Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • shaggydoo
    • By shaggydoo 8th Jan 14, 12:18 PM
    • 6,556Posts
    • 50,620Thanks
    shaggydoo
    The Giving Up/ Cutting Down alcohol support thread - number 13
    • 8th Jan 14, 12:18 PM
    The Giving Up/ Cutting Down alcohol support thread - number 13 8th Jan 14 at 12:18 PM
    Welcome. Here we are again, time for a new thread, new starts and new challenges.

Let's take a trip down memory lane and remind ourselves of In Search Of Me's (ISOM) original post in Part 1:

24th February 2008

Quote:
    In Search Of Me "There are a few of us who want to give up/cut down & I thought it would be good to widen the net to support each other along the way!
    For me alch & feeling good for the time I'm drinking & then rubbish after go hand in hand. A bit like drinking & smoking & drinking & getting the munchies! Last year I gave up alch & fags for 10 months & then "slipped" towards Christmas until by Jan I was doing both with alarming regularity. I dread to think how much both cost me financially and I know physically that I've felt rubbish. My lungs hurt, have put on weight & literally none of my clothes fit so I will have to buy more - which means a dent in my budget that I can ill afford. My skin is also yukky & much nicer when I dont drink/smoke!
    I had my last ciggies the night before last & last wine on Tues. I know I will feel 100% better when I crack it but also know it will be hard. One disadvantage here is that all too often DFW "parties" tend to involve alcohol so I'm also hoping that this can possibly be a safe haven for those of us who want, or need, to abstain, for now at least!
    Anway - I hope that this can be a place of real support for people who are sturggling. I do wonder whether there is a link between debt & drinking as from the Jan thread it was obvious that so many struggle to give up! Plus I know for me that I feel much hapier and in control when I dont drink (or drink in moderation) - which of course begs the question "why do I do it?"! Anyway, I do but will now try not t ad hope some of you wil join in. Some days I know I wil fail, just as I do with my debt free journey and I am more than happy to be given a swift (but nice!) kicking when I do! Hugs all and dare I say... but this time with water!!
    And here's what she started!!! :

Part 12 is HERE

Part 11 is HERE

Part 10 is HERE

Part 9 is HERE

Part 8 is HERE

Part 7 is HERE

Part 6 is HERE

Part 5 is HERE

Part 4 is HERE

Part 3 is HERE

Part 2 is HERE

and the original starting thread is HERE

Here is a post from back on thread 1 or 2.

Quote:
    Springwatch Girl Well, week 5 of no alcohol and I see a different person in the mirror. My eyes no longer look dull and vacant, they actually have a little sparkle and my skin doesn't look like uncooked pastry anymore. I feel that I have won a battle but not yet the war. Hope everyone else is at the point they want to be, I never want to be that person I was, I have been tempted but I just think back to what I had become. The sun is shining at the moment and I feel good and want to continue to have the sun in my life"

Good Luck Everyone!

Shaggyx
    Last edited by shaggydoo; 08-01-2014 at 12:30 PM.
    What do we do when we fall? We get up, dust ourselves off and start walking in the right direction again. Perhaps when we fall, it is easy to forget there are people along the way who help us stand and walk with us as we get back on track.
Page 3
    • Wanna Bee Free
    • By Wanna Bee Free 9th Jan 14, 7:09 AM
    • 1,068 Posts
    • 9,941 Thanks
    Wanna Bee Free
    Oh, good luck today 365, I'm thinking of you xxx
    Originally posted by jo1972
    Good luck today from me too 365. Alex, well done on the hot chocky at least that's 1 fewer!

Hey Scotdebs - good luck with January and glad to see you back - apart from why of course!

3/14 for me please Shaggy and thanks for the new thread. I thought it was good to hear you are back in the zone.
    No. 44 Save 12K in 2017 £6,100/£7,500 81%
    AFDs 80/150 14/4/10/9/7/3/18/15 53%
    • satchmo1
    • By satchmo1 9th Jan 14, 8:15 AM
    • 1,886 Posts
    • 12,324 Thanks
    satchmo1
    Good luck, 365, praying for you xx
  • crazymum
    Sending beautiful sparkly rainbows to you 365....and positive vibes and thoughts of spring - do you still have your allotment?
    You helped me change my life - and I'm sure you've done the same for many other people here, be strong and positive.

Huge ((((hugs))))

Thankyou to everyone who makes this such a wonderful, inspiring thread - I'm sure there are many other lurkers like myself who find it invaluble, thankyou.....and Shaggy - as always - you are a legend
    • WantToBeSE
    • By WantToBeSE 9th Jan 14, 8:55 AM
    • 6,778 Posts
    • 30,547 Thanks
    WantToBeSE
    365- Good Luck today. I hope it all goes well for you. Looking forward to seeing you back on the thread soon.x.
    3/6 month emergency fund challenge #20
    PODBX17 #122

Debt Free Diary http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5501794

Total debt:
    14/01/2017 £6247.89
    24/02/17 £5623.17

Estimated DFD Jan 2018
  • afoolwithmoney
    Goodluck 365
    9/31 for me plz babysitting tonight!
    So wish I liked hot chocolate feels like Im missing out
    • gien
    • By gien 9th Jan 14, 9:42 AM
    • 1,567 Posts
    • 14,987 Thanks
    gien
    Adding my best wishes for today 365, I'll be thinking of you.

Last night was AF, so 5 for me.
    I'm feeling ill again (sore throat, feverish, headache etc) just a virus from the kids but a pain as I feel very lethargic.

Everyone's doing really well this year so far.
    One thing I would say AlexK, if the doctor has said that you shouldn't drink with your medication then really try not to (I know it's hard). At best the drugs won't work, at worse there could be a nasty reaction.
    I mixed alcohol and medicine once and fell mighty peculiar.

HAve a great day
    Trying to keep in budget.

• 40somethingmum
    • By 40somethingmum 9th Jan 14, 9:54 AM
    • 2,492 Posts
    • 18,334 Thanks
    40somethingmum
    3/26 for me Shaggy and many thanks for starting the new thread. xx

Hope you feel better soon gien.

Best of luck for today 365 . Thinking of you xx

Have a good day all.

40SMxx
    • sukeyboo
    • By sukeyboo 9th Jan 14, 9:55 AM
    • 709 Posts
    • 5,536 Thanks
    sukeyboo
    Morning all,

Good luck for today 365 - I will be thinking of you - hope to 'see' you back on the forum soon x

Out to Zumba class last night so no real temptation to have a drink - that took me to 4/15 AFD's please Shaggy.

I am another member of the 'hot chocolate club' - it has been my saviour since cutting down . For those that are interested in keeping the calories down too, I do find the low-cal ones are fine - I especially like the choc/orange as it reminds me of the real chocolate one that I had at Christmas

Have a good day everyone
    • milky1991
    • By milky1991 9th Jan 14, 10:07 AM
    • 835 Posts
    • 5,829 Thanks
    milky1991
    I'm sure there are many other lurkers like myself who find it invaluble, thankyou.....
    Originally posted by crazymum
    I have been lurking on this thread initially in my head to cut down on alcohol to save some money, but reading through and looking back at myself I can't remember the last time I didn't have a drink at night.
    I don't drink in the day, I hold down a good job but every night come 7/8pm the wine gets opened and it's a bottle a night.
    I work shifts so when I'm on lates with a midnight finish I still come home and drink a bottle of wine !!

Writing this I have just remembered that the last time I didn't drink was 4 weeks ago as every 4 weeks I do two 3am finishes and don't drink on these nights so in effect I am not drinking two days out of 28 which means I drink 26 of every 28 days (shocking when you look at it that way)

I don't want to stop drinking but need to get it in check before it get's out of hand if it already hasn't

Sorry for the long post .

I am going to start today and see how many AF days I can do till the end of Jan. I'm away in Spain for a couple of days later this month so they will definitely include alcohol but here goes.
    As of 24th August 2016 total money owed was
    £15,708
  • Greytcatlady
    All the best for today 365.
  • archived user
    Good morning
    Ive been catching up on the last couple of days posts. This thread is a great read!!

365 good luck today, shaggy thank you for keeping this going and gien I hope you feel better soon and to all others

I can declare another 2 AF nights making a grand total so far of 7 AFs

I have to admit Im shattered with flitful sleep but somehow its getting easier. I left DS2 and DIL to airport for their 8 month charity trip to SA and under 'normal wine induced circumstances' I would have been weepy and spoiling for a row with DD but being AF was bliss and rational. I am learning how good it is to not use wine as a crutch!!

Feeling very positive today - thank you all!!

** Stay Excellent, Stay AF **
    • shaggydoo
    • By shaggydoo 9th Jan 14, 11:03 AM
    • 6,556 Posts
    • 50,620 Thanks
    shaggydoo
    Morning

The good news is that I was AF last night. The bad news is that I have put on 4Lbs over xmas (in less than 4 weeks) I knew it - all my clothes feel horribly tight

Another good reason to pile up the AFDs.

Shaggyx
    What do we do when we fall? We get up, dust ourselves off and start walking in the right direction again. Perhaps when we fall, it is easy to forget there are people along the way who help us stand and walk with us as we get back on track.
    • shaggydoo
    • By shaggydoo 9th Jan 14, 11:09 AM
    • 6,556 Posts
    • 50,620 Thanks
    shaggydoo
    Shaggy

Dare I ask, what happened to ISOM?
    Originally posted by gwithbag
    Looks like she last logged on in June 2013. I joined the thread in October 2009 and I'm not sure she was posting then. I actually don't remember her - don't know about anyone else who was on the thread before me?

I guess she cleared her debts and is living an MSE debt free AF life
    Last edited by shaggydoo; 09-01-2014 at 11:20 AM.
    • shaggydoo
    • By shaggydoo 9th Jan 14, 11:20 AM
    • 6,556 Posts
    • 50,620 Thanks
    shaggydoo
    Know what you mean debjay. 31 days is the big goal. Yes, day by day is what gets us through but it's defo the weekends for me.
    Originally posted by Greytcatlady
    • shaggydoo
    • By shaggydoo 9th Jan 14, 11:24 AM
    • 6,556 Posts
    • 50,620 Thanks
    shaggydoo
    Hi Shaggy - can i join (again )
    Originally posted by scotdebs
    you're on the list!
    • shaggydoo
    • By shaggydoo 9th Jan 14, 11:30 AM
    • 6,556 Posts
    • 50,620 Thanks
    shaggydoo
    I am going to start today and see how many AF days I can do till the end of Jan. I'm away in Spain for a couple of days later this month so they will definitely include alcohol but here goes.
    Originally posted by milky1991
    Do you want to join the January challenge as TF (Target Free) ?
    • shaggydoo
    • By shaggydoo 9th Jan 14, 11:37 AM
    • 6,556 Posts
    • 50,620 Thanks
    shaggydoo
    Monthly Challenge : January 2014
    January 2014 :-

= 7 Days AF

= 14 days AF

= 21 days AF

= 28 days AF

= 31 days AF

= target achieved

AFoolWithMoney 9/31

AlexLK 2
    /14

ArsenalBarnie 2/10

Baileysonice
    3/15

Barny1979 8/31

Bliss /22

CuppaTea 6/22
    DebJay 8/31

DoshWaster 7/31

Fruball 5
    /18

Gien 5/28

Green Karen 5/25
    GreyCatLady 8/31

GWithBag 2/15

Jess The Cat 2/16
    Jo1972 7/31
    Judi 8/31

Lucy /31

Maman 2/10

Mummyto3boys 5/21

Munchin 5/16

NewRoadAhead 3/20

NewYearNewStart 2/30

PriceySOS 5/24

RachelWW1 4/10
    Satchmo 8/31

ScotsDebs 3/TF

Shaggy 6/17

Sukeyboo 4/15

The Green Lady /31
    TillerGirl 7/31
    TopGirl 7/31

Wanna Bee Free 3/14

WantToBeSE 6/30
    YvieBlue 8/31

40 SomethingMum 3/26

5 Year Plan 7/31

Everyone Welcome! It's never too late to join....

Please highlight your AFDs in Red

Don't hesitate to let me know if I've made a mistake!
    Last edited by shaggydoo; 09-01-2014 at 11:44 AM.
    • shaggydoo
    • By shaggydoo 9th Jan 14, 11:42 AM
    • 6,556 Posts
    • 50,620 Thanks
    shaggydoo
    Monthly Challenge : January 2014 Targets
    Roll up, Roll up. A New Year, A New Challenge.

January

SET YOUR

It's not too late to join! 23 days up for grabs!

Everyone Welcome!!!
    • shaggydoo
    • By shaggydoo 9th Jan 14, 11:43 AM
    • 6,556 Posts
    • 50,620 Thanks
    shaggydoo
    Please, please shout out if I have made any errors.

Laters

Shaggyx
    • milky1991
    • By milky1991 9th Jan 14, 12:32 PM
    • 835 Posts
    • 5,829 Thanks
    milky1991
    Do you want to join the January challenge as TF (Target Free) ?
    Originally posted by shaggydoo
    Yes please count me in if you would . Thanks
    As of 24th August 2016 total money owed was
    £15,708
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,130Posts Today

8,397Users online

Martin's Twitter