above the parapet and then sinks back down again, so I thought, maybe I would try really hard to actually say something now and again rather than reading and running. So here goes 'My name is Pondskater, is it ok if I join you?'
    Haters are gonna hate - you're not obliged to participate
    • nuatha
    • By nuatha 5th Mar 15, 2:03 PM
    • 1,918 Posts
    • 23,642 Thanks
    nuatha
    • 5th Mar 15, 2:03 PM
    • 5th Mar 15, 2:03 PM
    I am one of those lurkers that pops their head above the parapet and then sinks back down again, so I thought, maybe I would try really hard to actually say something now and again rather than reading and running. So here goes 'My name is Pondskater, is it ok if I join you?'
    Originally posted by pondskater
    I'm one of those who reads regularly and posts rarely (at least on previous versions of the Tough threads), however we needed a new thread and it was simple for me to do, hence its here.
    I would be very pleased to see anyone who wishes to join in do so, I'm aware that a lot of formerly regular posters no longer post and there's many a name I'd like to see return - because I enjoyed their posts. Equally I'd like to see new people join in because we each have a unique viewpoint and can add richness and diversity as well as help and support each other.

My name is Nuatha and I'll try to same something a bit more regularly than I used to
    • Nargleblast
    • By Nargleblast 5th Mar 15, 2:04 PM
    • 9,356 Posts
    • 54,950 Thanks
    Nargleblast
    • 5th Mar 15, 2:04 PM
    • 5th Mar 15, 2:04 PM
    nuatha thank you for starting the new thread. I like the image it evokes - bunch of old ladies in pinnies and hair curlers, fags drooping from the corners of their mouths, leaning on the garden fence and saying " Ooh, I said! Then 'e turned round and said...."

I wish it to be known that I do not in any way fit that image! Does anyone else?
    Debt free date.....3 August 2015
    Now building up a Doomsday Cash Stash

October NSDs 11 of 20
    • ArthriticOldThing
    • By ArthriticOldThing 5th Mar 15, 2:10 PM
    • 506 Posts
    • 7,196 Thanks
    ArthriticOldThing
    • 5th Mar 15, 2:10 PM
    • 5th Mar 15, 2:10 PM
    Now that, Nargleblast, reminds of Les Dawson and makes me laugh in remembrance.
    I'm also one who posts irregularly but reads often. Will try to improve.
    Use it up, Wear it out, Make it do, Do without.
    • Nargleblast
    • By Nargleblast 5th Mar 15, 2:16 PM
    • 9,356 Posts
    • 54,950 Thanks
    Nargleblast
    • 5th Mar 15, 2:16 PM
    • 5th Mar 15, 2:16 PM
    Les Dawson, an absolute star....And a very talented musician, obviously - you have to be a skilled musician to deliberately play a piano badly for laughs. Maybe some of his stuff would seem dated nowadays, but I can't think of many modern comedians that are as funny as he was. Showing my age, I suppose.

October NSDs 11 of 20
    • nuatha
    • By nuatha 5th Mar 15, 2:27 PM
    • 1,918 Posts
    • 23,642 Thanks
    nuatha
    nuatha thank you for starting the new thread. I like the image it evokes - bunch of old ladies in pinnies and hair curlers, fags drooping from the corners of their mouths, leaning on the garden fence and saying " Ooh, I said! Then 'e turned round and said...."

I wish it to be known that I do not in any way fit that image! Does anyone else?
    Originally posted by Nargleblast
    Given that its 12 months since I stopped smoking, wear my hair in a pony tail, though I sometimes wear an apron (generally I remember far too late in the cooking process) and the other reason I don't fit the mental image is that I'm male.

(though I do have fond memories of Les Dawson, who did fit the image and was also male)
    • Nargleblast
    • By Nargleblast 5th Mar 15, 2:34 PM
    • 9,356 Posts
    • 54,950 Thanks
    Nargleblast
    Talking of garden-related things, I have been using old four pint milk containers to grow seeds in. I sowed some radish seeds today, and already my parsley, thyme and chive containers have tiny green shoots in. Can't wait for late Spring when I can hang these containers outside! May sound a minor triumph, but I am usually the kiss of death to plants!

October NSDs 11 of 20
    • Doveling
    • By Doveling 5th Mar 15, 2:42 PM
    • 395 Posts
    • 7,091 Thanks
    Doveling
    Can I join in please?
    I'm Doveling.
    I'm mature and voluptuous with lots of laughter lines and I walk with an interesting sway........

(o.k. old, fat and wrinkly with a limp but a positive self image is everything isn't it? )

Generally happy but some rubbish happening at the minute so I may ask for a collective shoulder to cry on at some point.

Glad to meet you all
    • Nargleblast
    • By Nargleblast 5th Mar 15, 2:50 PM
    • 9,356 Posts
    • 54,950 Thanks
    Nargleblast
    Better get some wood, hammer and nails, nuatha, looks like the Garden Fence might need extending!

October NSDs 11 of 20
    • stiltwalker
    • By stiltwalker 5th Mar 15, 2:55 PM
    • 1,313 Posts
    • 14,654 Thanks
    stiltwalker
    Good afternoon all - Happy New Thread! and thanks for starting it off nuatha.

A warm welcome to all, new, old and former lurkers.

Just a quick post before I go to pick up Little Miss Stilty from school, she had her fitting for her new wheelchair this morning - it is going to change her life, she is going to be so much more mobile in it. Just need to wait for it to be custom built for her - it should be ready for the week after the Easter hols, all being well.

Take care all - catch you soon - X
    • cat4772
    • By cat4772 5th Mar 15, 3:11 PM
    • 2,442 Posts
    • 4,254 Thanks
    cat4772
    Happy new thread - between 2006 and 2009 I was a regular MSE forumite but for the past 6 years I have dipped in and out (depending on the demands of motherhood, work, life and the rest of it). But now I'm back and certainly need all the tips i can find to help tame the financial beast once and for all!

Cat.x
    DFW Nerd Club #545 Dealing With Our Debt
    never attribute anything to malice which can be adequately explained by stupidity, [paranoia or ignorance] - ZTD&[cat]
    the thing about unwritten laws is that everyone has to agree to them before they can work - *louise*

March GC £113.53 / £325
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 5th Mar 15, 3:16 PM
    • 3,119 Posts
    • 36,963 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    Nice to see a shiny new thread, I'm a lurker rather than a poster, but if you make sure the fence is low enough for me to see over (I'm only 4'11) I'll try to post more often.
    I finally managed to reduce my hours at work a few weeks ago, it's taken 2 years to get it approved!
    I was hoping to get more housework & sewing done by finishing early but so far I seem to have spent most of my time either helping my DD's or running extra errands for hubby.
    Hugs Hester
    • ginnyknit
    • By ginnyknit 5th Mar 15, 3:18 PM
    • 3,570 Posts
    • 42,106 Thanks
    ginnyknit
    Oooh shiny new thread! Hello all. Having a crafty day in an attempt to finish all those jobs that have piled up and doing ok.

Have been running down both freezers since Christmas and they are nearly empty now Ready for me to be super organised when I shop
    Running on optimism
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z#3 camp fire coffee drinker
    Mantra for 2015 - Leave that purse shut.

• nuttyp
    Nice. New thread. I hope we can all chat along... I'm feeling yuck today, so no painting getting done. Have to be better tomorrow as the oven cleaning man will be here at 10 am. I can't use oven cleaners as last time I nearly killed myself on the fumes....
    BSC member 137

BR 26/10/07 Discharged 09/05/08 !!!

Onwards and upwards - no looking back....
    • nuatha
    • By nuatha 5th Mar 15, 3:24 PM
    • 1,918 Posts
    • 23,642 Thanks
    nuatha
    Better get some wood, hammer and nails, nuatha, looks like the Garden Fence might need extending!
    Originally posted by Nargleblast
    Fencing I can do, reduced height to accommodate a special request means the timber goes further - that would make it a more MSE fence.
    As a result of baking for a birthday party, there's rather a lot of chocolate cake looking for mouths to feed.
    • gran3
    • By gran3 5th Mar 15, 3:41 PM
    • 126 Posts
    • 869 Thanks
    gran3
    I'm going to try and raise my own tommy plants this year. I have the seeds and compost and was planning to sow them in old ice cream containers. Any tips anyone? Do I need to enclose the pots in a plastic bag?
    Don't have a greenhouse but do have a sunny kitchen windowsill.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,173Posts Today

7,510Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin