Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • wherediditallgo
    • By wherediditallgo 7th Apr 07, 12:27 AM
    • 2,808Posts
    • 4,319Thanks
    wherediditallgo
    Famous bankrupts, past & present
    • 7th Apr 07, 12:27 AM
    Famous bankrupts, past & present 7th Apr 07 at 12:27 AM
    I thought I'd post this to remind us that we're not social outcasts

King Edward II - 14th century English king. His 14th century attempt to conquer France led to the Hundred Years' War, and the cost of this scheme put him £30 (approx. $60) in debt - over $7,000,000 in today's cash.)

Rembrandt 1606-1669 - the famous Dutch painter. He filed for bankruptcy at the age of 50 in 1656. Many of Rembrandt's paintings and his house were sold at an auction. After the bankruptcy, he continued to paint but was not allowed to sell his works directly to customers. He was able to circumvent this law by having his son take over his business and sell his paintings.

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, 1756 - 1791, composer. He fell heavily into debt in his early 30s and when he died at age 35, was buried in an unmarked pauper's grave.

Thomas Jefferson - when Thomas Jefferson died in 1826, his large estate and all his possessions, including 130 slaves, were auctioned off to pay his creditors.

Milton Hershey - founder of Hershey’s chocolate, his first four companies failed, his fifth is now one of the worlds largest chocolate manufacturers.

Walt Disney – Disney founded his first company (the Laugh-O-Gram Corp) in 1921 with $15,000 from investors, went bankrupt two years later when his investors pulled out due to distribution problems. His next company did rather better.

L. Frank Baum - he ran a store into bankruptcy in Aberdeen, SD, before he turned to writing. He wrote the “Wizard of Oz”.
    Immanuel Nobel (father of Alfred Nobel, founder of the Peace Prize) - bankrupt twice.
    Henry John Heinz - condiment manufacturer.
    James Abbot McNeil Whistler - Artist
    Abraham Lincoln - American president
    Mark Twain - American author
    Oscar Wilde - poet and author
    Henry Ford – first two automobile companies failed.
    William Fox - co-founder of 20th Century Fox
    Charles Goodyear - inventor and tyre manufacturer
    Mickey Rooney - actor
    Lionel Bart - British composer
    Harry Saltzman - film producer of James Bond
    Isaac Hayes – Songwriter, composer, singer Soul Ltd.
    Larry King - talk-show host
    Tom Petty - rock star
    Cyndi Lauper - rock star
    Meat Loaf - rock star
    Mick Fleetwood - rock star
    Marvin Gaye - singer
    Andy Gibb - rock star
    Jerry Lee Lewis - Rock n’ Roll star
    Tammy Wynette - country music star
    Willie Nelson - rock star
    Kim Basinger - actress
    Gary Coleman - star of "Diff'rent Strokes"
    Burt Reynolds - actor
    Debbie Reynolds - actress
    MC Hammer - musician
    Natalie Cole - singer
    Toni Braxton - rock star
    Chaka Kahn - rock star
    Mike Tyson - boxer
    Chris Eubank - boxer
    Anna-Nicole Smith - Playboy centrefold
    Natalie Cole - singer
    Lynne Spears - mother of Britney
    Don Johnson - actor-producer
    Eddie "The Eagle" - ski jumper
    Heidi Fleiss
    Members of the Jackson family - first Michael's parents with debts of $45m , then some of the children - Tito, Jermaine, Randy and Rebbie. Apparently, Michael and his songbird sisters Janet and LaToya did nothing, saying they had no part of the family firm. La Toya Jackson then went bankrupt herself, & Michael is rumoured to be heading for bankruptcy himself. At one point, he'd managed to reduce his spending to £1m a month.

See, there is life after bankruptcy. It doesn't mark you as a failure for the rest of your life. For many people, the challenge of rising again after it made them that much more determined to succeed in the future. There's no reason why that can't be the case for any of us as well.

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Natasha; 22-12-2008 at 3:23 PM.
Page 24
    • JCS1
    • By JCS1 25th Apr 16, 8:20 PM
    • 3,616 Posts
    • 7,418 Thanks
    JCS1
    And I guess we can now add BHS to the list
    • andyfromotley
    • By andyfromotley 27th Apr 16, 5:52 PM
    • 2,014 Posts
    • 2,964 Thanks
    andyfromotley
    Not sure how famous he is as a footballer but obviously made his mark with the Insolvency Service

Footballer scores own goal and handed 15 year bankruptcy restriction order by Court
    Originally posted by fatbelly
    Contained within this article

On 24 June 2013, Mr M S E Solomons presented a bankruptcy petition against Mr Rufus as a result of the failure of the Individual Voluntary Arrangement that was in place following a meeting of Mr Rufus’ creditors held on 2 November 2011.

Never mess with a MSE 'er!!
    £1000 Emergency fund No90 £1000/1000
    LBM 28/1/15 total debt - £23,410 24/3/16 total debt - £7,298
    !
    • fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 3rd Aug 16, 11:45 AM
    • 11,539 Posts
    • 8,674 Thanks
    fatbelly
    Willie Thorne, former Snooker player

Another BRO case

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/six-year-restriction-for-former-snooker-star-who-gambled-away-453200
    • fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 4th Nov 16, 4:55 PM
    • 11,539 Posts
    • 8,674 Thanks
    fatbelly
    Ewen MacIntosh, actor, known for The Office

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/2111604/the-office-star-ewen-mackintosh-declares-bankruptcy-while-his-co-stars-rake-in-millions/

Can't vouch for the accuracy of the article as they can't even spell his name correctly but he does appear to have been declared bankrupt a few weeks back.
    • JCS1
    • By JCS1 12th Dec 16, 10:36 PM
    • 3,616 Posts
    • 7,418 Thanks
    JCS1
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-38292040

Dean Windass, ex premiership footballer
    • fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 24th Dec 16, 5:05 PM
    • 11,539 Posts
    • 8,674 Thanks
    fatbelly
    Liz Jones, maybe

Watch this space

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/you/article-4014254/LIZ-JONES-S-DIARY-m-declared-bankrupt.html
    • RuthnJasper
    • By RuthnJasper 24th Dec 16, 6:09 PM
    • 3,605 Posts
    • 8,638 Thanks
    RuthnJasper
    The "charming" sack of weasels that is Donald Trump - his businesses.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_affairs_of_Donald_Trump#Use_of_bankruptcy_la ws
    • slowpoke rodriguez
    • By slowpoke rodriguez 24th Dec 16, 8:06 PM
    • 298 Posts
    • 238 Thanks
    slowpoke rodriguez
    As Liz Jones says,
    "Once you lose everything, you lose the fear"!
    Been there. She's right!
    Merry Christmas!
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 26th Dec 16, 2:01 PM
    • 12,471 Posts
    • 11,863 Thanks
    sourcrates
    As Liz Jones says,
    "Once you lose everything, you lose the fear"!
    Been there. She's right!
    Merry Christmas!
    Originally posted by slowpoke rodriguez
    This quote really echoes with me, its true, you do lose the fear.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • elljay
    • By elljay 29th Dec 16, 12:18 PM
    • 741 Posts
    • 618 Thanks
    elljay
    re Liz Jones. The comments under her article are generally not v sympathetic. She says the OR has stopped her having a car but surely she'd be allowed a car for around £1000 as the rest of us are? She should come onto this forum where people are determined to do the best they can without so much self pity!

I can't believe a paper would pay someone to write an article like that - hopefully her others were better.
    • fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 29th Dec 16, 1:53 PM
    • 11,539 Posts
    • 8,674 Thanks
    fatbelly
    re Liz Jones. The comments under her article are generally not v sympathetic. She says the OR has stopped her having a car but surely she'd be allowed a car for around £1000 as the rest of us are? She should come onto this forum where people are determined to do the best they can without so much self pity!

I can't believe a paper would pay someone to write an article like that - hopefully her others were better.
    Originally posted by elljay

I think that's pretty typical of Liz Jones and the Daily Mail to be honest.

I actually think there's a possibility the whole thing is fabricated to give her something to hang an article on.

But I am keeping an eye on the register and (to some extent) the awful Daily Mail site.
    • JCS1
    • By JCS1 29th Dec 16, 9:10 PM
    • 3,616 Posts
    • 7,418 Thanks
    JCS1

Originally posted by elljay
    I read that it an IP wouldn't let her, so assumed she was in an IVA? Might be someone just managing her money for her though??

Edited to add - found her on register, does look like IVA from November 2015.
    Last edited by JCS1; 29-12-2016 at 9:14 PM.
    • TheGardener
    • By TheGardener 30th Dec 16, 9:29 AM
    • 2,168 Posts
    • 2,053 Thanks
    TheGardener
    If I'm right in the guess that Liz Jones lives in London (I haven't looked at her IS entry) then its entirely possible she would be expected to use the excellent London public transport. BR's are allowed a car worth <£1000 IF they can evidence need for one. - If she normally does use public transport and the car is something used only occasionally for trips out of town - it may be the OR would decline her request for a car. Parking and congestion charges would be pretty expensive too.
    She should have spend more time with us on the forum - she'd have had a much better time of it and been far better informed. However, that probably wouldn't make quite such good copy for the press
    • fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 30th Dec 16, 10:09 AM
    • 11,539 Posts
    • 8,674 Thanks
    fatbelly
    I think JCS got the right entry - I hadn't noticed it earlier as there is no date of birth. She lives in Yorkshire now.
    • JCS1
    • By JCS1 30th Dec 16, 12:56 PM
    • 3,616 Posts
    • 7,418 Thanks
    JCS1
    I think JCS got the right entry - I hadn't noticed it earlier as there is no date of birth. She lives in Yorkshire now.
    Originally posted by fatbelly
    Think we have the same one - county was correct and middle name (after a google search) is the same too
    • elljay
    • By elljay 30th Dec 16, 3:58 PM
    • 741 Posts
    • 618 Thanks
    elljay
    Well it's a shame that she hasn't used her position to change public attitudes towards those on an IVA or bankrupt or at least the attitudes of Daily Mail readers. As a paper which is known for inflating public fears about anything that doesn't toe the conservative or Conservative line she could have tried to make a difference, having been there herself, rather than just fuel prejudices. Bankrupts are already treated worse than many convicted criminals and public attitudes haven't changed since Dickens' times.

I wish I was in that position - there's quite a lot about the BR system I'd love to campaign about - having been there.

Liz
    • fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 26th Jan 17, 11:03 AM
    • 11,539 Posts
    • 8,674 Thanks
    fatbelly
    Gail Porter

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-4158198/Gail-Porter-declared-bankrupt-High-Court.html
    • JCS1
    • By JCS1 26th Jan 17, 8:03 PM
    • 3,616 Posts
    • 7,418 Thanks
    JCS1
    I saw that one today and was logging on to post the same
    • Deep In Debt
    • By Deep In Debt 31st Mar 17, 6:34 AM
    • 8,028 Posts
    • 12,379 Thanks
    Deep In Debt
    Karen Millen
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4366622/Karen-Millen-declared-bankrupt-6million-tax-bill.html
    • fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 19th May 17, 10:17 AM
    • 11,539 Posts
    • 8,674 Thanks
    fatbelly
    Rock on, Tommy

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4521076/Eighties-comic-Tommy-Cannon-declared-bankrupt.html

Thomas Derbyshire if you want to check
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

161Posts Today

1,397Users online

Martin's Twitter