Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 16th Jan 14, 7:37 PM
    • 28,064Posts
    • 154,280Thanks
    Karmacat
    Breaking Through, Travelling On
    • 16th Jan 14, 7:37 PM
    Breaking Through, Travelling On 16th Jan 14 at 7:37 PM
    Hello

I think a few people on this board know me already, from the dfw board

I really need the focus of an mse diary - debts are all paid off, except for about 40% of a French mortgage - but income has been declining, and is currently pitiful. And without a diary, I've lost focus on getting the best deal for the things I *do* need to spend out on, like insurance, and Christmas train tickets, that sort of stuff. So I've come back properly after pootling about on other people's threads, and on general threads too, to be fair

The focus is so that I can replace lost income - so that I can have a holiday of my choosing, for instance - and stopping digging into my savings for ordinary living expenses would be nice too Its also so that I can get my pension up beyond "miserable penury" - its kind of urgent, as under the system that lasted till about 15 years ago, I'd be retiring at the end of this year But I'm not, sadly. The aim is to retire in July 2016, when my younger sister retires, with a reasonable pension.

One complication in earning more is that between arthritis, energy issues and the need to stay available to what clients I have, I can't / don't want to, take a second job. So more income has to be through other work - patchwork, portfolio, call it what you like (I know I do ).
    Retired August 2016
Page 2
    • boredofbeingathome
    • By boredofbeingathome 17th Jan 14, 9:50 PM
    • 15,386 Posts
    • 37,539 Thanks
    boredofbeingathome
    Subscribes as well. Liking the savings and liking the John Wyndham reference even more.....hope you disclosed the triffids in the garden to the insurers ;-)
    Blackadder: Am I jumping the gun, Baldrick, or are the words 'I have a cunning plan' marching with ill-deserved confidence in the direction of this conversation?
    Still lurking around with a hope of some salvation
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 17th Jan 14, 9:54 PM
    • 28,064 Posts
    • 154,280 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Beanie! Ellidee! This is lovely <happy sigh>

Strange more in that there's so many who want to do it. You'd think there would be at least some people who'd retire to never get up off the Turkish beach - but no...travel.
    Originally posted by ZTD
    I'm sure there are, Zeddy - they're probably not the sort of people who post on here tho.

How you doing? You got holibob plans for this year?

John Wyndham is definitely a cosy writer I was going to say he's just right for a 14 year old, but 14 year olds are very discerning these days, his characters are pretty shallow and intellectual and there's often only one bad guy.

You wait till I get my End Of The World novel published ... I'm very mean to people .
    Retired August 2016
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 17th Jan 14, 9:56 PM
    • 28,064 Posts
    • 154,280 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Bob! Oh my god, this is amazing - as for disclosing the triffids, um, I may have missed them out just this time, you understand. When I've safely docked their stings again, I'll tell them then

Thank you for coming by!
    Retired August 2016
    • boredofbeingathome
    • By boredofbeingathome 17th Jan 14, 10:02 PM
    • 15,386 Posts
    • 37,539 Thanks
    boredofbeingathome
    It's like old times around here lately
    Blackadder: Am I jumping the gun, Baldrick, or are the words 'I have a cunning plan' marching with ill-deserved confidence in the direction of this conversation?
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 17th Jan 14, 10:08 PM
    • 28,064 Posts
    • 154,280 Thanks
    Karmacat
    It really is, isn't it ... something special happened back then. We've all gone on, but some of us are boomeranging back as well After all the hard work to get out of debt, damned if I'm going to not have enough income!

What about you, Bob? Are your financial plans on track, do you need this new focus too, or are things more or less the way you want them?
    Retired August 2016
    • boredofbeingathome
    • By boredofbeingathome 17th Jan 14, 10:16 PM
    • 15,386 Posts
    • 37,539 Thanks
    boredofbeingathome
    Yes and No..Mr.B has been a lot better he was always a work in progress. Mortgage weirdly enough is being paid right down at the moment so all is good there.

I stick around for the challenges and I read a lot of Frugal blogs. I am certainly heading in the right direction and i keep on honing it further and further.

I find myself surprised at the constant things i find out and thoroughly enjoy myself trying new things. I am rediscovering a love for crafting and I always was a thrifty but am getting a perverse satisfaction from finding ways to have the same lifestyle without compromising myself. Housewise, i am focusing on the garden and upcycling ( i love that word and Kirsty Allsop's use of it) of furniture-I have a couple of projects in mind.

It's all baby steps, but obviously stemmed from here.
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 17th Jan 14, 10:23 PM
    • 23,265 Posts
    • 40,634 Thanks
    ZTD
    John Wyndham is definitely a cosy writer I was going to say he's just right for a 14 year old, but 14 year olds are very discerning these days, his characters are pretty shallow and intellectual and there's often only one bad guy.

You wait till I get my End Of The World novel published ... I'm very mean to people .
    Originally posted by Karmacat
    Well in The Chrysalids he was somewhat mean to people.

*** SPOILER ALERT ***

Comes to the end of the book. The father of the protaganist wants him dead, and his uncle who previously saved his backside clash in a battle on horseback. Then people with the same mental powers as the children in question fly in, cover everyone with goop and rescue the kids. Then the conversation goes something like:
    • Them: The goop is non-lethal, and we cleaned it off you. However everyone else we didn't clean it off have suffocated. So really speaking it is pretty lethal after all. So not only are your entire family dead, your entire village is dead - including that friendly uncle who saved your life and covered for you while risking his own. But that's OK because we all think the same as you do and we're superior.
    • Children: Oh that's OK then...
    • Z: WHAT?!

They're flying in something functionally equivalent to helicopters, they met people riding on horseback, yet they're completely incapable of grabbing the kids and leaving nothing behind but The Finger without annihilating all human life?

"Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 17th Jan 14, 10:25 PM
    • 28,064 Posts
    • 154,280 Thanks
    Karmacat
    That sounds lovely, it really does, especially the crafting. I'm definitely going to be doing some crafting - I've been playing about with some designs, and some ideas, and I love it. Have you officially joined that "14 projects in 2014" thread?
    Retired August 2016
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 17th Jan 14, 10:27 PM
    • 28,064 Posts
    • 154,280 Thanks
    Karmacat
    thats great, Z! Thats sort of what I mean, about him being comparatively shallow, he doesn't go through the implications, tho to a 14 year old, he sounds like he does. And nowadays, I *might* read him, but only because he's **cosy**
    Retired August 2016
    • boredofbeingathome
    • By boredofbeingathome 17th Jan 14, 10:44 PM
    • 15,386 Posts
    • 37,539 Thanks
    boredofbeingathome
    That sounds lovely, it really does, especially the crafting. I'm definitely going to be doing some crafting - I've been playing about with some designs, and some ideas, and I love it. Have you officially joined that "14 projects in 2014" thread?
    I am lurking on it
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 18th Jan 14, 11:27 AM
    • 28,064 Posts
    • 154,280 Thanks
    Karmacat
    I am lurking on it
    Originally posted by boredofbeingathome
    I only just saw this

Not doing too much thats mfw today, apart from tidying (which maintains the value of my property, dontcha know ). I'm off to London, to champagne-and-canapes in Docklands ... so, borrowing Greying Pilgrim's 3 things to be grateful for I am grateful for:

- friends old and new, who stay with, its lovely to discover new compatabilities as we journey on, and to keep up with interests already shared as well.

- for the knowledge and opportunities gained through this site, and a few others as well, to broaden and support my life, and often the lives of those around me as well.

- for postivity, here and elsewhere: the equinox is only two months away
    Retired August 2016
    • DedicatedDFW
    • By DedicatedDFW 18th Jan 14, 1:44 PM
    • 4,234 Posts
    • 13,906 Thanks
    DedicatedDFW
    Hi KC - had a quick peek and it looks absolutely lovely where your apartment is *le sigh* - do you rent it out now did you say?

Sounds like a fab weekend planned - enjoy x
    CC1:T £2531 £1460
    MORTGAGE OVERPAYMENTS: £10575.20 Target £12,100
    MF Date: August 2042 May 2035
    Declutter 1000 things by Xmas 2015! 53/1000
    • rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 18th Jan 14, 4:01 PM
    • 2,004 Posts
    • 12,380 Thanks
    rtandon27
    Oh KC - what a beautiful place your French apartment is in.

Do you rent it out? So close to Geneva & Italy - what a great location!
    ONE YEAR DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    • Pippilongstocking
    • By Pippilongstocking 18th Jan 14, 4:20 PM
    • 14,844 Posts
    • 97,509 Thanks
    Pippilongstocking
    It's like old times around here lately
    Originally posted by boredofbeingathome
    Overdraft 1 £1000/£100, Overdraft 2 £1000/£0, Credit Card 1 £1044.93/£0, Credit Card 2 £2710.57/2160
    Total Debt as of 6/8/2017 £5755.40 eek: total debt 24/9 £4060 PAID off £1695.40
    :
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 19th Jan 14, 11:45 AM
    • 28,064 Posts
    • 154,280 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Hi KC - had a quick peek and it looks absolutely lovely where your apartment is *le sigh* - do you rent it out now did you say?

Sounds like a fab weekend planned - enjoy x
    Originally posted by DedicatedDFW
    Oh KC - what a beautiful place your French apartment is in.

Do you rent it out? So close to Geneva & Italy - what a great location!
    Originally posted by rtandon27
    Thank you! Yep, I rent it out - I get a very slightly higher rental income (still doesn't cover the mortgage ) because I don't stay there. Eventually, when the leaseback scheme is ended (VAT free purchase, funded by the French government to ensure more holiday homes were built) I'll be able to stay there when I choose

Well, I had a lovely evening yesterday I was a bit worried about the trip back, there've been cancelled trains just on Friday because of flooding, but it was fine. <happy sigh>

I was up really early tho and I've been wandering about vistaprint to buy business/personal cards - the last 4 times I've been out locally, someone has given me a card so that we can keep in touch. I can't reciprocate, and on a personal and a professional level, I need to be able to. So 250 cards ordered, after much trial and error, on the back of which is a fantastic quote by a guy called Martin Delany: "If we treated everyone we meet with the same affection we bestow upon our favorite cat, they, too, would purr." And the astonishing thing is, he was an African American abolitionist - born as early as 1812, thank god he lived to see slavery end. He went to Harvard too. Amazing man. I'll blog about him, I reckon.

I need a recovery day today, especially since I was up early, even if I was only pootling about on the computer, so no finance-busting going on, just admiring the yellow thing in the sky
    Retired August 2016
    • DedicatedDFW
    • By DedicatedDFW 19th Jan 14, 12:03 PM
    • 4,234 Posts
    • 13,906 Thanks
    DedicatedDFW
    A wonderful quote KC - do you have a blog chuck - i'd definitely love to read more about Delaney if you do write about him

Glad you had a good time and got back safe too
    CC1:T £2531 £1460
    MORTGAGE OVERPAYMENTS: £10575.20 Target £12,100
    MF Date: August 2042 May 2035
    Declutter 1000 things by Xmas 2015! 53/1000
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 19th Jan 14, 1:24 PM
    • 28,064 Posts
    • 154,280 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Hi DDFW! My personal blog is on my contact page thingy on here, but I'll email you a link to the puddy cat one, thats where I'll put it, because he *does* mention cats, after all. I was going to blog on there about the fun things in choosing what to put on a card, and its turning into a design blog as well - I might scan in design doodles, we'll see how that goes.

Right. Off to get my trainers on, and then out for a walk around the block, and into the garden to do some clearing up ...
    Retired August 2016
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 20th Jan 14, 9:32 AM
    • 28,064 Posts
    • 154,280 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Right, amongst the ordinary stuff of day to day living, there's an mfw list:
    - client phone call
    - ring builders to come round for quotes
    - accounts work
    - check bank account, move money around if necessary
    - pay credit cards
    - once the frost is on its way out, do 15 minutes out in the garden.
    Retired August 2016
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 20th Jan 14, 1:14 PM
    • 28,064 Posts
    • 154,280 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Such a simple-sounding sentence .... two hours! At least! Yellow Pages, Thomson Blue Pages, last year's diary to see if I could trace the guy who did a handyman type job that I was really pleased with, yell.com as well. Have finally ended up with 3, all very local, thank heavens.

And the one from the next town who advertised "no job too small" (and some of my jobs are small, but repointing a wall, and laying ceramic tiles in the bathroom aren't really **small** jobs) - well, he wanted me to take photos and email them to him, so he could give me a rough quote so when he came out to do a formal quote he could do some work there and then ... forget it!

I'm sweeping the floors because they're going to be poking in everywhere First one arrives at 2pm today
    Retired August 2016
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 20th Jan 14, 6:50 PM
    • 28,064 Posts
    • 154,280 Thanks
    Karmacat
    - client phone call
    - accounts work
    - check bank account, move money around if necessary
    - pay credit cards
    - once the frost is on its way out, do 15 minutes out in the garden.
    The ones I didn't do are bolded - I tried to pay both credit cards, but the second payment didn't go through, I don't think. And the one builder *did* come round, and it took an hour because of how much info I had to give him, I was exhausted! And had to eat

It was a total of four hours on the building stuff, plus that eating/recovery time I might do some stuff tonight, but thats all.

Anybody else ever have dirty wall ties? House is holding together fine, it seems, but when it was being built, they didn't keep the wall ties that they put in at the time clean, i.e. they let bits of concrete fall on them. With the result that they transmit damp, instead of just holding the walls together. Grrr.

These costs are going to be high, I can tell - but unless I want to sell this house as a doer-upper when I do eventually come to sell, this stuff has got to be done. Annoying, but there it is.
    Retired August 2016
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,469Posts Today

8,318Users online

Martin's Twitter