Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 5th Jan 12, 3:32 PM
    • 6,786Posts
    • 32,580Thanks
    brizzledfw
    LBM in 2003.. What have I been doing since??!
    • 5th Jan 12, 3:32 PM
    LBM in 2003.. What have I been doing since??! 5th Jan 12 at 3:32 PM
    Hello

I have decided to start a diary. Have lurked on here since early 2009, subscribed to loads of threads, loved all the camaraderie and found it very useful for getting shot of debt, starting savings and all that kind of good stuff but then have slipped and skidded into more debt, especially as I left a FT job this spring and yet seem to be still living as if I was FT and not PT...loving feeling more human though and seeing more of the kids but financially it's not great. I need to welcome and appreciate living a much more frugal life.

HOWEVER..even writing that seems bonkers as for a household we are well off with an embarrassingly high income of about 90k gross. But clearly as the newly updated signature shows there is no hiding that we (OH, me and 2 DDs) are living beyond our means, failing to prioritise the right things and generally need to rectify all this otherwise, well no otherwise, it simply can't continue. All the savings and OP pot will go and I won't be able to rob Peter to pay Paul anymore which is what I think I have been doing.. Not sure ( which is also embarrassing ) but must have been plus then started to use the 0% credit cards again which can be a slippery slope if not used properly.

I am going away now to do some more on why I have got myself into this mess, ensure I am clear there is no going back and also what my goals are. Hoping this will help me focus and as you guys ( hope you're reading are such a supportive bunch on here I am hoping you will also help me! But even if no one reads, I think I need the discipline of sticking to a programme..I can't afford to slip again. This needs to be a new permanent way of life. Currently we try and do all the things that make us feel good about ourselves, the world, the environment, our family..but perhaps we can't do it all and need to make choices? I guess everyone must but we have just not had to as yet.

So a few things to do. Sorry for rambling first post but I needed to take the first step!! Which also reminds me must check out the 'what DFW things have you done today' thread..that used to be magic. Used to love doing that 'stock take' every day

Onwards and upwards

Cheers

Brizzle
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal
    May '17 Savings Rate Goal: 25% [Apr 10%]
    Declutter 50 items before 31.05.17 20/50 ** LSDs Target 5 for May 04/05 **AFDs 09/20 ** Sales Target '17 750 80 so far
    **NSDs Target 5 for May 04/05
Page 3
    • brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 16th Jan 12, 3:54 PM
    • 6,786 Posts
    • 32,580 Thanks
    brizzledfw
    Hi DDFW..you're right..I should be more pleased about paying off those 2 debts but cos its reallocating savings..it feels like cheating so that takes the shine off it iyswim. But it's all progress I guess and it's the right thing to do.

Have done a PAD towards each of the remaining CCs too as I need to stop thinking of them as free money..

Have a meeting this evening but OH will stay at home and miss an eve when he usually does a hobby but that's OK so saving on babysitter costs so staying on track for me having a NSD..yay
    Declutter 50 items before 31.05.17 20/50 ** LSDs Target 5 for May 04/05 **AFDs 09/20 ** Sales Target '17 750 80 so far
    • PinotGrigio41
    • By PinotGrigio41 16th Jan 12, 6:53 PM
    • 4,146 Posts
    • 20,585 Thanks
    PinotGrigio41
    Hi

My mum and grandma always used to have a pile of scrap paper and envelopes by the phone. My mum still does actually and the kids love raiding it for crafty activities the minute they get to her house. They also used sticky labels...what did we call them..can't remember...so every envelope was reused. Green and MSE I guess. Frugal all the way.

So I have reused some envelopes today. i did my claim form! Yay! OH will photocopy it for me and then it can be posted. Put rest of envelopes in recycling! (But probably could have used some for the paper log maker. They are fairly damp still but I think its something we will persevere with ) we always use them to line my food kitchen caddy thing.

Have HM potato and leek soup on now in order to make the main stretch further.. Another of my grandmas tricks. Must cast my mind back to think of some more. That generation knew about being frugal alright. Her mum was separated from her dad and if his cheque ( he provided some support) was late and they were then late with the rent they used to have to hide under the table until the bailiffs went! Scary stuff for a lil un.

Cheers all x
    Originally posted by brizzledfw
    Funnily enough my mum used to do that with the scrap paper too and I still do. I staple it together to make little books and pads for the girls, infact DD2 makes her own now, her bedroom is full of them. She names them all and writes down all her secrets ! Her own special version of MSE no doubt !

Interesting story about your Grandma, that must have been pretty scary for them. x
    LBM July 2011 - Finally took control Nov 2011 DFD Sometime in the distant future !
    Total debts Nov 2011 96796.75
    Total Debts MAY 2017 34294.54
    Cleared MAY 2017 62502.21

Emergency Fund / Rainy Day - 3500.00 . DMP Mutual Support Thread 428
    • satchmo1
    • By satchmo1 16th Jan 12, 6:59 PM
    • 1,886 Posts
    • 12,324 Thanks
    satchmo1
    Hi B

I think I remember someone's diary from way back commented on drying the paper bricks taking a long time. They put them in the greenhouse.

Oh yes, my mum does the envelope for lists thing too. Her generation (she's 83 and bright as a button) could teach us a thing or more about reduce, recycle, reuse. T-shirts as cleaning cloths, vinegar for cleaning the shower screen, taps, stainless steel, cleaning a wooden chopping board with the leavings of a fresh lemon skin, etc.

Red lentils in stews/curries/chillies are a great (secret) way of stretching a meal.

Hugs
    Satchmo x
    • brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 16th Jan 12, 10:43 PM
    • 6,786 Posts
    • 32,580 Thanks
    brizzledfw
    Wet newspapers to clean windows too..windolene was too pricey! Borax to unblock drains ( and kill any ants nests).. There are loads- I suspect most are on the OS threads..Lentils were indeed used to stretch out the mince that went into the cottage pie, with some left over cooked sausages from a cooked breakfast last week.. Puy lentils from the back of the cupboard...but when they are gone they are gone..it'll be those cheapie red ones next time..and it'll all be bought from an Indian supermarket as have never found them cheaper.

I digress but we get through a lot of garlic and we discovered bags of cubes of frozen pre grated garlic from a tiny little Indian grocers/newsagents. Havent been there since now I come to think about it. An impulse buy but well worth it. Amazing stuff and very cheap ( they did ginger as well) ..must look for them again..hope they are easy to find again.

PG they will love that..my 2 are stationery queens! Thanks for the tip.

One thing I am very pleased about is the AL@I cat food for senior cats. Ours is loving it. A fraction of the usual price, altho used to get it on offer, BOGOF. Just shows how some things you can drop a brand or two and no one notices. Will be interested in how the AL@I washing powder works out.

Spent some quality time with DDs after school today..just hanging out and ban on screen time made the evening seem much much longer...it was nice and a very nice small thing that I need to cherish. ( and didn't cost a thing!) ..lord don't I ramble. Sorry..

Should be a LSD tomorrow. No plans to spend ( and that's half the trick for me I think) and am working out and about so minimal opportunity I hope. Also no one in house so heating shouldnt be on until after 5 when DD1 gets home. . Dinner already prepared so hopefully childminder fees the only expense.

Onwards and upwards
    Last edited by brizzledfw; 16-01-2012 at 10:55 PM.
    • jwil
    • By jwil 17th Jan 12, 9:32 AM
    • 7,381 Posts
    • 20,080 Thanks
    jwil
    You're doing really well
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
    • brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 17th Jan 12, 9:26 PM
    • 6,786 Posts
    • 32,580 Thanks
    brizzledfw
    Thanks jwil..best of luck with tomorrow. I will be leaving on a 6am train and back around 10pm so a great one all round ( not). Oh well working from home again on Thurs so can't really complain..

My 2 breakthroughs today were:

- finding that we had no white wine in the larder...a calamity!!! ( well we have some tokaj from a dear friend but its not really a Tuesday evening quaff I thought!) But instead of rushing out I instead have made do with red..a nice red too. I will also drink less and as its a heavy day travel wise tomorrow that's no bad thing and it means I didn't buy a thing today
    - friend coming over on Monday with her LO, she's still on mat leave. And instead of suggesting we cafe it, and then I'd pay as she's still on mat leave she is coming here. I can make some Nigella biscuits and we will have a lovely time. Have also suggested that a couple of new friends/ dont know them that well yet come over to dinner instead of us going to a resturant which saves them cash and us too. They're also veggie. So....think staying in is the new going out..I know everyone has been saying that for years but I am just cottoning on!

Brizzle
    • brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 17th Jan 12, 9:28 PM
    • 6,786 Posts
    • 32,580 Thanks
    brizzledfw
    PS just updated Sig with new CC2 figure.. About 170 less which is in the right direction I guess! :-)
    • brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 18th Jan 12, 10:45 PM
    • 6,786 Posts
    • 32,580 Thanks
    brizzledfw
    Hi

Shattered so not posting much. Just back from work and long train journeys and just posted on the small dfw things thread. I will also do a PAD before I turn in.

Today was a LSD. OH took car to garage to get a couple of things fixed before we sell it. I bought a coffee at the station which with my Bite discount card was 1.80 so pretty restrained really. I will have to pay for a couple of taxis tomorrow..am currently not able to drive..which is also stopping me walking too far..but as working again from home other expenses should be nil. Have a few bits to get like sports kit for DD1 on Saturday but will be rigid about a list and not diverging from it!

OH is also in line for some freelance work which is good ..just waiting to hear how much and when we will receive the cash. Won't be a lot, it's for writing some stuff, but better than a kick in the teeth I'd say.

My mum has emailed to say she has more wood for our stove..yippee and my ILs are also lending me an exercise bike languishing in their garage which the doc says I need to use for physio exercises after an injury. Just knew someone would have one kicking about they weren't using and lo and behold, here it is! Just shows if you don't ask around you never know who has what that's up for grabs!

Next month..ironically around Valentines Day..me and OH are having a free 2 night break in a nice
    local hotel courtesy of points I got in my last job from staying away so much. Can't wait. It'll be fab. Need to watch the extra cash around lunch and dinner etc but maybe we can even sneak in a lovely picnic lunch ( and champers!) and just buy breakfast and dinner... Yes now that's a thought. That's what I will do!

Anyway over and out. Off to catch some more threads and then sleep..sleep..sleep. Can't wait! Had one of those broken nights last night when you are just waiting for the alarm to go..in my case it was 5am
    • brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 19th Jan 12, 8:39 AM
    • 6,786 Posts
    • 32,580 Thanks
    brizzledfw
    Today so far:

9.16 in from Quidco
    Made a PAD

And OH bought me breakfast in bed..(porridge and tea!)

Think today will be a good day!

Xx
    • PinotGrigio41
    • By PinotGrigio41 19th Jan 12, 11:27 AM
    • 4,146 Posts
    • 20,585 Thanks
    PinotGrigio41
    Wow Brizzled you have had a busy few days havent you ? I think the breakfast in bed is well deserved. Well done to your OH. Your couple of nights away sounds wonderful, remember to sneak a few bags of cheap old wine into your bags so you dont have to fork out for the posh hotel ones !

I will keep my fingers crossed that the Freelance work comes through for your OH and well done on the signature update. Its such a lovely feelingisnt to see that Debt Mountain reducing.

Hope your day continues to go well !
    LBM July 2011 - Finally took control Nov 2011 DFD Sometime in the distant future !
    Total debts Nov 2011 96796.75
    Total Debts MAY 2017 34294.54
    Cleared MAY 2017 62502.21

Emergency Fund / Rainy Day - 3500.00 . DMP Mutual Support Thread 428
    • brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 20th Jan 12, 1:38 PM
    • 6,786 Posts
    • 32,580 Thanks
    brizzledfw
    Hi all

Just quick post as grabbing 5 minutes before I have to tear off again.
    Today have done 2x PADs ( by accident as hadn't realised the first oneahd gone through! But all good!)
    Spent on taxis today as needed to get to physio and OH busy. Going out with OH tonight but will keep spend at no more than that. Going to a social event with family on Sunday and instead of buying cake will make Nigella's quick chocolate biscuits to take with a flask of coffee. So apart from cat food and floor cleaner that's it on groceries for next 72 hours!( nothing short of a bloom&ng miracle!)

Tomorrow will be a spend day for kids stuff and new work shoes for me ( cant risk heels at the moment) but will try to keep to a strict list. Will let you know how I get on. OH has listed car so here's hoping that goes. We have tried to pitch it reasonably but no idea what market is like at the moment. Tax runs out end March so need to get shot of it soon.

Have a great weekend guys...will update again soon.

Brizzle
    • jwil
    • By jwil 20th Jan 12, 8:20 PM
    • 7,381 Posts
    • 20,080 Thanks
    jwil
    I'll have some cake please

That sounds good about your Valentines break, and very nice of your OH to bring you breakfast in bed

Good luck with the car and hope you have a great weekend
    • brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 21st Jan 12, 2:03 AM
    • 6,786 Posts
    • 32,580 Thanks
    brizzledfw
    Hey jwil..as youre a zummerzat girl you get all the biscuits and cake you want..they are on their way!
    • jwil
    • By jwil 21st Jan 12, 9:25 AM
    • 7,381 Posts
    • 20,080 Thanks
    jwil
    Hey jwil..as youre a zummerzat girl you get all the biscuits and cake you want..they are on their way!
    Originally posted by brizzledfw
    Sounds good, thank you I hope you weren't up til 2am making them though
    • brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 21st Jan 12, 8:14 PM
    • 6,786 Posts
    • 32,580 Thanks
    brizzledfw
    Hi all

So... In this new era of honesty I am confessing all! Even the gruesome parts. Basically its been a pretty expensive day with a few bits from ALD& ( the list of loo rolls and cat food grew by packed lunch stuff and bread so ended up as 25) however am still of mind that it's cheaper than other sms
    Trip to dance shop and school/ sports stuff was just over 100! Next time have to think ahead and try for second hand stuff..although to be fair we only need to stock up about once every 2 years and it included 3 pairs of boots or shoes so not sure I would have wanted them to have second hand for these anyway, but a lesson to be learnt re jazz pants, scout shirt etc)
    We had lunch out. 20...DD1 asked to go to a sweet cafe nearby which we all really enjoyed and appreciated ( we are cutting down on this type of thing so it's happening much less frequently)

So if I need evidence of how it all mounts up here it is. Stuck rigidly to the list though so not unexpected. But worth taking stock.

Dinner this eve was leftovers. Fish pie and very yummy if I say so myself. So a meal planner meal up/ saved if you see what I mean.

Last night was lovely and we had a set meal with our friends, some wine, one drink in a pub and then back to ours until the wee hours..( hence the post at 2am jwil!) so fairly restrained spend wise..shattered today though!

Off for early night this eve. I really want to make the choccie biscuits tomorrow and roast a chicken before we go out so will get up early ish.. may make some pancakes again as they were yum. No interest on the car yet..think listed for 10 days. It's on eBay but maybe we should try autotrader, drop price etc..but keen not to be too quick to do that ( or indeed pay more listing fees)

Have a fab weekend all
    Last edited by brizzledfw; 21-01-2012 at 8:16 PM.
    • debtfreewannabe321
    • By debtfreewannabe321 21st Jan 12, 8:47 PM
    • 6,624 Posts
    • 22,333 Thanks
    debtfreewannabe321
    hey

At least you are mindful of the spends now and you know they can't happen all the time so don't feel too bad

How did you get on with the aldi wash powder I also tried it for the first time this month, and have found it really good. I got the powder & bought a box of each lol and both are good so will def use again (after i've used my stock pile of surf up )

xx
    2015 Goals:-#1 419.26/1000 (Emergency..target #1) 41.93% , #2- 14,010.70/15,000 (new house) 93.4% #3 395.07/1000 (Rental house fund target #1) 39.5% .
    Aim High!
    Debt-Free in 2013. Saving for a better future
    • brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 22nd Jan 12, 8:49 PM
    • 6,786 Posts
    • 32,580 Thanks
    brizzledfw
    Hi all

Dfw321 the AL"I wash powder seems good. No rashes or concerns re skin, no bleaching or anything I can tell so will be back for more. Am also trying their shower cleaner etc. we went in this weekend and bulk bought cat food and loo roll. The packed lunch stuff like cheesy Dunkers ( which are a huge treat for my DDs..lord knows why they like them) are a fraction of the other sm prices so we shall see. Flour and sugar and baking staples seem fine. I bought a packet of doritos to go with some avocados we made into guacamole and they are no different taste wise to the more expensive brands..but the price is!!

Can't quite get over it somehow. Only thing is that there is a limited range but if you're flexible and are happy to go elsewhere for some things it seems a great find so can't see us stopping going. The only disappointment was the bread. Bland. But you know I've tried it and that's the main thing.

Well big confession day was yesterday. Today the spend was on works shoes as literally all my others have heels and I can't wear them at the moment. Trainers are OK but can't use forever. Apart from that nothing. Dinner from freezer and stores and baked some lovely biscuits - can really recommend them. Recipe handwritten from a friend so cant be sure think they are Nigellas Xmas chocolate biscuits and they're so easy and very very lush. Lovely treat in the tin for the week ahead..well the next 48 hours anyway!

Had my mortgage statement through for last year. As low interest rate see that approx 20 % of my contractual monthly payment is interest, the rest is capital repayment. We have to capitalise on this in the Brizzle household with overpayments ..need to get shot of the CCs, bring our spending down and then make as many overpayments as we can. Last year we made a lot but withdrew a lot too. A scary amount was withdrawn actually which cannot be repeated.

There endeth the lesson for Brizzle for this weekend

Have a good week folks

Brizzle
    • HappyNow
    • By HappyNow 23rd Jan 12, 5:41 AM
    • 1,313 Posts
    • 5,790 Thanks
    HappyNow
    Hello

I'm having one of my sleepless nights (stiff muscles - nothing to do with my finances this time!) so decided to catch up on a few diaries and came across yours.

Just wanted to say well done on the changes you've made. I find that my diary keeps me motivated more than anything else. When you've bared your financial soul to the MSE world and given a truly honest account of your situation, you really HAVE to do something about it - there's no excuse for excuses!

Keep it up! x
    LBM Dec 2011. Aiming to clear ALL unsecured debt by Feb 2019 (72.72% so far)

Debt Dec 11: Unsecured 69,579 + Mortgage 59,948 = 129,527
    Debt Apr 17: Unsecured 18,977 + Mortgage 44,489 = 63,466 (51.00% paid)
    • brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 23rd Jan 12, 9:32 AM
    • 6,786 Posts
    • 32,580 Thanks
    brizzledfw
    Great to see you popping in HappyNow..(good username by the way..will pop iinto your diary and hopefully find your secret!!)

Agree.it doesn't feel very well, British, does it to talk about money and spends in such detail. To moan about a big mortgage is OK, well mostly to most people , but not the detail. Bearing all on my signature was a milestone for me. Setting out my spends from the weekend just gone another. ( a SoA would be another but I am still building up to that!) Astonishing really as I will talk about anything to everyone really but there's this reserve when it comes down to cash and what you do and don't have.

Am finding the small dfw things thread great too. Gives me a plan for the day. Was going to be tempted to spend a little today on saucers and pots for my root bound plants..but am resisting. i have said I am hoping for a NSD so will keep to that. Think we can recycle some saucers from the cupboard instead and maybe if I have a dig around the shed I can find some larger pots.

On a brighter note (literally) PV panels are picking up. November and December look to have been the lowest months. Think we have made more already in January than we did in the whole of December. Yesterday we made 1.40 which is excellent news. Must send in another reading...

Have a great day all and will post again soon!

Brizzle
    Last edited by brizzledfw; 23-01-2012 at 9:35 AM.
    • brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 23rd Jan 12, 3:08 PM
    • 6,786 Posts
    • 32,580 Thanks
    brizzledfw
    So..update time

Today had lovely time with friend and her LO. Coffee at home and yummy biscuits. Then full pelt in the kitchen, making beef stew from freezer for tomorrow, digging out ends of couple of bags of rice for this eve to have with Brussels and cold chicken (that's leftovers for you!) making vegetable soup from leftovers bulked out with pearl barley..(another back of the larder find) and I made HM rye/white mix bread so as not to even go to the shops and buy bread. Lunches all from fridge too.

The other thing is that several of the dried ingredients were OOD..eg. Rye flour from August 2011, dried milk from April... but in a bid to clear the larder and not to throw anything away ( and not buy anything we don't really need!) well...it has to be done! I hope it all works out

No eggs from the chooks..not a surprise as so little daylight at the moment but would be nice. As they are free range...may have to search the garden too..you never know what I may find!!

So all set for a NSD..yippee

Brizzle
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,486Posts Today

8,245Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Beware the hidden £1,000s parents aren't told they must pay for University fees. My new FT column https://t.co/gDOyZDMCr9 (free to read) RT

• Who do you think came out best in the Corbyn v May battle tonight?

• Clever by Paxman; subtly testing out "strong & stable" by focusing on u-turns on Brexit view, social care, self employed tax & election date

• Follow Martin