Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 30th Dec 14, 4:13 PM
    • 3,686Posts
    • 26,743Thanks
    Knit Witch
    Weight Loss the Old Style Way! Part 9. Please read posts 1 and 2 before posting.
    • 30th Dec 14, 4:13 PM
    Weight Loss the Old Style Way! Part 9. Please read posts 1 and 2 before posting. 30th Dec 14 at 4:13 PM
    Hello, everyone I've been asked, ever so nicely, so shiny new thread for you all

Quote:

As some of you know there's been some discussion lately on how to accommodate weight loss diets on the board. It was decided that the daily isn't the place for campaigns of any sort and that there was a very good weight loss thread on the I wanna board which would offer excellent support to anyone wishing to join.

The board guides have talked about this and we'd like to accommodate a weight loss campaign the OLD STYLE way here. However, in order for it to fit with the board, it should be about scratch cooking and healthy eating, NOT about where to get low calorie/fat ready meals cheaply or fad diets.

So, here it is. The Lose Weight the Old Style Way thread. This thread is for support in losing weight but in order to keep it true to the board - which is about money saving the old style way, there are going to be some posting guidelines.

Important. Please read:

The thread should be about healthy, Old Style eating. That means recipes and meal plans, support and encouragement and healthy eating. What shouldn't be accomodated here is if the thread goes off topic and covers ready meals, fad diets and weight loss clubs. There is a good thread that covers all that on the 'I wanna' board. So if the thread becomes an extention of that, we will have to close it and ask people to join in there instead.

Enjoy, and good luck (nb - we run 4 challenges a year, generally either 12 or 13 weeks, with a fortnight off at the end of December , so they run Jan-Mar, Apr-Jun, Jul-Sep and Oct-Dec.)
    Last edited by Knit Witch; 08-05-2017 at 12:56 PM.
    "Shop" From Stash (5 skeins down!)
    OS Weight Loss 5/3
Page 3
    • dumpling
    • By dumpling 1st Jan 15, 11:04 AM
    • 1,374 Posts
    • 15,905 Thanks
    dumpling
    Happy New Year everyone, my menu today looks like this at the moment

b - 3 slices of toast with tinned mackerel, much to my hubby's disgust - no fishy kisses for him then
    l - maybe a tin of soup as I'm trying to use up my cupboard stuff
    d - four bird roast with all the trimmings, really really looking forward to eating this
    s - clementines, apple and a banana

It's going to be a quiet day here today, I will probably watch a film later and catch up on one of the books on my kindle. Hope everyone manages to have a great first day of the year. Take care xx
    May GC - 202/200
    • knittingcathy
    • By knittingcathy 1st Jan 15, 11:38 AM
    • 104 Posts
    • 1,050 Thanks
    knittingcathy
    Hi I would like to join in too I have a lot to lose and would like to lose a big percentage of it before I turn 40 in November. Slim and 40 sounds good. Going to aim high this first challenge so could you put me down for 20lbthank you.
    • gizwal
    • By gizwal 1st Jan 15, 12:10 PM
    • 1,427 Posts
    • 2,205 Thanks
    gizwal
    Hi can you put me down for 12lb please. Got a big holiday in 12 months and I want to lose 56lb before then.

B:scrambled egg on 2 slices wm toast

D: hm beef stew , cabbage , mash potato

T:salmon salad
    • Caterina
    • By Caterina 1st Jan 15, 12:31 PM
    • 5,740 Posts
    • 39,193 Thanks
    Caterina
    Happy New Year!

Just ate my breakfast in bed, courtesy of DH, and it was very welcome, especially as I am suffering from a cold and not feeling too sparkly.

Anyway, because it was at noon I count it as lunch and will then have an early evening meal only.

B/L: 2 fried eggs, hm baked beans, mushrooms, 1 slice sourdough toast
    S: a few nuts
    D: tofu with green beans, Brussels, peppers and onions stir fry, mixed salad with goats cheese dressing.

Lashings of tea and camomile.
    Last edited by Caterina; 01-01-2015 at 7:54 PM. Reason: To amend dinner
    No challenges for February, just an easy life.
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 1st Jan 15, 12:48 PM
    • 3,686 Posts
    • 26,743 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    Hi everyone Happy New Year!

could I join please, I would like to start with 12lb loss please. Thanks
    Originally posted by moredaisy
    Hi I would like to join in too I have a lot to lose and would like to lose a big percentage of it before I turn 40 in November. Slim and 40 sounds good. Going to aim high this first challenge so could you put me down for 20lbthank you.
    Originally posted by knittingcathy
    Hi can you put me down for 12lb please. Got a big holiday in 12 months and I want to lose 56lb before then.

B:scrambled egg on 2 slices wm toast

D: hm beef stew , cabbage , mash potato

T:salmon salad
    Originally posted by gizwal
    I've got all three of you! welcome to the thread and the challenge

Arsenalbarnie 0/12
    BrassicWoman 0/12
    cats ahoy 0/20
    dumpling 0/14
    gizwal 0/12
    Jumps 0/12
    knittingcathy 0/20
    Knit Witch 0/7
    moredaisy 0/12
    mousebolyen 0/10
    MummyRivett 0/12
    pm2326 0/10
    pollys 0/12
    rubiesr4eva 0/10

0 st 0 lb
    OS Weight Loss 5/3
    • peony40
    • By peony40 1st Jan 15, 1:00 PM
    • 458 Posts
    • 5,861 Thanks
    peony40
    Hello,

I would like to join you all, please?

Please can you put me down for 7 pounds. Many thanks.

I have weighed and measured myself this morning and oh my goodness! As I am in the process of decluttering our home I thought the time is right to start decluttering my body as well.

I like the idea of slimming the old style way, and getting ideas of what meals others prepare.

Good Luck all.
    February Grocery Challenge 000.00/200.00
    • lickylonglips
    • By lickylonglips 1st Jan 15, 1:09 PM
    • 340 Posts
    • 1,238 Thanks
    lickylonglips
    Hi, everyone. And happy New year!

I'm restarting my diet today. My starting weight is 19 stone 13 lbs. I'm a 38 year old male, 5'10".

I want to lose weight so I can feel healthier, be healthier and hopefully get off my diabetic medication.

I also need to do it frugally as I got a call yesterday cancelling the remaining shifts of my seasonal contract at a major supermarket, as they have overspent on wages over the festive period.

Onwards and upwards, though, eh?

Can you please put me down to lose 24lbs in the 12 weeks?
    Last edited by lickylonglips; 01-01-2015 at 1:12 PM.
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 1st Jan 15, 1:20 PM
    • 3,686 Posts
    • 26,743 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    Hello,

I would like to join you all, please?

Please can you put me down for 7 pounds. Many thanks.

I have weighed and measured myself this morning and oh my goodness! As I am in the process of decluttering our home I thought the time is right to start decluttering my body as well.

I like the idea of slimming the old style way, and getting ideas of what meals others prepare.

Good Luck all.
    Originally posted by peony40
    Welcome to you are well peony40

Hi, everyone. And happy New year!

I'm restarting my diet today. My starting weight is 19 stone 13 lbs. I'm a 38 year old male, 5'10".

I want to lose weight so I can feel healthier, be healthier and hopefully get off my diabetic medication.

I also need to do it frugally as I got a call yesterday cancelling the remaining shifts of my seasonal contract at a major supermarket, as they have overspent on wages over the festive period.

Onwards and upwards, though, eh?

Can you please put me down to lose 24lbs in the 12 weeks?
    Originally posted by lickylonglips
    Sorry to hear about the job (I hope you find something else soon!), 24 pounds it is lickylonglips
    OS Weight Loss 5/3
    • lickylonglips
    • By lickylonglips 1st Jan 15, 2:17 PM
    • 340 Posts
    • 1,238 Thanks
    lickylonglips
    B porridge made with water, sweetener, raspberries and splash skimmed milk
    L soup made with carrot, Swede, sweet potato, celery, onion, white cabbage, parsnip, yellow split peas and lots of garlic
    D peppers stuffed with couscous, mushrooms and feta. Jacket sweet potato.
    • Rachiedabbler70
    • By Rachiedabbler70 1st Jan 15, 3:26 PM
    • 217 Posts
    • 1,645 Thanks
    Rachiedabbler70
    Hello All - I'd love to join please if I may. I'm not new to MSE I've been on the pay your debt off forums in 2014 and it's now time to get my weight under control as I am trying to sort out every aspect of my life.

I've been carrying round my extra weight for the last 6-7 years and my knees are getting really sore and stiff.

I'm deceptively overweight and think I carry around the bad mid-riff internal fat, so with a BMI of 27 I could do with getting to one of around 21 and give my poor knees a chance.

I will put down 12lbs for the first 12 weeks please. Looking forward to getting to know you all. Many thanks and good luck to everyone.
    Pay Your Debts off by Xmas 2015 - success - DFD 19/09/2015
    Mortgage start 152k, 151.3k, 150.3k, 149.4k, 148.8k, 147.6k, 146.6k 145.9k
    145.1k 144.4143.5
    Savings 4070/10000
    2017 GC 1247/3250
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 1st Jan 15, 4:09 PM
    • 3,686 Posts
    • 26,743 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    Hello All - I'd love to join please if I may. I'm not new to MSE I've been on the pay your debt off forums in 2014 and it's now time to get my weight under control as I am trying to sort out every aspect of my life.

I will put down 12lbs for the first 12 weeks please. Looking forward to getting to know you all. Many thanks and good luck to everyone.
    Originally posted by Rachiedabbler70
    Got you Rachiedabbler and welcome to the challenge!
    OS Weight Loss 5/3
    • salduck
    • By salduck 1st Jan 15, 5:20 PM
    • 953 Posts
    • 2,684 Thanks
    salduck
    9 years on crutches!! wowser poor you
    Can you put me down for 12lbs for the first challenge?
    I am a lot bigger than most of you i expect so sometimes the first bit is quite easy for me to lose weight and then i quit when the going gets tough!! Not this year!! Its all about me and i want to feel my best so the weight is going!!
    1lb a week seems doable!
    XX
    Long time lurker- Sometimes poster! Always interested to read and hear others opinions!
    Joined Slimming world 4/2/15
    • Sue14
    • By Sue14 1st Jan 15, 6:13 PM
    • 946 Posts
    • 10,752 Thanks
    Sue14
    I'm in for the next challenge, but I'm really close to my original goal so I will weigh in tomorrow before giving my challenge goal if that's ok.

On Christmas eve I was only 1/4 lb away from my goal, but over Christmas and new year I've put on about 5-6lbs, however I'm pleased with that as last year I put on 9lbs in the same time, and usually it's a lot more.

Before I started losing weight this time, it would take me until at least Feb/March to get into starting my weight loss, and sometimes I didn't get into it at all, but having done so well so far I've been determined to get back on track almost immediately, so I gave a lot of our 'naughties' to DS and his fiancee to take home with them, which has helped. Hoping to go to the gym with OH on Tuesday, we've not been for a few weeks as OH wasn't well, and then we were too busy with preparing for Christmas.

Happy New Year, welcome to the newbies and good luck everyone!
    Total weight loss 30.5 lbs
    Weight loss challenge 13.5/12
    January Grocery Challenge 23.61/100

• MummyRivett
    • By MummyRivett 1st Jan 15, 7:27 PM
    • 350 Posts
    • 3,659 Thanks
    MummyRivett
    Happy New Year Everyone.

Today I ate the following:

B. an apple
    L. Half a tuna and sweetcorn sandwich
    D. Quorn chillie stir fry with vermicelli noodles and a mint cornetto (naughty but I ate less during the day to accommodate)

Only drinking tea between now and bed.

Have a great evening

X
    CHALLENGES FOR 2015
    12K for 2015 Member No: 141 / 1 a Day for Xmas 2015 500/365 / 12lb in 12 Weeks 9 /12
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 1st Jan 15, 7:31 PM
    • 3,686 Posts
    • 26,743 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    9 years on crutches!! wowser poor you
    Can you put me down for 12lbs for the first challenge?
    I am a lot bigger than most of you i expect so sometimes the first bit is quite easy for me to lose weight and then i quit when the going gets tough!! Not this year!! Its all about me and i want to feel my best so the weight is going!!
    1lb a week seems doable!
    XX
    Originally posted by salduck
    Got your challenge total salduck - good luck! (I have *mumble* 10 stone *mumble* to lose)

I'm in for the next challenge, but I'm really close to my original goal so I will weigh in tomorrow before giving my challenge goal if that's ok.

On Christmas eve I was only 1/4 lb away from my goal, but over Christmas and new year I've put on about 5-6lbs, however I'm pleased with that as last year I put on 9lbs in the same time, and usually it's a lot more.

Before I started losing weight this time, it would take me until at least Feb/March to get into starting my weight loss, and sometimes I didn't get into it at all, but having done so well so far I've been determined to get back on track almost immediately, so I gave a lot of our 'naughties' to DS and his fiancee to take home with them, which has helped. Hoping to go to the gym with OH on Tuesday, we've not been for a few weeks as OH wasn't well, and then we were too busy with preparing for Christmas.

Happy New Year, welcome to the newbies and good luck everyone!
    Originally posted by Sue14
    Got you Sue14 and will wait for your challenge amount!

By the way we currently want to lose 16.5 stone between us
    OS Weight Loss 5/3
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 1st Jan 15, 7:34 PM
    • 3,686 Posts
    • 26,743 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    b - none
    l - cheese sandwich
    d - Mushroom Wellington and peas

snacks - cheese roll

drinks - water, tea with milk, fizz that we didn't drink last night
    OS Weight Loss 5/3
    • S-Iam
    • By S-Iam 1st Jan 15, 7:48 PM
    • 158 Posts
    • 1,730 Thanks
    S-Iam
    Hi all,
    Happy New year,
    I'd like to join the challenge too, please. I've been lurking and not posting for so long that I couldn't get my account to work, so I'm signing in as a newbee. A fresh start for the new year! Sounds good.
    I'd like to lose 6ibs for the challenge please.
    Here's to a positive and successful 2015 for us all
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 1st Jan 15, 8:05 PM
    • 3,686 Posts
    • 26,743 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    Hi all,
    Happy New year,
    I'd like to join the challenge too, please. I've been lurking and not posting for so long that I couldn't get my account to work, so I'm signing in as a newbee. A fresh start for the new year! Sounds good.
    I'd like to lose 6ibs for the challenge please.
    Here's to a positive and successful 2015 for us all
    Originally posted by S-Iam
    Oops sorry about the account but glad to see you here (and 6lbs it is)
    OS Weight Loss 5/3
    • keep*going
    • By keep*going 1st Jan 15, 8:31 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 319 Thanks
    keep*going
    Happy new year everyone.

Please could I join you in trying for 12lbs, thank you. From my sig you will see I have a way to go with my weight. I have been out on my bike two days 25 mins each day now. I have taken stock of all the food in the cupboards/fridge/freezer and meal planned up to 21st Jan (and only need to buy potatoes/mushrooms and peppers to make those meals!!). I have never dieted before but calorie counting and exercising as have taken my results from Change 4 life NHS website. My BMI needs busting....
    #089 DFBXmas2015 - 0/2,422.30 (0%)
    OS Weight Loss 1 lbs/24 lbs over 12 weeks
    (Aiming to lose 67lb in 2015)
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 1st Jan 15, 8:33 PM
    • 3,686 Posts
    • 26,743 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    Happy new year everyone.

Please could I join you in trying for 12lbs, thank you. From my sig you will see I have a way to go with my weight. I have been out on my bike two days 25 mins each day now. I have taken stock of all the food in the cupboards/fridge/freezer and meal planned up to 21st Jan (and only need to buy potatoes/mushrooms and peppers to make those meals!!). I have never dieted before but calorie counting and exercising as have taken my results from Change 4 life NHS website. My BMI needs busting....
    Originally posted by keep*going
    Of course you can join - the more the merrier (hmm do you want to lose 12 stone or 67 lb in total?)
    OS Weight Loss 5/3
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

629Posts Today

4,821Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Ugh another one trying it! Beware https://t.co/Ab9fCRA76F

• Follow Martin