Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • shaggydoo
    • By shaggydoo 8th Jan 14, 12:18 PM
    • 6,446Posts
    • 49,888Thanks
    shaggydoo
    The Giving Up/ Cutting Down alcohol support thread - number 13
    • 8th Jan 14, 12:18 PM
    The Giving Up/ Cutting Down alcohol support thread - number 13 8th Jan 14 at 12:18 PM
    Welcome. Here we are again, time for a new thread, new starts and new challenges.

Let's take a trip down memory lane and remind ourselves of In Search Of Me's (ISOM) original post in Part 1:

24th February 2008

Quote:
    In Search Of Me "There are a few of us who want to give up/cut down & I thought it would be good to widen the net to support each other along the way!
    For me alch & feeling good for the time I'm drinking & then rubbish after go hand in hand. A bit like drinking & smoking & drinking & getting the munchies! Last year I gave up alch & fags for 10 months & then "slipped" towards Christmas until by Jan I was doing both with alarming regularity. I dread to think how much both cost me financially and I know physically that I've felt rubbish. My lungs hurt, have put on weight & literally none of my clothes fit so I will have to buy more - which means a dent in my budget that I can ill afford. My skin is also yukky & much nicer when I dont drink/smoke!
    I had my last ciggies the night before last & last wine on Tues. I know I will feel 100% better when I crack it but also know it will be hard. One disadvantage here is that all too often DFW "parties" tend to involve alcohol so I'm also hoping that this can possibly be a safe haven for those of us who want, or need, to abstain, for now at least!
    Anway - I hope that this can be a place of real support for people who are sturggling. I do wonder whether there is a link between debt & drinking as from the Jan thread it was obvious that so many struggle to give up! Plus I know for me that I feel much hapier and in control when I dont drink (or drink in moderation) - which of course begs the question "why do I do it?"! Anyway, I do but will now try not t ad hope some of you wil join in. Some days I know I wil fail, just as I do with my debt free journey and I am more than happy to be given a swift (but nice!) kicking when I do! Hugs all and dare I say... but this time with water!!
    And here's what she started!!! :

Part 12 is HERE

Part 11 is HERE

Part 10 is HERE

Part 9 is HERE

Part 8 is HERE

Part 7 is HERE

Part 6 is HERE

Part 5 is HERE

Part 4 is HERE

Part 3 is HERE

Part 2 is HERE

and the original starting thread is HERE

Here is a post from back on thread 1 or 2.

Quote:
    Springwatch Girl Well, week 5 of no alcohol and I see a different person in the mirror. My eyes no longer look dull and vacant, they actually have a little sparkle and my skin doesn't look like uncooked pastry anymore. I feel that I have won a battle but not yet the war. Hope everyone else is at the point they want to be, I never want to be that person I was, I have been tempted but I just think back to what I had become. The sun is shining at the moment and I feel good and want to continue to have the sun in my life"

Good Luck Everyone!

Shaggyx
    Last edited by shaggydoo; 08-01-2014 at 12:30 PM.
    What do we do when we fall? We get up, dust ourselves off and start walking in the right direction again. Perhaps when we fall, it is easy to forget there are people along the way who help us stand and walk with us as we get back on track.
Page 2
    • Yvieblue
    • By Yvieblue 8th Jan 14, 4:29 PM
    • 87 Posts
    • 990 Thanks
    Yvieblue
    Thank you so much for keeping track, Shaggy.
    Declaring 8/31 for today because I'm feeling really tired so I'll probably be in bed by 9.00!
    I'm finding that food is the problem for me too, atm - I've signed up for the weight loss challenge on the OS board and I'm not doing well at all on that one so far - but at least, with the help of this thread,I've kept off the wine (so far) this month.
    • Barny1979
    • By Barny1979 8th Jan 14, 5:42 PM
    • 3,629 Posts
    • 42,198 Thanks
    Barny1979
    8/31 AFDs tonight
    • WantToBeSE
    • By WantToBeSE 8th Jan 14, 6:33 PM
    • 7,545 Posts
    • 30,540 Thanks
    WantToBeSE
    #6 for me this evening Popped to tesco to get some packed lunch stuff and wasnt even tempted to get alcohol
    3/6 month emergency fund challenge #20
    PODBX17 #122

Debt Free Diary http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5501794

Total debt:
    14/01/2017 6247.89
    24/02/17 5623.17

Estimated DFD Jan 2018
  • Greytcatlady
    8/31 for me today please, I can't see temptation on the horizon tonight.

I think I find myself being drawn to the OS weightloss board so may see a couple of you there too.

Keep on keeping on people.
    • debjay
    • By debjay 8th Jan 14, 7:45 PM
    • 2,049 Posts
    • 8,478 Thanks
    debjay
    Think I'll declare 8/31 too.

Can't see me being tempted tonight. I'm quite determined to see this month through but not looking too far ahead.
    • Baileysonice
    • By Baileysonice 8th Jan 14, 8:10 PM
    • 142 Posts
    • 1,302 Thanks
    Baileysonice
    3/15 please shaggy

Thanks for the new thread

Diet coke and a curry tonight for me. I think the last time I gave up significantly I put weight on too so I have to keep an eye on all those extra treats.
  • Greytcatlady
    Know what you mean debjay. 31 days is the big goal. Yes, day by day is what gets us through but it's defo the weekends for me.
    • satchmo1
    • By satchmo1 8th Jan 14, 8:26 PM
    • 1,886 Posts
    • 12,324 Thanks
    satchmo1
    8/21 AFDs tonight. Thanks for the fab "smiley" (what are they called, cos they're not emoticons either).

I'm being geeky tonight and loving Stargazing. Me and DH watched it last night then rushed outside to see what we could see in the night sky. Clouds, pah.

I really want to see the Northern Lights, I'm working on DH.

I suggest painting your nails, ladies, to avoid snacking.
    • debjay
    • By debjay 8th Jan 14, 8:30 PM
    • 2,049 Posts
    • 8,478 Thanks
    debjay
    Know what you mean debjay. 31 days is the big goal. Yes, day by day is what gets us through but it's defo the weekends for me.
    Originally posted by Greytcatlady
    Mine is weekends too.

However, it was starting to become nightly esp as I work shifts so am sometimes off during the week. We were then drinking during the week but not at weekends when I worked. We used to say we'd only drink at weekends but it quickly became the habit to drink every night.

That's what I'd be happy with after this month. None during the week and maybe a few at weekends. If I'm working at the weekend we'll have an AF week.

Like you said, a month is a long time so I'm trying not to tempt fate.
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 8th Jan 14, 8:41 PM
    • 1,949 Posts
    • 5,631 Thanks
    Munchin
    Hi all

Happy New Year . Sorry I've not been about but doing ok and I'm on 5/16 AFDs.
  • Greytcatlady
    You have to really think about it though don't you. 'I have to cut down' doesn't just hit you. It's a mixture of seeing the bottle(s) in the recycling midweek, thinking it's been a tough day on a Tuesday, let's have a little something, the weekend beginning on a Thursday, etc, that makes you think hang on, I've woken up with a dry mouth again, don't want to get up and when you (I) stir from the pit a puffy face looks back from the bathroom mirror. Shifts must make it double hard to keep a handle on.

Like you, I'm no looking become teetotal. Just call a halt. To something before it gets out of hand. if drinking doesn't fit with the plan, make it AF, not rearrange the drinking. I like that one debjay, mind if I nick it.
    • AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 8th Jan 14, 9:02 PM
    • 5,637 Posts
    • 28,980 Thanks
    AlexLK
    Mrs. K. has helped keep me on track thus far.
    Savings 2017: 2000. Overpayments 2017: 500.
    Saved 11,000 in 2015, 9,800 in 2016.
    From 32,000 in debt on 2/9/2013 to debt free on 12/1/2015.
    • debjay
    • By debjay 8th Jan 14, 9:30 PM
    • 2,049 Posts
    • 8,478 Thanks
    debjay
    You have to really think about it though don't you. 'I have to cut down' doesn't just hit you. It's a mixture of seeing the bottle(s) in the recycling midweek, thinking it's been a tough day on a Tuesday, let's have a little something, the weekend beginning on a Thursday, etc, that makes you think hang on, I've woken up with a dry mouth again, don't want to get up and when you (I) stir from the pit a puffy face looks back from the bathroom mirror. Shifts must make it double hard to keep a handle on.

Like you, I'm no looking become teetotal. Just call a halt. To something before it gets out of hand. if drinking doesn't fit with the plan, make it AF, not rearrange the drinking. I like that one debjay, mind if I nick it.
    Originally posted by Greytcatlady

If it keeps us on the str8 and narrow I'm using all the hints and tips mentioned here.
    • scotdebs
    • By scotdebs 8th Jan 14, 9:46 PM
    • 538 Posts
    • 3,003 Thanks
    scotdebs
    Hi Shaggy - can i join (again ) not going to set a target but just see how i go this month AF of 3 to declare so far..am especially pleased as its been 3 consecutive nights and if I manage to stay AF tomorrow then that will be the first run of 4 AF nights in over 18 months
    Cc debt Jan 2016 43.3k
    CC debt Feb 2016 38.3k
    CC debt Ma 2016 37.1k
    14.3% paid off - target under 30k by end of 2016
    • judi24
    • By judi24 8th Jan 14, 9:47 PM
    • 2,251 Posts
    • 7,045 Thanks
    judi24
    Good day today - not very productive work wise but feeling a bit better in myself - Went to the gym tonight to keep myself busy. I am going to fat club tomorrow so really wanted to have cheese and crackers for dinner but I would always have wine with that - decided to finely slice an apple with it and have it with juice intead. it was very nice and didn't really miss the wine!

So doing ok at 8/31 afds - i have been invited to a friends tomorrow for take away and wine!!! not sure whether to make an excuse and not go, go and not drink or pay the fine for CRUK and have a few glasses of wine!!! I know what the right choice is but I also know what I would like to do!!!! Dilemmas dilemmas
    Last edited by judi24; 08-01-2014 at 9:57 PM.
    • mummy2threeboys
    • By mummy2threeboys 8th Jan 14, 10:26 PM
    • 585 Posts
    • 5,250 Thanks
    mummy2threeboys
    Lovely new thread declaring 2 af shaggy thanks
    Feel pleased, hubby has decided to cut down , today because our funds seem a bit brighter, we have enough money in our budget to take the boys to the cinema on the matinee prices..way better than spending that 5 on a bottle of booze, that will leave us tired! Loads of love to all..hope tommorrows good weather..nasty here again xx
    debts various PAID off 4575:
    total 7681 3107
    59.56% Debt free day jun 2019 Aug 18

Pay off all your debt Xmas 2017 Member 42 1118/ 4225 (26.46%)
    No buying Toiletries 2017 134
  • rachelww1
    Plans changed here as our friend is now coming tomorrow night instead. Did have a slight wobble at about 7pm then decided the weather was too lousy to go out, and no-one would be out tonight anyway. So have stayed AF tonight making 4/10. Just having a reduced calorie hot chocolate before bed.
    LBM Dec 10. Total unsecured debt 41176 Nov 12 Debt Free Thanks Mum x RIP x

2013 Savings 250
    2013 OP 3500
    • AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 8th Jan 14, 11:56 PM
    • 5,637 Posts
    • 28,980 Thanks
    AlexLK
    You aren't the only one replacing alcohol for hot chocolate.
    Savings 2017: 2000. Overpayments 2017: 500.
    Saved 11,000 in 2015, 9,800 in 2016.
    From 32,000 in debt on 2/9/2013 to debt free on 12/1/2015.
    • jo1972
    • By jo1972 9th Jan 14, 6:57 AM
    • 8,834 Posts
    • 66,272 Thanks
    jo1972
    Morning all

7 for me thanks Shaggy

Gotta run, woke up late

Xxx
    DFW Nerd no. 496 - Proud to be dealing with my debts!!
    • jo1972
    • By jo1972 9th Jan 14, 6:58 AM
    • 8,834 Posts
    • 66,272 Thanks
    jo1972
    Oh, good luck today 365, I'm thinking of you xxx
    DFW Nerd no. 496 - Proud to be dealing with my debts!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,486Posts Today

8,245Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Beware the hidden £1,000s parents aren't told they must pay for University fees. My new FT column https://t.co/gDOyZDMCr9 (free to read) RT

• Who do you think came out best in the Corbyn v May battle tonight?

• Clever by Paxman; subtly testing out "strong & stable" by focusing on u-turns on Brexit view, social care, self employed tax & election date

• Follow Martin