Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 23
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 4th Oct 16, 10:47 PM
    • 6,091 Posts
    • 19,005 Thanks
    Doc N
    ...no longer has any active involvement in this site and certainly won't read forum posts.
    Contact him on Twitter perhaps?
    Originally posted by Moneyineptitude
    I doubt he ever did after the very early years....but there are still reporting mechanisms in place.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 5th Oct 16, 12:00 AM
    • 18,539 Posts
    • 8,757 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    there are still reporting mechanisms in place.
    Originally posted by Doc N
    No, he sold this site a few years back. Your posts will go unread and unheeded.
    • rubrenus
    • By rubrenus 25th Oct 16, 1:40 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    rubrenus
    Personal allowance
    Having successfully reclaimed nursing care costs I now want to claim personal allowance from the care home which was never paid. Does anyone know what the weekly rate was in 2004/2006 please? Or where I could get that information.
    • historybuff
    • By historybuff 11th Nov 16, 7:39 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    historybuff
    Success - finally after 4 years have received a letter from NHS Continuing Care detailing what they are prepared to re-repay us for my late father's time in a care home for the last years of his life. He passed away in Dec 2005 (coming up to 11 years). Certainly was worth the wait !!!!!
    • kirstie27488
    • By kirstie27488 4th May 17, 9:06 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    kirstie27488
    NHS Care costs
    Hi There,

I have just stumbled across MSE's article on reclaiming care cost due to NHS not publicising that fact they could have paid for more fees.

All I am finding on here are for claims relevant to 2012. My grandfather was put in a home with Dementia and Parkinson's and was made to pay 900 a month in costs as he owned his own home and received an army pension.

Although the home couldn't be sold as my grandmother lived here, would he have still had to pay this amount?

I have spoken to Farley Dwek solicitors and they say we can still make a claim.

Does anyone know if I can put in a claim and who I would submit this to?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 4th May 17, 9:15 AM
    • 27,348 Posts
    • 69,605 Thanks
    Mojisola
    All I am finding on here are for claims relevant to 2012. My grandfather was put in a home with Dementia and Parkinson's and was made to pay 900 a month in costs as he owned his own home and received an army pension.

Although the home couldn't be sold as my grandmother lived here, would he have still had to pay this amount?
    Originally posted by kirstie27488
    Are you sure that the value of the house was taken into account? It should have been completely disregarded as his wife was still living there.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 4th May 17, 11:42 AM
    • 18,539 Posts
    • 8,757 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude

I have just stumbled across MSE's article on reclaiming care cost due to NHS not publicising that fact they could have paid for more fees.

All I am finding on here are for claims relevant to 2012.
    The article (now archived) clearly states that claims had to be made by September 2012, so you are a little late.

Why are you approaching Solicitors? They will take a huge proportion of any refund you might be awarded.
    • Keep pedalling
    • By Keep pedalling 4th May 17, 12:38 PM
    • 3,032 Posts
    • 3,232 Thanks
    Keep pedalling
    His 900 contribution would have been based purely on his income and personal savings, and the majority of the actual costs would have been met by the LA.

There is unlikely to be anything to be claimed in this case, and I certainly would not involve ambulance chasing claims companies even if there was.
    • kirstie27488
    • By kirstie27488 4th May 17, 12:50 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    kirstie27488
    The house may not have been assessed. I am just trying to understand why he would have to pay so much.
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 4th May 17, 2:30 PM
    • 27,348 Posts
    • 69,605 Thanks
    Mojisola
    The house may not have been assessed. I am just trying to understand why he would have to pay so much.
    900 a month isn't a lot of money compared to the full cost a self-funder would pay.

AgeUK have several useful leaflets on how a person's contribution is worked out - 900 a month would probably have come from his pensions.
    • Keep pedalling
    • By Keep pedalling 4th May 17, 4:16 PM
    • 3,032 Posts
    • 3,232 Thanks
    Keep pedalling
    It's not so much when he had both an army and state pension. My mother's only income is state pension topped up with pension credit. She also has 22,000 in savings which means she pays around 620 a month which is slightly more than the SP and PC she receives. The extra is based on the non existent interest she is assumed to receive on savings above 14,250 (1 per week for every 250 of savings)
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 9th May 17, 10:08 AM
    • 6,091 Posts
    • 19,005 Thanks
    Doc N
    Does anyone have any direct experience of the Local Dispute Resolution procedure with these claims?

After years of sitting on the claim, the NHS has now reached this stage in the long-winded procedure, offering a 30 minute 'local resolution telephone call'.

Anybody taken part in one of these calls? With or without a lawyer joining in on a conference call? Or did you take the alternative route of a face to face meeting?

From what I've read, this looks like a pretty pointless procedure when the NHS just tries to justify the decision it's made prior to a formal appeal, but I could be wrong.

Any advice gratefully received.
    • Care To Be Different
    • By Care To Be Different 9th May 17, 12:58 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Care To Be Different
    Dispute 'resolution' meetings
    Doc N - insist on a face to face meeting. These dispute resolution meetings very often make little difference, and are often simply a forum for the CCG to try to persuade you they are right and you are wrong. It means many people end up going to the next level of appeal anyway. However, you need to go through this stage first - but be sure it's face to face, and make sure you've documented in writing all the mistakes made by assessors in all previous meetings and assessments. Make the people at the meeting address these points one by one. Don't let them fob you off with 'a quick chat'. Hope that helps. Wishing you well.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,459Posts Today

8,346Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Beware the hidden £1,000s parents aren't told they must pay for University fees. My new FT column https://t.co/gDOyZDMCr9 (free to read) RT

• Who do you think came out best in the Corbyn v May battle tonight?

• Clever by Paxman; subtly testing out "strong & stable" by focusing on u-turns on Brexit view, social care, self employed tax & election date

• Follow Martin