Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Archna
    • By MSE Archna 6th Oct 06, 7:00 PM
    • 1,872Posts
    • 5,996Thanks
    MSE Archna
    Council Tax Cost Cutting: reduce your band and grab any discounts Discussion Area
    • 6th Oct 06, 7:00 PM
    Council Tax Cost Cutting: reduce your band and grab any discounts Discussion Area 6th Oct 06 at 7:00 PM
    This thread is here to discuss the content of the article on Council Tax Cashback: reduce your band and save £1000s.

However if you have already followed the system, please use report them in the Council tax rebanding successes discussion.

Note from Martin: Thank you to all the contributers to the initial thread, which provided the genisis for the article. Much appreciated.

Last edited by MSE Archna; 10-06-2010 at 4:39 PM.
    Report inappropriate posts: forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Page 3
  • jamesiebabie
    I thought that if you were out of the time limit (6 months) you could get round this by saying they have a duty to keep the list up to date?
    by Pere Ubu

You are right. If you are out of time, the VOA have a duty to maintain an accurate List. If you have any problems speak to the Group Customer Service Manager and get them to look into it. Also make sure that they record your telephone call on their computer system called CCR. This will mean that you will have an official call and they will have to respond fully within certain time limits.
    Any opinions voiced are entirely my own and in no way represent those of anyone but me.

Check your Council Tax Band on the VOA Website as you could save 1000's - http://www.voa.gov.uk/council_tax/cti_home.htm
  • jamesiebabie
    London
    You can always ask for your details that the VOA hold via the Freedom of Information Act. You will then find out if they have any info at all. You can do this by asking the Group Customer Service Manager. It is always worth a try. If the info they hold does not stack up in your favour it is always worth it.
    Any opinions voiced are entirely my own and in no way represent those of anyone but me.

Check your Council Tax Band on the VOA Website as you could save 1000's - http://www.voa.gov.uk/council_tax/cti_home.htm
  • Sante
    Change in banding in last 6 months....
    After reading this site, thought I would check the banding out on my property which I have just rented out (1st April 2006).. Have found out the council have just changed the banding to a lower one....!! Does anyone know if I would be entitled to get a rebate after years of paying a higher rate.

Doesn't seem fair that after all these years they suddenly decide to change the band...

Would appreciate any help on this one, as the council office said I don't have any claim as I am not living there anymore...
  • jamesiebabie
    After reading this site, thought I would check the banding out on my property which I have just rented out (1st April 2006).. Have found out the council have just changed the banding to a lower one....!! Does anyone know if I would be entitled to get a rebate after years of paying a higher rate.

Doesn't seem fair that after all these years they suddenly decide to change the band...

Would appreciate any help on this one, as the council office said I don't have any claim as I am not living there anymore...
    by Sante
    If I was you I would get back in touch and say that you are still an interested party and have always been interested. Do you know why it was reduced? If it was based on a CT appeal then you should have been informed. The property has not been sold, just rented out. It is always worth a try. Get the council to send you a copy of the law that states that you are not entitled to the rebate, otherwise, you could always approach the Valuation Office and make a claim against them as they had a duty to maintian an accurate list in the begining. Do you know if the other properties near to this property were in a lower band? If they were then the VOA should have done consequential reductions. That is their duty! If they had not performed the consequentials in a reasonable time, then you could make a claim. You may have to go to the Group Customer Service Manager to start the claim.

I hope that helps.

• Sante
    Thanks J....I think the woman on the phone said the other properties were in a lower band already, but cant be sure... Will definately follow your advice and see what I can come up with. No harm in trying. Thanks once again, will keep you posted..
  • Thesaurus
    Renovation council tax holiday 12mths??
    Our local council have told us that we are only allowed 6months. Although we are renovating a property and currently live eslewhere within the borough paying tax on our main abode.

We have also been told that this was applied for once the previous owner deceased and the relatives applied for the 6 month holiday. Therefore we receive even less time to not pay full council tax.

I have telephoned and written to the local council and received no reply. Does any one know if the 12mth rule is a blanket rule for the whole country or can local councils set their own rules in this area?
    • CIS
    • By CIS 19th Oct 06, 9:22 PM
    • 9,975 Posts
    • 5,694 Thanks
    CIS
    Ian guessing that your talking about exemptions rather re-banding.

What may have happened is that once probate was granted on the property the relatives wil have applied for a class C exemption (empty and unfurnished) and unfortunately as the exemption is on the property and not the owners then until there has been a minimum of 6 weeks inhabitation of the property without exemption, you can only ever have whats left of the balance of 6 month class c exemption, if there isnt any balance you go back to standard empty property rate.

Have you applied for a class A exemption ?,only applicable if the proprty is unliveable due to renovation work, but it isnt affected by the fact its been preceeded by a class c.

Your best bet is to find out exactly what exemptions that the previous tenants had, after probate a 6 month exemption can be given, which IIRC when it expires can go to the class C rate for 6months, so its possible that they where still within the class F exemption, allowing you to get the class C.
  • Sante
    Does band A apply to caravans and empty properties?
    • CIS
    • By CIS 19th Oct 06, 9:38 PM
    • 9,975 Posts
    • 5,694 Thanks
    CIS
    Class A exemptions can be applied to any property that uninhabitable due to renovation, standard policy is that we would send out an inspector to check - I doubt they would allow it for a caravan as its the pitch thats taxable, not the caravan - the pitch would have to be uninahbitable IYSWIM.
  • Sante
    Thanks for the clarification on that...wont try and go for the A banding on my property then...lol..
    • CIS
    • By CIS 19th Oct 06, 11:38 PM
    • 9,975 Posts
    • 5,694 Thanks
    CIS
    Thanks for the clarification on that...wont try and go for the A banding on my property then...lol..
    I think theres some confusion crept in here:

The rate of council tax payable on a property depends on the 'Band' ranging from A to H, this is totally independent from Class A/B/c etc exemptions.

If you think your property is an A band rather than a B band , go for it, the exmeptions wouldn't effect what band your in.
  • Sante
    Still can't get round this A Band thing as I have been reading as many of the posts as I can last night and today and have noted that there are some people out there who live in a Band A property and its a house!!!

Yet I spoke with my local Valuation Office this morning to query once again about what constitutes a Band A property and she told me it would be a mobile home or bedsit.... /this is Elmbridge by the way in Surrey.. My property is a one bed maisonette on a council estate. (Was band C now band B)

Does it vary according to what borough you live in?

Also she could not give me what the property was valued at in 1993 as there were no sales in that time!

How can i check the value of my property in 1991/3, is there a website I can go to?

Any comments on this one would be appreciated once again.....:confused:
    • CIS
    • By CIS 20th Oct 06, 12:57 PM
    • 9,975 Posts
    • 5,694 Thanks
    CIS
    A Band A property (as per any band A-H)can be a house or a boat mooring/caravan pitch, it depends on the valuation put on the property/pitch in 1992(or later it was built later) , if you live in an expensive area then its more likley that your property will have been banded higher.
  • Thesaurus
    Class A exemption when to apply?
    Ian guessing that your talking about exemptions rather re-banding.

What may have happened is that once probate was granted on the property the relatives wil have applied for a class C exemption (empty and unfurnished) and unfortunately as the exemption is on the property and not the owners then until there has been a minimum of 6 weeks inhabitation of the property without exemption, you can only ever have whats left of the balance of 6 month class c exemption, if there isnt any balance you go back to standard empty property rate.

Have you applied for a class A exemption ?,only applicable if the proprty is unliveable due to renovation work, but it isnt affected by the fact its been preceeded by a class c.

Your best bet is to find out exactly what exemptions that the previous tenants had, after probate a 6 month exemption can be given, which IIRC when it expires can go to the class C rate for 6months, so its possible that they where still within the class F exemption, allowing you to get the class C.
    by CIS
    Thank you. Would you know when we should apply for the class A exemption?The council informed us that once probate was organised they claimed for exemption. Prior to this the old gentleman lived alone at the property in what you can only describe as appalling conditions. No heating apart from a coal fire, no cooker, filthy bathroom etc.

We have gutted the property and require a new roof, gas central heating electrics, bathroom, kitchen and woodworm treatment along with some wet rot where a leak was left under the bathroom floor. It is certainly not habitable. We plan to move in once a greater proprtion of the work is complete.

Would it be better to wait, or request an inspection now to gain the year exemption in which time we hope to sell our property to help fund the improvements and reduce our mortgage?

We plan to move in to the upstairs, within about six months, whilst the downstairs is not complete so that we have the funds to finish the project. Once we move in will the class A exemption be nullified even though the downstairs will not be habitable?
    • CIS
    • By CIS 20th Oct 06, 1:34 PM
    • 9,975 Posts
    • 5,694 Thanks
    CIS
    You can ask for the class A to be backdated as long as it needs to be, but it would obvioulsy also bring forward the end date of the exemption.

Your best bet is to claim it ASAP and if needed backdate, but once the property is lived in the class A should theoretically end, but best bet is speak to an inspector and see if they can suggest what they would allow or not, at the end of the day thw Ctax dept will take on board any comments made by an inspector - if he says its liveable and the class A should end then it wil be ended.
  • Sante
    Can you check and see what the other properties in your area were banded at, say a year ago?
  • Scully's Girl
    So Happy! We got it reduced from F to E, and we just got the letters in the mail saying we can reclaim a little over £800 for the 5 years we've been here. I'm a bit annoyed they can't just send us a check and we have to instead jump through hoops, but we still get 800 quid.

I'm now off to tell the bloke down the street how he can stop being the only band F on the road.
    Debt & Mortgage free...
  • jamesiebabie
    So Happy! We got it reduced from F to E, and we just got the letters in the mail saying we can reclaim a little over £800 for the 5 years we've been here. I'm a bit annoyed they can't just send us a check and we have to instead jump through hoops, but we still get 800 quid.

I'm now off to tell the bloke down the street how he can stop being the only band F on the road.
    by Scully's Girl
    Well done. Tell as many people as you can!

• Maisie

by Scully's Girl

That's great news Scully's girl. Hope you get the refund soon.

Glad my original post (on the closed thread.)
    'COUNCIL TAX. ARE YOU PAYING MORE THAN YOUR NEIGHBOURS. CHECK IT OUT' has helped so many people get their council tax rebanded and a refund.

You'll be the most popular girl in the street if you tell your neighbour. Drinks all round eh? !!

Enjoy your refund.

C'mon everybody let's hear some more success stories.

Maisie OP
    • misty
    • By misty 22nd Oct 06, 8:55 PM
    • 1,031 Posts
    • 700 Thanks
    misty
    I've come to this thread v late and have read all of it but still a bit unclear. I've checked my property (rented)against the others in the cul de sac. Most are band A but mine - 1 side next door and 1 other further down the road are band B. None of these houses is bigger/smaller etc than any of the band A houses. My next door neighbour on the other side is band A and her house is the mirror image to mine. I've appealed on the website but as I have lived here 10 months, I assume I'll be unsuccessfull. How do I go about the next appeal - do they send you a form or do I just appeal saying it is unfair as the other houses are the same size etc?
    thanks in advance
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,246Posts Today

8,104Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin